The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 17:54:44 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Swindon (A) Saturday 1st Jan 2022

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Swindon (A) Saturday 1st Jan 2022  (Read 11678 times)
Jonesy9

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Level 4 Second year Anniversary Topic Starter
« Reply #80 on: January 01, 2022, 15:30:46 pm »

IDK, but it might have something to do with the fact that the majority of the squad have had Covid and are knackered and short of match practice after 3 weeks without a game? Roll Eyes The second half was always going to be a challenge given Swinedon's superior match sharpness having played much more recently than us.

Calm down - it's not as if this has been a regular occurrence this season.

The challenge is that it is a regular occurrence for his season though:
Swindon
Bradford
Bristol Rovers
Cambridge in the cup
Hartlepool
Salford

All losses from a winning position. That’s the difference between top of a very poor league, and not.
Appreciate that this game is off of the back of Covid issues but Swindon have the same issues. The above loses we’re not covid related.
Report Spam   Logged
ntfclad

View Profile
Windows User Search Combination
« Reply #81 on: January 01, 2022, 15:39:08 pm »

The challenge is that it is a regular occurrence for his season though:
Swindon
Bradford
Bristol Rovers
Cambridge in the cup
Hartlepool
Salford

All losses from a winning position. That’s the difference between top of a very poor league, and not.
Appreciate that this game is off of the back of Covid issues but Swindon have the same issues. The above loses we’re not covid related.

7 single goal victories as well this season which shows that they are actually decent at holding onto leads.

And didn’t we draw at Bradford and Salford? So 3 defeats from winning positions and 7 single goal victories where we’ve held on. Your point looks a bit less solid now.
Report Spam   Logged
CobblerForever

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 01, 2022, 15:46:11 pm »

Attendance = 9,071.

That's a lot more revenue than we can get from a home game - probably in the order of £40k net of VAT.
Report Spam   Logged
CobblerForever

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 01, 2022, 15:49:08 pm »

Forest Green - 7 points ahead of us with a game in hand - they are heading for a season like ours back in 86/87.
Report Spam   Logged
Jonesy9

View Profile
Level 4 Second year Anniversary Topic Starter
« Reply #84 on: January 01, 2022, 15:49:14 pm »

My point is that if we want to get promoted we need to close out away games when we are leading. We’ve dropped a lot of points away from home.
We’ve done well at home, but my point is that we should be better at not capitulating away from home. So I think the point still stands.
You could argue that my expectations are too high, and that would be fair to argue though.
Report Spam   Logged
ntfclad

View Profile
Windows User Search Combination
« Reply #85 on: January 01, 2022, 15:55:47 pm »

My point is that if we want to get promoted we need to close out away games when we are leading. We’ve dropped a lot of points away from home.
We’ve done well at home, but my point is that we should be better at not capitulating away from home. So I think the point still stands.
You could argue that my expectations are too high, and that would be fair to argue though.

Yeah you’re just being too harsh. We didn’t capitulate against Harrogate or Exeter last time out did we. There’s clearly a good reason why we did today.
Report Spam   Logged
Peter Frost

View Profile
1000 Posts Second year Anniversary Avatar
« Reply #86 on: January 01, 2022, 15:57:54 pm »

…..but today at 2-1 we were never dominating - there were too many chances before (and unfortunately after) to suggest we could close the game down particularly after conceding so quickly
Report Spam   Logged
guest49

« Reply #87 on: January 01, 2022, 16:06:59 pm »

We’ve probably been lucky with covid up to now. Most teams have missed key players and had to play. We’ve been wiped out and the break couldn’t have come at a worse time considering our current form.
Let’s hope we bounce back and recapture our previous form sooner rather than later.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3338

« Reply #88 on: January 01, 2022, 16:35:46 pm »

Let's hope it's not a season of two halves.
Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #89 on: January 01, 2022, 17:08:54 pm »

If there's a criticism of the side this year it's that we don't score enough goals. We've made up for that by having a rock solid defence and that balance has seen us sitting pretty in second at the turn of the year. They've earned some leeway when results like today come along.

I felt for Brady during his post match interview today. I find him to be quite straight talking and calls it as he sees it. He desperately seemed like he was trying not to make excuses but there are times when you do have an excuse! Not having played for 3 weeks and only getting one training session in prior to playing a decent team was a step too far for us. Hopefully this time next week normal service will have resumed.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #90 on: January 01, 2022, 17:27:20 pm »

Hoskins goal was good to see from a magnificent pass from McW. Then came half time! At 1-2 we looked likely winners. The three goals scored by Swindon all appeared to be down to be ‘foot off the pedal’ after that our defence went to pieces and could have been 7-2 thanks to the bar and post plus some shocking misses. Roberts did ok with one save. At least it make the transfer market interesting! Is the back four good enough for L1; on that showing no chance. Bringing Kabamba was for me a waste of time and Rose did not have an effective game! McW got himself booked for a silly foul and after his great pass simply disappeared as did Sowerby. Their beefy centre forward caused us a lot of trouble and how we miss Ete? Would have played BAS of Kabamba. Magnificent fans though, filled the allocation but attendance was given as 700+ but looked far more than 700+
We lack a presence in midfield to put it mildly. If only we had Ete. For me Kioki had a poor second half , not alone though!
Very disappointed with that display; not a patch on previous away games. This thread will exceed 10pages when the usual suspects take the opportunity!
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
swindonclaret

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 01, 2022, 17:29:16 pm »

At least I got something from today - £507 in the half time draw  Smiley Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #92 on: January 01, 2022, 18:03:12 pm »

No way we would have lost that 5-2 with a fully fit squad.

As Brady said 'yesterday was the first time we have had the whole group together and the players are nowhere near conditioned'. Swindon probably benefited from the game they had in the week.'

We were right in the game and looking like possible winners for 50 minutes and I am confident that this is a one off aberration for a hitherto excellent defence. 

However, it was clear again that we lack a decent alternative to Etete as the number 9/lone striker.
If we'd had a proper targetman up front with the capacity to hold the ball up and work the channels then it would have taken pressure off the defence and given us an 'out ball' which might have reduced the scale of the capitulation.

This needs to be the priority signing in January - instinct tells me that the Marquis rumours are pie in the sky but he is exactly the type of player we need. Danny Hylton would be another, perhaps more realistic possibility.

Brady had very few options in terms of game management substitutions once Swindon's superior match fitness started to tell - a back up defensive midfielder in the McCormack/Sheehan mould would have been much appreciated too.

Report Spam   Logged
Madrid Cobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #93 on: January 01, 2022, 18:21:48 pm »

I agree that we'd probably have lost by less (or not at all) with a fully fit squad. However, apart from that, it was just Swindon's day. Their second goal come after 2 ricochets that could have gone anywhere, but landed right at a Swindon player's feet, plus an excellent finish for the second. Their 3rd was also a ricochet off Roberts that landed perfectly for their striker. On another day those balls bounce in a slightly different direction and we're still 2-1 up with half an hour to play. Fine margins. Their 4th goal was a stunner (though poorly defended) from a striker whose build and lack of speed suggest he'll hardly ever score goals like that again. The 5th goal was a deflection off Horsfall or Guthrie. They had a 20 minute period where everything ran for them, as sometimes happens in football. We would have done better with more match fitness, but even so, lady luck was with Swindon when it mattered today.

At 5-2 and having to sub because I imagine half our players were knackered, and knowing that we don't have match winners on the bench, it was game over and damage limitation. Our back 4 stayed on but looked exhausted too. I think and hope this is not a reflection of how things are going to be in a week or so once players' get into proper training and reach match fitness.
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #94 on: January 01, 2022, 18:29:25 pm »

That for me was a one off, the lads were clearly running out of gas in the second half.
Fully expect to see a big reaction against Creepy next week.
Who was that fûcking half wit who thought he was a plane in the home end, what a nob, oh and Swindon is still an utter shîthole.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 01, 2022, 19:42:42 pm »

No way we would have lost that 5-2 with a fully fit squad.

As Brady said 'yesterday was the first time we have had the whole group together and the players are nowhere near conditioned'. Swindon probably benefited from the game they had in the week.'

We were right in the game and looking like possible winners for 50 minutes and I am confident that this is a one off aberration for a hitherto excellent defence. 

However, it was clear again that we lack a decent alternative to Etete as the number 9/lone striker.
If we'd had a proper targetman up front with the capacity to hold the ball up and work the channels then it would have taken pressure off the defence and given us an 'out ball' which might have reduced the scale of the capitulation.

This needs to be the priority signing in January - instinct tells me that the Marquis rumours are pie in the sky but he is exactly the type of player we need. Danny Hylton would be another, perhaps more realistic possibility.

Brady had very few options in terms of game management substitutions once Swindon's superior match fitness started to tell - a back up defensive midfielder in the McCormack/Sheehan mould would have been much appreciated too.

Hope you are right but such was the magnitude of the defeat; Covid might be one reason but at times we were outplayed in periods of the the first half but once we scored an excellent goal parity was restored. When we took the lead I thought we were en route for a win!
Entirely agree on Etete as he was sorely missed and with him we might have survived. Some of the goals conceded had a comical air with Guthrie and Horsfall at odds in defense for most of the second half. Seems to me we need to stiffen up the midfield and perhaps in the back two.  
« Last Edit: January 01, 2022, 20:09:57 pm by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 01, 2022, 19:54:51 pm »

7 single goal victories as well this season which shows that they are actually decent at holding onto leads.

And didn’t we draw at Bradford and Salford? So 3 defeats from winning positions and 7 single goal victories where we’ve held on. Your point looks a bit less solid now.

Still not an unreasonable POV ntfclad. Have to give Jonesy the benefit of the doubt as any loss of that magnitude is hard to bear and perhaps it got to him? Judging by some of the faces after the game quite a few found it hard too! Would not be surprised if Manny was deeply upset?
Report Spam   Logged

Letchworthcobbler

View Profile
Level 5 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #97 on: January 01, 2022, 20:08:47 pm »

Yeah you’re just being too harsh. We didn’t capitulate against Harrogate or Exeter last time out did we. There’s clearly a good reason why we did today.

Do you roughly how many players we are looking to bring in?
Report Spam   Logged

I have nothing to declare except my genius
guest3086

« Reply #98 on: January 01, 2022, 20:18:09 pm »

If you look at most of the winning teams in this league today you will see that they haven't played since Dec 11 either, it really shouldn't be used as an excuse. Brady is not doing the team any favours by suggesting Covid is the culprit. That was a poor capitulation in half 2 and needs to be addressed, some new blood wouldn't hurt.
Report Spam   Logged
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #99 on: January 01, 2022, 21:11:38 pm »

If you look at most of the winning teams in this league today you will see that they haven't played since Dec 11 either, it really shouldn't be used as an excuse. Brady is not doing the team any favours by suggesting Covid is the culprit. That was a poor capitulation in half 2 and needs to be addressed, some new blood wouldn't hurt.

It would have been a lot less of an issue if we'd been playing another team who had also been out of action since Dec 11.

Swindon clearly had significantly less Covid in the camp than us and were able to play against Stevenage on Wednesday and presumably train all week.

Do you really think that isn't a significant disadvantage?
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: