The Hotel End
April 20, 2024, 00:52:25 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Home against the Exiles Tuesday 08.02.22

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Home against the Exiles Tuesday 08.02.22  (Read 7760 times)
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Windows User Level 6
« on: February 06, 2022, 16:40:40 pm »

Cobblers in International action this Tuesday night as they take on Newport County AFC.
The Welsh side are the reformed version of the old Newport County which went out of business on 1989. AFC were formed by 400 supporters and started life in the Hellenic League, making their way up through the Southern League, and Conference South and Premier before claiming a place in the Football League in 2013. They have remained in League 2 since that promotion, although they have twice lost in the playoff final, most recently last season.
They currently sit 5th in the table, one place and one point behind us. A four match winning run came to an end this weekend as they went down at runaway leaders Forest Green. They have six away wins in the league this season, Oldham, Tranmere, Bristol Rovers, Hartlepool, Scunny and Leyton Orient have all been beaten. Newport have scored 20 league goals on their travels but have let in 23 at the other end.

The club is managed by James Rowberry. He was one of the youngest people ever to earn a UEFA Pro Licence at the tender age of 29. This is his first managerial role after youth coach stints at both Newport and Cardiff. So far his 19 games have produced nine victories and six defeats.

Dom Telford is the obvious dangerman up front, he's actually scored more goals than he's started games....20 League goals in 19 starts, one other appearance as a sub. Courtney Baker-Richardson alongside him up front has weighed in with 8 league goals himself.

Cobblers hold the upper hand in the h-2-h stakes, with seven wins to the Exiles two. The last three encounters have all been won by The Cobblers including the game earlier this season when a solitary Jon Guthrie goal was enough to give us the three points. The Cobblers have won all five games between the two sides at Sixfields, Newport have only scored one goal in those five games.
Last meeting at Sixfields was in September 2019 as Andy Williams and Sam Hoskins goals secured a 2-0 win in front of 4,616 fans. A game that was notable for Jamille Matt's appearance off the bench and his red card less than half an hour later.

Ben Speedie will officiate, he reffed our EFL Cup win at Coventry early this season, he was also in charge of Newports 3-0 defeat at Salford in August. This will be his first Sixfields experience!
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/07, 2007/08, 2011/12, 2012/13, 2018/19 and 2023/24

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

west stand oap

View Profile
Level 5 Fifth year Anniversary 2500 Posts
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2022, 11:51:44 am »

Taking into account our total history with Newport we have a remarkably good 70% home win record from the 46 games. 32 wins, 5 draws and 9 defeats and there is a huge difference in the goals tally with 105 scored and 45 conceded so some big wins in there.
Newport are 3rd in the away points table with 23 (we have 22), only FGR 30 and Swindon 27 have more. They have scored in all but 3 of their 16 away games but only scored more than once 5 times. They have kept 4 clean sheets but conceded 2 or more goals on 8 occasions, half of the games.
As GPC says Telford has been prolific which is in complete contrast to his scoring record before he joined them which was a goal every 8 games, 13 goals from 106 games.
Selection questions to be answered, 1. Will we again play 3 central defenders? ( I imagine we will at Port Vale), 2. Will Sam have to play right back? and who takes his place supporting Appere?, 3. Will Sowerby's injury keep him out? 4. Can McWilliams avoid another yellow in the next 4 games to avoid a 2 match suspension?.
A number of the other promotion contenders appear to have winnable games so 3 points would be most welcome before we head to Port Vale.
Report Spam   Logged
west stand oap

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2022, 18:10:51 pm »

We would all probably better off staying at home tomorrow night as on the Newport site Phil reckons they are going to win 4-0.
Report Spam   Logged
lordjord

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2022, 18:48:55 pm »

Assume Newport will line up with a back 3 and think we will end up matching them. If so it will be interesting to see if Hoskins ends up at RWB with Mcgowan likely out. Lewis is going to have to drop into the midfield 2 with Sowerby out, although he was actually pretty effective when he came on Saturday.

Hopefully see Lubala's minutes continue to increase, wonder how long it will be before he gets 60 mins with a start.

Anyways, im going with a tense 1-1.
Report Spam   Logged
Dr Feelgood

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2022, 04:19:41 am »

Going for a 0-1 loss Appere OG 96th min
Report Spam   Logged

For goodness sake Doc we are NOT going down  Grin   you heard it here 1st  Wink

(I damn well hope that does not come back to haunt me)
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2022, 06:58:57 am »

I’m going for a 0-1 defeat, Roberts gets sent off, Maxted is injured eating a pie in the warm up and therefore Super Sam goes in goal and gets beaten in the 98th min with a audacious chip form the halfway line.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2022, 07:11:16 am »

I’m going for a 0-1 defeat, Roberts gets sent off, Maxted is injured eating a pie in the warm up and therefore Super Sam goes in goal and gets beaten in the 98th min with a audacious chip form the halfway line.

Sounds like tonight is the night where Sammy fulfils the prophecy and finally plays in every single position on the pitch for us!

I'm now out of quarantine so will be in attendance, which would normally mean I'd expect a loss, however tonight my daughter is coming with me and in the 7 or 8 games she's attended she's only ever seen us win!!!
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2022, 07:21:14 am »

Sounds like tonight is the night where Sammy fulfils the prophecy and finally plays in every single position on the pitch for us!

I'm now out of quarantine so will be in attendance, which would normally mean I'd expect a loss, however tonight my daughter is coming with me and in the 7 or 8 games she's attended she's only ever seen us win!!!
Glad to see you fit agin 👍
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
guest49

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2022, 07:35:02 am »

Kids bring luck. My daughter went to 15 games (home and away) and we won 14 of them. The last one was the the final day 3 v 1 against Oxford to secure survival and she is immortalised on the montage wall. Her only defeat the Wembley defeat the year before. Like so many she just grew out of it despite her viewing success, although I'm surprised she went again after Wembley.

Report Spam   Logged
guest3481

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2022, 08:12:07 am »

Assume Newport will line up with a back 3 and think we will end up matching them. If so it will be interesting to see if Hoskins ends up at RWB with Mcgowan likely out. Lewis is going to have to drop into the midfield 2 with Sowerby out, although he was actually pretty effective when he came on Saturday.

Hopefully see Lubala's minutes continue to increase, wonder how long it will be before he gets 60 mins with a start.

Anyways, im going with a tense 1-1.
Agree, cant see McGowan or Sowerby playing tonight. Hopefully neither are long term as fairly sure we wont have McWilliams for the Port Vale or Colchester games either as only 1 yellow away from a 2 game ban.
Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2022, 08:40:29 am »

Glad to see you fit agin 👍

Cheers, mate!
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2022, 11:14:31 am »

Kids bring luck. My daughter went to 15 games (home and away) and we won 14 of them. The last one was the the final day 3 v 1 against Oxford to secure survival and she is immortalised on the montage wall. Her only defeat the Wembley defeat the year before. Like so many she just grew out of it despite her viewing success, although I'm surprised she went again after Wembley.

Sorry mate that’s nonsense. I did the school run last week and Barrow scored within 5 minutes of getting them in the car. I’m on the school run tomorrow, you have been warned.
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2022, 11:27:23 am »

Sorry mate that’s nonsense. I did the school run last week and Barrow scored within 5 minutes of getting them in the car. I’m on the school run tomorrow, you have been warned.

Beg your pardon Lord Melbourne but not quite sure how Cobblertone's reminiscing on daughters attendance actually coincides with you participating in a school run which as it happens affected the Barrow the result. Just commenting on....mind Cool
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
west stand oap

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2022, 11:33:54 am »

I think we will win tonight to complete our first double of the season and set us up nicely for Port Vale.
Report Spam   Logged
guest49

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2022, 13:20:03 pm »

Thankfully all the unlucky kids live in a different time zone.  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
guest3063

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2022, 14:45:00 pm »

Where's Phil in Northampton? I would have thought he would have paid this forum a visit by now. Hopefully he'll be as quiet after the game as he is now  Evil
Report Spam   Logged
phil_in_npton

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Combination
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2022, 17:36:38 pm »

Good Evening!
Don’t worry I’m here, respectfully observing from a distance. You won’t get any histrionics from me…
We all go to the game with hope and expectations high. Barring a draw some will be disappointed after. It’s usually me so I’m quite used to that!

Enjoy the game, lose this one but get promoted… there … a happy solution for all concerned!

Phil in Northampton
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2022, 17:52:01 pm »

That’s an attacking line up .
Could be goals on either side here tonight
Report Spam   Logged
Mysterious Curle

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Third year Anniversary
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2022, 19:13:30 pm »

Crikey Maglorie is terrible with the ball at his feet!

Report Spam   Logged
Dr Feelgood

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2022, 19:17:57 pm »

Not looking too good. Pinny booked and Robbo making a couple of saves to keep it 0-0
Im starting to get a horrible feeling here.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 19:20:38 pm by Dr Feelgood » Report Spam   Logged

For goodness sake Doc we are NOT going down  Grin   you heard it here 1st  Wink

(I damn well hope that does not come back to haunt me)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: