The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 17:21:24 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Stevenage at home Tuesday 19/10/21

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stevenage at home Tuesday 19/10/21  (Read 6361 times)
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Windows User Level 6
« on: October 17, 2021, 13:43:44 pm »

Stevenage are the visitors to Sixfields for this Tuesday night encounter.

The Boro find themselves down in 20th place with 3 wins, 4 draws and 5 defeats, the laterst of which came on Saturday as Keith Curles Oldham brushed them aside by 3 goals to nil. They do have one of those league victories on the road, a 2-0 success at Bristol Rovers early in the season, but that was followed by a nine game winless streak in all competitions. That run was snapped by back to back victories over Hartlepool in the league then at Oxford in the Papa Johns Trophy before the setback on Saturday.

Boro are managed by our former player Alex Revell. Revell took over after Graham Westley had completed his fourth stint in charge of the Hertfordshire side back in February 2020. 19 wins from 71 games in charge is a record i'm sure Alex would like to improve.

Stevenage Borough as they were then, were formed in 1976 following the bankruptcy of Stevenage Athletic. They started out playing in the United Counties League Division One, slowly making their way up the pyramid to the Conference in 1994. They could have been promoted to the League in 1996 but were denied promotion at the expense of Torquay United as their facilities were not up to League standard. Steve Morison was banging the goals in for them in 2006, they ended the season by becoming the first side to win a competitive final at the new Wembley when they beat Kidderminster in the Trophy Final. They won the Trophy again in 2009 and finally gained promotion to the Football League in 2010. For their first season in the League the decision was taken to drop the "Borough" from their name.

They won promotion at the first attempt, beating Torquay in the playoff final to secure League 1 status, they remained there for three seasons before relegation back to League Two in 2014, and they have remained there since, they made the playoffs the next season but since then a 10th placed finish in both 2017 and 2019 has been the height of their achievements. They only won 3 games in the 36 game curtailed COVID season finishing bottom of the League however the financial troubles of Macclesfield Town saw them deducted enough points to relegate them rather than Stevenage.

Other than Revell, they have a trio of former Cobblers in their setup.  Luke Prosser appeared for us in 2016 on loan from Southend, Luke Norris was another Cobblers loanee, this time from Brentford back in 2014, and they also have Chris Lines  who left us in the January 2021 window but has not played for Boro since September due to injury.

Head to head, well not many games due to the fact that Stevenage have not been around long....but its fair to say that The Cobblers have had their number of the years with nine wins and three draws coupled with just the one defeat to the Boro. That Stevenage win came in 2015 thanks to a last minute goal. The last three games between the two sides have produced just two goals, Stevenage has lost five and drawn two of their seven visits to Sixfields. The last league encounter on New Years Day 2020 saw us scrape home with an Andy Williams last minute winner in front of 4613 fans.

Tuesday nights referee will be Sam Barrott, 41 yellow cards in just 11 games this season including nine in the Shrewsbury v Crewe encounter in September. He was the ref in our 1-1 draw up at Sunderland in the last game of last season, he also handled our 4-3 defeat at MK Dons last season too. Stevenage saw him for their 0-1 home defeat to Mansfield last season...this will be his first visit to Sixfields.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 13:53:48 pm by GrangeParkCobbler » Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
5000 Posts Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2021, 16:37:12 pm »

Cheers GPC..

Lambs to the slaughter…
Report Spam   Logged
WadeyCobbler

View Profile
Mobile User Windows User Combination
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2021, 21:21:54 pm »

Big opportunity to get ourselves right back in the promotion mix before a very tough away trip on Satdee. Will JB keep the same side again or tweak things? Desperate to see Etete bag a goal. This could be the night it all goes right, 4-1 win, Etete hat-trick.
Report Spam   Logged
Clarity

View Profile
1000 Posts Fifth year Anniversary Search
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2021, 09:26:01 am »

Three posts only on match day! Is this a general apathy towards the team or this forum?
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2021, 09:57:48 am »

Three posts only on match day! Is this a general apathy towards the team or this forum?

Calm before the storm😎

Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
The Rauldinho

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2021, 10:26:25 am »

After missing Saturday, I'm wondering if I should stay away so we can get the win.  Grin

Big game tonight, really need those three points to keep up with the top boys and Stevenage are a poor side.

As mentioned, seems ideal for Etete to bag a couple and go on a good goalscoring run!
Report Spam   Logged
Shoemender

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Second year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2021, 10:28:40 am »

There's general apathy towards the only football league team in the county from the majority of people in the town and county unfortunately.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2021, 11:17:26 am »

I think this could be a turgid experience tonight .
They will look not to concede , the weather is poor and they don’t bring many .
I hope we attack them and don’t sit back .
I would like to see the full backs bomb on and us to play with a number 10 that creates opportunity . Maybe Pollock or Hoskins .
I think it will be Rose that drops off though
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2021, 11:35:31 am »

Oldham beat these 3 to nothing, they must be a poor side.
0-1 Stevenage.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
WadeyCobbler

View Profile
Mobile User Windows User Combination
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2021, 11:43:15 am »

There's general apathy towards the only football league team in the county from the majority of people in the town and county unfortunately.

Our crowds our holding up well though. Averaging over 5,300 which is decent at the this level and up on some previous (normal) seasons.
Report Spam   Logged
Shoemender

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Second year Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2021, 11:51:57 am »

Our crowds our holding up well though. Averaging over 5,300 which is decent at the this level and up on some previous (normal) seasons.

Agree, not bad for this level, but not as good as some and less than 1% of the county population. Bradford had over 16000 on Saturday amittedly  bigger than Northampton but similarly sized Swindon had over 9000.
Report Spam   Logged
Pablo69

View Profile
Level 5 Signature Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2021, 12:11:43 pm »

2-0 for ourselves tonight.
Report Spam   Logged

"The voice of reason"
guest3359

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2021, 12:44:48 pm »

2-1. Etete with a 96th minute winner
Report Spam   Logged
Clint

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2021, 14:29:01 pm »

I predict a big one, 4-0.
Report Spam   Logged
guest49

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2021, 14:54:54 pm »

I called it on Saturday, so no chance of two out of two, so I'll go for 1 v 2 to ensure we get the win.
Report Spam   Logged
the grumpy old man

View Profile
1000 Posts Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2021, 15:09:53 pm »

I've decided that despite being a season ticket holder I am going to watch on ifollow tonight. I'm not very vocal so my absence in the crowd will make no difference and the club will benefit from me paying twice so to speak.

It's a bit wet and windy for me tonight, but if I'm honest I will admit to being too old and creaky to want to attend night matches. I will be there for the next Saturday match though.

Have a good night those who are going.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3063

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2021, 15:17:49 pm »

I've decided that despite being a season ticket holder I am going to watch on ifollow tonight. I'm not very vocal so my absence in the crowd will make no difference and the club will benefit from me paying twice so to speak.

It's a bit wet and windy for me tonight, but if I'm honest I will admit to being too old and creaky to want to attend night matches. I will be there for the next Saturday match though.

Have a good night those who are going.

I didn't think it was available on ifollow?

Tim will be available on Radio Northampton though if ifollow isn't.
Report Spam   Logged
the grumpy old man

View Profile
1000 Posts Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2021, 15:36:37 pm »

I didn't think it was available on ifollow?

Tim will be available on Radio Northampton though if ifollow isn't.

It had better be as it's advertised on the official site and I've just paid a tenner !!
Report Spam   Logged
West Stand

View Profile
500 Posts Search Combination
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2021, 15:49:48 pm »

Mid week games are and Saturday games when it is an International weekend.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3063

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2021, 15:58:52 pm »

It had better be as it's advertised on the official site and I've just paid a tenner !!

As West Stand has said. Apparently, mid-week games are - every day's a school day. Sorry if I caused undue worry  Embarrassed   
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: