The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 00:32:26 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Crawley Town (h) Saturday 8th January 2022

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crawley Town (h) Saturday 8th January 2022  (Read 7384 times)
Dr Feelgood

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2022, 16:10:36 pm »

Brady out!!!
Report Spam   Logged

For goodness sake Doc we are NOT going down  Grin   you heard it here 1st  Wink

(I damn well hope that does not come back to haunt me)
guest3338

« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2022, 16:50:54 pm »

Zimba.
Quick, lively, and got into positions that Rose doesn't. He also quickly realised tbat defenders in this league are physical and that refs don't blow like they obviously do in U/23's and he gave a bit back.
I think he'll be a useful addition and capable of starting for Brady. Jury's out as to his goal scoring prowess, but he could have won it for us today. We'll know soon enough if he's more BAS than Etete.
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2022, 16:57:56 pm »

Zimba.
Quick, lively, and got into positions that Rose doesn't. He also quickly realised tbat defenders in this league are physical and that refs don't blow like they obviously do in U/23's and he gave a bit back.
I think he'll be a useful addition and capable of starting for Brady. Jury's out as to his goal scoring prowess, but he could have won it for us today. We'll know soon enough if he's more BAS than Etete.

Rose is starting right now who has 1 league goal in his last 45 league appearances. Unless we sign another striker I would definitely start Zimba in the next league match.
Report Spam   Logged
the grumpy old man

View Profile
1000 Posts Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2022, 17:11:22 pm »

Crawly managed to win the game with their only shot on target.  We had enough chances in the last 20 mins to have won two matches let alone 1, and there lies the problem - we need someone, anyone to put the ball in the net, we really missed Etete today. Thought Zimba did ok and if no one else comes in before next week he needs to start imo and so does Connolly.

If we are not up to it next week it could be another 5 - 2. Over to you JB.
Report Spam   Logged
Peter Frost

View Profile
1000 Posts Second year Anniversary Avatar
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2022, 17:15:22 pm »

Rose is starting right now who has 1 league goal in his last 45 league appearances. Unless we sign another striker I would definitely start Zimba in the next league match.

Rose is a relatively hardworking irritation to the opposition, maybe it's the system but for me he doesn't deliver enough and also spends too much time trying to get fouls - didn't con what I thought was a pretty good ref today. Certainly looking at the balance of play today 2 up front looks the way to go. Too early to really form an opinion on the new boy but I thought albeit a cameo Kabamba played OK alongside him. Annoying result where we certainly deserved something and a tough one next week to get back on track  - still, close to the halfway point and still in an automatic place after 2 defeats so no need for doom and gloom.  
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 17:16:56 pm by Peter Frost » Report Spam   Logged
Madrid Cobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2022, 17:22:17 pm »

Crawly managed to win the game with their only shot on target.  We had enough chances in the last 20 mins to have won two matches let alone 1, and there lies the problem - we need someone, anyone to put the ball in the net, we really missed Etete today. Thought Zimba did ok and if no one else comes in before next week he needs to start imo and so does Connolly.

If we are not up to it next week it could be another 5 - 2. Over to you JB.

Yes poor first half but in the second we really should have scored at least 3. Even with our less than potent strikeforce on another day we'd have won that comfortably, so no need for panic stations just yet and well done to JB for getting tactics right second half. He can't be blamed for players inability to put the ball away. Crawley were also extremely lucky. There were lots of ricochets and defections in their penalty area and several times they didn't really know where the ball was in their own six yard box but still managed to scramble it away.

Agree that Zimba is worth giving a start and Rose is definitely not the man to play alone up front, unless our only objective is to try to win soft fouls. Not so sure about Connolly starting though. I agree he did well today, but it's the first time I've seen him really look the part. I'd like to see a bit more of that before I'd consider him worth a place in the starting line-up. In any case, I have a feeling he's one of those players who's going to be most effective off the bench - as Mark Marshall was.

Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2022, 17:31:01 pm »

Yes poor first half but in the second we really should have scored at least 3. Even with our less than potent strikeforce on another day we'd have won that comfortably, so no need for panic stations just yet and well done to JB for getting tactics right second half. He can't be blamed for players inability to put the ball away. Crawley were also extremely lucky. There were lots of ricochets and defections in their penalty area and several times they didn't really know where the ball was in their own six yard box but still managed to scramble it away.

Agree that Zimba is worth giving a start and Rose is definitely not the man to play alone up front, unless our only objective is to try to win soft fouls. Not so sure about Connolly starting though. I agree he did well today, but it's the first time I've seen him really look the part. I'd like to see a bit more of that before I'd consider him worth a place in the starting line-up. In any case, I have a feeling he's one of those players who's going to be most effective off the bench - as Mark Marshall was.

Agree with all of that, Zimba needs to be in a two though or out wide. We desperately need to sign a target man.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Jim Hall Fixit

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary 500 Posts Avatar
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2022, 18:05:07 pm »

Disappointed with JB today -  he bottled it.
I think he has some misplaced loyalty towards Danny and that swayed his starting line up decision. That first half was awful but with Danny up front and Lewis being totally invisibly for 45 mins what do you expect??
He must treat Danny as an impact sub from now on. Even if we sign no one else, we look much better with Z&K up front.
Report Spam   Logged

"My three children were born in Northamptonshire so I like to think I'm an adopted Northamptonian and it's the same for Rico and Sammo. It means a lot to us because this is our county.
Jonesy9

View Profile
Level 4 Second year Anniversary Topic Starter
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2022, 18:06:17 pm »

The problem that I see is that I just don’t understand our game plan and tactics. Are we aiming to play the long ball? If so we never seem to execute it (even with Etete). We play it too slowly for that and we always play it so slowly that we give the other team time to get ready to defend the long ball. Never any urgency to try to catch them out.

Then sometimes we seem to try to play it down the wings. But again we don’t seem to play it with urgency. There’s never any real conviction, drive or belief that we can beat them on the wings and put a decent ball in.

Then sometimes we try to play short passes and work our way through them. But again we never seem to try to play any killer through balls, we just expect that something magic will happen.

With no focal point up top the team looks like they lack any belief about who will score, so it just looks like they’re more comfortable try to play sideways.
Then teams sense it and are happy to sit back and hit us quickly on the break as they realise we have no real attacking threat.

It shows when most of our goals are from set pieces and throw ins.

As soon as Zimba came on the game changed. It looked like the players believed that our attacking outlet could actually do something with the ball and we started to try to get the ball into him.

I think off of the back of that performance we’ve got to try with Zimba from the start. Brady obviously doesn’t rate the rest of the forwards and Etete was starting above all of the rest. So why not start Zimba now if we think he’s as good.
From that showing he looks a lot shaper and more of a threat than Etete.
Report Spam   Logged
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2022, 19:00:48 pm »

The problem that I see is that I just don’t understand our game plan and tactics. Are we aiming to play the long ball?

The problem that I see is that I just don’t understand our game plan and tactics. Are we aiming to play the long ball?

Not much wrong with our 'tactics' IMO - they've got us to second in the league
and we created more than enough chances to win the game today. We took
a while to get going today, but dominated created and won 17 corners.

We are not a 'long ball' team by any means - we're a team that can mix it up and play it through
the lines, spread it out wide using overlapping full backs, or go direct into the
channels when necessary. The brand of football is superior to anything dished up
by one-note long-ball merchants like Curle and Hoofroyd.

We've got a strong 4-2-3-1 system in place. With Etete's departure, however, it's crystal clear to everyone that we need a replacement for the lone frontman in the system - someone who can hold the ball up, run the channels and stick the ball in the onion bag every now and again.

Report Spam   Logged
The 12th Marquis of Sixfields
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
Search Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2022, 19:47:46 pm »

Even though he managed to clear the ball with his first touch, we were a different side with him on the pitch and for that I think he should most certainly start next week
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2023
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2022, 19:51:37 pm »

I would expect Zimba to be on the bench and be brought on later in the game. I would not be surprised if it was an unchanged starting 11 unless after last week with the ball not sticking up front he may play Kabamba who was praised for his hold up play at Harrogate.

As it was you were right with Rose starting
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2022, 21:21:26 pm »

I don't think that JB had any option but to play the same side as there was no obvious replacements. JB has some tricky decisions to make,
What system to play, two up front? or just Zimba on his own? I would prefer to stick with a tried and trusted system which has got us in to the top three! I don't think Zimba is a natural replacement for Etete who again we sorely missed. For me would sign for example a Hylton type striker player but not at £4100/week! Plus a decent midfielder who is capable of weighing in with a few(!) goals. So just 3 players incl Zimba. Zimba can come off the bench. I don't think Zimba is a natural athlete like Etete but he might be capable of more goals than Etete. - just a gut feel.  I personally would not sign too many players for fear of watering down the togetherness of the squad; as if this would happen Roll Eyes. The decisions on whom we sign and above al the formation will of course determine our season.. We may change the horses but as long we draw the same carriage we still might achieve promotion.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 21:49:12 pm by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

guest3086

« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2022, 21:26:47 pm »

Covid is costing us dear and now with the Afcon distraction, we really are victims of circumstance.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2022, 21:57:38 pm »

Covid is costing us dear and now with the Afcon distraction, we really are victims of circumstance.

Not sure we would lose Kabamba and Zimba to Afcon, perhaps Etete as he has scored more goals and the great BAS not to mention Zimba.
Report Spam   Logged

Jim Hall Fixit

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2022, 22:14:56 pm »

The Crawley Fans Forum are having a giggle tonight at our expense…
Best quote: “Guess what - Northampton fire wide again another good chance from 8 yards. Not seen a more appalling display of shooting than this”
Another contributor expects us to tumble down the league given our appalling finishing. With another saying that we wouldn’t manage very well in Div 1 with a forward line like that.
And this is fcuking Crawley!!! Bloody annoying but hard to argue with any of it.
Next stop FGR!! At least 3 of todays starting 11 need to be on the bench for us to stand any chance.
I know 2 of them but just not 100% sure about the third!?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 22:18:11 pm by Jim Hall Fixit » Report Spam   Logged

"My three children were born in Northamptonshire so I like to think I'm an adopted Northamptonian and it's the same for Rico and Sammo. It means a lot to us because this is our county.
Jim Hall Fixit

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2022, 22:37:33 pm »

….

We've got a strong 4-2-3-1 system in place. With Etete's departure, however, it's crystal clear to everyone that we need a replacement for the lone frontman in the system - someone who can hold the ball up, run the channels and stick the ball in the onion bag every now and again.

We didn’t / don’t have the players now to play a 4-2-3-1 so why waste 45 mins trying to do so?
Rose is never going to be the “1”. I was moderately impressed with Kabamba (but that’s the only time!) at Harrogate and, like others, I’m not sure about the new kids ability to do the loan job up front.
So let’s stick to 4-4-2 eh - especially at home.
Report Spam   Logged

Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2022, 23:11:08 pm »

He must treat Danny as an impact sub from now on.

If we are looking to hold on to a lead maybe, if we actually need a goal no chance.
Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2022, 06:53:29 am »

The first half yesterday was dour. Both sides failed to impress or entertain. Crawley had half a chance and took it well, but other than that the only incidents worthy of note were Rose's attempts at being a poor man's Charlie Goode in the s***housery stakes.

The changes livened us up in the second half and while it was still a bit of a stilted showing from us, the last 20 minutes were frantic and highly entertaining. How we didn't at least get an equaliser is anyone's guess, which their manager also pretty much said in his post match comments.

I liked the look of Zimba when he came on as he was direct and made things happen. He kept his nerve & composure and largely did everything right with his one on one chance but I think the goalkeeper deserves a lot of credit for how he made himself big and tipped it wide.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
guest216

« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2022, 07:44:49 am »

The Crawley Fans Forum are having a giggle tonight at our expense…
Best quote: “Guess what - Northampton fire wide again another good chance from 8 yards. Not seen a more appalling display of shooting than this”
Another contributor expects us to tumble down the league given our appalling finishing. With another saying that we wouldn’t manage very well in Div 1 with a forward line like that.
And this is fcuking Crawley!!! Bloody annoying but hard to argue with any of it.
Next stop FGR!! At least 3 of todays starting 11 need to be on the bench for us to stand any chance.
I know 2 of them but just not 100% sure about the third!?

Wasn't at the game but honestly there's some encouragement to take from that. I'd be more concerned if we weren't making chances, as that's a much bigger obstacle to overcome.

Hopefully we can look to offload Rose and BAS over the next few weeks. There must be other clubs willing to take a punt on them despite it not working out here, Rose in particular still seems to be held in high regard at Mansfield.

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: