The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 22:04:32 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Are Division 2 referees getting worse?

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are Division 2 referees getting worse?  (Read 3535 times)
west stand oap

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
2500 Posts Apple User Fourth year Anniversary
« on: November 18, 2021, 13:24:57 pm »

We have always seemed to have inconsistences in refereeing decisions and groaned when certain refs are appointed to our games ie: Charles Breakspeare and Trevor Kettle but some are now making basic errors.
In the recent Leyton Orient v Hartlepool game the ref blew for half time without adding any additional time. After the break the players lined up the same way as in the first half and they played the 4 minutes added time and then changed round to play the second half.
Sam Allinson who was poor in our game at Bristol had the Exeter v Bradford replay on Tuesday and he allowed Exeter to make 6 subs instead of the allotted 5. Now the replay has to be replayed. He only had to count the digits on 1 hand and he does not come from Peterborough so could not have counted 6.
I watched the Port Vale v Bradford game last Saturday and a Bradford player already on a yellow committed another bad tackle which deserved another yellow or possibly a red but amazingly he stayed on the pitch. Later in the game there was another incident which some refs who have issued a red but it went unpunished.
I have not left a game this season thinking the refs had a good game, they have either been ok or worse than ok. They have a tough job with players getting in their faces and certain managers contesting every decision which goes against his team but at least they should be consistent.
In our home game against Swindon Rose turned in McGowan's cross and referee Brett Huxtable (unpopular the throughout the division) gave our goal as did the lino only to be over-ruled by the 4th official.The presenter on the efl Quest show said he had never heard of this happening before. Since this game Huxtable has not officiated another efl game and only had 1 National League game. However, he returns to efl duty next Tuesday and the game he has been given is

Cobblers v Oldham

You would have thought that those responsible for the appointments would have sent him anywhere other than straight back here.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Carton Lid

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2021, 14:00:09 pm »

Well he owes us  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
CobblerForever

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2021, 14:06:08 pm »

Breakspeare was excellent in the game against Walsall. e.g. I absolutely loved the way he dealt with the Benny/Walsall BLM fracas. He also took on board Evers' justified complaints about taking a throw in from the right place (post the lady referee game)

I suspect Refs are getting better but we relentlessly add to their burden (rule changes, deliberate provocation, cheating etc) and the media love a "crap referee story" as does the losing side.

They will always make a mistake or two (human nature).

Let's back them. Referees Lives Matter.
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2021, 16:06:36 pm »

Breakspeare was excellent in the game against Walsall. e.g. I absolutely loved the way he dealt with the Benny/Walsall BLM fracas. He also took on board Evers' justified complaints about taking a throw in from the right place (post the lady referee game)

I suspect Refs are getting better but we relentlessly add to their burden (rule changes, deliberate provocation, cheating etc) and the media love a "crap referee story" as does the losing side.

They will always make a mistake or two (human nature).

Let's back them. Referees Lives Matter.
... especially when they are wearing black eh!  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Peter Frost

View Profile
1000 Posts Second year Anniversary Avatar
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2021, 16:17:49 pm »

Breakspeare was excellent in the game against Walsall.

......watched him ref the Wigan/Solihull game and again thought he did a good job - I suspect with his previous well above card record he has both learnt and been advised on this aspect
Report Spam   Logged
guest3063

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2021, 17:17:03 pm »

I didn't think there was such a thing as a "league 2 referee". They are EFL referees and officiate throughout the three leagues, although granted the 'better' ones do officiate more championship games and the not so good ones get the league 1 & 2 games. I'm sure Deepcut will confirm if this is correct.     
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2021, 17:30:37 pm »

I didn't think there was such a thing as a "league 2 referee". They are EFL referees and officiate throughout the three leagues, although granted the 'better' ones do officiate more championship games and the not so good ones get the league 1 & 2 games. I'm sure Deepcut will confirm if this is correct.    

Premier League - Select Group
Championship - Select Group 2
Leagues One and Two - Level 1
National League - Level 2a
But these can be appointed one step up, especially if they are potential promotion candidates.
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2021, 17:43:20 pm »

I don’t think they are worse TBH, still good and bad ones with gar more shîthouse tactics borrowed from our European neighbours.
Thank god for Brexit.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
tcobb

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2021, 22:16:02 pm »

I agree, I don't think they are any worse. What does seem to be happening is some supporters complete lack of understanding for the rules of the modern game, then complaining the Ref has got it wrong !!
Report Spam   Logged

This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.
Carton Lid

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2021, 22:57:25 pm »

I agree, I don't think they are any worse. What does seem to be happening is some supporters complete lack of understanding for the rules of the modern game, then complaining the Ref has got it wrong !!
    I don't think it helps when some of the refs don't seem to know the rules. For example, if you went to Cambridge you would have seen the Cambridge keeper wearing all yellow and their outfield players also wearing yellow shirts when the rules on kit state  "Each goalkeeper must wear colours that are distinguishable from the other players and the match officials"   Huh? 
    Also I would guess that roughly 30% of throw ins are really foul throws, but how many get given ? So do the officials know the rules of taking a throw in or do they just chose to ignore that particular rule ?
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2021, 08:57:48 am »

I don't think it helps when some of the refs don't seem to know the rules. For example, if you went to Cambridge you would have seen the Cambridge keeper wearing all yellow and their outfield players also wearing yellow shirts when the rules on kit state  "Each goalkeeper must wear colours that are distinguishable from the other players and the match officials"   Huh? 
    Also I would guess that roughly 30% of throw ins are really foul throws, but how many get given ? So do the officials know the rules of taking a throw in or do they just chose to ignore that particular rule ?

Very pithy Lid; I only moan/criticise refs when we lose!
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2021, 09:48:27 am »

I don't think it helps when some of the refs don't seem to know the rules. For example, if you went to Cambridge you would have seen the Cambridge keeper wearing all yellow and their outfield players also wearing yellow shirts when the rules on kit state  "Each goalkeeper must wear colours that are distinguishable from the other players and the match officials"   Huh? 

"Laws" not rules.  Wink
I agree, especially the foul throw ins.... Cool
Report Spam   Logged

Carton Lid

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2021, 10:36:23 am »

"Laws" not rules.  Wink
I agree, especially the foul throw ins.... Cool

It's nice when Deepcut and I agree on the subject of referees   Grin
Report Spam   Logged
west stand oap

View Profile
2500 Posts Apple User Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2021, 11:56:58 am »

I would agree that regularly at home games you hear supporters shouting at the referee when there is no chance of us getting a decision our way. I would like to see certain offences clamped down on. Yellow cards are given for kicking the ball away and I would like to see them given to players who rush up to stand in front of the ball to stop a free kick being taken.
There is constant grappling in the penalty area from dead ball situations often with the defender having both arms around the attacker. Start awarding penalties for this and after the initial rush of spot kicks players will realise the consequence of their actions and stop doing it.
I totally agree there is a lack of consistency with throw ins as some referees try to pull the player back to where the throw should be taken but others appear happy for players to gain 10 yards every time.
Report Spam   Logged
singcobb

View Profile
Level 6 Avatar Linux User
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2021, 13:07:15 pm »

I would agree that regularly at home games you hear supporters shouting at the referee when there is no chance of us getting a decision our way. I would like to see certain offences clamped down on. Yellow cards are given for kicking the ball away and I would like to see them given to players who rush up to stand in front of the ball to stop a free kick being taken.
There is constant grappling in the penalty area from dead ball situations often with the defender having both arms around the attacker. Start awarding penalties for this and after the initial rush of spot kicks players will realise the consequence of their actions and stop doing it.
I totally agree there is a lack of consistency with throw ins as some referees try to pull the player back to where the throw should be taken but others appear happy for players to gain 10 yards every time.

I would like to see referees deal with players who get in their face and start gobbing off. Rugby has it right, first time gets you a yellow second one you're off.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2021, 13:26:47 pm »

It's nice when Deepcut and I agree on the subject of referees   Grin

It's getting a bit regular... Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2021, 13:33:36 pm »

It's nice when Deepcut and I agree on the subject of referees   Grin

It's getting a bit regular... Grin
I would like to see referees deal with players who get in their face and start gobbing off. Rugby has it right, first time gets you a yellow second one you're off.

That has been reduced considerably in the lower leagues/grassroots with the use of the Sin Bin for dissent.  Although it hasn't eradicated it completely, we have seen a significant change.  It's about time this was introduced into the higher leagues.
Report Spam   Logged

EB Claret

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2021, 19:32:11 pm »

Let players take throw ins where they wish, then if they're in the wrong place immediately turn the throw over to the other team.                Years ago linesmen used to assist by flagging as soon as the ball crossed the line, so indicating to Referees where the throw should be. Now they are Assistant Referees they jog sideways for about 10 yards then stand to attention and slowly raise their flag, this gives the Ref no clue as to where the ball went into touch.
At the moment a foul throw is given once in a blue moon as a token gesture, often for a Ref to try to show authority and then similar incidents are ignored for the rest of the game.

I don't know what guidance Referees are given on quick free kicks. These are rarely allowed at any level and especially in the lower leagues  but surely players would spend less time arguing if the ball was already back in play.
Report Spam   Logged
Clint

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2021, 20:54:05 pm »

Schlimmbesserung …
Report Spam   Logged
singcobb

View Profile
Level 6 Avatar Linux User