The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 16:05:54 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Djokovic and his exemption.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Djokovic and his exemption.  (Read 2906 times)
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« on: January 06, 2022, 01:20:47 am »

I notice there seems to be a bit of confusion in the media over the deportation thing, so I thought I would try to help out. There are 2 hurdles to overcome. The first are the State Government rules as to what you can and can’t do in the State of Victoria. The Victorian State Government headed by Daniel Andrews have apparently quite sensibly handed over the process of participation in the Australian Open to a team of doctors to assess each applicant blindly. They then grant or deny participation in the Australian Open on the strength of the evidence provided. However, this would be on the assumption that the individual has been granted access into Australia. The problem Djokovic faced was that he didn’t grasp one fundamental principle of Australian law. Entry into Australia isn’t controlled by the State Government, indeed the international arrivals section of the airport isn’t even Victorian soil. It is under Federal Government control, a bit like a foreign embassy in say London. Access into Australia is controlled by the Federal Government headed by Scott Morrison and as such any medical exemption to play in the Australian open is irrelevant. Presumably the doctors would have approved the exemption to play in Victoria on the basis that the individual had already been allowed into Australia by the Federal Government anyway?

Anyone may be granted a Visa to enter Australia because it is dependant on the information the individual provides on the application. However, upon arrival the individual needs to satisfy border officials that the statements made on the application are true and can be reasonably proved as accurate. It appears Djokovic and his team were unable to do this. So as a result his Visa has been canceled and he is to be deported subject to an apparent legal appeal.

On a personal note my advice to Novak Djokovic would be to accept the decision. Should his appeal be successful I would expect the public reception to be particularly unpleasant. The strength of feeling over this matter in Australia is considerable to say the least.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 01:25:45 am by Melbourne Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2022, 06:31:57 am »

Well done Australia, one rule for one is one rule for everyone.
He obviously hasn't watched 'Border Security' on TV.  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2022, 06:45:01 am »

The rational part of me applauds Australia on this and thinks this sends a powerful message to the anti vax mob.

The petty vindictive part of me however hopes they overturn the decision so he can be booed on every point he plays and gets to see exactly what people think of his moronic views.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2022, 07:59:24 am »

To be clear there are thousands of Australians who have been denied permission to travel to see dying relatives. Similarly thousands of Australians have been waiting months and in some cases years to return to Australia. Upon arrival they have been subjected to quarantine, vaccination evidence and all the standard conditions you would expect. This bloke seems to think he is entitled to bypass all of this on the basis that he can wave a tennis racket about, and has been gloating about it all over social media. He has apparently not been entirely truthful or at least completely open regarding his status and now seems to want his legal team to make an application for damages because he has been denied his assumed god given right to go where he wants when he wants whilst indulging any and every whim or impulse he may have. This is whilst giving little thought to the consequences to anyone else whether he is a guest in their country or not. It’s being reported that he has the full backing of the Serbian government who also seemingly agree with his stance that waving a tennis racket around with a degree of competence is the primary condition of being able to bypass rules that have been put in place in an attempt to protect the most vulnerable in Australian society. It all seems rather misguided and arrogant to me. But then I am not able to play tennis to the standard of Novak Djokovic, so am clearly not entitled or worthy of the same privileges and entitlement as this sporting superstar.
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
EB Claret

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2022, 14:21:26 pm »

To be clear there are thousands of Australians who have been denied permission to travel to see dying relatives. Similarly thousands of Australians have been waiting months and in some cases years to return to Australia. Upon arrival they have been subjected to quarantine, vaccination evidence and all the standard conditions you would expect. This bloke seems to think he is entitled to bypass all of this on the basis that he can wave a tennis racket about, and has been gloating about it all over social media. He has apparently not been entirely truthful or at least completely open regarding his status and now seems to want his legal team to make an application for damages because he has been denied his assumed god given right to go where he wants when he wants whilst indulging any and every whim or impulse he may have. This is whilst giving little thought to the consequences to anyone else whether he is a guest in their country or not. It’s being reported that he has the full backing of the Serbian government who also seemingly agree with his stance that waving a tennis racket around with a degree of competence is the primary condition of being able to bypass rules that have been put in place in an attempt to protect the most vulnerable in Australian society. It all seems rather misguided and arrogant to me. But then I am not able to play tennis to the standard of Novak Djokovic, so am clearly not entitled or worthy of the same privileges and entitlement as this sporting superstar.

Don't doubt yourself, Djokovic is most definitely misguided and arrogant Wink
Report Spam   Logged
singcobb

View Profile
Level 6 Avatar Linux User
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2022, 19:56:42 pm »

Anyone may be granted a Visa to enter Australia because it is dependant on the information the individual provides on the application. However, upon arrival the individual needs to satisfy border officials that the statements made on the application are true and can be reasonably proved as accurate. It appears Djokovic and his team were unable to do this. So as a result his Visa has been canceled and he is to be deported subject to an apparent legal appeal.

My understanding is that if he appeals and loses he faces a ten year exclusion from Australia.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2022, 21:46:25 pm »

My understanding is that if he appeals and loses he faces a ten year exclusion from Australia.

If it follows 'Border Security', being deported for an incorrect visa attracts an automatic three year exclusion.
Report Spam   Logged

Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2022, 23:17:39 pm »

If it follows 'Border Security', being deported for an incorrect visa attracts an automatic three year exclusion.
I believe the 3 year exclusion is at the discretion of the ABF. There may be circumstances where it is possible to reduce or avoid any penalties applied such as compassionate or undue hardship grounds. Subject to the provision of robust evidence obviously, we don’t want to be going down this road again do we.
Report Spam   Logged

Peter Frost

View Profile
1000 Posts Second year Anniversary Avatar
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2022, 13:05:29 pm »

In the last year I’ve traveled back to the UK 5 times, mainly for close family health reasons and then the funeral - of course I didn’t like it, but accepted the stress, the very high cost of tests and several periods of quarantine because it was the right thing to do - the assorted behaviours of Johnson’s disgustingly hypocritical team, the pointless blazer wearing EUFA officials coming to the Euro finals and now entitled sportsmen simple reinforces the one rule for you and another for us.
(Oh and before Evers starts, my reference to Johnson is not political but simply pointing out total w@nkers that are laughing at us, but probably even more so to people who continue to defend  them)
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2022, 13:44:57 pm »

In the last year I’ve traveled back to the UK 5 times, mainly for close family health reasons and then the funeral - of course I didn’t like it, but accepted the stress, the very high cost of tests and several periods of quarantine because it was the right thing to do - the assorted behaviours of Johnson’s disgustingly hypocritical team, the pointless blazer wearing EUFA officials coming to the Euro finals and now entitled sportsmen simple reinforces the one rule for you and another for us.
(Oh and before Evers starts, my reference to Johnson is not political but simply pointing out total w@nkers that are laughing at us, but probably even more so to people who continue to defend  them)

My sister chose to remain in Australia for nearly a year rather than go back home to New Zealand after visiting her daughter, who had a new born baby, because she couldn't guarantee getting back into Australia if she left (pre-vaccines). She gave up her job in NZ and got accommodation and a temp job in Australia whilst she was there!
It'd be a major disappointment to a lot of people, who have adhered to the rules, if Djokovic is allowed to stay and play.   
Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2022, 14:52:44 pm »

Well it is; as this is a political non NTFC thread so no fine for you. Personally I think you are a poser exemplified by opportunistic political comments. 
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2022, 16:06:15 pm »

The plot thickens. The general word here is that Tennis Australia mis-informed players that having a Covid 6 months prior to arrival (subject to sufficient proof) were grounds to be granted a visa. However, the Federal Government had previously written to Tennis Australia on 2 occasions to advise this was not the case. Listening to a couple of immigration lawyers here the best guess is that his visa will remain cancelled and he will get deported. However, he will have significant grounds to sue Tennis Australia and that puts the credibility of the whole tournament into question moving forward. If he does manage to get in people here are going to go bonkers, so either way there’s trouble coming it seems. If I were Craig Tiley (head of Tennis Australia) I would be drafting a new copy of my C.V.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 16:14:37 pm by Melbourne Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged

Peter Frost

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2022, 19:56:25 pm »

My sister chose to remain in Australia for nearly a year rather than go back home to New Zealand after visiting her daughter, who had a new born baby, because she couldn't guarantee getting back into Australia if she left (pre-vaccines). She gave up her job in NZ and got accommodation and a temp job in Australia whilst she was there!
It'd be a major disappointment to a lot of people, who have adhered to the rules, if Djokovic is allowed to stay and play.   

Agreed - your example and mine were clearly difficult but I'm also aware there are other much more tragic stories - generally in times of adversity we see the best in human nature but sadly there will always be exceptions.
Report Spam   Logged
guest49

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2022, 21:33:19 pm »

There’s suggestions that his appeal may lead to a delay, meaning he’ll be able to play in the meantime.
I’m sure some lawyers are getting richer.
Report Spam   Logged
Peter Frost

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2022, 07:26:52 am »

The plot thickens. The general word here is that Tennis Australia mis-informed players that having a Covid 6 months prior to arrival (subject to sufficient proof) were grounds to be granted a visa. However, the Federal Government had previously written to Tennis Australia on 2 occasions to advise this was not the case. Listening to a couple of immigration lawyers here the best guess is that his visa will remain cancelled and he will get deported. However, he will have significant grounds to sue Tennis Australia and that puts the credibility of the whole tournament into question moving forward. If he does manage to get in people here are going to go bonkers, so either way there’s trouble coming it seems. If I were Craig Tiley (head of Tennis Australia) I would be drafting a new copy of my C.V.

Interesting and in many cases there are aspects the public don’t know at the time or at all - but if the above case is correct surely Djokovic’s people given they much publicised he was coming in on a medical exemption would have checked with the federal authorities who oversee border control - after all they have considerably more resource to check facts than the average traveling citizen. So still not a lot of sympathy from me.
Report Spam   Logged
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
5000 Posts Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2022, 11:51:34 am »

On the whole, it is human nature to take advantage of the perks and privileges that come with wealth or position. This example has just been elevated to a ridiculous level of attention.
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2022, 15:15:45 pm »

On the whole, it is human nature to take advantage of the perks and privileges that come with wealth or position. This example has just been elevated to a ridiculous level of attention.
I think the attention here is not so much as a result of his celebrity, rather the duplicity of policy that has been suggested regarding Covid restrictions. It has been well publicised that Melbourne is the most locked-down city in the world with extreme totalitarian measures in place that were enforced to “protect” the vulnerable with no exceptions. However, this case suggests that it is perfectly acceptable for certain individuals to bypass this when it suits. Given some of the hardships Melburnians have endured such as being unable to see dying loved ones, it has brought intense scrutiny regarding the government’s handling of this situation. Something which incredibly they seem to have initially failed to anticipate. The feelings are so extreme here I would say there are a number of political futures that may well be decided by the outcome of this saga. I think this is why there is so much attention being applied to it rather than any reference to Djokovics celebrity. Indeed whilst he may be held in high regard in Serbia, speaking to people here his popularity amongst the general population of Australia is somewhat compromised to say the least. I would imagine that if his lawyers don’t have a watertight case tomorrow and it transpires there have been elements of deception regarding Djokovics application or conduct, the levels of attention on this case will go stratospheric in comparison to now. One thing about the Australian government, they tend to be neither understanding or tolerant regarding issues of immigration. Djokovic couldn’t have picked a worse country to trifle with, so he had better know what he is doing. The stakes couldn’t be higher.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 15:19:57 pm by Melbourne Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged

Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2022, 15:26:55 pm »

I think the attention here is not so much as a result of his celebrity, rather the duplicity of policy that has been suggested regarding Covid

My point is that he is no different to the vast majority of entitled sports/celebrity types. Or indeed a lot of well off types.

Of course, it’s not helped by some of the f*ckwits involved…
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2022, 15:41:10 pm »

My point is that he is no different to the vast majority of entitled sports/celebrity types. Or indeed a lot of well off types.

Of course, it’s not helped by some of the f*ckwits involved…
It is a c0ck up of monumental proportions. He is here and shouldn’t be and the Australian public are looking for someone to blame. The Australian Government are going to play every card in the deck and follow that up by chucking in the kitchen sink to ensure it’s Djokovic and he’s held accountable for it. If I was this bloke I would be sweating and if he isn’t, he fcuking well should be.
Report Spam   Logged

Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2022, 19:25:00 pm »

It is a c0ck up of monumental proportions. He is here and shouldn’t be and the Australian public are looking for someone to blame. The Australian Government are going to play every card in the deck and follow that up by chucking in the kitchen sink to ensure it’s Djokovic and he’s held accountable for it. If I was this bloke I would be sweating and if he isn’t, he fcuking well should be.

That’s a fair assessment of it mate.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: