The Hotel End
April 19, 2024, 13:57:42 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Łalford City Away 25.09.21

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Łalford City Away 25.09.21  (Read 11991 times)
EB Claret

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts
« Reply #140 on: September 29, 2021, 13:19:40 pm »

All I could see when from my bedroom window when I was a kid was a field full of cows. In my teens I switched my allegiance from Flore Rovers to the Cobblers, is that OK? or should I be ashamed of myself?
I don't live in Flore now and even the cows have gone and the field is full of houses, I have watched the Cobblers for forty odd years now, please advise?
Report Spam   Logged
guest3086

« Reply #141 on: September 29, 2021, 13:23:16 pm »

All I could see when from my bedroom window when I was a kid was a field full of cows. In my teens I switched my allegiance from Flore Rovers to the Cobblers, is that OK? or should I be ashamed of myself?
I don't live in Flore now and even the cows have gone and the field is full of houses, I have watched the Cobblers for forty odd years now, please advise?

You need to support the Yachtsmen. Obvs.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #142 on: September 29, 2021, 14:14:59 pm »

Bet that's over a few heads.... clever tho'
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
EB Claret

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 29, 2021, 14:27:22 pm »

Which team though? East or West?
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #144 on: September 29, 2021, 14:47:50 pm »

Of course you can support any side - but to be meaningful it might be best to have some soul allegiance. No matter the results you just merely put up with it and hope for better. Most school boys adopt an interest in the team in the news. So for me it was Newcastle United and their FA Cup exploits. In a visit to Scotland my parents stayed over night near Cowdenbeath so that became a family talisman to follow. My Father used to watch Everton of Dixie Dean fame. Most people adopt the team in the Town they have lived in. Some of this explains the two astonishing attendances at Wembley last Century!

Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Shoemender

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Second year Anniversary
« Reply #145 on: September 29, 2021, 17:06:49 pm »

Nothing to be ashamed about supporting your local county football league team. When you supported Flore Rovers did you follow them home and away?
Report Spam   Logged
EB Claret

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 29, 2021, 18:50:49 pm »

Nothing to be ashamed about supporting your local county football league team. When you supported Flore Rovers did you follow them home and away?

Only saw Flore play away once can't remember where, but it was probably as far as Weedon or even Heyford!!
Main thing I remember was a player nicknamed 'Killer', not surprisingly he was quite a physical sort who loved a 'tackle'!
Report Spam   Logged
Shoemender

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 29, 2021, 19:19:03 pm »

Only saw Flore play away once can't remember where, but it was probably as far as Weedon or even Heyford!!
Main thing I remember was a player nicknamed 'Killer', not surprisingly he was quite a physical sort who loved a 'tackle'!
Part timer.😆
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #148 on: September 29, 2021, 21:27:30 pm »

the simple fact is … you are born to support a team , you can’t choose to support a team …
Of course , you can have a soft spot for another team but that is not in your blood.
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #149 on: September 30, 2021, 09:45:00 am »

the simple fact is … you are born to support a team , you can’t choose to support a team …
Of course , you can have a soft spot for another team but that is not in your blood.

Sounds good...but absolute tosh!
You have never been in a position clearly...but still think you can pontificate!

I lived in Latvia for eight years, and was a formative member of FK Riga's only ever fan group or base...later Cool Cats (my idea). They literally had no fans, save WAGS and odd bloke - entrance was then free, prior to myself, girlfriend and then a dozen, sometimes up to forty or so who would travel everywhere!

Songs in Latvian and some translated into English, flags (the 4 metre one made it Darlington at the Reynolds Arena) smoke bombs and the camaraderie is probably what I miss most about my time there!
FK Rīga went out of business, having finally made the European Intertoto, beating Bohemians before losing to Elfsborg, the year we moved to England in 2008!

I agree to a small extent about there only being one team, but so many external factors can and do affect such sweeping soundbite statements!
Report Spam   Logged
Horsham Cobbler

"I'm not a gynaecologist, but I'll take a look"

View Profile
500 Posts Eighth year Anniversary Search
« Reply #150 on: September 30, 2021, 11:22:58 am »

I guess I buck the trend, having moved from 'Big' to NTFC.

As a 10-year old I decided to support Chelsea when I watched them played Leeds in the 1970/71 cup final games. My dad took me to Stamford Bridge once and we also watched them play a couple of time at Highfield Road.

I have never lived in Northants but went to Nene College in '79 where, in the absence of any bands playing or decent movies showing, I made the classic mistake of going to watch a tuesday night Cobblers game. The following 40-odd years, as they say, is history.

And I don't look out for the Chelsea score.
Report Spam   Logged
CobblerForever

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 30, 2021, 12:08:35 pm »

You have never been in a position clearly...but still think you can pontificate!

I lived in Latvia for eight years, and was a formative member of FK Riga's only ever fan group or base...later Cool Cats (my idea). They literally had no fans, save WAGS and odd bloke - entrance was then free, prior to myself, girlfriend and then a dozen, sometimes up to forty or so who would travel everywhere!

Songs in Latvian and some translated into English, flags (the 4 metre one made it Darlington at the Reynolds Arena) smoke bombs and the camaraderie is probably what I miss most about my time there!
FK Rīga went out of business, having finally made the European Intertoto, beating Bohemians before losing to Elfsborg, the year we moved to England in 2008!

I agree to a small extent about there only being one team, but so many external factors can and do affect such sweeping soundbite statements!

What drew you to the Cobblers ?
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 30, 2021, 12:48:43 pm »

What drew you to the Cobblers ?
Ha, good question...I get attracted to the underdog and s***e teams - hence FK Rīga not Skonto, Torino not Juve, Rayo Vallecano not... Grin

Actually, lived in Northampton till I was five or six years old, then driving over every Saturday with family to visit my gran, as a kid. She lived in Kingsley, the big (as a nine year old) imposing maroon facade of the main stand on Abington Avenue drew me.
Cavernous stands, clicking of turnstiles, singing in the Hotel End, John Farrington et-al did the rest!
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #153 on: September 30, 2021, 14:17:22 pm »

Personally don’t really get why people get so precious about the number of supporters a club has or why and how fans choose to support their clubs. Just because a team has a big following for me it doesn’t make them any better or deserving than those less supported.

It’s often mentioned that we should aim for the championship, if (by some miracle!) we did achieve that would we then be the tinpot club who didn’t deserve to be there?.

Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #154 on: September 30, 2021, 15:10:52 pm »

RANGERS FC
Blue noses are born not manufactured
We do not choose, We are chosen
Those that don’t understand don’t matter
Those that understand need no explanation!
WE ARE THE PEOPLE
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Coolcat

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 30, 2021, 18:24:49 pm »

RANGERS FC
Blue noses are born not manufactured
We do not choose, We are chosen
Those that don’t understand don’t matter
Those that understand need no explanation!
WE ARE THE PEOPLE
Does that include every Stone Island clad lad this side of the border that thinks it makes them more British to don a shirt in Benidorm and elsewhere?  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
guest3086

« Reply #156 on: September 30, 2021, 18:57:36 pm »

Does that include every Stone Island clad lad this side of the border that thinks it makes them more British to don a shirt in Benidorm and elsewhere?  Wink

Is Stone Island in the Caribbean?
Report Spam   Logged
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
Search 5000 Posts Level 6
« Reply #157 on: September 30, 2021, 20:30:00 pm »

Another thread dominated by self righteous hypocrisy.

What is it with people, that they honestly think they have any right to tell anyone what to do or follow in their lives. As long as you’re not hurting someone, or breaking a law, what the fcuk does it matter.

I know 100's of Cobblers supporters who have a soft spot for prem teams, or even non prem teams. Nobody is a bigger or better supporter based on the twaddle in this thread. The bar/criteria isn’t set by pious divs on here, who spout unwritten rules about gauging someone’s affiliation.

Report Spam   Logged
Shoemender

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 30, 2021, 21:05:00 pm »

Another thread dominated by self righteous hypocrisy.

What is it with people, that they honestly think they have any right to tell anyone what to do or follow in their lives. As long as you’re not hurting someone, or breaking a law, what the fcuk does it matter.

I know 100's of Cobblers supporters who have a soft spot for prem teams, or even non prem teams. Nobody is a bigger or better supporter based on the twaddle in this thread. The bar/criteria isn’t set by pious divs on here, who spout unwritten rules about gauging someone’s affiliation.

Hardly dominated. Probably 8 or 9 posts of people suggesting that it would be better to support your local team than pick a successful team at random with whom you have no affilliation, when you're a kid, at the expense of the place you were born, raised, live, went to school, work and will probably die. Just because you don't support a prem or non prem team as well as NTFC doesn't make you a div.
Report Spam   Logged
guest1269

« Reply #159 on: September 30, 2021, 21:28:02 pm »

Ever tried disagreeing with someone’s opinion without being so patronising?
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: