The Hotel End
April 16, 2024, 21:10:24 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Brady Bunch v Barrow Boys

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brady Bunch v Barrow Boys  (Read 12632 times)
west stand oap

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
2500 Posts Apple User Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #160 on: February 02, 2022, 10:07:39 am »

Barrow did not have to do much to win and will not have get an easier 3 points as we were totally devoid of creativity with all of the front 4 poor. We have signed 4 new forwards but last night we never looked like scoring. There is no point playing high balls to 5ft 8in Eppiah who is better with the ball at his feet but lost it on too many occasions, Pinnock was way below his best and Hoskins after having a good game in a free roaming role against Salford reverted to his usual position and was anonymous as was Lewis. Lubala added a spark when he came on and looks kike proving a useful addition.
Even Roberts performance dropped and too many of his kicks went straight out of play but he was rarely tested other than 2 Ollie Banks free kicks which he easily dealt with. Their goal started from us giving away an avoidable corner and again came just after half time, that is now 11 (44%) of the 25 conceded that have come during this period. Their 'keeper was rarely put under pressure but it could be seen that he was shakey when pressed.
McWilliams rightly got MoM but is heading for another 2 match suspension after getting another needless yellow. There is no point arguing with the referee who last night was better than most we have had this season.
Last night cried out for an Alan McCormack to get into the players and grab the game by the scruff of the neck or a Jason Taylor.
So that is now 5 points from the last 6 games and 4 points from the last 4 at home with only 2 goals scored. Last night was a good night for Tranmere who we now trail by 6 points and at the moment an automatic promotion place looks a long way away.
Report Spam   Logged
Mysterious Curle

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Third year Anniversary
« Reply #161 on: February 02, 2022, 10:30:26 am »

Barrow did not have to do much to win and will not have get an easier 3 points as we were totally devoid of creativity with all of the front 4 poor. We have signed 4 new forwards but last night we never looked like scoring. There is no point playing high balls to 5ft 8in Eppiah who is better with the ball at his feet but lost it on too many occasions, Pinnock was way below his best and Hoskins after having a good game in a free roaming role against Salford reverted to his usual position and was anonymous as was Lewis. Lubala added a spark when he came on and looks kike proving a useful addition.
Even Roberts performance dropped and too many of his kicks went straight out of play but he was rarely tested other than 2 Ollie Banks free kicks which he easily dealt with. Their goal started from us giving away an avoidable corner and again came just after half time, that is now 11 (44%) of the 25 conceded that have come during this period. Their 'keeper was rarely put under pressure but it could be seen that he was shakey when pressed.
McWilliams rightly got MoM but is heading for another 2 match suspension after getting another needless yellow. There is no point arguing with the referee who last night was better than most we have had this season.
Last night cried out for an Alan McCormack to get into the players and grab the game by the scruff of the neck or a Jason Taylor.
So that is now 5 points from the last 6 games and 4 points from the last 4 at home with only 2 goals scored. Last night was a good night for Tranmere who we now trail by 6 points and at the moment an automatic promotion place looks a long way away.

I was thinking that during the game. He was very good at disrupting play, being in the right place, did a number of sneaky blocks to stop us tracking back etc.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #162 on: February 02, 2022, 10:31:41 am »

Agree and disagree Melly …
I am JBs biggest fan - always have been - but why wait 68 mins to make a change when it was obvious 10 mins in we weren’t creating anything?
If you play one up front and then 4 of your 5 midfielders have shockers you really aren’t going to trouble the scorers. Lewis is always low impact for me, the big difference for me tonight were the shocking performances of Pinnock and Sowerby.
I guess we gotta hope the new Scottish lad will be our saviour up front?
I disagree that Barrow were a poor / average side. I reckon they were as good as anything we’ve seen at Sixfields. Solid at back, bossed midfield and some lively passing  and counter attacking.
Huge game Satdee now!

Just about right Jimbo - the Etete factor weighed heavily last night!
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #163 on: February 02, 2022, 10:37:25 am »

I challenge Roger to come back and say that last night was less boring than Sutton! Jesus, it couldn't have been worse. I'm not exaggerating when I say I cannot think of a single league game in 30 plus years where we have lost at home to such a dreadful side as Barrow, whilst somehow completely deserving of it! I'm sure that there have been a few similar ones (well may probably!) but certainly none worse. Last night as a one off, was as bad as it gets.

As others have said, the writing was on the wall after 10-15 minutes. Devoid of any atmosphere, we were just 'going through the motions' and it was crying out for an early tactical reshuffle. Why on earth we waited 15 minutes to make subs after they scored is totally baffling as well as well, I kept saying that we were just wasting time.

Not much point in adding anything else. Apart from one thing. Some of the comments attributed to the new striker are more than harsh. He was totally starved of any kind of service, totally outnumbered by their defence yet didn't stop running his arse off all the time he was on the pitch. I struggle to see what else he could have done given the circumstances. He put a right shift in!
Report Spam   Logged
Welly Cobb

View Profile
Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #164 on: February 02, 2022, 11:08:31 am »

Yeah, not at the races. Let's see if we bounce back next game. Lots of new faces, and not a lot of time to bed them in and train yet, proof will be in the eating come Saturday, but it has piled the pressure on.
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #165 on: February 02, 2022, 11:46:51 am »

I challenge Roger to come back and say that last night was less boring than Sutton! Jesus, it couldn't have been worse. I'm not exaggerating when I say I cannot think of a single league game in 30 plus years where we have lost at home to such a dreadful side as Barrow, whilst somehow completely deserving of it! I'm sure that there have been a few similar ones (well may probably!) but certainly none worse. Last night as a one off, was as bad as it gets.

As others have said, the writing was on the wall after 10-15 minutes. Devoid of any atmosphere, we were just 'going through the motions' and it was crying out for an early tactical reshuffle. Why on earth we waited 15 minutes to make subs after they scored is totally baffling as well as well, I kept saying that we were just wasting time.

Not much point in adding anything else. Apart from one thing. Some of the comments attributed to the new striker are more than harsh. He was totally starved of any kind of service, totally outnumbered by their defence yet didn't stop running his arse off all the time he was on the pitch. I struggle to see what else he could have done given the circumstances. He put a right shift in!
I'd put it that is somewhat of an exaggeration, or were you not present for Crawley a couple of weeks ago?
Our performance (imo) was shockingly worse than that of the Crawley game, who were extremely lucky to come away with a win. But like last night, they did!
Report Spam   Logged
45Yearsandstillsupporting

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #166 on: February 02, 2022, 11:57:55 am »

Agree with 90% of others on here on this one.  Very disappointing, I expected Barrow to play like a side 4th from bottom, they didn't.  From the off they were on the front foot I thought, not sure if that surprised us.  Thought Pinnock had an off night, but he has been playing very well up until last night.  Sowerby I was disappointed with again.  Why when we have the ball do we look back and sidewards?  So many times we could break but whoever had the ball seemed to wait until Barrow had re-grouped?  McGowan calling for the ball on the wing, but being ignored.  Can we tell the team that whilst Koiki has a great left peg, his right I think is redundant!  When you have the chance pass it to his left peg!

We've increased the number of forwards but whoever it is Rose, Bez, Appere, or Lubala if they don't get the service they ain't going to score!

Last night I hope was a blip, its got to be.  But we need runs forward from the midfield/inventive passes to the forwards.  Not just lumping it up.  I still have faith but think we have a Covid/Etete hangover going on a bit.

Thought the Barrow fans that made the journey did well as they were pretty vocal for the number.  Better than FGR!
Report Spam   Logged
Carton Lid

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #167 on: February 02, 2022, 13:39:22 pm »

First of all, I blame the sponsors  Grin You cant blame them for doing it but Barrow used every trick under the sun to waste time, I doubt if we actually saw more than 10 minutes football from 70 minutes up to 98. I was disappointed that the ref let them waste time without saying a word, people say "He added 8 minutes on" yes but it could easily have been 12. It wasn't just the time wasting it just killed any momentum we ever looked likely to get going by stopping the game every 2 minutes. They gave away a free kick and Cooper was shouting "Hold onto the ball, don't give it back" but all team bend the rules, it's up to the ref to clamp down on it. All that said, I think we would have struggled to score if we had played all night.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 02, 2022, 14:11:25 pm »

I can remember games in the early 50’s which were as bad mostly for a season or two. Again in the early 1960’s certainly in the  horrid 70’s.  About the 50’s , was still at school so emotions played a part! Plenty of examples recently against Crawley(the 4 goal hanmering) plenty of examples in the 90’s and much later as Carton Lid has suggested. As suggested on here we need to keep this set back in perspective. We all know this team can play better; most of us have witnessed this over current season! I don’t think the fans helped last night. Plenty of moans but no unified support. About the new players; my gut feel was that were
disappointing. In the cold light of a new day I have reassessed my kneejerk views; we simply have to support the team more as we all know they can do better! As said before we have a capable management team. As an aside I hope all those who are happy to criticise team and management actually remember to get to Walsall?
Report Spam   Logged

Mysterious Curle

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Third year Anniversary
« Reply #169 on: February 02, 2022, 14:24:32 pm »

From the off they were on the front foot I thought, not sure if that surprised us. 

You'd hope that wasn't the case. Even the guys on the radio were saying before the game that Barrow will come out the blocks, they don't play to defend etc.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 02, 2022, 14:55:17 pm »

You'd hope that wasn't the case. Even the guys on the radio were saying before the game that Barrow will come out the blocks, they don't play to defend etc.

...................personally I thought that was just what Barrow did - 5 in midfield and when a break was they chased like mad! When we started to build they had 11 men behind the ball, very apparent in the 2nd half. Admittedly our chronically slow build up helped that! If I am wrong please don't hesitate to advise why!
Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 02, 2022, 15:06:14 pm »

Considering our creativity seems to come from the two full backs I wonder wether JB might have in the back of his mind the option to switch formation to try to kick start a bit of a revival.
Something along the lines of the below might be interesting to see.

Roberts
McGowern-Horsfall-Magloire-Guthrie-Koiki
McWilliams-pinnock-Lewis
Eppiah-Bez

Or some combination of the above.
Would give more creative licence up top without worrying too much about sacrificing a holding midfielder due to having the extra CB.
Magloire looked like he could play the ball well so maybe he can push up to support in a bit of a CDM role.
Koiki and McGowern have more attacking freedom as they know they’ve got 3 CBs covering them.
We have more central attackers to play off of the defenders shoulders or to receive a cross around the penalty spot.

Then again I have zero professional football credentials so the above is just a brain dump;)

Nothing wrong with that team but perhaps Sowerby for Lewis? Also possibly Hoskins for Eppiah who would I have thought be pretty useful as a speedy sub!

Report Spam   Logged

Lanky Cobbler

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Combination
« Reply #172 on: February 02, 2022, 15:13:19 pm »

Team for me moving forwards is as follows....

Roberts
McGowan Horsfall Guthrie Koiki
Lubala Sowerby McWilliams Pinnock
Appere Eppiah

Get Hoskins & Lewis as far away from that starting line up as physically possible
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #173 on: February 02, 2022, 15:33:52 pm »

Team for me moving forwards is as follows....

Roberts
McGowan Horsfall Guthrie Koiki
Lubala Sowerby McWilliams Pinnock
Appere Eppiah

Get Hoskins & Lewis as far away from that starting line up as physically possible

Agree on the team selection although Hoskins has been playing well of late, Lewis is a luxury we can’t afford.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #174 on: February 02, 2022, 15:50:07 pm »

Hoskins has been doing very well this season but he had a stinker last night (and he wasn't alone there). That seems to have given the Hoskins-bashers the ammo they need to start bashing him again, but I think that's unfair.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 02, 2022, 15:54:32 pm »

Agree on the team selection although Hoskins has been playing well of late, Lewis is a luxury we can’t afford.

agreed
Report Spam   Logged

Grove

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #176 on: February 02, 2022, 16:11:03 pm »

Agree on the team selection although Hoskins has been playing well of late,
Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Grove

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #177 on: February 02, 2022, 16:17:40 pm »

Hoskins has been doing very well this season but he had a stinker last night (and he wasn't alone there). That seems to have given the Hoskins-bashers the ammo they need to start bashing him again, but I think that's unfair.

Hes been anonymous for weeks
Report Spam   Logged
sxcobbler

Proudtobe.

View Profile
Mobile User Search Combination
« Reply #178 on: February 02, 2022, 16:19:52 pm »

As alluded to ...we could do with Jason Taylor back here and the real miss is not signing a playmaker/ midfield General in the window.....anyone on loan ...doubtful..
Report Spam   Logged

Let's show some Ambition !
sxcobbler

Proudtobe.

View Profile
Mobile User Search Combination
« Reply #179 on: February 02, 2022, 16:21:31 pm »

Oh & what on earth does it take for Hoskins to be benched ....I would have, in the past, defended him , but recently he has been abysmal !
Report Spam   Logged

Let's show some Ambition !
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: