The Hotel End
April 19, 2024, 12:18:51 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Real Names & Accountability

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Real Names & Accountability  (Read 2116 times)
Peter Frost

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
1000 Posts Second year Anniversary Avatar
« on: October 25, 2021, 15:43:03 pm »

Seeing some of the cowardly s***e that's posted on the internet and definitely not just here I think we are rapidly coming to the point where anonymous contributors hiding behind nicknames and sometimes even changing ISP information shouldn't be allowed - I know it actually won't happen but I can't make the point and not follow up the action. Doesn't really matter who I was in the past and probably not that difficult to guess but going forward I 100% own the comments I make.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2021, 15:54:44 pm »

Seeing some of the cowardly s***e that's posted on the internet and definitely not just here I think we are rapidly coming to the point where anonymous contributors hiding behind nicknames and sometimes even changing ISP information shouldn't be allowed - I know it actually won't happen but I can't make the point and not follow up the action. Doesn't really matter who I was in the past and probably not that difficult to guess but going forward I 100% own the comments I make.
But isn't your real name Jack?
Report Spam   Logged
Peter Frost

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2021, 16:05:52 pm »

But isn't your real name Jack?

....fallen at the first post  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Tabasco Kid

View Profile
5000 Posts Spammer 25 Posts in one day Seventh year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2021, 16:16:46 pm »

Good afternoon Inspector. Quite an entrance and managing to insult us after just two posts takes some doing. And then admitting that you had a previous user name.. Im not taking you seriously.
Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2021, 16:37:10 pm »

Anonymity is essential in some instances, what about reporting crime, rape etc and you don’t want to be identified because it could put you in danger.
Freedom of speech is being irreversibly eroded by the woke generation and must be stopped.
There is no place for hatred on social media (apart from Boro).
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Peter Frost

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2021, 18:00:45 pm »

Anonymity is essential in some instances, what about reporting crime, **** etc and you don’t want to be identified because it could put you in danger.
Freedom of speech is being irreversibly eroded by the woke generation and must be stopped.
There is no place for hatred on social media (apart from Boro).

Completely agree with the first point - common sense.

Agree on the second as well but with that freedom of speech there should surely be accountability.
Report Spam   Logged
Peter Frost

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2021, 18:07:35 pm »

Good afternoon Inspector. Quite an entrance and managing to insult us after just two posts takes some doing. And then admitting that you had a previous user name.. Im not taking you seriously.

Not sure why you have been insulted - I’m talking about some cowardly anonymous postings on social media generally (not exclusive to this message board) and as a result of some exchanges on here going forward I simply wanted to post under my real name - as for not taking me seriously I think that’s a pretty good advice on all posts.
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2021, 18:21:38 pm »

Im not convinced it is, this is the golden generation of misinformation, crackpot conspiracy theories and people spouting their dumbass opinions. People can say what they want and while I’m not a big fan of cancel culture I guess it’s the rights of others to react to those opinions in whatever way they want.
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2021, 18:26:16 pm »

Im not convinced it is, this is the golden generation of misinformation, crackpot conspiracy theories and people spouting their dumbass opinions. People can say what they want and while I’m not a big fan of cancel culture I guess it’s the rights of others to react to those opinions in whatever way they want.

I really genuinely feel sorry for people who have grown up with social media, it’s a fûcking curse, I promise you life was better without it.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Manwork04

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2021, 18:28:27 pm »

Completely agree with the first point - common sense.

Agree on the second as well but with that freedom of speech there should surely be accountability.
Again if it’s harming someone else I agree, race hate is a classic so is grooming, what are the social media companies doing about it?
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2021, 18:33:57 pm »

I really genuinely feel sorry for people who have grown up with social media, it’s a fûcking curse, I promise you life was better without it.

Actually agree with you, never had any social media and not because I’m super old like most of you on here! but because it is completely insidious.
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2021, 18:55:25 pm »

Super old  Cool
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Peter Frost

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2021, 19:06:58 pm »

With you on this - I know it’s old git’s territory but kids growing up with it have a big challenge in navigating the “must have it” aspect and the darker side of bullying, misinformation and age inappropriate content.
Report Spam   Logged
Gen.Disorda

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2021, 19:13:37 pm »

Just no

-Big tech cannot be trusted with that level of verified data, there are too many breaches.
-Corporations can do with it for what they like, As you Just blame it on a data breach.
-It is the missing piece for businesses to put verified,names, faces and tracking data against people.
-Its a totalitarian wet dream for tracking down and silencing dissenters.
-It would soon become a chargeable service to be informed of something problematic an employee has said online to assist with managing them out without severance pay.

It's amazing that the people who seem to be championing this absurd idea are the organisations that would look to gain the most.
Report Spam   Logged

Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2021, 19:24:11 pm »

Interesting dilemma. My view is that anonymity should remain. Once individuals start posting under their real names then the whole dynamic of the forum would change. The raw blunt honesty and being able to establish what people really think would be reduced or disappear in some instances. The administrators also have the ability to take action against those that cross the line and indeed have done on numerous occasions. I also think that a number of people including long standing members would stop using the site if this proposal was applied? Finally when all said and done people always have the option to not participate if they disagree with how the forum operates. That being said if the administrators decided to put it to the vote then I don’t think there would be too many grounds for complaint.

Sorry I should just add that this argument applies pretty much everywhere. There are also legal vehicles to remove the protection of anonymity if necessary.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 19:30:14 pm by Melbourne Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
Gen.Disorda

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2021, 19:35:24 pm »

I know someone who was in a HR meeting because they posted a Thug life meme in a work chat group. The lady in her 50s was reported by a white girl in her 20s and investigated for racism.

The meme was posted in reaction to a director saying their presentation was very good.

People take the piss out of Manny but I am sorry this culture does exist, it's attention seeking, ruthless and quite often without boundaries or logic.

Try working for a large corporation or institution. It has infected most and is rife
Report Spam   Logged

Peter Frost

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2021, 19:49:46 pm »

Interesting dilemma. My view is that anonymity should remain. Once individuals start posting under their real names then the whole dynamic of the forum would change. The raw blunt honesty and being able to establish what people really think would be reduced or disappear in some instances. The administrators also have the ability to take action against those that cross the line and indeed have done on numerous occasions. I also think that a number of people including long standing members would stop using the site if this proposal was applied? Finally when all said and done people always have the option to not participate if they disagree with how the forum operates. That being said if the administrators decided to put it to the vote then I don’t think there would be too many grounds for complaint.

Sorry I should just add that this argument applies pretty much everywhere. There are also legal vehicles to remove the protection of anonymity if necessary.

Melly - just to clarify I don’t particularly think this board should go this way via a mandate or vote - it’s just my personal choice for me - giving a little background a verbal comment was made (not actually a post) to me stating “people like you posting under pseudonyms……” so I thought f*** it as I stand by what I say and will use my real name.
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2021, 19:53:26 pm »

Melly - just to clarify I don’t particularly think this board should go this way via a mandate or vote - it’s just my personal choice for me - giving a little background a verbal comment was made (not actually a post) to me stating “people like you posting under pseudonyms……” so I thought **** it as I stand by what I say and will use my real name.
Fair enough.
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
WasRambo

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2021, 11:48:39 am »

Any information that is required to be divulged, whether it be for social media or for getting a mortgage should be commensurate with need. It then becomes a personal choice of whether or not you wish to divulge.

Thats why we have a raft of legislation around data protection, retention and sharing. Whether the legislation is able to keep up with those who go out of their way to abuse the data thats out there, whether corporate or criminal is another matter entirely.

Before I share anything with anyway I question what it is they're doing for me and whether I trust them. If I have any doubts, I don't share.

Treat data like you would your kids.
Report Spam   Logged
olivernt

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2021, 12:01:34 pm »

First couple of comments so funny.

I agree with both freedom of speech but then (some) people think it’s ok to insult people on the web/internet which I agree is totally out of order.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: