The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 20:08:06 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Barrow (a) - 7 May 2022

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 22   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Barrow (a) - 7 May 2022  (Read 29720 times)
Tabasco Kid

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
5000 Posts Spammer 25 Posts in one day Seventh year Anniversary
« Reply #140 on: May 04, 2022, 15:01:12 pm »

Bayo could have broken some records if he’d seen his career out with us. He’s not done bad for a big lad.
He could have broken some records if he stuck to concentrating on football training, instead of gym work. I have worked with body builders in the past, and theyre all the same. Tins of Pilchards and bunch of bananas for breakfast, along with unlimited chicken and pasta every two hours. And unlimited preening in front of the mirror, muttering "just a bit more". I was a big fan of Bayo first time around, that night away at Bolton when he left the pitch to a standing ovation, and a white bandage wrapped around his head, and a chorus of "theres only one pint of Guinness" was superb. He could probably have played for an Allardyce team.
Second time around, too focused on media work, book signings etc.. and a bit more gym work, instead of his football. Shame really.
Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #141 on: May 04, 2022, 15:16:18 pm »

He could have broken some records if he stuck to concentrating on football training, instead of gym work. I have worked with body builders in the past, and theyre all the same. Tins of Pilchards and bunch of bananas for breakfast, along with unlimited chicken and pasta every two hours. And unlimited preening in front of the mirror, muttering "just a bit more". I was a big fan of Bayo first time around, that night away at Bolton when he left the pitch to a standing ovation, and a white bandage wrapped around his head, and a chorus of "theres only one pint of Guinness" was superb. He could probably have played for an Allardyce team.
Second time around, too focused on media work, book signings etc.. and a bit more gym work, instead of his football. Shame really.

Bayo is great player but you do need to accommodate for this limitations, I feel we didn’t do that second time round which is why he wasn’t quite as good although for me still decent. I doubt he stopped the gym and off the field activities after he left us but still achieved great success.
Report Spam   Logged
Larry

View Profile
Search Fourth year Anniversary Mobile User
« Reply #142 on: May 04, 2022, 15:16:38 pm »

Not sure that's right Larry.

Platt 5 goals in 37 apps
Bayo 16 goals in 41 apps

Bayo scored in the semi-final and was dropped in the final for Platt who by his own admission was still injured.

That's not the point.
Bayo is, or was, impossible to manage. He regularly missed team training preferring to build his body in the gym claiming various injuries. Ainsworth must be so relieved he's left Wycombe.
He was told not to do media prior to the final but made an appearance on tv. Boothroyd did the right thing by the team and dropped him for that. Bradford scored 3 goals in 15 or so minutes mainly because they has already experienced Wembley early that season so didn't need to get used to the environment. We didn't let in three goals because Bayo was not on the pitch. He came on in the second half and did squat.
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #143 on: May 04, 2022, 15:32:55 pm »

Ainsworth must be so relieved he's left Wycombe.

Really? that’s why he kept him there 6 years till he was 39 years old. Surely would have got shot of him much earlier if he was unmanageable
Report Spam   Logged
guest49

« Reply #144 on: May 04, 2022, 15:41:51 pm »

The point was he is our 12th all time top scorer and if you added the goals he’s scored since he’d be our all time top scorer by some distance. Instead he holds that honour for Wycombe. As it is he remains the top scorer in the majority of our lifetimes, plus made a valuable contribution to KFC. Unsurprisingly for such a character he divided opinion.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3063

« Reply #145 on: May 04, 2022, 15:54:44 pm »

Sorry but I thought this was the Barrow match thread, not the Bayo appreciation thread.

Back to matters Barrow, I notice Nigel Clough is suggesting we aren't favourites to go up but Bristol Rovers are. Mind games have started, I'm just glad JB doesn't involve himself in these type of things. Next up will be that twat Joey Barton, he'll probably have plenty to say on the subject.

I just hope whoever ends up getting promoted its not them, and hopefully they fail in the play-offs also. Not that I'm bitter  Angry
Report Spam   Logged
The 12th Marquis of Sixfields
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
Search Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #146 on: May 04, 2022, 16:09:29 pm »

mainly because they has already experienced Wembley early that season so didn't need to get used to the environment.
this'll be why the fa cup final is always 3-3 by half time these days
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2023
guest3338

« Reply #147 on: May 04, 2022, 16:42:13 pm »

Exactly and it's obvious our management team don't favour him. His mind must be on the future elsewhere as well.

Perhaps he'll pair up Zimba with Appere, move Eppiah to the Sam H forward thinking position and move Sam back to Right Back with a few days to ensure everyone knows what they are doing.

Kanu has done nothing to impress me and Mills always looks a weak link (though our management team clearly think he's viable).

I'm also assuming we need to get goals and the sooner the better.
Harriman got parachuted in for the playoffs final 2 seasons ago and did a very good job after not getting a sniff for ages before that.  He's a 29 year old pro footballer, I'd play him in his favoured position when McGowan isn't fit everytime. He might not be the quickest but he'll have Hoskins ahead of him running around like a blue arsed fly all game.
Report Spam   Logged
guest49

« Reply #148 on: May 04, 2022, 16:54:59 pm »

Sorry but I thought this was the Barrow match thread, not the Bayo appreciation thread.

Don’t start picking the bones out of the redevelopment FFS  Grin

Let’s make sure our beastmode is on at Barrow  Tongue
Report Spam   Logged
Larry

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 04, 2022, 17:41:08 pm »

this'll be why the fa cup final is always 3-3 by half time these days
Using the template of a L2 final with one of the teams having recently played in a League Cup final at Wembley then 3-0 would be the expected score at halftime
Report Spam   Logged
Larry

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: May 04, 2022, 17:44:59 pm »

Don’t ever go on Twitter, it’s all over the place
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #151 on: May 04, 2022, 20:22:22 pm »

Still not too bad even second time around and for a few years did ok for AFC and WW.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Peter Frost

View Profile
1000 Posts Second year Anniversary Avatar
« Reply #152 on: May 04, 2022, 20:43:30 pm »

That's not the point.
Bayo is, or was, impossible to manage. He regularly missed team training preferring to build his body in the gym claiming various injuries. Ainsworth must be so relieved he's left Wycombe.
He was told not to do media prior to the final but made an appearance on tv. Boothroyd did the right thing by the team and dropped him for that. Bradford scored 3 goals in 15 or so minutes mainly because they has already experienced Wembley early that season so didn't need to get used to the environment. We didn't let in three goals because Bayo was not on the pitch. He came on in the second half and did squat.

Of course it’s the point - yes Bayo was pushing it doing media stuff but remember there was a long history of clashes of egos here (and I agree the man was a nightmare to manage)  but AB had a duty to 20,000 plus fans to play his strongest team and not to win his own ego battle -  surely if he was a man of principle Bayo should have been dropped completely but my main point was Platty was so unmatch fit his selection was a complete joke - the man hadn’t trained properly for 7 weeks! Remember also there were also other team selections/omissions more to do with egos than ability.
As for your theory as to why Bradford went three nil up well that’s exactly what it was - a theory. My theory was we started with a weakened team which effected both the crowd and the other  players. It’s also a lasting legacy - the consequences of that game will take at least 5000 of the gate if and when we return to Wembley again
Report Spam   Logged
Larry

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 04, 2022, 20:53:17 pm »

Of course it’s the point - yes Bayo was pushing it doing media stuff but remember there was a long history of clashes of egos here (and I agree the man was a nightmare to manage)  but AB had a duty to 20,000 plus fans to play his strongest team and not to win his own ego battle -  surely if he was a man of principle Bayo should have been dropped completely but my main point was Platty was so unmatch fit his selection was a complete joke - the man hadn’t trained properly for 7 weeks! Remember also there were also other team selections/omissions more to do with egos than ability.
As for your theory as to why Bradford went three nil up well that’s exactly what it was - a theory. My theory was we started with a weakened team which effected both the crowd and the other  players. It’s also a lasting legacy - the consequences of that game will take at least 5000 of the gate if and when we return to Wembley again

So we let 3 goals in the first 15 minutes because Platt was the striker rather than Bayo?
Report Spam   Logged
Tabasco Kid

View Profile
5000 Posts Spammer 25 Posts in one day Seventh year Anniversary
« Reply #154 on: May 04, 2022, 21:26:33 pm »

That's not the point.
Bayo is, or was, impossible to manage. He regularly missed team training preferring to build his body in the gym claiming various injuries.
A few years back, having the day off, I was walking my partners rottweiler around Abington Park. The team were there (pre season training) and were getting set for a team jog around the park. Off they went en mass, apart from one, who was on a mountain bike. And very uncomfortable on it as well. It was painful to watch. Me and Bruno, stood around watching, I dont recall seeing someone who was so adverse to basic fitness training.

Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
Peter Frost

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 04, 2022, 21:28:13 pm »

So we let 3 goals in the first 15 minutes because Platt was the striker rather than Bayo?

Starting a embarrassingly weak team because the manager wants to win an ego battle has huge ramifications on both the crowd and other players on occasions like that so yes quite possibly.
Report Spam   Logged
Peter Frost

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 05, 2022, 06:52:43 am »

Just looking at some of the outrage at Nigel Clough‘s comments I think they are over the top (although being the slight underdog is no bad thing) - all he is saying is the gas have an easier game than us and I don’t see how anyone can disagree- any neutral would say on form we are more likely to drop points than them - I’m as nervous as hell even for the 6 goals plus scenario but still think we can do it - have to believe!
Report Spam   Logged
Clarity

View Profile
1000 Posts Fifth year Anniversary Search
« Reply #157 on: May 05, 2022, 08:01:37 am »

I think you might have had too much wine on those days.
Thanks for pointing that out, think I'm losing it! I meant to say set up the goal for Luke Guttridge
Report Spam   Logged
guest3481

« Reply #158 on: May 05, 2022, 08:04:21 am »

Barrow wont be a push over either.
They beat FGR recently and only narrowly lost to Swindon, Exeter, and Vale, and beat Sutton.
We're going to have to be on it and the start is going to be key. If we go behind the players might panic, but if we can get an early goal or 2 Barrow's focus might switch to the beach (hopefully)
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #159 on: May 05, 2022, 08:14:45 am »

Here it is in a nutshell.
At the start of the season if someone had said we have to beat Barrow away in a one off game to get promotion we would have ripped their arm off.
Barrow are in the bottom 4 for a reason.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 22   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: