The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 11:04:20 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Oldham at home 23.11.21

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oldham at home 23.11.21  (Read 5695 times)
Coolcat

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2021, 22:51:03 pm »

Never thought I'd come out tonight raging!
First half, Cobblers not only comfortable and confident, but sublime!
Second half, never seen a team fall asleep so much, gifting them a goal!
Oldham clearly built their confidence up with our utter ineptness in the second half.

Should have been a 3-0 win...in the end, clinging on for a narrow win!
s***e like the second half, Orient will be returning with an easy three points back to E10.
Thought Curle's teams' batten down the hatches second half!  Shocked
Report Spam   Logged
EB Claret

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2021, 23:35:04 pm »

HOOF CHASE HOOF CHASE REPEAT.

Not Keith Curle, but must have been JB's half time team talk coz that's what we did 2nd half.
In the 1st half after a bitty start we looked a very good side, Sowerby and McWilliams ran the show from midfield.
After the break we didn't have a midfield, Oldham changed shape ( it seems Curly does have a Plan B now) they scored early in the half and we panicked and resorted to lumping the ball as high and long as possible.

The problem then is JB has nobody on the bench to improve or strengthen the side, we have a good eleven but very little else. This is where our inconsistency comes from, if one or two have off days (or halves) our level drops. Tonight we really did go from the sublime to the ridiculous!
Report Spam   Logged
CobblerForever

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2021, 00:45:10 am »

Huge credit to the faithful for not getting on the backs of the players in the 2nd half because we were dreadful.

Without Etete we'd struggle. Rose and Kabamba still looked substandard when they came on.

We looked tired in that 2nd half.     
Report Spam   Logged
Jim Hall Fixit

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary 500 Posts Avatar
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2021, 00:52:23 am »

Crikey, what a night.
I can’t think the last time I left Sixfields with 3 points and a miserable face?

Oldham were s***e first half but we played some great stuff. We really need to take our chances though as 5-0 score line wouldn’t have been unfair. Kion was pretty much unplayable!

Then that first 8 mins of 2nd half was as bad as I’ve seen us play all season. I can only think it was complete arrogance and that we genuinely thought we could have a training session 2nd half and come away with 3 points! Surely JB warned them that Oldham would come out fighting in the second half? We didn’t challenge, we couldn’t pass and we were stuck in 1st gear. They should have equalised by 15 mins in.

For all his knockers we need to give KC some credit. He worked out that we could be exposed by pace down the wings and he switched it around to do just that- and their subs slaughtered us out wide. I don’t entirely blame Ali and MacGowan. Pinnock and Sammy need to offer more defensive support - they were not at the races defensively tonight and our 2 flank backs were overrun.

I fear this is an Achilles Heal that better teams (like Orient!) will exploit much more effectively than the rather average Oldham?!
Report Spam   Logged

"My three children were born in Northamptonshire so I like to think I'm an adopted Northamptonian and it's the same for Rico and Sammo. It means a lot to us because this is our county.
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2021, 07:38:20 am »

Last night kind of (in an exaggerated way) summed up where we are at the minute, squad wise.

I took a quick look this morning. Swindon (83rd minute) is the only game we've scored in the last 10 minutes AGAINST 11 men all season. Our other late goal (v Sc***horpe) was in the 90th minute and made it 2-0, that was against 10 men.

So, in 18 games, and factoring in injury time - we've failed to score against 11 men in a single game this season. I know you can make stats fit any agenda, argument, but for me these don't lie. Our subs/use of subs/back up players etc weaken us more so than not.

Defensively, not a huge issue. Remember we've got Mills and Nelson on long term injuries (plain bad look that), but Mills will be returning soon. Harriman is a good back up, as is Raven (albeit he's only on loan until January).

But further up the pitch, we are a bit screwed! Flores is yet to show any kind of decent form, Connolly other than the odd promising cameo the same. Our our back up 'strikers' cant seem to ever score or create anything. Although I did enjoy Rose 'buying' that free kick in the 3rd minute of time added on last night which effectively ended Oldhams hopes of snatching a last minute equaliser which on balance, was the least they deserved.

Its clear as day that we need 3, 4 or even 5 players to come in in January who are of the standard required if we are to sustain a promotion push. Whether that can be achieved within the budget and also without it disrupting what is clearly a very good dressing room and collective spirit, time will tell. Brady and co have a big job to try and take us to the next level during a mid season window which is notoriously difficult to get right!

Im a stickler for the small detail in matches, if I had been Brady last night Id have pulled Pinnock off the moment after he did that stupid back heel that went straight to their player and they could easily have scored on the counter attack. 86th minute it was. Showboating at that stage of the game was crazy, and he nearly cost us the game! He'd been one of our better players too be fair, but even so....have some bloody discipline! The game management was shocking throughout, and only woeful finishing from Oldham got us over the line.

Still. Ill end on some positives. 4th after 18 games means we are right in it. 5 wins, a draw and a defeat from the last 7 league matches is very decent form. Ete is really kicking on and worked his ass off last night and was the right choice for mom. The lad clearly has a tremendous attitude, one of the best we've seen on loan from a premier league club. He definitely has a chance 'to make it' at a much higher level if he keeps doing what he's doing. A joy to watch, and an excellent focal point in our attack.

Looking forward to Saturday. I tend agree with Bungle. Drop Lewis back and play one of Flores/Connolly or Pollock up there in place of where Lewis has been playing. The only alternative is a 4-4-2 and if he must go down that route, lets see Connolly and Pinnock in the wide positions and adopt the same approach as we did in the first game v Port Vale. That just might work and cause them a few problems. But of course the issue is, if it doesn't work then there will be zero plan B! So Id go with the first option, personally!

Report Spam   Logged
Bertie

View Profile
Level 5 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2021, 08:28:40 am »

As everyone has said, played like heroes in the first half and like drains in the second. Have to credit Curle , who took a huge risk at half time by sending on 3 subs (remember what happened when Aidy Boothroyd did that?) and it very nearly worked with Hope and Bahamboula, on the left, giving us a torrid time. Sowerby, Hoskins, Pinnock and Lewis all went awol and we were pretty lucky to get away with it. McWilliams was always likely to pick up a 5th booking - but it is a pity he managed it after the game had finished. He will be much missed on Saturday. Let's hope its the first half Cobblers who turn up against Orient!
Report Spam   Logged
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
5000 Posts Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2021, 08:33:34 am »

I think the man of the match nomination summed it up. The guy who won it, hardly touched the ball in the second half.

Report Spam   Logged
ajp

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2021, 09:02:30 am »

JB having a go at the crowd, it was deadly silence for the majority of it! Quietist it’s been for years imo
Report Spam   Logged
west stand oap

View Profile
2500 Posts Apple User Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2021, 09:26:06 am »

Classic game of 2 halves. First half comfortably the better team and could have been out of sight at half time as Oldham posed little threat. Another assist for Pinnock with an excellent pinpoint cross superbly converted by Etete.
At half time it looked like we could run out easy winners but then the maestro got to work introducing 3 subs and switching to plan B, ditching the 3 central defenders for a back 4. After conceding early in the second half Oldham looked more likely to get an equaliser than we did of getting a third goal as we were abysmal.
Yet another disappointing home crowd of under 4000 and after going several games without getting his 5th yellow card McWilliams then gets involved in the fracas at the end of the game when he only needed to get through the Orient game to avoid a suspension.
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2021, 10:03:40 am »

JB having a go at the crowd, it was deadly silence for the majority of it! Quietist it’s been for years imo
The West Stand (South end) did their very best for a period in the 2nd half to try and lift the utter dross on the pitch.

You need to aim your criticism at the North Stand. Again, completely silent throughout. If I was Delia Smith...
Report Spam   Logged
Clarity

View Profile
1000 Posts Fifth year Anniversary Search
« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2021, 19:59:23 pm »

Curle now sacked but it wasn’t in the morning
Report Spam   Logged
Jim Hall Fixit

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary 500 Posts Avatar
« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2021, 20:08:35 pm »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59403830

Ridiculous! I feel really sorry for the bloke.
They’re in total chaos behind the scenes. They’ve just beaten Port Vale. They were unlucky not to get at least a draw against us.
Their second half performance was as good as any opposition team I’ve seen at Sixfields this season- although I’m ignoring how awful we were in the first 15 mins of 2nd half!!
I wish you good luck Mr C. Hopefully your pay off will keep you going over Xmas and you find another Div 2 team in 2022 - but not us!!!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 20:11:33 pm by Jim Hall Fixit » Report Spam   Logged

"My three children were born in Northamptonshire so I like to think I'm an adopted Northamptonian and it's the same for Rico and Sammo. It means a lot to us because this is our county.
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2021, 21:01:58 pm »

Curles prehistoric tactics have finally caught up with him, sacked twice within a year!
Think he’ll struggle to get another league team anytime soon.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
WadeyCobbler

View Profile
Mobile User Windows User Combination
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2021, 21:17:20 pm »

The West Stand (South end) did their very best for a period in the 2nd half to try and lift the utter dross on the pitch.

You need to aim your criticism at the North Stand. Again, completely silent throughout. If I was Delia Smith...

Night games with lower crowds, fewer away fans are always quieter but I thought the South-West corner was noisier than a normal night game.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2021, 06:22:02 am »

The lack of confidence in the bench shows how many need clearing out in january if anyone will take them .
We need a centre half , Strong forward , holding midfielder and number 10.
But we have no budget and no recruitment officer .
Not good .
Report Spam   Logged
the grumpy old man

View Profile
1000 Posts Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2021, 12:48:31 pm »

It's odd that they haven't replaced the recruitment officer. It makes you wonder what's going on.
Report Spam   Logged
west stand oap

View Profile
2500 Posts Apple User Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2021, 12:53:07 pm »

They are taking their time to make sure we get the best man available.
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2021, 12:54:53 pm »

They are taking their time to make sure we get the best man available.
Either that or they don’t give a fcuk?
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
guest2995

« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2021, 13:09:58 pm »

Some quite direct questions need to be asked of the CEO / chairman .
The squad is as thin as it could be . We pay bargain basement wages .
Yet we are fourth and the backing remains quite poor .
What is the chairman’s intention and when will he come clean about the playing side of the club .
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2021, 13:15:33 pm »

Some quite direct questions need to be asked of the CEO / chairman .
The squad is as thin as it could be . We pay bargain basement wages .
Yet we are fourth and the backing remains quite poor .
What is the chairman’s intention and when will he come clean about the playing side of the club .
It’s really not Kelvins bag answering questions, he usually says yeah no before answering anything combined with spin, smoke, mirrors and a generous helping of BS.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: