The Hotel End
April 19, 2024, 16:51:40 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Harrogate away 11.12.21

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Harrogate away 11.12.21  (Read 9617 times)
Welly Cobb

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #120 on: December 12, 2021, 09:17:27 am »

Fantastic result considering. Wasn't vintage, but with being forced into our lesser effective formation with Etete and McWilliams out, really a good turnout.
We've scored 13 goals and conceded 3 playing 4-2-3-1, so having to move away from it and still succeeding is a great sign.

We have to be thinking long-term here in January. How do we take this and make ourselves a solid League One Club, what are the investments required and how do we keep the players that are going to be useful at that level tied down. It's great that we seem to have a never ending conveyor belt of great defenders, Pierre, Goode, Horsfall, Guthrie, Dyce, but selling them on over and over again and we will be unlucky some time in the future with the replacement.

Also really got to think hard about whether bringing in someone on loan for 6 months up front is really the right thing to do. Marquis, Morton, Etete are all fantastic assets, and maybe they're greater than what we could get on a permnanent basis, but would it be better to have someone who isn't quite as good as them but ultimately ours for the next league as well?
Report Spam   Logged
Peter Frost

View Profile
1000 Posts Second year Anniversary Avatar
« Reply #121 on: December 12, 2021, 11:01:43 am »

Kabamba had a better game with his hold up play and his speed troubled Harro’ somewhat slow and ponderous defenders. The trouble is his finishing ,which am afraid is poor. He missed 3 good chances, one of which he fell over when thru’ in 1st half. Talk about Seal for this Roll Eyes

Whilst goals are coming from elsewhere he does a job and agree he put in a good shift - unfortunately if we are expecting goals from him and they dry up elsewhere we have a problem
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #122 on: December 12, 2021, 11:16:20 am »

Good win and a decent day out.

Drove up with a detour to pick my lad up from Lincoln, stopped in Wetherby and saw plenty of Cobblers in the town and pubs, then up to Harrogate, parked up in a residential area around 10 minutes walk away.

Strange little ground it was....tin pot.... but with a bit of character! Cobblers fans filled one end behind the goal and also had almost a half of a side, looked more than 574! That said, who sets the capacities for the ground and why are they set so low? We were behind the goal and going on the above figures someone has decided that the capacity of that end is around 250. We had plenty of room, could have fitted as many in again and it still wouldn't have been full. Strange setup having the players tunnel in the away end terrace though!

The Harrogate fans tried to make some noise, and for only 1500 of them they did a decent job.

Another one ticked off the list...ground number 146 (85 of the current 92).....roll on Sutton!
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/07, 2007/08, 2011/12, 2012/13, 2018/19 and 2023/24
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #123 on: December 12, 2021, 12:00:51 pm »

I had a great feeling about this one.  Huh?
Big 3 points as most teams around us didnt win.
2 homes games coming up.
It be a very Merry Cobblers Crimbo.
Brady deffo in this week.

I had a great feeling about this one.  Huh?

Wink Wink Wink
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 12, 2021, 12:19:05 pm »

Not since the Wilder promotion, have we seen such momentum and unity in our team...
There is a belief that we can smash this league (FGR will wobble, as they did today at Oldham), just need to strengthen in January, but who would have guessed we'd be in this position now...  Wink

Two bold assumptions Sister Jean - all good though
Report Spam   Logged

Madrid Cobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #125 on: December 12, 2021, 12:54:02 pm »

Whilst goals are coming from elsewhere he does a job and agree he put in a good shift - unfortunately if we are expecting goals from him and they dry up elsewhere we have a problem

Agreed, but to be fair we were saying the same on here about Etete, who also missed a fair number of chances before finding his goal scoring touch.

Etete's definitely a better player than Kabamba, but based on yesterday's performance finishing is now the only thing Kabamba is lacking to become a decent stand-in. He proved he can at least do some of what Etete does in terms of hold-up play, harrying defenders and winning fouls in good areas. He's also contracted to the club, rather than a loan player, so I think it's worth giving him a bit of a chance to see if he can keep developing with more games.
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 12, 2021, 16:35:56 pm »

An unusual afternoon seeing the Cobblers play but viewed(for some controversial) Harrogate's Home Main Stand. As it was, Harrogate announced that only 574 Cobblers were there so what happened to the missing 26? As luck will have it I sat in what appeared to be the family stand with over enthusiastic 'kids' all over the place some of whom were as young as 4/6. However I sat (one seat from...) a very decent young father with three very young children of between an estimated 6 to 10years. Every time Jack Diamond played a notable action the excited shrill squeaks from the youngest daughter was almost impossible unbearable. Fortunately the second half was different as we kicked down the slope and began to assert some meaningful control of the game. Only spasmodically manic shrills surfaced in the last 10 mins and markedly the 5 minute time added on!
Back to the game we started well enough with Horsfall scoring an early goal. This did not settle us as Harrogate began to dominate, with some untidy possession from both sides. Guthrie Horsfall almost unbelievably nearly conceding possession in a dangerous area which we were fortunate to get away with. Jack Diamond was imposing himself energetically on the game and went on a parallel run square to our 10 yd box before eventually hitting a hard shot past Roberts - bedlam from the kids and shredding my nerves again, Was relieved that we reached half time 1-1 and this was thanks to our magnificent back 4.
Second half was a different story; down the slope and rain and wind against us! We began to play some decent football with Sowerby and Lewis prominent as was McGowan and Hoskins. Kabamba began to trouble their defense with his dynamic pressing and decent hold up play and against the Yorkshire side his speed over short distances was impressive.The trouble for hm was his abysmal finishing, highlighted by,missing two good chances one of which was a one on one. Not to mention the Seal fall over 1st half when he was very nearly though on goal. By this time our back four were pretty dominant as was Guthrie's splendid header from a set piece. At times we opened them up like a can but could not furnish a decent shot on goal. Drew some oohs and aahs of home approval but nothing from the manic kids.
Strode purposely from the ground without a smug look, glad we had won but with the realization that Horsfall and Guthrie won us the game. All the team played its part but we need a goal scorer as am very unsure if Kabamba will come good. Harrogate played their part and never gave up and their little ground helped them particularly in the 1st half. In the end we all but had to grind out the win which based on the second half display should have been a bit more comfortable. Strangely the formation appeared to be 4-4-2....has ha ha!
Two of us also in the Main stand - at the back. Showed respect by not jumping up or in any way getting mouthy, but McGowan looked a little puzzled when gazing over towards the Main stand and terrace at the end, to see us give claps and fist pumps!
Knaresborough brilliant, so glad a few of us stopped over for the weekend there instead of Harrogate.
Harrogate Tap and Little Ale House good, but standouts were Blind Jack's and Rail Taproom in Knaresborough.
As said, Kabamba clearly isn't a goal scorer - that walk towards their keeper was something else! Not sure how falling to the floor constitutes hold up play, though the lad does try!
Rose did well, especially after getting clattered. Pinnock such a presence in the middle of the park and Liam Roberts the finest keeper we've had in yonks...which admittedly, isn't saying too much!
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 12, 2021, 20:13:37 pm »

Two of us also in the Main stand - at the back. Showed respect by not jumping up or in any way getting mouthy, but McGowan looked a little puzzled when gazing over towards the Main stand and terrace at the end, to see us give claps and fist pumps!
Knaresborough brilliant, so glad a few of us stopped over for the weekend there instead of Harrogate.
Harrogate Tap and Little Ale House good, but standouts were Blind Jack's and Rail Taproom in Knaresborough.
As said, Kabamba clearly isn't a goal scorer - that walk towards their keeper was something else! Not sure how falling to the floor constitutes hold up play, though the lad does try!
Rose did well, especially after getting clattered. Pinnock such a presence in the middle of the park and Liam Roberts the finest keeper we've had in yonks...which admittedly, isn't saying too much!

I sat in E71 amongst the kids who gave me ear ache Cool.  When Guthrie scored with a majestic header I momentarily clapped; realizing I was giving the game away quickly put my hands to my head in shock horror. Around me it was shock and horror anyway. Thankfully it shut the kids up with their incessant shrieks. Don't know about you but would sign Jack Diamond in a flash; not so sure about Armstrong who was kept at arms length a bit too easily.
Report Spam   Logged

Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #128 on: December 12, 2021, 20:56:14 pm »

Well said Cat, Liam Roberts was immense. In my view the most important signing we have made. I have absolutely no idea what the Walsall supporters were on about with their comments. Don’t like to be too hard on the lad but I reckon we would currently be mid table with Mitchell in goal.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 05:43:43 am by Melbourne Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
Coolcat

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 13, 2021, 13:03:30 pm »

I sat in E71 amongst the kids who gave me ear ache Cool.  When Guthrie scored with a majestic header I momentarily clapped; realizing I was giving the game away quickly put my hands to my head in shock horror. Around me it was shock and horror anyway. Thankfully it shut the kids up with their incessant shrieks. Don't know about you but would sign Jack Diamond in a flash; not so sure about Armstrong who was kept at arms length a bit too easily.
L77/L78 - back row.
I hate Jack Diamond and Harrogate's self aggrandising documentary a year or so ago.

Was glad to get tickets in the Main Stand with opposition fans ( and no, having a Yorkshire postcode made Jack all difference - bar code email in seconds...I'm NN1!) adding to the experience...though I would have got Fields of Green sung a lot quicker!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 13:06:17 pm by Coolcat » Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #130 on: December 13, 2021, 17:36:15 pm »

Really good performance, on and off the pitch. We were stood in the side terrace, and the atmosphere was excellent throughout.

I thought Kabamba was immense in the 2nd half, his early miss just after half time aside. Very pleasing to see us get the ball out wide a lot as the game developed, we seemed to be a bit too narrow in the first half but that definitely changed in the 2nd half...

No late panic like there was at Exeter, we saw the game out fairly comfortably in the end which was really pleasing. I think we are most definitely benefitting from that 10 day break, and hopefully we will have enough left in the tank to see us through until January when you'd have thought we will be in the market for some much needed re-enforcements!

The spirit in the squad and in the dugout is immense. Its been a long time since that togetherness has been so strong, and a real bond between the players, management and fans is growing by the game.

We had a great meal out in Harrogate afterwards. Went to the Harrogate Tap before hand which was a very decent pub. Before the game we went to the Weatherspoons there, very impressive and I say that not being a fan of that chain at all (I normally try and avoid them!)

Excellent weekend up there, Ill be driving to Scunny and then boarding the beer train to Sutton. Hopefully no covid nonsense getting in the way. Things are setting up to be a cracking 2nd half of the season!
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: