The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 23:22:19 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Mansfield away 2nd April

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mansfield away 2nd April  (Read 9510 times)
Shoemender

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Second year Anniversary
« Reply #120 on: April 03, 2022, 12:54:12 pm »

No, I didn't notice Lewis go off either!  Grin

As for the Mansfield fans being more animated particularly in the upper tier no in particular about it - they were the ONLY ones singing, drum assisted for those in particular without the blessing of spontaneity and originality.
The rest of the stand, behind the goal were statues...at least the North Stand sometimes adds to the atmosphere at Sixfields.
Their third side of the ground is worse than our East Stand too...Beds!  Wink

I meant before he was sent off. As I said, we probably came to life a bit more after he was sent off.

Mansfield fans were still a lot louder and more animated than us and the other end joined in at times.

Despite their derelict stand being worse than our east stand, their capacity is still well over 1000 more than ours. Cool
Report Spam   Logged
Clarity

View Profile
1000 Posts Fifth year Anniversary Search
« Reply #121 on: April 03, 2022, 13:10:02 pm »

Hugely disappointing performance yesterday. Mansfield were superior to us all over the pitch and I guess that most of us saw what we felt most likely was going to happen beforehand...

Since the turn of the year I have witnessed watching one of the most BORING Cobblers teams I've seen. At times its effective but as many others have observed, its really down to us having a brilliant goal keeper. With Cornell or Mitchell or Arnold in goal this season, I suspect we'd be comfortably in the bottom half. Roberts has really highlighted the importance of having a good keeper...and why a disproportionate amount of the playing budget should always be invested in that area. Whatever he's on, Id double it...and forgo a player elsewhere in the squad next season to pay for it.

I've still seen no justification as to why Pollock was recalled, he's yet to get a single minute of time on the pitch and this despite two hugely turgid performances out of three since he came back from Boston. Hugely frustrating. Surely he has to play now that Mr Invisible will be unavailable next week? Its been time for weeks upon week to try something different, but our management team continue to keep faith with the same tactics and a lone striker who is left completely isolated up top.

Whatever happens, I don't want us to qualify for the playoffs. Negative? Well let me explain. Next season starts about 8 weeks after the play off final (July29th). The teams who make the play off finals will be at a huge disadvantage in the transfer market, because for 3 or 4 weeks they will not know which players to target due to not knowing what league they are going to be in. All the decent ones will be mopped up or in advanced talks, leaving the Wembley finalists trying to play catch up. During the covid season, I think all 3 playoff winners were immediately relegated. We would be far better off finishing 8th and getting on with the job of rebuilding straight away, than finishing 4th,5th, 6th or 7th...
He won’t be with us next year.. deal already done with a league 1 side (currently)
Information from a reliable source
« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 13:43:06 pm by Clarity » Report Spam   Logged
Ragdoll Cobbler

View Profile
Linux User Level 5 1000 Posts
« Reply #122 on: April 03, 2022, 13:24:54 pm »

He won’t be with us next year.. deal already done with a league 1 side (currently)

I still can't get my head round the fact we actually paid a fee for him, yet only signed him on a one year deal, with no apparent option to extend his contract in the clubs favour!
Report Spam   Logged
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
5000 Posts Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #123 on: April 03, 2022, 21:00:04 pm »

Eppiah for me has to start the next game

Without a doubt. In a totally dismal day, he was the one ray of hope.
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #124 on: April 03, 2022, 21:10:58 pm »

If you have a player who is performing exceptionally well in Div 2 you will struggle to hang onto them. That’s true at all levels bar a handful of teams, but more so down here. You need an effective conveyor belt with realistic targets continually being identified. Think about the standard of recruitment that went into our most successful sides, not a particularly weak link anywhere really. Didn’t keep any of them for any length of time though did we (Hoskins apart)? It’s the way it is.
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
guest2995

« Reply #125 on: April 04, 2022, 06:20:50 am »

If you have a player who is performing exceptionally well in Div 2 you will struggle to hang onto them. That’s true at all levels bar a handful of teams, but more so down here. You need an effective conveyor belt with realistic targets continually being identified. Think about the standard of recruitment that went into our most successful sides, not a particularly weak link anywhere really. Didn’t keep any of them for any length of time though did we (Hoskins apart)? It’s the way it is.

To be fair to the management team - they did discover a centre forward and he went in January because he was too good .
They also discovered a keeper that is also going to leave and our best centre half probably won’t hang around unless his current run of form continues .
We also discovered a left back Wycombe offered £100k for so it hasn’t been too bad .
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #126 on: April 04, 2022, 06:28:18 am »

To be fair to the management team - they did discover a centre forward and he went in January because he was too good .
They also discovered a keeper that is also going to leave and our best centre half probably won’t hang around unless his current run of form continues .
We also discovered a left back Wycombe offered £100k for so it hasn’t been too bad .
I agree mate, I think in the main its been top draw since the new lot took over. One or two exceptions aside obviously, but everyone has that.
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
guest49

« Reply #127 on: April 04, 2022, 08:41:48 am »

I wouldn't worry about Etete. He has been at Spurs most of the time since he left us. I'd say with our track record there's a very good chance we would have put him on the treatment table too!
Report Spam   Logged
EB Claret

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts
« Reply #128 on: April 04, 2022, 11:26:27 am »

I wouldn't worry about Etete. He has been at Spurs most of the time since he left us. I'd say with our track record there's a very good chance we would have put him on the treatment table too!

On the other hand if he'd stayed with us he might have stayed fit, have 15 goals to his name alongside Appere, himself on a goal a game since his arrival and we'd be top of the league. Who knows?
There is always a bit of luck involved with players settling in and with injuries. All teams have problems during a season but when things happen, can have an effect on the outcome. In the first part of the season we had a settled team with Etete as a focal point and won 8 out of 10 just before Covid hit and Etete left.
Mansfield had a host of injuries early season and looked a clueless rabble when they came to Sixfields in October. Since they've got players back fit they have stormed up the table. They also signed players in January who hit the ground running whereas we signed players who struggled for form and fitness.
Does luck even itself out over a season? I've never thought so.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #129 on: April 04, 2022, 11:31:59 am »

On the other hand if he'd stayed with us he might have stayed fit, have 15 goals to his name alongside Appere, himself on a goal a game since his arrival and we'd be top of the league. Who knows?
There is always a bit of luck involved with players settling in and with injuries. All teams have problems during a season but when things happen, can have an effect on the outcome. In the first part of the season we had a settled team with Etete as a focal point and won 8 out of 10 just before Covid hit and Etete left.
Mansfield had a host of injuries early season and looked a clueless rabble when they came to Sixfields in October. Since they've got players back fit they have stormed up the table. They also signed players in January who hit the ground running whereas we signed players who struggled for form and fitness.
Does luck even itself out over a season? I've never thought so.

And Mansfield have Nigel Clough.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
CobblerForever

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 04, 2022, 12:03:38 pm »

To lighten the tone a bit. Kabamba is now a regular Sub at Woking and has still only scored 1 in 13. We did well to find him somewhere else to play (and pay for him presumably).

I would now be surprised if we got in the playoffs and staggered if we got automatic promotion. I'm thinking of next season in L2 and what we do to keep the guys in contract motivated to be the core of our new team. I expect Roberts, Horsfall and Kioki to leave and McWilliams to resign (very good at our level but two significant injuries - one current - holding him back).

I'd prefer loans to journeymen duds anytime.

Brackley now in poll position for automatic promotion to the National League (the Gateshead win may turn out to be crucial - those two way ahead in the table). Perhaps they could share Sixfields next season for their big games!
Report Spam   Logged
Substitute
Pat McGatt

View Profile
Combination Poll Voter Level 3
« Reply #131 on: April 04, 2022, 13:45:34 pm »

To lighten the tone a bit. Kabamba is now a regular Sub at Woking and has still only scored 1 in 13. We did well to find him somewhere else to play (and pay for him presumably).

I would now be surprised if we got in the playoffs and staggered if we got automatic promotion. I'm thinking of next season in L2 and what we do to keep the guys in contract motivated to be the core of our new team. I expect Roberts, Horsfall and Kioki to leave and McWilliams to resign (very good at our level but two significant injuries - one current - holding him back).

I'd prefer loans to journeymen duds anytime.

Brackley now in poll position for automatic promotion to the National League (the Gateshead win may turn out to be crucial - those two way ahead in the table). Perhaps they could share Sixfields next season for their big games!

Maybe they will let us use St James Park whilst our ground is undergoing the huge refurbishment.
Report Spam   Logged

Let's Swell The Facilities
Carton Lid

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #132 on: April 04, 2022, 15:39:32 pm »

As I've posted elsewhere, it amazes me that even if we are losing a game with a few minutes to go, we don't send either Guthrie or Horsfall up front to try to get on the end of the high balls we put in to a forward line that doesn't win any headers.  It always worked back in the last century  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
CobblerForever

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 04, 2022, 16:05:07 pm »

As I've posted elsewhere, it amazes me that even if we are losing a game with a few minutes to go, we don't send either Guthrie or Horsfall up front to try to get on the end of the high balls we put in to a forward line that doesn't win any headers.  It always worked back in the last century  Smiley

Like Kelvin Langmead in the last ten years.
Report Spam   Logged
northamptonnewbie

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Level 3 Search
« Reply #134 on: April 06, 2022, 19:58:25 pm »

Maybe they will let us use St James Park whilst our ground is undergoing the huge refurbishment.

Cobblers & Saints  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: