The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 11:59:02 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Scun thorpe United (a) Wed 29th December

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Scun thorpe United (a) Wed 29th December  (Read 6847 times)
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #60 on: December 29, 2021, 21:04:38 pm »

You really are incapable of combining reading with comprehension aren’t you

Let me try to make it clearer for you

It’s not subjective to say, for example the Romans were considerably more advanced than the Brits at the time of the Roman Empire- it’s an indisputable fact.
I appreciate when someone answers you with facts you rush to Google to try and make a clever comment but examples  are examples by definition and don’t include all cases and I’m not ignoring Hellenic or indeed any number of far reaching historical empires as for folks with a modicum of intelligence it was not necessary to publish a long list to illustrate a point.

Facts are an anathema to some on this forum and probably rightly so. You could at least have inserted 'The Hellenic' age as part of your argument. The trouble with your method of argument is that your facts are inevitably subjective by nature. In my opinion you are here to bore people with outlandish loony left wing pronouncements and in the process doing more harm to the aspirations of the Labour Party of Gaitskell, Wilson and Atlee; even Starmer. Your claim of a more established society in Egypt and Rome as opposed to 18/19th Century Great Britain is as subjective to the point of ridicule. 
Look forward to your next piece of rehearsed intelligentsia?
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Peter Frost

View Profile
1000 Posts Second year Anniversary Avatar
« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2021, 07:54:32 am »

Your claim of a more established society in Egypt and Rome as opposed to 18/19th Century Great Britain is as subjective to the point of ridicule. 

Which sadly once again shows your inability to read - at no time did I compare Egypt and Rome to the 18/19th century - my comparison was “at the time” the Romans were conquering a large part of the world and the Egyptians were building pyramids (which just to help you, was a few years before the 18th Century).
 This comparison, by far more learned scholars than either you or me is not conjecture or opinion but is in fact reality  based on a myriad of definitions on what constitutes advanced civilisations.

I’m tempted to quote Monty Python on this one but I won’t 😀.

Please also help me with even one actual example of an outlandish Loony left pronouncement- or are you making that up as well?

There is really no point in engaging in a discussion with me if you are incapable of comprehension of fairly basic English.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 08:17:08 am by Peter Frost » Report Spam   Logged
singcobb

View Profile
Level 6 Avatar Linux User
« Reply #62 on: January 01, 2022, 14:05:24 pm »

When people make statements like this I’d love to know the countries they have actually travelled too - my experience is the  the vast majority of the world’s population that have any knowledge of the British actually love and respect us - sadly the respect is starting to diminish but much more due to recent actions rather than any of the rights or wrongs of the British Empire.

Couldn't agree more with this having spent well over half my life working overseas, one of the biggest wave of change in feelings towards the UK came when the war criminal Blair licked Bush's árse and took us into an illegal war.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3338

« Reply #63 on: January 01, 2022, 14:18:34 pm »

Couldn't agree more with this having spent well over half my life working overseas, one of the biggest wave of change in feelings towards the UK came when the war criminal Blair licked Bush's árse and took us into an illegal war.
Yep,
Never gonna win Eurovision again.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #64 on: January 01, 2022, 16:28:42 pm »

Knighthood?
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
singcobb

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 01, 2022, 16:46:58 pm »

Knighthood?

Fúcking travesty
Report Spam   Logged
Peter Frost

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 02, 2022, 11:23:31 am »

Good spot mate - I expected people to latch onto my comment and start a pro/anti Brexit cause and reason (although it hasn’t helped), but that certainly was not the start of the decline in respect for the UK. I still to this day cannot understand Blair’s motives. Just to put a little balance into the discussion though, Cameron’s intervention in Libya, whilst less publicised had massive negative consequences.
Nonetheless taking all the above into account I still feel there is considerable respect and liking for the British people worldwide.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2022, 11:30:36 am by Peter Frost » Report Spam   Logged
singcobb

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 02, 2022, 12:00:48 pm »

Good spot mate - I expected people to latch onto my comment and start a pro/anti Brexit cause and reason (although it hasn’t helped), but that certainly was not the start of the decline in respect for the UK. I still to this day cannot understand Blair’s motives. Just to put a little balance into the discussion though, Cameron’s intervention in Libya, whilst less publicised had massive negative consequences.
Nonetheless taking all the above into account I still feel there is considerable respect and liking for the British people worldwide.

Strangely enough my Arab friends had a very positive take on the Libya intervention, Gadaffi didn't have many friends in the Arab World.
Report Spam   Logged
Peter Frost

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 03, 2022, 13:29:03 pm »

Strangely enough my Arab friends had a very positive take on the Libya intervention, Gadaffi didn't have many friends in the Arab World.

Agreed, but also there were plenty of Middle East nations that were quite happy to see Saddam toppled. I think the real point, whilst we don't like some of the despots running these countries, short term intervention to try and bring about western style democracies simply doesn't work. These despots tend to control a myriad of warring factions (typically with an iron fist) and sadly without this control the normal outcome is protracted civil war
Report Spam   Logged
singcobb

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 03, 2022, 19:09:15 pm »

Agreed, but also there were plenty of Middle East nations that were quite happy to see Saddam toppled. I think the real point, whilst we don't like some of the despots running these countries, short term intervention to try and bring about western style democracies simply doesn't work. These despots tend to control a myriad of warring factions (typically with an iron fist) and sadly without this control the normal outcome is protracted civil war

Bear in mind that the anti Saddam campaign was led by the Kuwaitis and the Saudis. Saddam had a very legitimate reason to invade Kuwait. They were stealing Iraqi oil and he had warned them on many occasions about this.
Report Spam   Logged
Peter Frost

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 04, 2022, 10:00:43 am »

Bear in mind that the anti Saddam campaign was led by the Kuwaitis and the Saudis. Saddam had a very legitimate reason to invade Kuwait. They were stealing Iraqi oil and he had warned them on many occasions about this.

Yes, I had a friend in Kuwait at the time and was very aware of the risk (he actually had to flee Kuwait with a young family driving all the way to ****stan via back roads in Iraq) - good to discuss with someone who has knowledge beyond the politically driven media headlines or people’s own political bias.
Back to Tony Blair - I still think for the majority of his terms he was a descent Prime Minister - unfortunately the Iraq decision was a terrible mistake (Did he deliberately lie or was he misinformed? - people will make their own minds up on that) either way, the consequences were terrible for so many people and for that alone the knighthood seems entirely inappropriate.
Report Spam   Logged
singcobb

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 04, 2022, 19:19:53 pm »

Yes, I had a friend in Kuwait at the time and was very aware of the risk (he actually had to flee Kuwait with a young family driving all the way to ****stan via back roads in Iraq) - good to discuss with someone who has knowledge beyond the politically driven media headlines or people’s own political bias.
Back to Tony Blair - I still think for the majority of his terms he was a descent Prime Minister - unfortunately the Iraq decision was a terrible mistake (Did he deliberately lie or was he misinformed? - people will make their own minds up on that) either way, the consequences were terrible for so many people and for that alone the knighthood seems entirely inappropriate.

In Bahrain they built a whole new town for Kuwaiti refugees, mind you it did cost Kuwait and Saudi some oil concessions later in the day.
Report Spam   Logged
southofthecounty

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #72 on: January 19, 2022, 20:36:39 pm »

His motive was fundamental Christianity. He saw it as "Good V Bad". A continuation of the Crusades. Never trust anyone prone to believing superstition.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: