The Hotel End
April 20, 2024, 06:06:42 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Can I just say...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can I just say...  (Read 13044 times)
Substitute
Pat McGatt

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Combination Poll Voter Level 3
« Reply #80 on: May 09, 2022, 12:54:46 pm »

Just reading that the only time Bristol were in top 3 was on Saturday. Weirdly reminded me of 2013/14 season when we spent most of the season in bottom 2 only to survive on the last day with the team relegated only being in the bottom 2 on the last day. The team... Bristol Rovers.

(apologies if been posted elsewhere)

History is a set of lies agreed upon.
Report Spam   Logged

Let's Swell The Facilities
WadeyCobbler

View Profile
Mobile User Windows User Combination
« Reply #81 on: May 09, 2022, 13:03:30 pm »

On most weekends I would agree, but they would have seen the team Sc***horpe had out and Bristol had nothing to lose.

I think that's the point, if they had seen and understood the Sc***horpe line-up then they should have thought the impossible was being made more possible. I did. As soon as BR went 4-up that was the warning sign big time.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3429

« Reply #82 on: May 09, 2022, 14:06:51 pm »

If Phil Brown would've thought at half time, "Oh well games gone lets throw on a few teenagers and a completely rookie goalkeeper," we might have scored 5 in the second half.

Instead with integrity to the competition he tightened up his formation, made it difficult for us and saw the season out in a professional manner.

Scunthorpe and Keith Hill decided otherwise and as soon as they had left the party to throw the entire season into disrepute. Playing kids at home to an uninterested Hartlepool with friends and family politely applauding is very different to !0,000+ screaming lunatics marauding at you. Hill knew what he was doing. Rovers did all they had to but essentially played 45 games and a bye. They were given a free ticket to the "All You Can Eat Buffet" and duly obliged.

Last day of the Prem, Brentford safe (and find within the rules) they can play 6 teenagers, one in goal and Leeds score 12 to send Everton down and nobody questions it?

Foooking Stinks and needs highlighting to avoid a similar situation in the future.

Report Spam   Logged
EB Claret

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts
« Reply #83 on: May 09, 2022, 14:11:20 pm »

For my way of thinking Sc***horpe failed to fulfil a first team fixture, therefore under the rules the game should be awarded to Brizzle with a score of 3 nil.

By the spirit of the law WE ARE UP!
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #84 on: May 09, 2022, 14:38:13 pm »

The first goal (own goal) - struggling to think of a better finish for an own goal for many a year! Apparently the kid who scored it got subbed after 27minutes. Probably so he could go and 'claim his winnings'!!!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
WasRambo

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #85 on: May 09, 2022, 14:46:54 pm »

The circumstances are virtually unprecedented and as such will stay that way because the FL and / or FA won't have the guts to do do anything.

This will be held up as one of those "wonderful moments in the beautiful game" and the detail of any possible shady dealings will be swept under the carpet.

I've no doubt that the vast majority of those involved, players, etc are totally innocent but the situation renders itself so implausible its hard to believe it happened without "a little help" and if that help is in anyway underhand then the integrity of the result has to be called into question.

As I say though, this particular box will be far too Pandora for the authorities to go anywhere near.

Report Spam   Logged
guest49

« Reply #86 on: May 09, 2022, 14:52:01 pm »

As I say though, this particular box will be far too Pandora for the authorities to go anywhere near.

What could they do? The play offs are at the weekend, tickets are being sold etc!
It's done and everyone (including the club) need to quickly move on. There is very little sympathy for us out there in the league 2 world.

They can fine Scunny, who can use some of their add on payment to the FA.
Report Spam   Logged
CobblerForever

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 09, 2022, 15:08:51 pm »

Looking at those highlights the Sc***horpe goalkeeper looks hapless. Backing off, making himself seem smaller, not even commanding his goal area let alone his penalty area. In those circumstances who wouldn't want to be a BR forward ?
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #88 on: May 09, 2022, 15:14:48 pm »

It’s as corrupt as fûck.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
WasRambo

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 09, 2022, 15:17:50 pm »

What could they do? The play offs are at the weekend, tickets are being sold etc!
It's done and everyone (including the club) need to quickly move on. There is very little sympathy for us out there in the league 2 world.

They can fine Scunny, who can use some of their add on payment to the FA.

Depends really, they could play the playoffs, then investigate. If BR were found to be involved in anyway their promotion could be rescinded and given to us and if it is us that prevails in the play offs, give that spot to the runners up.

However, in reality, it would be very hard to prove anything. Even if any dodgy conversations did take place, such as "I'll put the worse side possible out" "We'll make sure we concede enough" all to bag the money from an as yet unconfirmed contract clause, it'd be virtually impossible to prove without someone openly blowing the whistle and that's highly unlikely.

We're talking a police led anti-corruption investigation with phone records and all sorts being grabbed and that's just not going to happen.

I'm starting to sound a bit Pelican Brief again here and that will just sound like sour grapes. I think that perhaps is still because it is so fantastically implausible and bigger odds of Elvis riding Shergar across Sixfields that I still can't get my head around.

There are two undeniable issues involved here though that are within the remit of the authorities to take action on though with plenty of measurable fact to assist them.... the quality of side put out by Skunthorpe versus what was actually available to them and the pitch invasion of BR fans. Aside from general crowd behaviour there is the issue of the advantage gained of knowing our result.

If Skunthorpe have contravened team regulations they have done so knowingly and some rule change is needed to prevent it, ie. asking permission in advance and granting interested parties the opportunity to protest.

Again, I don't want to sound bitter - even though I am. We've already had rather ungracious BR postings on here and I'm not trying to encourage that. That said, I don't think anyones reactions have been especially different from those I'd have seen had another team been involved. Anyone on the receiving end of this would have said the same. I'd go so far as to say if I was an independent onlooker and someone presented me with the facts (and rumours) I'd give a one word response....

Bent
Report Spam   Logged
guest49

« Reply #90 on: May 09, 2022, 15:25:22 pm »

I think that perhaps is still because it is so fantastically implausible and bigger odds of Elvis riding Shergar across Sixfields that I still can't get my head around.

It wasn't that unlikely as I only got 16-1 on Rovers scoring 7.
If anything they'll slap Scunny on the wrist and fine Rovers for the invasion...that's if they do anything at all.
Report Spam   Logged
MCHammer

View Profile
Search 1000 Posts Apple User
« Reply #91 on: May 09, 2022, 15:33:27 pm »

We can all be a genuis in hindsight without being directly in the situation making the decisions.

Firstly, forget every other game of the season, we missed out from what happened on Saturday alone.  For every game you can show me through the season where we should have done better I can show you the same for every team in the division including Bristol Rovers.

There was no complexity from a Rovers perspective.  They simply had to score as many goals as they could.  That's it.  They didn't even have to worry about conceding against a youth side who had 1 shot on target all game.

The task for the Cobblers was always so much more difficult and had a great many more variables that had to be considered.  How many goals were enough for us?  We were playing a live opponent who were capable of scoring and goals against would be just as affecting as goals scored.

In my opinion the other things that didn't help us was Barrow scoring just before half time and the Bristol Rovers half time score.  If you are our management team you have several concerns.  Barrow had grown into the game and the goal had lifted the fans.  We needed to avoid conceding again.  I think it would have been fair to also think that Rovers wouldn't get 5 second half.

Now it's a difficult call but who is to say that if we had gone looking for more goals we would not have left the door open to concede.

The pitch invasion then left everything completely in favour of Rovers as they then knew exactly what they had to do.  I've no doubt in my mind that if we had scored again so would they have.

So for me it's simply down to the fact that we were playing a team that were live and capable of scoring whereas Rovers weren't.  Pretending like we could have just smashed in another couple of goals ignores that fact.

It's a great story for neutrals and I'm sure Rovers are loving life.  We were shafted by Keith Hill and his club.

Having said all of that it's never easy with the Cobblers is it.  That's always what has made it so much more exciting though.
Report Spam   Logged
WasRambo

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 09, 2022, 15:41:02 pm »

OK I can't resist, let's really push this transfer thing.

It's January, Rovers are on a great run and they want this lad from Skunthorpe. They know the fixture list.... Whilst promotion clauses are not unheard of or uncommon even, it's a very smart move to include a clause which adds a (rumoured 50k) bonus, especially to an undisclosed initial fee which could have been 50p for all we know.

Having that in your back pocket would be great, especially as Skunthorpe were already virtually relegated and based on the firesale of players, potless to boot.

Of course, we don't know the fee, the clause or the bonus - it's all "undisclosed" but it's certainly enough, under the circumstances and crazy events of Saturday, to get the mind ticking..... Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #93 on: May 09, 2022, 15:41:55 pm »

I'd go so far as to say if I was an independent onlooker and someone presented me with the facts (and rumours) I'd give a one word response....

Bent

I've had a few conversations with work colleagues who support all manner of clubs and their response has been largely as you predict. If not suggesting corruption, they've all said that it's morally wrong.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
guest3481

« Reply #94 on: May 09, 2022, 15:55:02 pm »

OK I can't resist, let's really push this transfer thing.

It's January, Rovers are on a great run and they want this lad from Skunthorpe. They know the fixture list.... Whilst promotion clauses are not unheard of or uncommon even, it's a very smart move to include a clause which adds a (rumoured 50k) bonus, especially to an undisclosed initial fee which could have been 50p for all we know.

Having that in your back pocket would be great, especially as Skunthorpe were already virtually relegated and based on the firesale of players, potless to boot.

Of course, we don't know the fee, the clause or the bonus - it's all "undisclosed" but it's certainly enough, under the circumstances and crazy events of Saturday, to get the mind ticking..... Smiley
At the start of January Rovers were 18th and 13 points off the top 3. They would of course have been hoping for top 3 but I imagine reality would have been scraping the playoffs. I really dont think there is anything in it.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3338

« Reply #95 on: May 09, 2022, 16:56:39 pm »

At the start of January Rovers were 18th and 13 points off the top 3. They would of course have been hoping for top 3 but I imagine reality would have been scraping the playoffs. I really dont think there is anything in it.

They didn't play Sc***horpe until Saturday. It wasn't that is was written into the contract, it was that it became very relevant after game 45 of the season.
Especially if Sc***horpe are as some suggest, a bunch of crooked c unts.
Report Spam   Logged
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
Search 5000 Posts Level 6
« Reply #96 on: May 09, 2022, 17:16:24 pm »

There were many things that cost us automatic promotion over the season.....one of them was easing up against a Barrow side

Our performance against Barrow whilst relevant, is not the matter in question. Both Barrow and Northampton Town played their best sides. Barrow had no reason to field a full strength side against us,, but they did so out of professionalism respect for the other sides involved and adherence to the rules. In fact Exeter could have fielded a bunch of kids, they were already up. Can you imagine the uproar from Bristol Rovers and Joey Barton if Barrow had put out their youth team? It is irrelevant what Scuńthorpe did in previous games, being consistently wrong, doesn’t equate to being right eventually.

As I’ve said. I don’t blame Bristol Rovers. But to say that somehow it’s our fault is quite Frankly ridiculous. Loads of teams get promoted on the last day of the season. And I would confidently predict, that had Scuńthorpe have done what they should of done, we would be in the place we deserve. No doubt about it. Barrow and Exeter can hold their heads up high. Scumthorpe, as they should now be know, can sink into oblivion as far as I’m concerned.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 17:20:02 pm by Terryfenwickatemyhamster » Report Spam   Logged
Peter Frost

View Profile
1000 Posts Second year Anniversary Avatar
« Reply #97 on: May 09, 2022, 17:16:54 pm »

If Phil Brown would've thought at half time, "Oh well games gone lets throw on a few teenagers and a completely rookie goalkeeper," we might have scored 5 in the second half.

Instead with integrity to the competition he tightened up his formation, made it difficult for us and saw the season out in a professional manner.

Great point - Barrow had nothing to play for but came out in the second half very professional and in truth were actually the better side - professional and showing the correct level of integrity
Report Spam   Logged
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
Search 5000 Posts Level 6
« Reply #98 on: May 09, 2022, 17:28:07 pm »

Great point - Barrow had nothing to play for but came out in the second half very professional and in truth were actually the better side - professional and showing the correct level of integrity

Absolutely Pete. As I said. Barrow had absolutely no incentive to play their best team. And for those that don’t condemn what Scumthorpe did, how about any team just putting out their second, and you teams, once they have nothing to play for. Some teams who are faced with mid table mediocrity, could throw the towel in a few games before the end of the season. They could effectively send the first team and the manager and coaching staff off on their hols a month or so before the end of the season. I mean, why fcuking bother? If you only try your best if you can win something, we’ll fcuk it. Just run a reduced fixture list. Let half of the teams finish the season early  Grin Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #99 on: May 09, 2022, 18:55:47 pm »

Absolutely Pete. As I said. Barrow had absolutely no incentive to play their best team. And for those that don’t condemn what Scumthorpe did, how about any team just putting out their second, and you teams, once they have nothing to play for. Some teams who are faced with mid table mediocrity, could throw the towel in a few games before the end of the season. They could effectively send the first team and the manager and coaching staff off on their hols a month or so before the end of the season. I mean, why fcuking bother? If you only try your best if you can win something, we’ll fcuk it. Just run a reduced fixture list. Let half of the teams finish the season early  Grin Grin

Why not take it a step further, clubs with nothing to play for could start auctioning off places in their starting 11 to fans, could be a nice little earner!.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: