The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 18:54:23 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Hartlepool United (a)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hartlepool United (a)  (Read 9952 times)
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #180 on: October 10, 2021, 12:04:07 pm »

I blame Etete for the second goal yesterday. He made a terrific run and the team moved forward to support him. He looks to be completely bereft of confidence in the final third, so instead of taking it on himself as you'd expect a striker with a modicum of form to do, he opted to roll it into the path of the onrushing Connelly. Unfortunately he played an awful pass behind Connelly, which the defenders just stepped up to collect and caught us on the counter.

He's a frustrating player. He has obvious ability, it just looks like his confidence is in tatters so his final ball, be it a shot, cross or pass, invariably turns out to be s***!
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
Zen Master

Taxi to Kings Heath mate?

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #181 on: October 10, 2021, 12:07:48 pm »

Strikers graveyard. We could turn Ronaldo into a misfiring dud.
Report Spam   Logged

I think someone should just take this city of Peterborough and just... just flush it down the f***in' toilet

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2022
EB Claret

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts
« Reply #182 on: October 10, 2021, 12:37:38 pm »

Watched the game on i-player...

I thought we played some superb stuff, the performance itself warranted 3 points and with some ease.

Unfortunately though our forwards continue to demonstrate a total ineptness when it comes to either their final ball or their finishing...the Ete/Connolly moment 10 seconds before they scored their winner kind of wrapped up the whole of this season so far in one moment.

We can only hope that they are all 'doing a Parkin' or 'doing a Rico first spell here' and after several months things will suddenly click and they start scoring regularly. If they don't then it will be a bloody long run through to January. At that point we would surely need to offload at least two of the four and bring in better option/s. That said, it never seems to happen for us in that window and we'd probably end up with another Edmunson or Sinclair!

Ill keep the faith for now. But Im rapidly losing motivation for this season because our football in the final third of the pitch just isn't good enough and hasn't been now for 15 games league and cup. 15 goals, one goal a game = a big struggle!

Agree with your comments. My worry is that Rico in his first season, while not scoring too often, was frequently hitting the woodwork (wasn't it 12 or 14 times in the season?) Our current strikers don't even know where the posts are! Shocked
Report Spam   Logged
CobblerForever

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 10, 2021, 12:48:38 pm »

I blame Etete for the second goal yesterday. He made a terrific run and the team moved forward to support him. He looks to be completely bereft of confidence in the final third, so instead of taking it on himself as you'd expect a striker with a modicum of form to do, he opted to roll it into the path of the onrushing Connelly. Unfortunately he played an awful pass behind Connelly, which the defenders just stepped up to collect and caught us on the counter.

He's a frustrating player. He has obvious ability, it just looks like his confidence is in tatters so his final ball, be it a shot, cross or pass, invariably turns out to be ****!

His missed penalty against Walsall was especially poor as well. Unfortunately, he's the best we've got. 
Report Spam   Logged
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #184 on: October 10, 2021, 14:11:35 pm »

He's a frustrating player. He has obvious ability, it just looks like his confidence is in tatters so his final ball, be it a shot, cross or pass, invariably turns out to be ****!

IMO Brady needs to persist with Etete as the lone striker in a 4-2-3-1.

As you say, the ability and physical attributes are definitely there but he needs to work on the tactical and psychological side of the game. He needs to learn how to time his runs and when to hold it up to relieve pressure (and not give it away to allow dangerous counter-attacks!).

Perhaps most importantly he has to learn to accept and transcend the standard rough treatment dished out by L2 clogger centre backs and to use his 6'6 inch frame to dominate them.

Hopefully Rico is doing a lot of work on the training ground with him, but he will need a run of games to properly master the lone frontman role and we, and Brady, will need to be patient.

My worry is that Brady will drop Etete as a knee-jerk reaction and bring Rose back because he's more of a 'safe pair of hands' in terms of hold-up play. This would be a massive mistake IMO because we looked so much better in a 4-2-3-1 and probably created more chances than we have in any other game all season. Rose IMO doesn't have the physical attributes to play as a lone frontman and should be used off the bench as a second striker option if we need to change it and go 4-4-2.

As I've said earlier in the thread, I'd put BAS just above Kabamba in the pecking order and would rather see him as an option coming off the bench. Not much in it but I would say that Kabamba has had enough chances and has made 0 impact.

Looking ahead to January, I would be looking to ship at least one of the misfiring strikers out and to bring in an experienced centre forward who can lead the line and offer genuine competition for places.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 14:14:09 pm by bungle » Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #185 on: October 10, 2021, 14:18:31 pm »

Can’t disagree with any of that
Report Spam   Logged
cobbler151

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Level 5 Search
« Reply #186 on: October 10, 2021, 14:26:24 pm »

As you say, the ability and physical attributes are definitely there but he needs to work on the tactical and psychological side of the game. He needs to learn how to time his runs and when to hold it up to relieve pressure (and not give it away to allow dangerous counter-attacks!).

Perhaps most importantly he has to learn to accept and transcend the standard rough treatment dished out by L2 clogger centre backs and to use his 6'6 inch frame to dominate them.

Hopefully Rico is doing a lot of work on the training ground with him, but he will need a run of games to properly master the lone frontman role and we, and Brady, will need to be patient.

My worry is that Brady will drop Etete as a knee-jerk reaction and bring Rose back because he's more of a 'safe pair of hands' in terms of hold-up play. This would be a massive mistake IMO because we looked so much better in a 4-2-3-1 and probably created more chances than we have in any other game all season. Rose IMO doesn't have the physical attributes to play as a lone frontman and should be used off the bench as a second striker option if we need to change it and go 4-4-2.

As I've said earlier in the thread, I'd put BAS just above Kabamba in the pecking order and would rather see him as an option coming off the bench. Not much in it but I would say that Kabamba has had enough chances and has made 0 impact.

Looking ahead to January, I would be looking to ship at least one of the misfiring strikers out and to bring in an experienced centre forward who can lead the line and offer genuine competition for places.

100%
agree with everything you say
as much as i never thought I would put Seal as a striker above anyone in our squad.
I think persisting with a 4-2-3-1 as plan is the way forward

It could easily be switched to 4-3-3 as a plan B with a variation of Rose/Hoskins and even Connolly playing up top with Etete if things aren't going our way.
Report Spam   Logged
the grumpy old man

View Profile
1000 Posts Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #187 on: October 10, 2021, 15:45:22 pm »

I think he's likely to bring Rose back for the next match as we are playing Mansfield, his old club, and that often works. I would play Etete though.
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #188 on: October 10, 2021, 15:50:55 pm »

Hartlepool were awful and they beat us.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
fetishbob

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 10, 2021, 16:43:09 pm »

Hartlepool were awful and they beat us.

bit bias there aren't you. As I previously posted you deserved something from the game but to describe Pools as awful then says lot about your team as you've lost to us.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 16:46:30 pm by fetishbob » Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #190 on: October 10, 2021, 17:33:05 pm »

I wouldn't say there were awful, just average.....Challinor himself describes his sides performance for 55 minutes as "average"...... he said he had a decision to make after they equalised...continue as they were or go for it. He chose the latter and from then on they were the better side. We however decided to sit back and try and soak up pressure, and didn't make any changes until 12 minutes from time.

We've come down from League 1 and been beaten back to back by the two teams who came up from the National League last season.....that speaks volumes for where our squad and management team is at present.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #191 on: October 10, 2021, 17:49:07 pm »

I wouldn't say there were awful, just average.....Challinor himself describes his sides performance for 55 minutes as "average"...... he said he had a decision to make after they equalised...continue as they were or go for it. He chose the latter and from then on they were the better side. We however decided to sit back and try and soak up pressure, and didn't make any changes until 12 minutes from time.

We've come down from League 1 and been beaten back to back by the two teams who came up from the National League last season.....that speaks volumes for where our squad and management team is at present.

Have to agree, I thought that we looked good until we scored and conceded in quick succession. Their keeper had kept them in it.
It was almost as if we lost confidence in the plan when we conceded.
All of a sudden we reverted to the long ball instead of what had been working previously.
Shame, it was a game that we should have won.
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #192 on: October 10, 2021, 18:12:25 pm »

bit bias there aren't you. As I previously posted you deserved something from the game but to describe Pools as awful then says lot about your team as you've lost to us.

That was the point I was making.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: