The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 20:21:08 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

The are we going up Thread!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 32   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The are we going up Thread!  (Read 42308 times)
guest3338

Badges: (View All)
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2022, 10:22:50 am »

I personally don't understand this small team big team thing based on history and support. I would take 1000 Suttons, Harrogates etc with a small but passionate fan base over a Chelsea, Man City etc with thousands and thousands of bandwagon jumpers.
I'm not so sure thos clubs have a passionate fan base and they aren't also just jumping on the bandwagon after a little bit of success.
They only have the fans they presently do because atm they are doing well. A better comparison would be Sutton Harrogate etc and established lower league clubs like ourselves.
Can't see Sutton or Harrogate ever having 3k season ticket holders if their fans had to endure decades of largely treading water like we have done.
Their attendances will plummet down to the hundreds once they find their natural level again in non league.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3481

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2022, 10:36:38 am »

I see the point, just dont agree with it. Our attendances and season ticket holders will increase if we become established in L1 or get into the Championship, doesn't (for me) mean those fans are any less important than those of us on here and going every / most weeks now.

My issue I guess is more with fans who become fans only when clubs become rich. So for example Huddersfield, Brighton, Cardiff attendances all will have increased from when they played in the lower leagues with us but I imagine most of the increase will be locals.

As you can guess I live in London and you never used to see a Man City shirt, now they are everywhere, it wont be long im sure until there are loads of Newcastle shirts everywhere. I live near Chelsea so have always seen them  Grin

Like I said though, I see the point, just dont agree with it 
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2022, 10:55:54 am »

I see the point, just dont agree with it. Our attendances and season ticket holders will increase if we become established in L1 or get into the Championship, doesn't (for me) mean those fans are any less important than those of us on here and going every / most weeks now.

My issue I guess is more with fans who become fans only when clubs become rich. So for example Huddersfield, Brighton, Cardiff attendances all will have increased from when they played in the lower leagues with us but I imagine most of the increase will be locals.

As you can guess I live in London and you never used to see a Man City shirt, now they are everywhere, it wont be long im sure until there are loads of Newcastle shirts everywhere. I live near Chelsea so have always seen them  Grin

Like I said though, I see the point, just dont agree with it 
I don't quite get some of your points.
1. Harrogate Town and Sutton Utd certainly have anything but a passionate fanbase - quite the opposite, as alluded to by CJ. Insert Grimsby, Stockport or Wrexham - though the last two are also influenced by finances
2. You lump Huddersfield, Brighton and Cardiff together - are you stating these as examples of loyal fans or bandwagon Prem fans?
Brighton have gone from 6000 (not always selling out Withdean) to a very Prem bandwagon 30,000.
Cardiff also when we used to play them was around the 3,500 mark (2,600 in 87!).
Huddersfield's fanbase has grown - but have always had a fair and passionate local fanbase.

Not sure about a huge difference between those joining the Cobblers should we ever get into the Championship and those climbing onto the Manchester City bandwagon in all honesty, other than the latter will attract the half/half Chinese/Korean brigade...as opposed to some weirdo moose from Worcester!
Report Spam   Logged
guest3481

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2022, 12:22:25 pm »

Honestly I have never been to Harrogate or to Sutton so cannot comment on how passionate they are, but was at the Sutton game at Sixfields and those that attended seemed passionate to me. Passionate does mean lots.

What I meant by those 3 was loyal fans (sort of). I don't see increased attendances for a local team doing well as bandwagon jumping as was suggested about Harrogate and Sutton. I would guess that that majority that attend now they are in the football league are locals. I was saying that the increased attendances for Brighton will mostly be locals fans where as the increase in Man City fans from when we played them in the league will be people that live anywhere but Manchester and like to support a rich and winning team.

In summary... Harrogate & Sutton not embarrassing, Brighton and Cardiff not embarrassing. Chelsea and Man City embarrassing.
As much as I would like to be playing Championship teams I dont find it embarrassing to play anyone. Notts County show that history and loyalty dont mean anything unfortunately.
Report Spam   Logged
Substitute
Pat McGatt

View Profile
Combination Poll Voter Level 3
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2022, 15:23:00 pm »

The great Hove utd are a good example of what is poss. They had a well located and tasty old-skool Goldstone Ground then there greedy numpty owners (property developers!) sold it as housing for some tasty bucks. They got decent crowds there but moved to Withdeen (a right old s***e-hole with nothing to be said for it. Folk didnt want to go there only dieharders. Now they have a good size gaff the proles are back. If only the town didn't have prop developers and a s***e ground we could be kings in our castle. We could breathe fire on our rivals and roger some totty.
Report Spam   Logged

Let's Swell The Facilities
Peter Frost

View Profile
1000 Posts Second year Anniversary Avatar
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2022, 18:16:31 pm »

I personally don't understand this small team big team thing based on history and support. I would take 1000 Suttons, Harrogates etc with a small but passionate fan base over a Chelsea, Man City etc with thousands and thousands of bandwagon jumpers.

Don’t get me wrong - I love clubs like that and certainly would prefer visiting those (my favourite away game years ago was Halifax) - perhaps embarrassing is the wrong word but it’s curious that you have a club like Bradford with a big stadium playing in front of 10 - 15 thousand but find themselves looking up at clubs being watched by 2000.“
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2022, 18:36:54 pm »

Honestly I have never been to Harrogate or to Sutton so cannot comment on how passionate they are, but was at the Sutton game at Sixfields and those that attended seemed passionate to me. Passionate does mean lots.

What I meant by those 3 was loyal fans (sort of). I don't see increased attendances for a local team doing well as bandwagon jumping as was suggested about Harrogate and Sutton. I would guess that that majority that attend now they are in the football league are locals. I was saying that the increased attendances for Brighton will mostly be locals fans where as the increase in Man City fans from when we played them in the league will be people that live anywhere but Manchester and like to support a rich and winning team.

In summary... Harrogate & Sutton not embarrassing, Brighton and Cardiff not embarrassing. Chelsea and Man City embarrassing.
As much as I would like to be playing Championship teams I dont find it embarrassing to play anyone. Notts County show that history and loyalty dont mean anything unfortunately.
It's absolutely true that numbers doesn't always equate to 'passionate'. I'm fairly well placed to comment, as well as travelling all over with the Cobbs, been part of the Oxford City Shed Enders  for years (though haven't managed a game since lockdown - St Albans away hopefully) who as around 15-20, travel with the Hoops putting most clubs (including NTFC) to shame with their repertoire of songs and banter.
Nevertheless, 'passionate fanbase' is something else. Community, city, town driven...Pompey, Sunderland, Stockport and definitely, Hereford. Small city of 40,000 yet regularly get 3000+ in tier 6!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 18:39:22 pm by Coolcat » Report Spam   Logged
Bingers

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day 5000 Posts Avatar
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2022, 18:53:34 pm »

In summary... Chelsea and Man City embarrassing.

That's you, that is Fenners. Glory supporter, nothing more, nothing less. Embarrassing!
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2015
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2022, 19:48:20 pm »

The big game in the division tonight, Forest Green Rovers v Mansfield has been abandoned after just 8 minutes due to "weather problems"......

Sutton, our opponents on Saturday would go above us with a home win over Colchester.....but are surprisingly behind at half time 2-1.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2022, 20:18:25 pm »

The great Hove utd are a good example of what is poss. They had a well located and tasty old-skool Goldstone Ground then there greedy numpty owners (property developers!) sold it as housing for some tasty bucks. They got decent crowds there but moved to Withdeen (a right old s***e-hole with nothing to be said for it. Folk didnt want to go there only dieharders. Now they have a good size gaff the proles are back. If only the town didn't have prop developers and a s***e ground we could be kings in our castle. We could breathe fire on our rivals and roger some totty.

Strange post with property owners coming in for some Corbyn style lefty bashing. Social message here with a nod to our dreamlike ambitions.....breathe fire on our close rivals ...I wish.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Peter Frost

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2022, 20:51:30 pm »

Strange post with property owners coming in for some Corbyn style lefty bashing. Social message here with a nod to our dreamlike ambitions.....breathe fire on our close rivals ...I wish.

I think the summary of the Brighton plight (and recovery) is pretty much spot on but I see the Corbyn obsession from you hasn’t diminished  - are you actually oblivious to your rather silly hypocrisy in once again bringing a political point on a football thread (something you frequently criticise others for)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 21:01:23 pm by Peter Frost » Report Spam   Logged
WadeyCobbler

View Profile
Mobile User Windows User Combination
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2022, 21:22:15 pm »

So we drop to 4th after Sutton's late winner tonight. Vale, on a sticky run, lost which prevented them closing the gap a little.
It's tight but a win on Saturday would be huge.
Report Spam   Logged
Peter Frost

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2022, 21:30:20 pm »

So we drop to 4th after Sutton's late winner tonight. Vale, on a sticky run, lost which prevented them closing the gap a little.
It's tight but a win on Saturday would be huge.

Assuming FGR don’t crash and burn I think the competition for 2nd and 3rd is going to go to the wire - prior to our poor 2022 points tally we looked one of the favourites but hopefully that‘s our bad run over - better now than April - still hopeful of an automatic place.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2022, 23:02:19 pm »

I think the summary of the Brighton plight (and recovery) is pretty much spot on but I see the Corbyn obsession from you hasn’t diminished  - are you actually oblivious to your rather silly hypocrisy in once again bringing a political point on a football thread (something you frequently criticise others for)

Your right; it was hardly a political point but merely an observation.Even so criticism is fair.  Regarding hypocrisy, considering many of your earlier political point scoring messages were just that. Your posts have an air of puritanical naivety in them. If you go to Sutton you can have  a free cup of tea Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Jim Hall Fixit

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary 500 Posts Avatar
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2022, 00:13:44 am »

Your right; it was hardly a political point but merely an observation.Even so criticism is fair.  Regarding hypocrisy, considering many of your earlier political point scoring messages were just that. Your posts have an air of puritanical naivety in them. If you go to Sutton you can have  a free cup of tea Grin

I don’t agree with your politics Evers but I’m sure you are a man of integrity and will pay £5 into a local charity for mentioning politics on a Cobblers thread.
Report Spam   Logged

"My three children were born in Northamptonshire so I like to think I'm an adopted Northamptonian and it's the same for Rico and Sammo. It means a lot to us because this is our county.
guest49

« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2022, 07:36:15 am »

It’ll be an exciting 2nd half of the season with the same points difference between being 2nd or out of the play offs. All to play for.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2022, 08:44:59 am »

I don’t agree with your politics Evers but I’m sure you are a man of integrity and will pay £5 into a local charity for mentioning politics on a Cobblers thread.

I don’t do Politics like you and Frosty. Pay you Saturday!
Report Spam   Logged

west stand oap

View Profile
2500 Posts Apple User Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2022, 11:09:38 am »

We now have 42 points from 25 games, 1.68 points per game which would equate to 77 points at the end of the season, enough for a play off place. We need to get 2 points per game from our remaining 21 games to double our points total to 84 and in 3 of the last 6 seasons 85 points have been needed to secure 3rd place.
So it is a tough ask but we have now played FGR, Sutton and Swindon twice and only have 4 remaining games against the other top 8 teams, Tranmere, Newport County and Exeter at home and Mansfield away who seem to be winning all their games at the moment.
An automatic place is still possible but much will depend on the next 8 days transfer activity.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3481

« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2022, 07:49:15 am »

We now have 42 points from 25 games, 1.68 points per game which would equate to 77 points at the end of the season, enough for a play off place. We need to get 2 points per game from our remaining 21 games to double our points total to 84 and in 3 of the last 6 seasons 85 points have been needed to secure 3rd place.
So it is a tough ask but we have now played FGR, Sutton and Swindon twice and only have 4 remaining games against the other top 8 teams, Tranmere, Newport County and Exeter at home and Mansfield away who seem to be winning all their games at the moment.
An automatic place is still possible but much will depend on the next 8 days transfer activity.
So you're saying there are easier games to come?!
February could be a huge month if we can go on a bit of a run. Pick up some points to hopefully cement a top 3 place but also take points away from a couple of teams just outside the playoffs to hopefully reduce the number of contenders.
But.... we need a striker  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
5000 Posts Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2022, 09:58:10 am »

We’ve just managed a couple of draws against genuine opposition. One of which was in all earnest a win over the top side. I’m not overly convinced that we are going to make it into the automatic spots. But the play offs should be a cert. With what we’ve got, I’d have been more than happy with that at the start of the season..
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 32   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: