The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 16:23:45 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Swindon (A) Saturday 1st Jan 2022

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Swindon (A) Saturday 1st Jan 2022  (Read 11676 times)
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« on: December 29, 2021, 11:53:06 am »

Come in OAP and GPC with your intro's ...please. Cool
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

west stand oap

View Profile
2500 Posts Apple User Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2021, 13:52:03 pm »

OK Evers, in anticipation of us playing again. Swindon last played on 11th December in a 0-2 defeat at Barrow so have been out of action like us since that date. They currently sit in 8th position on 33 points, 7 points below us with a game in hand which they will catch up this evening as they are at home to Stevenage. Swindon are 22nd in the div 2 home records as only 10 of their 33 points have been gained on home soil (they should add to that tonight). They have 2 wins (Mansfield, Hartlepool), 4 draws (Tranmere, Colchester, Rochdale, Harrogate) and 3 defeats (Carlisle, Port Vale, Bradford). In these 9 games they have scored 10 goals but only twice scored more than 1 and twice they have failed to score. They have conceded 11 keeping 3 clean sheets but on 4 occasions conceding at least 2.
I thought they looked a decent team when they came here but maybe they are more suited to playing away. They like to play a possession based game and I think we can have some success with a high pressing game.
In our last 3 visits we have a win and 2 draws but our overall record there is quite poor. The head to head records I have retrieved show that in 54 visits we have only 9 wins, 10 draws and 35 defeats in all competitions. They have outscored us by 117 goals to 49.
As they are playing tonight it would appear they are in a slightly better covid position than us. It will be interesting to see what kind of team we can select and if we have a full squad of 18. Therefore it is impossible to make a prediction but let's hope we can continue our run of form (25 points from the last 30) from where we left off.
Report Spam   Logged
swindonclaret

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2021, 14:48:14 pm »

seen them a few times this season as I live nearby and have stopped travelling to a lot of Northampton away games.

I think the majority view from the stands is that it's less "possession football" and more "messing about at the back".

Teams have had a lot of success pressuring the keeper when he has to get rid of the ball, he looks a bit panicky, but he's a great shot stopper.

Local paper for tonight says still short of 4 players due to covid / injuries. Hopefully, there'll be a few with their minds on playing Man City 3rd XI the following friday night

BTW as the capacity is over 10k, even though I doubt the attendance will reach that level, you'll need a covid pass / negative test <48 hours
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2021, 16:33:27 pm »

seen them a few times this season as I live nearby and have stopped travelling to a lot of Northampton away games.

I think the majority view from the stands is that it's less "possession football" and more "messing about at the back".

Teams have had a lot of success pressuring the keeper when he has to get rid of the ball, he looks a bit panicky, but he's a great shot stopper.

Local paper for tonight says still short of 4 players due to covid / injuries. Hopefully, there'll be a few with their minds on playing Man City 3rd XI the following friday night

BTW as the capacity is over 10k, even though I doubt the attendance will reach that level, you'll need a covid pass / negative test <48 hours

I thought they were artificially keeping the attendance below 10000 to avoid the need for passes for this game. Partly the reason they only offered us 800 odd tickets. Now I see they are "trialling" the requirement for a COVID pass in advance of two games where they will have over 10000 present (Man City FA Cup and Bristol Rovers in the league)...... no mention of whether this trial will extend to visiting fans on Saturday though.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
guest2995

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2021, 20:26:05 pm »

Cobbs want this game on
Report Spam   Logged
Peter Frost

View Profile
1000 Posts Second year Anniversary Avatar
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2021, 20:49:30 pm »

They only managed a 0-0 against a seemingly poor Stevenage side tonight.
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2021, 08:50:33 am »

So after being starved of footy for the whole Christmas period, who’s going?
I would have thought we would sell out of less than 900 tickets for a relatively short journey.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
swindonclaret

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2021, 09:03:01 am »

Local opinion is that swindon were lucky to get away with 0-0 last night and Northampton will hammer them.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2021, 10:34:29 am »

I would have thought we would sell out of less than 900 tickets for a relatively short journey.

As always, I'll be there...  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
andycobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2021, 11:06:02 am »

My first time at Swindon, where are the best drinking places
Report Spam   Logged

if you hate peterborough clap your hands and Fxxk off poxford.
Letchworthcobbler

View Profile
Level 5 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2021, 12:14:53 pm »

Unfortunately I can't go as I have contracted covid Sad.Hooe we get the 3 points!
Report Spam   Logged

I have nothing to declare except my genius
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2021, 12:45:56 pm »

Should be a good turn out - no Cobbs game since 11th December so must be plenty of eager fans wanting to go!

PS Bad lucky Letchy Cobbler -  hope you get better soon, as your flags will be missed
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 13:03:13 pm by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Risdene

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Level 4
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2021, 14:38:23 pm »

Tickets are now available on the day!

See you at Swindon.
Report Spam   Logged
Peter Frost

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2021, 15:05:30 pm »

Well the 3 games I traveled back for didn’t happen so it’s iFollow for me I’m afraid.
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2021, 15:38:29 pm »

Well the 3 games I traveled back for didn’t happen so it’s iFollow for me I’m afraid.
Where are you based Peter?
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Peter Frost

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2021, 15:58:14 pm »

Where are you based Peter?

Switzerland, which is why I thought I might see you for the NI game here.
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2021, 16:09:34 pm »

Switzerland, which is why I thought I might see you for the NI game here.

I have some friends who live between Zurich and Zug, was hoping to get over for some skiing ⛷
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2021, 16:46:48 pm »

Come in OAP and GPC with your intro's ...please. Cool

Now that it looks like the game will be on I'll throw my stats into the mix!

OAP has already provided some, but following Swindons goalless draw with Stevenage last night they sit 7th in the table, that point lifting them into the last playoff place. Following a run of five consecutive wins (or 9 wins in 11 games if you prefer) in all competitions in October/November they have now only won one of their last six games and that was in the FA Cup at Walsall. Their reward for winning that game is a home televised tie against Manchester City next Friday night.

There was a decent crowd of 8131 at the County Ground last night, it was their first home League game in over a month though. Swindon have had no fewer than fourteen managers in the last 10 years, the current incumbent is Ben Garner, he's been in charge since July and has now actually recorded victories in 14 of his 28 games in charge for a solid 50% win ratio. Garner previously oversaw a less than successful reign at Bristol Rovers.

Midfielder Jack Payne leads the goalscoring charts, at least in the league, he has 8 goals to his name. Next up comes 19 year old forward Tyreece Simpson with seven, although he has two cup goals to add to that too. He was the scorer of the Robins goal in the reverse fixture earlier this season. Harry McKirdy has scored six goals this season too, and he has picked up 9 yellow cards in all competitions too.

Over the past few years there have been a few Cobblers connections....formers Cobblers turning out for the Robins have included Hallam Hope, Christopher Missilou, Keshi Anderson, Marc Richards, Luke Norris and of course Matt Taylor. Looking through the current squad list now though it seems that goalkeeper Lewis Ward is their only former Cobbler, he appeared on loan for us in 2018/19, used sparingly, much as he is being used sparingly by Swindon....he's made just two league appearances, his other five games have been in the EFL Trophy and the EFL Cup.

108 meetings between the two sides over the years, Swindon lead the way with 49 wins to our 36 and as OAP has already pointed out, the Swindon version of The County Ground is not a happy hunting ground for us, just nine wins in 54 matches there.

There has been a symmetry over the past three seasons, in 2018/19 both games ended in 1-1 draws (John Joe-O'Toole scoring for us at their place and Andy Williams our scorer at Sixfields). In 2019/20 both games ended in 1-0 away wins (Andy Williams again being the difference in the game at Swindon), and in 2020/21 both games ended in 2-1 home wins (Missilou and Rose our scorers at Sixfields, with Ryan Watson on the scoresheet in our defeat at the CG), therefore i'd put all your money on a repeat of the result earlier in this season just to keep the sequence going! In that game back in September a late Fraser Horsfall equaliser salvaged us a point in front of 5863 fans.

Referee appointments for the festive and New Year fixtures were made well over a week before Christmas, and the allocated ref for this game is James Oldham. He's in his fourth year on the EFL list, and so far this season has dished out a hefty 70 yellow and 2 red cards in 18 games. We saw him last in February when we slipped to defeat at Blackpool. He also reffed our win at Grimsby at the end of the curtailed 2020 season. This will be his second visit to the County Ground this season, he took charge of Swindons 1-0 Trophy win over Newport at the beginning of November.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
Zen Master

Taxi to Kings Heath mate?

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2021, 17:00:49 pm »

Don’t forget to do a LFT or have the Covid pass on your phones to show 2 doses as they’re being checked on admission.

Report Spam   Logged

I think someone should just take this city of Peterborough and just... just flush it down the f***in' toilet

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2022
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2021, 17:03:39 pm »

https://www.ntfc.co.uk/news/2021/december/swindon_tickets_301221/

But note the COVID-19 pass requirements for proof of vaccinations and/or LFT result from no earlier than 48hrs in advance:

https://www.swindontownfc.co.uk/news/2021/december/covid-certification-at-the-county-ground2/

Non compliance = no entry.
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: