The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 12:02:59 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Can I just say...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can I just say...  (Read 12916 times)
Knockingonabit

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Nineth year Anniversary Level 5 Combination
« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2022, 21:20:32 pm »

Drilling and Mr Fenwick, absolutely correct, just to say over 60 years on from my first game I have never felt as bad after a game as on Saturday.
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2022, 21:44:57 pm »

Anybody that says that we deserved what we got, because we never managed it over the whole season is completely and utterly wrong. The minimum that we should of expected, was for Scuńthorpe to field the most competitive team they could.  Promotion often comes down to the last game. The minimum expectation in those games, is that all things will be as equitable as they possibly can be. In fact, the rules suggest this should be the case. So complaining because another side has fielded a side that you know is going to get thrashed, is not being “spoilt”. It’s a totally fair point to make.

Bristol Rovers last scored 7 goals 50+ years ago. If that doesn’t suggest an exceptionally rare and unique chain of events, I fail to see what does. I have said elsewhere. I don’t have a conspiracy theory regarding bribes or such like. But there is nothing conspiratorial in telling the plain truth. The side put out by Scuńthorpe yesterday was always going to take an hammering and they knew it.  In doing so, Scuńthorpe were completely implicit in us not getting automatic promotion.

I do not blame Rovers at all.

It may have been a unique situation..... how many times in those 50 years have Rovers gone out knowing that they might have to score at least five to stand a chance of going up? It wasn't a "normal" game for them.... they set up with an attacking formation and made changes because they knew what they might have to do......yes they were helped out by the Scunny team selection, but even that was pretty obvious in advance as they'd played most of the kids in the previous game against Hartlepool.

I don't blame Rovers either...they knew what they had to do and did it...... we thought all we needed to do was win, unfortunately it wasn't quite enough!
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
guest3429

« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2022, 05:52:07 am »

Can I just say,

Football league rules 6.5

Each Club shall play its full available strength in and during all Competition Matches, unless some satisfactory reason is given.

What was that reason SUFC? Choice? Did the club jettison all of its experienced players at the point of relegation, well that isn't completing all of your fixtures to the Competition rules?

Scunthorpe should be expelled from the league and their results expunged.

Somebody does need to ask the Football League, "What was the satisfactory reason?" for clarity at least. What happens next time, this sets a very bad precedent in fielding an wholly inappropriate team for the circumstances.

In my book Keith Hill intentionally influenced the result of the game.

Report Spam   Logged
threeinabed

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2022, 07:11:06 am »

i'm still annoyed by the "goal" we conceded at home to FGR!

maybe we need to question those officials!
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2022, 07:36:12 am »

It may have been a unique situation..... how many times in those 50 years have Rovers gone out knowing that they might have to score at least five to stand a chance of going up? It wasn't a "normal" game for them.... they set up with an attacking formation and made changes because they knew what they might have to do......yes they were helped out by the Scunny team selection, but even that was pretty obvious in advance as they'd played most of the kids in the previous game against Hartlepool.

I don't blame Rovers either...they knew what they had to do and did it...... we thought all we needed to do was win, unfortunately it wasn't quite enough!

So in theory you are basically criticizing the managenent for not setting the side up to win well? I do not understand your reasoning!
To begin with it was a difficult fixture against a side who had previously walloped FGR and Sutton! Surely if you were there it was obvious that Barrow were no mean side particularly in the 2nd half. With some respect you cannot plan for a side winning 7-0 or more as the fancy takes them. IMO JB picked the best side at his disposal the aim which was to win, hopefully with a few goals; they did this against a side utterly determined to frustrate us at every conceivable opportunity. Whatever you may think an away win of 1-3 was a commendable result. Selecting an understrength Scunny side with a 17yr Goalie says it all for me.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 07:54:22 am by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
guest2995

« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2022, 07:45:29 am »

Can I just say,

Football league rules 6.5

Each Club shall play its full available strength in and during all Competition Matches, unless some satisfactory reason is given.

What was that reason SUFC? Choice? Did the club jettison all of its experienced players at the point of relegation, well that isn't completing all of your fixtures to the Competition rules?

Scunthorpe should be expelled from the league and their results expunged.

Somebody does need to ask the Football League, "What was the satisfactory reason?" for clarity at least. What happens next time, this sets a very bad precedent in fielding an wholly inappropriate team for the circumstances.

In my book Keith Hill intentionally influenced the result of the game.

he definitely set his side up to lose .
There has been collusion in this game between 2 crooks .
The 2 managers were seen talking at half time in the tunnel .
No one , no one plays a 17 year old keeper in a situation like that . He wasn’t even a second year trainee .
The pitch invasion had been organised on twitter beforehand and if river needed 10 they would have got them .
it stinks
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2022, 08:02:02 am »

No one , no one plays a 17 year old keeper in a situation like that . He wasn’t even a second year trainee .
The pitch invasion had been organised on twitter beforehand and if river needed 10 they would have got them .
it stinks

Wow - you like informing us all of circumstances beyond our control Grin
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Substitute
Pat McGatt

View Profile
Combination Poll Voter Level 3
« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2022, 09:48:53 am »

Any team that needs to win 7-0 and does is dope.
Report Spam   Logged

Let's Swell The Facilities
EB Claret

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts
« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2022, 09:55:50 am »

it stinks

If all this and the £50k stuff is true, does the EFL know? Is there any way to petition them? Would they even be remotely interested?

If the Sc***horpe results were removed from the records would we benefit?
Report Spam   Logged
guest49

« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2022, 10:00:49 am »

it stinks

It's a pity we didn't win by 5 and then Rovers probably would have won 10 v 0, which may have brought the authorities in. Probably no coincidence that they didn't score anymore after our game finished "Don't make it look any dodgier"

Anyway, we need to move on and it was one instance in a season of opportunities....it's done and we have a pretty big game on Saturday to focus on.
Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2022, 10:25:40 am »

If all this and the £50k stuff is true, does the EFL know? Is there any way to petition them? Would they even be remotely interested?

If the Sc***horpe results were removed from the records would we benefit?

They do now. I've sent them a lengthy diatribe making my feelings known and asking them to look into it, more with a view to tightening things up in future than it having any impact on what has already happened.

Edit: here's what I sent.

I'm writing to you as a Northampton Town fan. I've purposefully waited a couple of days before contacting you as I didn't want this to be coloured by the range of emotions I was feeling after the unusual events we saw in League 2 on Saturday, but I have now sufficiently calmed down to articulate this in a proper manner.

I often get very tired of hearing my children wail about things being unfair and have little time for it. Indeed, only last week I was playing catch with my little girl when she threw the ball about a meter over my head.

"That wasn't fair!" I exclaimed, to which she responded, “Life’s not fair, daddy.”

She’s only 4, so I’ve a pretty good idea that she’s picked that phrase up from me!

Even so, what happened on Saturday…. just wasn’t fair.

I’ve no complaints about Bristol Rovers, they simply did what they needed to do to achieve promotion, however I do take exception to the side fielded by Sc***horpe.

It included:

-             7 teenagers, amongst them…

-             A 2nd year scholar making his debut

-             An 18-year-old captain

-             A 17-year-old goalkeeper making his second ever start.

This is taken from section 5 of the EFL Rules and Regulations pertaining to Fixtures:

24           Requirement to Play Full Strength Sides in League Matches

24.1        Each Club shall play its full strength in all Matches played under the auspices of The League unless some satisfactory reason is given. In the event of the explanation not being deemed satisfactory the Board shall refer the matter to a Disciplinary Commission which has the power to impose such penalties as it shall think fit.

Guidance

From the fourth Thursday in March, any team sheet for a League game should include at least 10 outfield players who featured on the team sheet for the League game before.

I appreciate that Sc***horpe fielded a similar (but slightly stronger) team in the previous match against Hartlepool, but that game was a proverbial “dead rubber”; no one minds blooding youngsters in those matches, in fact it’s nice to see, but in games that have a material impact on the outcome of the league, surely there should an ethical imperative to field a full team? Barrow did against us, so why shouldn’t Sc***horpe? Their failure to do so has undermined the integrity of the competition.

I genuinely don’t mind losing. I don’t even mind losing out on a promotion spot, but when that loss isn’t inflicted on a level playing field it is very hard to take - I think it’s fair to say it's highly unlikely Bristol Rovers  would have won by a seven-goal margin against ANY other club in the division (if they fielded a full team).

On a second point, there are rumours circulating that Sc***horpe’s sale of Ryan Loft to Bristol Rovers in January included a clause that stated Sc***horpe would receive further payment should Bristol Rovers achieve promotion to League 1. I’ve no idea if these rumours are true but I’ve seen them mentioned by several sources, including from a reputable local journalist.

If this is true, it may or may not have been a factor in the outcome of Saturday’s match, but surely clauses such as this should not be allowed when a transfer involves two clubs playing at the same level, where either team may be able to influence whether that clause is triggered?

In either case, what is done is done and Northampton Town now head into the playoffs. I’m certainly not writing this in the expectation of anything changing in terms of league position, however it would be nice to see:

a)               Ideally some form of sanction against Sc***horpe United

b)               An acknowledgement from the EFL that events this weekend were not in the spirit of the game, even if they weren’t an outright breach of the rules.

c)               A review of the existing rules and regulations to see if they can be tightened up, both in regard to fielding weakened teams and in how transfers are allowed to be structured between clubs at the same level.

As I say, I appreciate nothing can be done about what has already happened, but measures can be put in place that ensure this sort of farcical situation doesn’t affect other clubs in the future as it seriously undermines the integrity of the sport we all love.

Kind Regards,
« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 10:49:07 am by BackOfTheNet » Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
Charlatan

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #71 on: May 09, 2022, 10:37:43 am »

So in theory you are basically criticizing the managenent for not setting the side up to win well? I do not understand your reasoning!
To begin with it was a difficult fixture against a side who had previously walloped FGR and Sutton! Surely if you were there it was obvious that Barrow were no mean side particularly in the 2nd half. With some respect you cannot plan for a side winning 7-0 or more as the fancy takes them. IMO JB picked the best side at his disposal the aim which was to win, hopefully with a few goals; they did this against a side utterly determined to frustrate us at every conceivable opportunity. Whatever you may think an away win of 1-3 was a commendable result. Selecting an understrength Scunny side with a 17yr Goalie says it all for me.
Spot on Post Evers
Report Spam   Logged
Risdene

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Level 4
« Reply #72 on: May 09, 2022, 11:07:26 am »

I have contacted the EFL to ask if the situation of playing a near youth team is bringing the game into disrepute?

Also what is the temptation if the clause was £1 million plus!
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #73 on: May 09, 2022, 11:20:49 am »

"In theory" no I am not saying about the setup.....what I will say is though that we were 3-0 up after 20 odd minutes and took our foot off the gas. Now, this often happens and is possibly a natural reaction to being so comfortable in a game, but there was no reason why we could not have continued and gone 4, 5 even 6-0 up the way we were playing and such was the disarray Barrow were in.

Second half when we sat off them and allowed them to play yes they looked an ok outfit, nothing more than that though. It was also obvious to see that when news of Rovers goals filtered through we picked up the pace and played more like we had for those 20 minutes, Hoskins had two chances to score in five minutes.....

What I am criticising is the fact we played 50 minutes of a game like the job was done.....you may say that it should have been done barring the freak circumstances at the Memorial Ground, but we couldn't influence Scunnys team selection, we couldn't influence Rovers line up or the way they went out an approached the game.....we could only influence our own game.

There were many things that cost us automatic promotion over the season.....one of them was easing up against a Barrow side who, on the evidence of the game we played against them (not going on the fact they had beaten FGR 4-0 or anything like that) were there for the taking.....

The result was good, the scoreline was commendable, however I don't think there are many who saw the game will say that for those 60 minutes in the middle we were great.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
Clarity

View Profile
1000 Posts Fifth year Anniversary Search
« Reply #74 on: May 09, 2022, 11:46:37 am »

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/may/09/northampton-to-lodge-formal-complaint-to-efl-over-sc***horpe-selection-bristol-rovers-promotion?CMP=share_btn_tw
Report Spam   Logged
guest49

« Reply #75 on: May 09, 2022, 11:59:46 am »

"In theory" no I am not saying about the setup.....what I will say is though that we were 3-0 up after 20 odd minutes and took our foot off the gas. Now, this often happens and is possibly a natural reaction to being so comfortable in a game, but there was no reason why we could not have continued and gone 4, 5 even 6-0 up the way we were playing and such was the disarray Barrow were in.

Second half when we sat off them and allowed them to play yes they looked an ok outfit, nothing more than that though. It was also obvious to see that when news of Rovers goals filtered through we picked up the pace and played more like we had for those 20 minutes, Hoskins had two chances to score in five minutes.....

What I am criticising is the fact we played 50 minutes of a game like the job was done.....you may say that it should have been done barring the freak circumstances at the Memorial Ground, but we couldn't influence Scunnys team selection, we couldn't influence Rovers line up or the way they went out an approached the game.....we could only influence our own game.

There were many things that cost us automatic promotion over the season.....one of them was easing up against a Barrow side who, on the evidence of the game we played against them (not going on the fact they had beaten FGR 4-0 or anything like that) were there for the taking.....

The result was good, the scoreline was commendable, however I don't think there are many who saw the game will say that for those 60 minutes in the middle we were great.

I think it was a brilliant result against a tough Barrow team. I also genuinely believe that Rovers would have added 5 on top of what we had won by. Take a 5 nil to us (which would have been as impressive as Rovers 7) and I have little doubt they would have banged 10 in. It is no coincidence that they didn't score anymore once they knew they didn't have to.

We were 3 up in no time and football tells us that teams rarely just keep scoring once a comfortable lead is established, especially against a half decent team. Even at half time, I am sure we felt it was in the bag and wanted to avoid conceding again. Once Rovers were walking it in then it's a big ask and we would have probably needed a minimum of 2-3 more goals and we weren't playing a bunch of kids.

Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #76 on: May 09, 2022, 12:07:33 pm »

Personally, I wouldn't have taken Appere and Eppiah off (assuming neither were injured) because when it became clear we needed to score again we could have really used those two in the pitch. Hindsight is a wonderful thing though - if we'd kept pressing and been caught on the break then that's one less on the goal difference and one less that Rovers would have to score. If we'd slipped up through being too cavalier then everyone would be calling for Brady's head.

Stick or twist - always easy to give the right answer once you know what the next card is going to be!
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
St Edmundsbury Cobbler

View Profile
Level 6 Search Windows User
« Reply #77 on: May 09, 2022, 12:19:57 pm »

I don't think there are many managers that wouldn't have "shut up shop" in that second half given another team needed to score five to pip them to promotion.
Report Spam   Logged

2022/23 Prediction League Champion
2022/23 Guess The Attendance Champion

Claret & White - Nothing Else Matters
guest3481

« Reply #78 on: May 09, 2022, 12:25:10 pm »

I don't think there are many managers that wouldn't have "shut up shop" in that second half given another team needed to score five to pip them to promotion.
On most weekends I would agree, but they would have seen the team Sc***horpe had out and Bristol had nothing to lose.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3481

« Reply #79 on: May 09, 2022, 12:34:42 pm »

Just reading that the only time Bristol were in top 3 was on Saturday. Weirdly reminded me of 2013/14 season when we spent most of the season in bottom 2 only to survive on the last day with the team relegated only being in the bottom 2 on the last day. The team... Bristol Rovers.

(apologies if been posted elsewhere)
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: