The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 06:06:51 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

January transfer window

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 62   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: January transfer window  (Read 94738 times)
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2021, 08:48:09 am »

Pretty sure KT is more interested in the land grab deal than the team. i fear what we want and what we get will be two different matters.
Get rid Flores ashley seal, Kabamba, Pollock may as well go too as he never gets a look in. striker, midfield playmaker in. we will see though

Fantastic opinion - even Pollock now recipient for such critical remarks Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2021, 08:55:55 am »

Fantastic opinion - even Pollock now recipient for such critical remarks Roll Eyes

Yes, although he looked good warming up on Tuesday... Wink
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2021, 10:06:39 am »

The only reason for me is that Pollock is not picked suggests he is not ready for league action. From what I have seen of him would tend to agree with JB. If Pollock continues on the bench that slightly undermines JB’s approach. No point selecting a squad player if not good enough. Perhaps JB should consider giving Pollock a ‘sub’ opportunity a few times to determine/justify his selection.
Report Spam   Logged

guest3481

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2021, 10:42:49 am »

JB obviously sees (or doesnt see) something in Pollock that many of us dont. I would like to see him go out on loan to a National League team to get some real experience and either prove he's good enough or justify if he leaves in the summer.
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2021, 11:30:58 am »

JB obviously sees (or doesnt see) something in Pollock that many of us dont. I would like to see him go out on loan to a National League team to get some real experience and either prove he's good enough or justify if he leaves in the summer.
Can you still recall players on a 6 month loan?
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2021, 12:05:53 pm »

Unlike at any other time in memory, our starting X1 would be difficult to improve without a significant investment in a player.

Not including the unfortunate Sid Nelson, I would argue that we have 15 players 'up to it' in regards to being in a promoted side. Unfortunately, players 12-15 are mainly defenders. I would say that Harriman, Dyche, Mills (should be fit soon) and Rose are all good back ups/plan B's. However beyond that, we struggle...and our lack of decent options in the creative department means we struggle to replace forwards late in games with adequate replacements.

So in simplistic terms, we need upgrades for players 16 downwards. Who could at least start if required, or come off of the bench and not weaken the team.

In an idealistic world, Id like to see 4 such players brought in. Loans or permanents, not bothered. I think that if we are sitting in a similar place in the league come January, we are more likely to be able to attract decent loan players than if we were say midtable or fighting relegation. For obvious reasons! Last time round, we got James Collins for example.

A striker, a creative midfielder, and a winger (for when we need goals) and a McCormack type (for when we need to see a game out) would be my preferences!

A few fantasy numbers. 26 weeks x 8 grand a week (between the 4 players) would cost the owners £208-000 on top of the current budget for this season. That number would obviously come down if we can off load any....

So the question is. Would that 'investment' potentially generate an ROI and would it be worthy of the associated risk? That's what it will probably come down to!

It isn't for me to say what I think. I do though hope that DB and KT take the view that if the team is in a good place, momentum builds and therefore presents an opportunity to increase sales revenues, whether that's through the turnstyles, sponsorship or additional tv money etc if we made it to league1!
Report Spam   Logged
guest49

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2021, 12:56:40 pm »

It isn't for me to say what I think. I do though hope that DB and KT take the view that if the team is in a good place, momentum builds and therefore presents an opportunity to increase sales revenues, whether that's through the turnstyles, sponsorship or additional tv money etc if we made it to league1!

I'd imagine this time they won't as they haven't been prepared to back up the further investment to establish us in League One and above. There is no point really.
What are the direct financial benefits of League Two/League One. A lot of that will be probably wiped out with wage requirements.
The way things are with the non-development and ongoing land wrangling's you can't blame them. We haven't had anyone for years whose priority and ambition has been to take us up a notch. It is normally when we flirt with relegation that they start twitching. 
Report Spam   Logged
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2021, 17:52:03 pm »

Getting Roberts, Horsfall, Koiki & McWilliams tied down to new contracts would also be a priority ...

This. For me, it's all about long term strategy. All recruitment decisions should be made with one eye on becoming a sustainable L1 outfit in the long term.

Priority number 1 for me is securing Roberts, Horsfall and Koiki and McWilliams.
Horsfall and McWilliams were part of a defensive unit which held their own in League One towards the end of last season. Roberts is the best keeper we've had since Adam Smith and Koiki is a superb athlete with the potential to grow and develop with us. All four are potentially L1 standard players and would be very hard to replace.

Priority number 2 is improving our squad depth whilst also possibly signing one or two players for the
longer-term.Would be delighted if the Hylton rumours materialise: an experienced striker at this level and the level above with the intelligence to run the channels, hold the ball up and give us a different option to Etete. Signing someone like Hylton could help us over the line this year, and also give us some much-needed nous for a potential L1 campaign the following year when Etete goes.

As I've said before, I also think we need:

- Creative attacking midfielder with pace to give us a good option off the bench as a replacement for one of the attacking triumvirate behind the striker (young Prem/Champ loanee could work, but it would be great to bring someone in with a view to developing them for the longer term). We could bring in two players as Drilling suggests (winger and AM) or just bring in a player who can play both positions as a cheaper option.

- Cover for Sowerby and McWilliams in the DM 'pivot' position - as Drilling says, a McCormack/Sheehan type looking for a last hurrah would be ideal here

Like Drilling I would assume that Harriman, Dyche and Mills would give us enough cover in the defensive positions.

That's three key signings which I think could be made without breaking the bank. If Brady makes them then I would be pretty confident that we could sustain our form into the new year. 

Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2021, 18:52:33 pm »

As did Mills.
Report Spam   Logged

Grove

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2021, 19:21:06 pm »

Its not critical of Pollock bird brain , you know, i can count on one hand how many comments ive made in 12 months on here,didnt take you long to start ,is it any wonder hardly anyone posts on here with you destroying threads with your ill thought out comments left right and centre.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2021, 19:41:40 pm »

This. For me, it's all about long term strategy. All recruitment decisions should be made with one eye on becoming a sustainable L1 outfit in the long term.

Priority number 1 for me is securing Roberts, Horsfall and Koiki and McWilliams.
Horsfall and McWilliams were part of a defensive unit which held their own in League One towards the end of last season. Roberts is the best keeper we've had since Adam Smith and Koiki is a superb athlete with the potential to grow and develop with us. All four are potentially L1 standard players and would be very hard to replace.

Priority number 2 is improving our squad depth whilst also possibly signing one or two players for the
longer-term.Would be delighted if the Hylton rumours materialise: an experienced striker at this level and the level above with the intelligence to run the channels, hold the ball up and give us a different option to Etete. Signing someone like Hylton could help us over the line this year, and also give us some much-needed nous for a potential L1 campaign the following year when Etete goes.

As I've said before, I also think we need:

- Creative attacking midfielder with pace to give us a good option off the bench as a replacement for one of the attacking triumvirate behind the striker (young Prem/Champ loanee could work, but it would be great to bring someone in with a view to developing them for the longer term). We could bring in two players as Drilling suggests (winger and AM) or just bring in a player who can play both positions as a cheaper option.

- Cover for Sowerby and McWilliams in the DM 'pivot' position - as Drilling says, a McCormack/Sheehan type looking for a last hurrah would be ideal here

Like Drilling I would assume that Harriman, Dyche and Mills would give us enough cover in the defensive positions.

That's three key signings which I think could be made without breaking the bank. If Brady makes them then I would be pretty confident that we could sustain our form into the new year. 

Very safe comments Bungle and agree with Ragdolls suggestion that D.Hylton might be a sensible option. As Drilling says we do have reasonable backup at the moment with several Players namely: Pollock, Maxted, Bas(some don't!),Mills, Harriman, Dyche,Flores, Kabamba, Connelly Flores and probably one or two youngsters. That lad who played left back I think v Brighton looked the part. I would be very surprised if we signed 3 or even 4 players unless we can off load a few. We will simply have to make do with what we have, so retain the team spirit/togetherness which has grown with this group of players. Ready made replacement for Ete would be good but the one essential for me would be cover for McW/Sowerby.

Hylton is an interesting suggestion but can only see JB playing both when ever possible. This might jeopardize the favoured 4-3-2-1 formation Shocked.

I have a gut feeling BAS might still come good and Flores might still be fit for purpose.
Report Spam   Logged

Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2021, 19:56:43 pm »

I'd imagine this time they won't as they haven't been prepared to back up the further investment to establish us in League One and above. There is no point really.
What are the direct financial benefits of League Two/League One. A lot of that will be probably wiped out with wage requirements.
The way things are with the non-development and ongoing land wrangling's you can't blame them. We haven't had anyone for years whose priority and ambition has been to take us up a notch. It is normally when we flirt with relegation that they start twitching. 
I know I keep enthralling everyone with tales from this year’s Deloitte football finance report so I’ll say it again. The average loss in league 2 is £800k per club and the average loss in league 1 is £2 million. So the benefit of league 1 football is that the club loses an extra £1.2 million on average. Anyone on here is welcome to put any spin or misdirection on this they like obviously, but that is a fact.
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2021, 20:41:57 pm »

So the question is. Would that 'investment' potentially generate an ROI and would it be worthy of the associated risk? That's what it will probably come down to!

I don’t really see how it would generate any sort of return financially. Say for instance it does get us promoted, this guarantees us extra income but the probable extra cost of making the squad even remotely competitive would wipe that out and even go beyond that. I see it much more of trying to buy success than any sort of investment.
Report Spam   Logged
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2021, 20:51:22 pm »

I know I keep enthralling everyone with tales from this year’s Deloitte football finance report so I’ll say it again. The average loss in league 2 is £800k per club and the average loss in league 1 is £2 million. So the benefit of league 1 football is that the club loses an extra £1.2 million on average. Anyone on here is welcome to put any spin or misdirection on this they like obviously, but that is a fact.

Interesting. Are those figures from last year's fan-less Covid season? Isn't that skewed due to the likes of Sunderland and Ipswich spunking mega money trying to get out of the league?

It's true that the higher up the pyramid you go the higher the losses because bigger clubs have the collateral to take the hit and the competition is fierce. Premier League clubs made a combined loss of over 'half a billion pound' last year according to the Independent.

However, I would argue that a sustained spell in L1 would lead to better attendances (when away fans are taken into account), slightly more TV money and slightly more corporate interest. Surely it's more lucrative to be playing Sunderland and Sheffield Weds than Barrow and Sutton?. Providing we didn't go out and spunk silly money on players a la the height of the JFH era, then I would have thought that it would be manifestly in our long-term financial interests to establish ourselves at L1 level.

Report Spam   Logged
guest3086

« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2021, 21:08:10 pm »

We need to mega-spend. Buy top class chaps what can boost our ability to the nth degree. Let's face it, we don't have anyone who can truly be considered exciting. The cost? Who cares? We are 6 or 7 mill. down so another 6 or 7 mill. won't hurt. The worst that can happen? We go pop and start again without the 2 amigos. Win win.
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2021, 21:13:29 pm »

Interesting. Are those figures from last year's fan-less Covid season? Isn't that skewed due to the likes of Sunderland and Ipswich spunking mega money trying to get out of the league?

It's true that the higher up the pyramid you go the higher the losses because bigger clubs have the collateral to take the hit and the competition is fierce. Premier League clubs made a combined loss of over 'half a billion pound' last year according to the Independent.

However, I would argue that a sustained spell in L1 would lead to better attendances (when away fans are taken into account), slightly more TV money and slightly more corporate interest. Surely it's more lucrative to be playing Sunderland and Sheffield Weds than Barrow and Sutton?. Providing we didn't go out and spunk silly money on players a la the height of the JFH era, then I would have thought that it would be manifestly in our long-term financial interests to establish ourselves at L1 level.

To be fair Bungle it’s all a bit difficult to work out as it’s generalised figures so you don’t get an exact picture. As a general rule it’s something like 5 or 6 clubs breaking even in the bottom 2 divisions. I think the likes of a big spending Sunderland etc would affect the figures in league 1. However, it’s almost guaranteed that our loses would increase significantly if we made a serious attempt to sustain our position should we get promoted. The last 2 seasons in Division 1 didn’t increase our attendance figures by that much and I can’t remember us selling out our away ticket allocation (although I assume we did on occasion). The thing is that even if you do find a few cut price gems, they are quickly attracted away. So you have to keep doing it unless you increase your budget. If you don’t spend beyond your means, you don’t compete. That seems to be the underlying indication from the report.
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
guest49

« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2021, 21:36:34 pm »

With that in mind are we better getting relegated so we can ‘lose’ a bit less? I don’t think we can apply for a bye to the Championship  Grin
If you’re not in football to win there’s not much point.
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2021, 22:08:38 pm »

With that in mind are we better getting relegated so we can ‘lose’ a bit less? I don’t think we can apply for a bye to the Championship  Grin
If you’re not in football to win there’s not much point.
All true. I suppose I’m just continuing to bang the drum that the whole of football needs a reset. What sort of industry or call it what you will allows itself to get in this position. It seems to me it’s either live to your means and struggle to stay in the EFL or spend and risk financial Armageddon. Sort of mediocrity or die. So back on track when you throw all of this into the considerations for the January transfer window it’s a dilemma. Potentially increase your budget to ensure you lose more money. That’s fine while you have someone who’s prepared to bankroll it.
Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2021, 23:02:07 pm »

Its not critical of Pollock bird brain , you know, i can count on one hand how many comments ive made in 12 months on here,didnt take you long to start ,is it any wonder hardly anyone posts on here with you destroying threads with your ill thought out comments left right and centre.

Grin  You don’t like full stops do you?
Report Spam   Logged

Grove

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2021, 06:48:54 am »

Grin  You don’t like full stops do you?

And you are a sad old VVanker
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 62   Go Up