The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 13:51:38 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Forest Green Rovers (a)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forest Green Rovers (a)  (Read 7453 times)
Horsham Cobbler

"I'm not a gynaecologist, but I'll take a look"

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
500 Posts Eighth year Anniversary Search
« Reply #100 on: September 13, 2021, 16:06:44 pm »

FGR seemed to have a plan and idea of what to do go forward, we simply didn't have a clue.

(trying very hard not to have a go re data recruiting etc, where you would think they would fit easily into the system)

We battled hard and stop them playing quite a bit, but always felt if they clicked they would score.

Thatīs a good assessment ... I thought on the few occasions be broke well forward with the ball Koiki looked fairly pedestrian and lacking in ideas for bringing the likes of Etete, Pinnock, Rose into play. Nothing snappy when either playing out from the back as runners or through the midfield.
Report Spam   Logged
MCHammer

View Profile
Search 1000 Posts Apple User
« Reply #101 on: September 13, 2021, 21:14:44 pm »

This fixture for me just sums up where we are at the moment.  All new teams take time to gel.  I'd say the defence is far more solid than I expected under Brady and has settled quicker than I would have expected although most of the players in it have good pedigree for this level.

Forest Green have had lots of time to build a side and play the way they do.

I've got loads of patience for Brady this season and I hope others do as well.  Nobody manages to sign all the players they need in one window.  It's a buidling process that has started but not yet finished.  Some of the signings will fail and fall by the wayside while others will thrive.

I know this will sound negative but I hope we have a good season but I genuinely wouldn't mind us not getting promoted as I worry the foundations aren't in place and moving forward too quickly may damage the long term foundations we need to put in place.

I've no doubt the football will get better from an attacking perspective just need to be patient and not expect too much too soon.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #102 on: September 13, 2021, 21:39:37 pm »

This fixture for me just sums up where we are at the moment.  All new teams take time to gel.  I'd say the defence is far more solid than I expected under Brady and has settled quicker than I would have expected although most of the players in it have good pedigree for this level.

Forest Green have had lots of time to build a side and play the way they do.

I've got loads of patience for Brady this season and I hope others do as well.  Nobody manages to sign all the players they need in one window.  It's a buidling process that has started but not yet finished.  Some of the signings will fail and fall by the wayside while others will thrive.

I know this will sound negative but I hope we have a good season but I genuinely wouldn't mind us not getting promoted as I worry the foundations aren't in place and moving forward too quickly may damage the long term foundations we need to put in place.

I've no doubt the football will get better from an attacking perspective just need to be patient and not expect too much too soon.

Sensible summary MCH - I too feel that the football may get better but unlike you hope that Brady does secure promotion this season. I also believe that the foundations have already been laid with the appointment of J Brady. With Newport appearing to be improving game by game and we still a puzzle in midfield!
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #103 on: September 13, 2021, 21:50:17 pm »

FGR seemed to have a plan and idea of what to do go forward, we simply didn't have a clue.

(trying very hard not to have a go re data recruiting etc, where you would think they would fit easily into the system)

We battled hard and stop them playing quite a bit, but always felt if they clicked they would score.

From what I saw FGR were the more confident of the two sides particularly second half. This was exemplified by their midfields ability to maintain consistent pressure during that period after which they scored. The strange thing is FGR supporters seemed to treat the goal as a bit underwhelming. Judging by your comments would suggest you are more articulate on the games we play as opposed to your somewhat uncoordinated comments on Exeter and your arch - enemies on the NTFC board. Square pegs and round holes!
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Madrid Cobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #104 on: September 14, 2021, 07:24:51 am »

No team can choose the season to get promoted. You can have the foundations in place and have a bad season or you can go up without the foundations in place, as we did with KC. It really doesn't make much difference in the end as, either way, we always seem to lose a number of key players and have to start all over again when we get to L1 in any case. That's the biggest problem.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3338

« Reply #105 on: September 14, 2021, 09:23:07 am »

No team can choose the season to get promoted. You can have the foundations in place and have a bad season or you can go up without the foundations in place, as we did with KC. It really doesn't make much difference in the end as, either way, we always seem to lose a number of key players and have to start all over again when we get to L1 in any case. That's the biggest problem.
My thoughts entirely.
What are these 'foundarions' people speak of anyway? Beyond signing a better class of player in the summer window, what else is ever going to change at this club?
Or are we talking about ground developments...that would be a novel way forward?
Report Spam   Logged
guest3086

« Reply #106 on: September 14, 2021, 11:57:50 am »

Or are we talking about ground developments...that would be a novel way forward?

That is an outrageous suggestion!
Report Spam   Logged
MCHammer

View Profile
Search 1000 Posts Apple User
« Reply #107 on: September 14, 2021, 13:15:26 pm »

I din't say you could pick and choose when to get promoted I simply said I wouldn't mind if we didn't this season as we aren't ready and it could actually cause more damage than good.

What I mean by this is that I think Jon Brady needs time to build something and that is, in my opinion, more easily achieved in league two.  In this division there is more likelehood he will be able to bring through young players, implement his coaching ideas and build a side in his own image.

The new recruitment processes will take time to be embedded and bear fruit and I'm hopeful we can improve further our training facilities and methods over time.

I rate Brady highly as a coach and for once I feel like we have a manager that's in it for the long haul and wants to make a genuine difference to the club as a whole not just get a promotion on his CV and move to a better job.

But of course underlying all of this is the bread and butter of winning games of football so you keep that job and giving you that time to build.  My opinion is all of the above would be massively more difficult to achieve in the league above.  If we went up and then struggled he would inevitably get sacked and we would be back to square one.
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #108 on: September 16, 2021, 14:36:38 pm »

My thoughts entirely.
What are these 'foundarions' people speak of anyway? Beyond signing a better class of player in the summer window, what else is ever going to change at this club?
Think Kidderminster Harriers back in 94 for anyone who thinks all proceeds should only be ploughed into the team...though the Cobblers did alright out of it!
Report Spam   Logged
guest49

« Reply #109 on: September 16, 2021, 15:12:15 pm »

I din't say you could pick and choose when to get promoted I simply said I wouldn't mind if we didn't this season as we aren't ready and it could actually cause more damage than good.

What I mean by this is that I think Jon Brady needs time to build something and that is, in my opinion, more easily achieved in league two.  In this division there is more likelehood he will be able to bring through young players, implement his coaching ideas and build a side in his own image.

The new recruitment processes will take time to be embedded and bear fruit and I'm hopeful we can improve further our training facilities and methods over time.

I rate Brady highly as a coach and for once I feel like we have a manager that's in it for the long haul and wants to make a genuine difference to the club as a whole not just get a promotion on his CV and move to a better job.

But of course underlying all of this is the bread and butter of winning games of football so you keep that job and giving you that time to build.  My opinion is all of the above would be massively more difficult to achieve in the league above.  If we went up and then struggled he would inevitably get sacked and we would be back to square one.

I'd disagree a little. Sure, his first promotion didn't do Curly a lot of good but we have a stronger backroom team (on paper) to be in a better position.
It would probably all come down to the resources we are afforded to compete.
Last seasons relegation was an absolute waste, so the quicker we get back up the better.

If he does see some success then I'm sure Brady will either stay or go regardless. There is something about him that makes me think he is a bit different to the likes of Wilder and happier with his lot, probably not as ambitious, although could be totally wrong. Every man has his price and he is still young. A good start would be to have a manager who can keep us in League one for a few seasons! 
You're right about him getting the bullet if it goes pear shaped. We've never been a club to hang on and see how things pan out! You have to take the promotions whenever they come.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: