The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 12:18:09 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Crawley Town (h) Saturday 8th January 2022

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crawley Town (h) Saturday 8th January 2022  (Read 7401 times)
west stand oap

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
2500 Posts Apple User Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2022, 09:40:39 am »

Crawley must have left wondering how they had managed to come away with the 3 points as they were 1 of the worst sides to visit this season. The first half was a non event apart from slack defending gifting them the goal from a simple through ball and that was the only attacking threat they posed all game as Roberts did not have to make a save. Unfortunately their 'keeper also had a pretty easy afternoon as the stats tell the story, 14 corners, 17 shots with only 1 on target as Lewis, Hoskins, etc all blazed decent chances over the bar.
After a lack of intensity in the first half we came out with more purpose in the second but despite the early pressure we failed to work their 'keeper. We were better in the final quarter after the subs had been made and Zimba looks like he has goals in him but could not convert the 1 on 1 when put through by Kabamba's flick on. I don't think he is able to play the Etete role and we are probably going to have to revert to playing 442 to accommodate him with a target man.
I thought our set play delivery was below the usual standard and was puzzled by the decision to take Koiki off, who had made several good bursting runs, and then put Pinnock at left back.
We are now at the half way point of the season and our 3 strikers have a total of 2 goals and therein lies our problem. Not difficult to see what needs fixing in the transfer window.
After 6 weeks without a home game it was rather disappointing to record our lowest home Saturday attendance, it was not as if they weather was particularly bad.
With FGR and Sutton to follow a vast improvement on that performance is needed otherwise we are going to have a very bad month.
Report Spam   Logged
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
Search 5000 Posts Level 6
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2022, 11:40:56 am »

Regardless of the amount of squandered chances, it took Brady well over an hour to introduce some sting into the side. Rose is useless.
Report Spam   Logged
CobblerForever

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2022, 11:49:16 am »

Regardless of the amount of squandered chances, it took Brady well over an hour to introduce some sting into the side. Rose is useless.

Hopefully, this will be lesson learned.
Report Spam   Logged
Madrid Cobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2022, 13:47:45 pm »

Hopefully we can look to offload Rose and BAS over the next few weeks. There must be other clubs willing to take a punt on them despite it not working out here.

Really? I hope you're right but I can hardly imagine many clubs wanting to take a punt on two strikers with such poor scoring records.
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2022, 13:59:21 pm »

Those suggesting returning to 4-4-2 must have short memories, we rarely created anything playing that formation earlier in the season and we’re getting continually overrun.
Report Spam   Logged
Peter Frost

View Profile
1000 Posts Second year Anniversary Avatar
« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2022, 14:07:46 pm »

Those suggesting returning to 4-4-2 must have short memories, we rarely created anything playing that formation earlier in the season and we’re getting continually overrun.

I think it’s somewhat dependent on who the “2” are.
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2022, 15:04:05 pm »

I think it’s somewhat dependent on who the “2” are.

I’m not convinced that the 4-4-2 that was so bad earlier in the season is suddenly going to work now we’ve swapped Etete for Zimba. It’s exactly the same midfield that was being overwhelmed and creating nothing.
Report Spam   Logged
west stand oap

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2022, 17:02:43 pm »

I think the 442 discussion arises from seeing Zimba's brief cameo yesterday as he does not appear the type of player to replace Etete in the loan striker role with his hold up play capabilities and needing a Kabamba, or similar target man, to feed off.
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2022, 17:45:56 pm »

I think the 442 discussion arises from seeing Zimba's brief cameo yesterday as he does not appear the type of player to replace Etete in the loan striker role with his hold up play capabilities and needing a Kabamba, or similar target man, to feed off.
In a nutshell, this.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Saint Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2022, 17:56:54 pm »

Huh?
Report Spam   Logged
Saint Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2022, 17:59:51 pm »

Huh?
Huh??
Report Spam   Logged
Saint Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2022, 18:02:23 pm »

Huh??
Report Spam   Logged
Saint Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2022, 18:02:42 pm »

Huh??
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2022, 18:15:03 pm »

Maybe a 4-4-2 might suit Zimba better, but do we have the midfield to play it? Earlier in the season we were tried various combinations but the one constant was we were getting overrun and creating nothing for the front two. I just don’t think things will be any different now, people might look at the last 20 minutes yesterday but for me that’s just an outlier, playing a poor team at home who were just trying to hold onto a lead. What that means for Zimba and where he fits into the team I don’t know, I just think people have short memories of how bad we were playing 4-4-2.
Report Spam   Logged
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
Search 5000 Posts Level 6
« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2022, 19:32:03 pm »

It’s always tempting to over complicate these these. Rose doesn’t score goals. I’d say the stats prove that completely. So if you put him on as your main goal scorer you’re fcuked. So Brady's job is to slot someone into that spot that doesn’t have to be particularly prolific. But certainly more than a player who averages one goal in what amounts to a seasons worth of games. I’m not a fully qualified coach. But I’d say that even by the law of averages, if you stuck a traffic cone in the box, it would deflect the ball into the net more than once over a season.
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #75 on: January 09, 2022, 21:12:39 pm »

It’s always tempting to over complicate these these. Rose doesn’t score goals. I’d say the stats prove that completely. So if you put him on as your main goal scorer you’re fcuked. So Brady's job is to slot someone into that spot that doesn’t have to be particularly prolific. But certainly more than a player who averages one goal in what amounts to a seasons worth of games. I’m not a fully qualified coach. But I’d say that even by the law of averages, if you stuck a traffic cone in the box, it would deflect the ball into the net more than once over a season.
Rose a traffic cone by any other name!  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
guest3481

« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2022, 07:41:53 am »

You win some, you lose some. Easier games to come?  Cool
Report Spam   Logged
west stand oap

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2022, 07:53:15 am »

I don't think we have easier games to come as we have to play all of the same teams again as we have played in the first half of the season.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #78 on: January 10, 2022, 09:55:53 am »

Agreed, plenty of critical discussion on lone striker/duo but until we know who else is coming in it’s a bit pointless. As for hindsight Criticism of JB on his selection, tactics but forgetting the two cruel blows dealt by Covid and above all by Spurs.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2022, 10:14:56 am »

Agree with this totally. I was saying to my mate at half time Id give it to 55-60 mins max and then go two up top and get Rose and anon off....

He's the obvious player who we could probably sell for a nominal fee (20 grand or something) and save on a big wage going out each month. I recall saying this a few weeks back. Given his record in front of goal if I was Brady Id be looking to cash in my chips and still have enough money for a taxi home.  Whilst I like Danny (he really does work hard), he's simply not contributing much and unlike Sam, doesn't have the versality to play in a number of positions. He's too expensive to just bring off the bench in order to do some diving about to help us over the line to a 1-0 win, which is the only thing I've seen him bring to the party this season quite frankly!

That said, we do need another striker to come in first (or simultaneously) because he's still percentage wise got more chance of scoring than the other two we've got (not including Zimba)!
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: