The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 16:59:40 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Northampton Town Women

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Northampton Town Women  (Read 10991 times)
Manwork04

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2021, 09:04:46 am »

https://www.englandmmna.com/
Unfortunately you are very misinformed.
Yours and others comments posted either seriously or intended as humour reveal a lot about yourselves that is not acceptable nor welcome on this board.
I'm sure that you will be able to find another forum to display your overt misogyny, don't use this one.
This is a ridiculous overreaction mate, we all wish the girls every success, it’s a bit of banter, the way the world is going free speech will soon be lost in a vanilla world of apologies.
The woke element of our society fuel racism by labelling literally everything as either misogynistic, racist or discrimination.
Is it no wonder the right wing in just about every country is growing.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
606 Parklands_Cobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Mobile User
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2021, 09:18:06 am »

This is a ridiculous overreaction mate, we all wish the girls every success, it’s a bit of banter, the way the world is going free speech will soon be lost in a vanilla world of apologies.
The woke element of our society fuel racism by labelling literally everything as either misogynistic, racist or discrimination.
Is it no wonder the right wing in just about every country is growing.

Based on the news about Rafiq and the YCCC racism scandal, you might want to be thinking 'am I personally doing the right thing/do I have the skills to realise if people might be uncomfortable when I call things 'banter', either based around race or sex?' ...instead of lazily using lines that come out of the Daily Mail without a thought.

The women's team should be playing at a better location than a playing field out in the sticks, and a set number of games at Sixfields per year.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 09:20:24 am by 606 Parklands_Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged
Carton Lid

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2021, 09:22:48 am »

Yours and others comments posted either seriously or intended as humour reveal a lot about yourselves that is not acceptable nor welcome on this board.
I'm sure that you will be able to find another forum to display your overt misogyny, don't use this one.
Come Deepcut, this is the first time I've seen anything from an administrator for ages. We didn't even see anything when one of the other administrators commented about our own supporters travelling on "The Covid Bus" without any reprimand or apogee. I found that a lot more offensive than what CJ posted which was, more than likely, tongue in cheek.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2021, 09:38:29 am »

Don't see there ever being mixed teams at the professional level but could happen at semi pro maybe.

As we know there are female officials, and I dont think it will be too long until we see a female coach a mens team. I know there is one already in the lower leagues.
It was interesting when the Chelsea women's manager was mentioned for the AFC Wimbledon job and she essentially said they couldn't afford her and why would she go from coaching world class players to the lower men's league.

I hope the Chelsea Woman’s Manager did not suggest as outlined in your final para. To me it is an arrogant statement lacking any sympathy or even respect for AFC. Please advise the source of this information so I can judge for myself. Also why post under the guise of a so called guest?
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
guest3338

« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2021, 09:41:39 am »

It was largely tongue in cheek Carton, you're right but there is a serious side to this.

To answer DC.
Not really, no. Less than 1% of all netballers are men (as of 20 odd years ago. Wiki) which kind of supports my view that it's a ladies only sport in which men 'don't mess'.
Comparing netball to football and highlighting the difference in representation of the sexes within the sports and asking why is not in my view misogyny.
If you want to accuse me of anything, try a poor or unappreciated sense of humour.

Why do you think ladies football isn't played at Sixfields? Why do you think Curle made us train at Sixfields? Why do you think other managers don't want us to train at Sixfields?

When I go to watch a game of football I want to be impressed by what I see. I want to watch players do things that I wasn't capable of even when I was their age. I might be wrong but I don't think I'd be impressed if I watched the Cobblers ladies football team. I might be if I watched the WSL, but I don't. I can't get past the standard of goalkeeping to be frank. If there is a WFA (Is there?) they should implement changes to the rule book and reduce the size of the goals IMO.

Better still though, football should be a sport, that doesn't distinguish between the sexes. Men and women should play in the same teams and against each other. Let ladies find their own particular level within the footballing pyramid. I think kids play unisex football these days don't they, why not adults?
Just like exists in your area of the sport...refereeing.

In fact that's my mantra regards sport generally. There should be no artificial barriers or classes between the sexes or between the able bodied and the disabled. The point i made earlier about intersex athletes/sports people is a serious one. If there was only one Olympic 200m competition rather than a female and male event this issue would not exist. Sport has never been a level playing field with regard to the sexes or physical abilities and never will be. What constitutes a 'sex' and what constitutes a 'physical disadvantage''? I was fortunate enough to be a track and field athlete of decent status when I was in my teens and twenties and I can tell you I was absolutely disadvantaged physically when compared to some because of my stature, my Caucasian status with my inherent anatomy and physiology. I found my level though and enjoyed the sport for what it was.

As for watching football, I limit myself to live Cobblers matches, MOTD, EFL highlights and live games shown on terrestrial TV only. I have no time or desire for ladies football. I wish them well but as Mysterious Curle has said, this is probably about supply and demand of which atm I am obviousky still indicative of the local population at least.

I recently sat through a series of Phil Campion lectures after which he held a question and answer session. One of the questions after he'd got through the nonsense surrounding how realistic were these TV programme competitions based around SAS selection was should women be allowed to join the Regiment? I found his answer satisfyingly reassuring...after admitting that for all he knew there might already be women blades, it was yes but only on absolute merit.
If only sport were that simple.

Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2021, 10:05:00 am »

Based on the news about Rafiq and the YCCC racism scandal, you might want to be thinking 'am I personally doing the right thing/do I have the skills to realise if people might be uncomfortable when I call things 'banter', either based around race or sex?' ...instead of lazily using lines that come out of the Daily Mail without a thought.

The women's team should be playing at a better location than a playing field out in the sticks, and a set number of games at Sixfields per year.
I would seriously advise you to stop wishing people who don’t agree with you to die, maybe then I would read the utter drivel you post.
You are completely irrelevant.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
singcobb

View Profile
Level 6 Avatar Linux User
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2021, 10:13:31 am »

Why?

If you can't be bothered to read the whole thread don't ask questions that are already answered.
Report Spam   Logged
606 Parklands_Cobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Mobile User
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2021, 10:24:21 am »

I would seriously advise you to stop wishing people who don’t agree with you to die, maybe then I would read the utter drivel you post.
You are completely irrelevant.

Ok I take it back I hope you live for ever. Fancy changing your mind now? What is the point in having it otherwise.
Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2021, 10:41:36 am »

I get a lot of what you are saying CJ but I'm afraid I don't agree with most of it. If you look at sports like darts, snooker or bowling then there's absolutely no reason men and women can't compete on an equal basis. In sports that require a degree of physicality though then men will always have a physical advantage (well, similarly trained men will; I'm sure any female athlete would hand any of us our sorry arses on a plate if we took them on!)

That's not misogyny, it's just biology.

If women were competing head to head with men of similar ability then I think in many sports they wouldn't even be close. Taking a fairly arbitrary example of the 100m, the fastest time ever recorded by a woman is 10.49 seconds by Florence Griffith-Joyner. That would put her around about the 6,300 mark in the men's table (figures courtesy of worldathletics.org). She can rightfully claim to be the fastest woman ever, but claiming to be the 6,300th fastest person ever carries far less cache. So where would the motivation or achievement be? A woman would almost certainly never stand a chance when running a 100m against male sprinters, they'd never make the podium and probably wouldn't even qualify. Who'd participate in a sport they couldn't win? All it would do is drive women out of sport.

OK, that's a fairly extreme example and in a lot of other sports it's probably a bit of a greyer area, but this one is nicely quantifiable for the sake of an example. I suspect you'd see similar things if you looked at throwing, jumping or lifting events.

To address one point you make in particular though:

I might be wrong but I don't think I'd be impressed if I watched the Cobblers ladies football team.

I'll put my hands up here, I haven't watched the Cobblers Ladies play either, but I'm quite interested in doing so, I'd just rather do so sitting in a stadium than standing in a field. What I have watched though is the Cobblers girls sides as they used to play in the same league as my daughter's team.

And do you know what? They were bloody brilliant. Genuinely skillful players playing a good quality of football and really playing as a team. They were head and shoulders above every other team at that level and absolutely destroyed the opposition in every game they played. My daughter gave up playing (apparently football couldn't compete with slouching on a sofa watching TikTok videos and having inane facetime calls once she hit her teens) but I believe the Cobblers Girls team ended up playing in the boys league as it's the only way they could get a decent match.

I wouldn't be so quick to make snap judgements without seeing them as you may be surprised!

Having said all that, I wish the BBC would give women's football its own results page on their website as I'm fed up of scrolling past all the women's scores to get to the League 2 ones... Grin
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2021, 10:48:53 am »

I have played hockey at similar fields in the ‘sticks’ as you eloquently put it; to me it is a case of supply and demand. Womens football as a spectacle although attracting more attention now than ever before does not as yet attract the same spectator interest as mens football. On TV it is shoved into unsuitable time slots and very much an afterthought in most national news papers. Furthermore playing at a stadium in front of a few hundred people if that, is not a sound commercial proposition for NTFC to incur on a regular basis?  Perhaps you have the means to finance Ladies Football at Sixfields; if not justify your comments with practical commercial proposals.

Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2021, 11:18:50 am »

If you can't be bothered to read the whole thread don't ask questions that are already answered.

That’s a poor reply  - please justify your comments with more details/facts/proposals to support your comment.To issue bland statements on here without any justification is a fatal flaw on your part.
Report Spam   Logged

singcobb

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2021, 12:25:15 pm »

That’s a poor reply  - please justify your comments with more details/facts/proposals to support your comment.To issue bland statements on here without any justification is a fatal flaw on your part.

Just read and you will find out, wether or not you understand is another matter.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2021, 15:29:47 pm »

Just read and you will find out, wether or not you understand is another matter.

Thank you for your patronising reply Roll Eyes.

I have reread your emotive comments in support of Ladies Football at Sixfields. Plenty of good ideas and support but no mention of financial support. I broadly agree with the idea of the Ladies playing at Sixfields but the right has to be earned and that can take time? You trumpet well for the Ladies to play at Sixfields(regularly); are these Ladies semi or even full professional players? You campaign for the privilege to play at  Sixfields detailing free or significantly reduced entry admission and refreshments is great publicity. Not once do you bother to discuss the financial lmplications to the Club, the Vendors etc. Let alone up keep of the ground. It’s all very well posturing great ideas without considering the financial implications of supporting the Ladies but they should also contribute to the costs as no doubt you will. Please try to debate this issue without resorting to dubious snide and unnecessary add ons. It demeans the conversation.
Report Spam   Logged

guest3338

« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2021, 15:59:25 pm »

I get a lot of what you are saying CJ but I'm afraid I don't agree with most of it. If you look at sports like darts, snooker or bowling then there's absolutely no reason men and women can't compete on an equal basis. In sports that require a degree of physicality though then men will always have a physical advantage (well, similarly trained men will; I'm sure any female athlete would hand any of us our sorry arses on a plate if we took them on!)

If women were competing head to head with men of similar ability then I think in many sports they wouldn't even be close. Taking a fairly arbitrary example of the 100m, the fastest time ever recorded by a woman is 10.49 seconds by Florence Griffith-Joyner. That would put her around about the 6,300 mark in the men's table (figures courtesy of worldathletics.org). She can rightfully claim to be the fastest woman ever, but claiming to be the 6,300th fastest person ever carries far less cache. So where would the motivation or achievement be? A woman would almost certainly never stand a chance when running a 100m against male sprinters, they'd never make the podium and probably wouldn't even qualify. Who'd participate in a sport they couldn't win? All it would do is drive women out of sport.

OK, that's a fairly extreme example and in a lot of other sports it's probably a bit of a greyer area, but this one is nicely quantifiable for the sake of an example. I suspect you'd see similar things if you looked at throwing, jumping or lifting events.

I'll put my hands up here, I haven't watched the Cobblers Ladies play either, but I'm quite interested in doing so, I'd just rather do so sitting in a stadium than standing in a field. What I have watched though is the Cobblers girls sides as they used to play in the same league as my daughter's team.

And do you know what? They were bloody brilliant. Genuinely skillful players playing a good quality of football and really playing as a team. They were head and shoulders above every other team at that level and absolutely destroyed the opposition in every game they played. My daughter gave up playing (apparently football couldn't compete with slouching on a sofa watching TikTok videos and having inane facetime calls once she hit her teens) but I believe the Cobblers Girls team ended up playing in the boys league as it's the only way they could get a decent match.

I wouldn't be so quick to make snap judgements without seeing them as you may be surprised!

Having said all that, I wish the BBC would give women's football its own results page on their website as I'm fed up of scrolling past all the women's scores to get to the League 2 ones... Grin
The only example of 'ladies playing football' I've seen in the flesh is from some of the displays that the kids have put on at halftime at Sixfields and I'd agree that some individuals have surprised me with how good their ball skills have been. But I suppose the playground stuff that I remember as a kid is not a true reflection of a game itself. There were always lads at my school who could juggle a ball in the air seemingly all break time and were fantastic at playing on a limited sized tarmac surface but that didn't always translate on the pitch. Taking onboard what you say though, If Cobblers ladies start playing at Sixfields, providing entrance is not too high, perhaps like you I should take in a game to satisfy curiosity my then?
Regards there being no incentive if women competed directly against men, why is that any different from NTFC competing for example in the FA Cup? We will have only a marginally more realistic chance of winning the Cup than a lady would of winning the men's 100m Olympic final I would think, but that doesn't stop players from wanting to compete and thousands from watching us.
Regards biology in sport, absolutely I agree there will always be a difference between the average male and female.
You use Flo Jo as an example... Just as a  foot note to that stat of 6900 men having run quicker (and leaving her suspected use of performance enhancing drugs to one side), at the time she ran her world record less than a thousand men had ever run quicker. The sport has come on some since then though, sports science and better coaching has improved the times of men's ecord sprinting but not yet the ladies and that only casts further doubt on FJ's credibility in my opinion.
Sprints and horizontal jumps is 'what I did' in my teens and twenties so I have an invested interest in this. There is another stat concerning inequalities amongst purely male sprinters that you might find interesting if you don't already know of it. When Christophe Lemaitre broke 10 seconds in 2011 he was the first white man ever to do so legally (electronically timed and wind legal) but at that time 70 other sprinters of colour had already broken the ten second barrier. Now in 2021 circa 140 sprinters in total have broken ten seconds and I don't think many if any more of those have been white. There is inequality in sport beyond the sexes.
Thanks for the link to those lists, I haven't seen it before. I have to hold my hand up and say I'm only 0.05 of a second off making the alltime 100m mens list, not bad considering my legal pb goes back to 1983. My first athletics coach had a saying, a good 'big one' will always beat a good 'small one'. Not absolutely true but a good pointer in the main. Considering I only have a 28.5 inch inside leg and am white I didn't do too bad!
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2021, 16:44:52 pm »

I think the take away from this section...is that women are rubbish at running!  Grin

Do agree, as stated previously, it would give the NTFC Ladies set up a more professional feel if they could play at a recognised ground or stadium, if not always at Sixfields.

Will try and get to Lye/Stourbridge for the next round...good place for a couple (that's just two!) ales.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3338

« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2021, 17:53:36 pm »

I think the take away from this section...is that women are rubbish at running!  Grin

Do agree, as stated previously, it would give the NTFC Ladies set up a more professional feel if they could play at a recognised ground or stadium, if not always at Sixfields.

Will try and get to Lye/Stourbridge for the next round...good place for a couple (that's just two!) ales.
Is that rubbish at running as well as football?!
Report Spam   Logged
singcobb

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2021, 18:32:24 pm »

Thank you for your patronising reply Roll Eyes.

I have reread your emotive comments in support of Ladies Football at Sixfields. Plenty of good ideas and support but no mention of financial support. I broadly agree with the idea of the Ladies playing at Sixfields but the right has to be earned and that can take time? You trumpet well for the Ladies to play at Sixfields(regularly); are these Ladies semi or even full professional players? You campaign for the privilege to play at  Sixfields detailing free or significantly reduced entry admission and refreshments is great publicity. Not once do you bother to discuss the financial lmplications to the Club, the Vendors etc. Let alone up keep of the ground. It’s all very well posturing great ideas without considering the financial implications of supporting the Ladies but they should also contribute to the costs as no doubt you will. Please try to debate this issue without resorting to dubious snide and unnecessary add ons. It demeans the conversation.

What you fail to grasp is the obvious. It is an opinion, not a statement of fact. Therefore does not require re-inforcement with stats or some of Melly's business accumen.
If I could be bothered to do some more acurate figures it would be because I would be passing them on to someone who could make a decision.
Report Spam   Logged
MCHammer

View Profile
Search 1000 Posts Apple User
« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2021, 19:06:12 pm »

What a shame that a thread that should be celebrating a highly successful, hard working and talented womens side should be spoilt by pages of pointless debate and argument most of which by old men who have barely if ever seen the side play.

The womens setup is full of some of the most hard working individuals I've ever met in amateur football.  The success on the pitch and the profile off the pitch has been massively elevated in recent years through pure hard work and commitment and is a real success story that is nowhere near finished yet.

The results while impressive are on occasions pretty one sided but that's because the side through no fault of their own are playing at a level below that in which they should be.

I know for a fact they would love to play every home match at Sixfields and that is their ambition however they also know they have to earn that right both on the pitch through performances and off the pitch through support/profile.  I hope they achieve everything they are aiming for and all of us as supporters of the club should be immensely proud of what they have and will achieve in the future.
Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2021, 19:11:38 pm »

But I suppose the playground stuff that I remember as a kid is not a true reflection of a game itself. There were always lads at my school who could juggle a ball in the air seemingly all break time and were fantastic at playing on a limited sized tarmac surface but that didn't always translate on the pitch.

A bit of a tangent here, but that reminds me of a sports expo I went to a few years ago at Olympia. They had some group of football freestylers doing demonstrations of their ball skills, which it has to be said were very impressive. Later in the day there was a 5 a side tournament featuring teams made up of representatives of the various companies that were sponsoring the event (one of which featured my mate). These freestylers also entered a team. This'll be a massacre, we thought. And it was, just not the way we expected - every single corporate team whupped them, because every time one of them got the ball they tried to do something clever with it and immediately got barged off the ball!!
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
guest3338

« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2021, 19:48:36 pm »

A bit of a tangent here, but that reminds me of a sports expo I went to a few years ago at Olympia. They had some group of football freestylers doing demonstrations of their ball skills, which it has to be said were very impressive. Later in the day there was a 5 a side tournament featuring teams made up of representatives of the various companies that were sponsoring the event (one of which featured my mate). These freestylers also entered a team. This'll be a massacre, we thought. And it was, just not the way we expected - every single corporate team whupped them, because every time one of them got the ball they tried to do something clever with it and immediately got barged off the ball!!
Sounds about right BOTN.
I once briefly worked for a sportswear manufacturer and did the trade shows for them (not sure I know the difference between an expo and a trade show tbh so we might not be talking of the same type of event here) but the main highlight of the week back then was the after show 'show' normally involving ladies who would take their clothes off to music. Grin
I don't suppose they do that sort of thing now, do they?!
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: