The Hotel End
April 16, 2024, 20:02:44 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Grounds Visited

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grounds Visited  (Read 6140 times)
Shoemender

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Second year Anniversary
« Reply #120 on: April 26, 2022, 11:33:51 am »

What did the VS stand for in VS Rugby? One of the unique team names pre-fix/suffix.

Valley Sports. Maybe a sport equipment manufacturer who sponsored them?
Report Spam   Logged
WadeyCobbler

View Profile
Mobile User Windows User Combination
« Reply #121 on: April 26, 2022, 11:52:41 am »

Valley Sports. Maybe a sport equipment manufacturer who sponsored them?

Thanks. Would never have guessed that!
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #122 on: April 26, 2022, 12:01:00 pm »

Did not the late but great Terry Branston came from Rugby (Town?), back in the early 60's , My understanding was that he impressed in a game against the Cobblers and was signed up. By the way how can you blokes go on about Rugby FC and not mention Terry; shame on you Bingers, CJ and Manny. Always remember Terry playing against Orient* on a mud bath of a pitch. Orient were then an established 2nd Div Side with a centre forward called Bolland who was destined for Norwich or Spurs. Terry gave him (Bolland) an introductory tackle and can still remember to this day the dull slap of Bolland hitting the deep deepest mud of Brisbane Rd! It finished 0-0. The other endearing sight was the line of Cobblers Buses leaving the ground, I counted up to 11 coaches and then gave up as we turned a corner being with my father on the second coach. Lived in London in a flat with 3 other lay-abouts and welcome the prospect of a few decent home cooked meals.

* That 4-1 victory at Orient as far as I am concerned is dedicated to Terry!
I knew Terry and had many conversations with him about the mighty Cobbs.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
guest3338

« Reply #123 on: April 26, 2022, 12:01:46 pm »

What did the VS stand for in VS Rugby? One of the unique team names pre-fix/suffix.
It did stand for Valley Sports but wasn't down to any sponsorship. There's an area of Rugby colloquially know as Happy Valley (New Bilton) and I believe the club has its roots there.  May have been part of a multi sports club as well but I can't be certain of that.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #124 on: April 27, 2022, 09:42:50 am »

I suppose its because I never saw him play, largely on account of not being born until 1970. And not going to a game until 1987. I thought we shouldn't comment unless we were actually there.

Comment as much as you like Yorkie but you will lack the moral integrity of Boris going to a party along with Sunack. I have it on good authority that Boris is a Cobbler😵‍💫. That Angela is a Bradford supporter😇
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
WadeyCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 27, 2022, 11:26:54 am »

Somebody mentioned Scarborough, that was another I forgot.
 A couple of grounds that no spring chickens have seen the Cobblers play at, I went to Old Trafford and White Hart Lane in 65/66 plus a couple of others that we have played at since that year.

Went to Scarborough's McCain Stadium once, the Theatre of Chips they called it. Tony Adcock scored in I think a 2-1 defeat. They are Scarborough Athletic now and just had a record crowd at the new Flamingo Land Stadium last night of 2,600 and are one Play-Off final away from promotion to the National League North.
Report Spam   Logged
Shoemender

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 27, 2022, 11:44:24 am »

Went to Scarborough's McCain Stadium once,the Theatre of Chips they called it. Tony Adcock scored in I think a 2-1 defeat. They are Scarborough Athletic now and just had a record crowd at the new Flamingo Land Stadium last night of 2,600 and are one Play-Off final away from promotion to the National League North.

Me too. Managed to park right outside the away end opposite the turnstiles. Must have been around 1996.
Report Spam   Logged
Shoemender

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 27, 2022, 11:52:25 am »

Terry Branston was actually born in Rugby, there is reference to him playing for Rugby after he had played for us, not before.....joined us as an amateur in 1958.
From our official site....
BRANSTON, Terry
Northampton Town were saddened to learn of the passing of former player Terry Branston in December 2010. Terry joined the Cobblers as an amateur in October 1958 and took part in the Thursday afternoon full practice matches by telling his Rugby based employers that he had an ongoing appointment at Northampton General Hospital for an ear infection! His Northampton debut came in the 3-3 draw at London Road v Peterborough United in October 1960 and by the beginning of the next season he had made a first team spot his own. He was the club's regular centre half as the club rose from Divisions Four to One, one of the few players who managed the feat with the same club. When the Cobblers fell back to Division Three, Terry joined Luton after playing 271 competitive games and scoring two goals. At Kenilworth Road his magic worked again and he helped his new club from Division Four to Division Two amassing 118 games and scoring ten goals. In 1970 he joined Lincoln City and in three years with the Imps he saw the club just miss out on promotion to Division Three, preventing him from achieving a personal hat trick of promotions. Terry wound down his career with non league sides Kings Lynn, Nuneaton, Long Eaton, Enderby, and V.S. Rugby where he was manager. He also took up refereeing when finished with management. During his playing days he started a driving school and taught many of his playing colleagues to drive as well as other well known locals like cricketing legend Colin Milburn. Terry was one of the few ex players who became a season ticket holder at the club. We send our thoughts and condolences to Terry's friends and family.

I remember a testimonial at The County Ground against Leicester City in the early to mid seventies which I think, was for Terry Branston. Still got the program somewher. Why Leicester, I don't know.
We also played Liverpool in a friendly a few years later, must have been for Phil Neal. Do we still have testimonials? Don't remember many since.

Report Spam   Logged
guest3481

« Reply #128 on: April 27, 2022, 12:16:27 pm »

I remember a testimonial at The County Ground against Leicester City in the early to mid seventies which I think, was for Terry Branston. Still got the program somewher. Why Leicester, I don't know.
We also played Liverpool in a friendly a few years later, must have been for Phil Neal. Do we still have testimonials? Don't remember many since.

Woodman 2007 (?) vs West Ham, Sammo 2004 v R&D.
There was also one 1999/2000 at a guess, Welch, Hodge are the main players I can remember but was against a 'legends' team and Eddie McGoldrick played.
Report Spam   Logged
EB Claret

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts
« Reply #129 on: April 27, 2022, 14:21:55 pm »

Me too. Managed to park right outside the away end opposite the turnstiles. Must have been around 1996.

Two grounds I managed to park right outside were Macclesfield and Kidderminster.

Strangest parking space ever was at Leicester. My mate drove us there in his wife's Vauxhall Cavalier to see the FA Cup game at Filbert Street. We circled the ground looking for parking until he spotted a Vauxhall dealership, turned in and parked on the end of the row of used cars for sale! After the game it was still there and disappointingly they'd had no decent offers for it Sad
Report Spam   Logged
Tabasco Kid

View Profile
5000 Posts Spammer 25 Posts in one day Seventh year Anniversary
« Reply #130 on: April 27, 2022, 16:31:43 pm »

Two grounds I managed to park right outside were Macclesfield and Kidderminster.

Strangest parking space ever was at Leicester. My mate drove us there in his wife's Vauxhall Cavalier to see the FA Cup game at Filbert Street. We circled the ground looking for parking until he spotted a Vauxhall dealership, turned in and parked on the end of the row of used cars for sale! After the game it was still there and disappointingly they'd had no decent offers for it Sad
Theres a VW dealer just south of Croydon, that charges customers ninety quid just to park on the forecourt.  Shocked
Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
macca1959

View Profile
Level 5 Search Combination
« Reply #131 on: April 27, 2022, 16:45:00 pm »

I remember going to a testimonial against Leicester in the early to mid seventies, I’m sure that one was for john clarke
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #132 on: April 27, 2022, 18:13:52 pm »

I remember and went to this one...1986.......I have the programme too!

https://www.footballprogrammes.net/football-testimonial-benefit-c-95/terry-branston-testimonial-northampton-town-1986-multi-signed-p-36068.html
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/07, 2007/08, 2011/12, 2012/13, 2018/19 and 2023/24
guest168

« Reply #133 on: April 27, 2022, 19:02:49 pm »

Think the Liverpool (and Arsenal too) were for Dave Bowen

I was also at both the Scarborough and VS Rugby games (my first away game without my dad too  Smiley)
Report Spam   Logged
guest168

« Reply #134 on: April 27, 2022, 19:08:02 pm »

Chester away 5-0 win 1st game of the season 1987 was pretty good too
Report Spam   Logged
Shoemender

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: April 27, 2022, 19:10:31 pm »

Cheers GPC. My memories getting  worse. The Leicester one must have been John Clarke as Macca said. Don't remember the Luton one but it makes more sense.
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #136 on: April 27, 2022, 20:40:11 pm »

Was at that. Took a couple of Leicester fans (lived there then) stopping off rather strangely at the North Star in Kingsthorpe on the way back.
Also strangely, only around 800 at the County Ground that night!
Report Spam   Logged
WadeyCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 27, 2022, 21:30:03 pm »

My first away game that was at the old Sealand Road. Next one was Walsall's old Fellows Park. Away end had the railway line behind it. Fred Barber in goal for Walsall. Just remember him getting loads of stick.
Report Spam   Logged
Shoemender

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 28, 2022, 06:14:49 am »

Wasn't it 5-0 at half time and there was a coachload who didn't get there until half time and missed all the goals!!
Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #139 on: April 28, 2022, 08:36:27 am »

My first away game was Chesterfield the year of the running battle in the streets and the pitch invasion at half time - I wondered what the hell was going on!
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: