The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 10:24:17 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Mansfield (h) PO 2nd leg 18th May

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mansfield (h) PO 2nd leg 18th May  (Read 23788 times)
guest3481

Badges: (View All)
« Reply #200 on: May 19, 2022, 07:46:58 am »

Strangely wasn't too upset by last night, obviously wanted us to win, but over the 2 games we didn't do enough. Mansfield, and Clough, got it right and it will be good learning for Brady.
Their goal was fine, the anger should have been at our players who all stopped, not the officials. If the defence were alert they would have been able to clear the cross.
The foul on Eppiah should have been red, as should have Pinnocks, only one that looked like a pen was the one on Appere but havent watched the others back.

Recruitment is going to be key if we want to be back up the top next season, keeper and a goal scorer are the no brainers but neither easy to come by.
Calderwood wont be a huge loss if he does go.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #201 on: May 19, 2022, 08:00:35 am »

Understand your explanation and agree the rules were interpreted by the officials correctly, but would add that whoever makes and changes the rules of the game clearly does not understand the game itself and got this one wrong. That law proves a needlessly unfair advantage.

Having played the game myself, I don't disagree, but it's not the officials who make the Laws and/or their interpretation. That's IFAB, 50% of which are from the home nations.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Football_Association_Board
If players played to the whistle or understood the Laws, it wouldn't be an issue?
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Peter Frost

View Profile
1000 Posts Second year Anniversary Avatar
« Reply #202 on: May 19, 2022, 08:15:03 am »

Of course we are all massively disappointed- the last 10 days have been tough to take but credit to Mansfield whilst not a great footballing team they beat us more on getting the tactics right rather than footballing ability. Essentially a combination of their defensive ability and our inability to score. For me none of the referee decisions were outrageously wrong although percentage wise we didn’t seem to get the rub of the green. My biggest worry now is what sort of team we will have next season- people talk about the importance and building on the spine of the team but it’s almost certain we will lose 3 of the most influential here leaving us with a bare bones very mediocre squad and of course no proven striker - recruitment this summer is going to be critical.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 19, 2022, 08:39:26 am »

Shame that all of the sports headlines this morning include the "Northampton fans" who decided to invade the field of play, deploy smoke and assault Mansfield players... Angry
Report Spam   Logged

BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #204 on: May 19, 2022, 08:54:08 am »

Thinking back to our various playoff exploits over the years, I was gutted when we lost to Mansfield on pens but there was a real sense of injustice about that one over Crossley's dismal performance. To be honest I'd completely forgotten about losing to Southend until someone mentioned it the other day so that one clearly didn't have much of an impression. The Wembley defeat to Bradfield left a scar, but that was largely due to anger at the complete lack of effort and ability from our team that day. The one we lost to Grimsby was disappointing, but we'd punched way above our weight to get there and had narrowly lost to a team that were better than us on the day.

For me, last night falls into the same pot as the Grimsby defeat - disappointing, but not heartbreaking. I slept fine last night and I'm genuinely not that bothered this morning, whereas
after the Barrow game I had a sleepless night and at this point the following day was writing an email to the EFL in protest....
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
606 Parklands_Cobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Mobile User
« Reply #205 on: May 19, 2022, 08:55:43 am »

looking back now, and it is something I thought at the time...with McGowan and Roberts out in the first game, I thought brady should have gone for a more solid line up and formation especially in the first half (back three, Mills on the correct side, with Hoskins at RWB...I understand why he didn't want to lose the creative partnership he'd found in recent games with the Eppiah, Pinnock, Hoskins attacking 3, but Eppiah wasn't even fit enough to start)...Clough was tactically spot on, especially in the 2nd leg, he went all out not to get beat, which is what Brady should have done.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 08:57:18 am by 606 Parklands_Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #206 on: May 19, 2022, 09:07:07 am »

looking back now, and it is something I thought at the time...with McGowan and Roberts out in the first game, I thought brady should have gone for a more solid line up and formation especially in the first half (back three, Mills on the correct side, with Hoskins at RWB...I understand why he didn't want to lose the creative partnership he'd found in recent games with the Eppiah, Pinnock, Hoskins attacking 3, but Eppiah wasn't even fit enough to start)...Clough was tactically spot on, especially in the 2nd leg, he went all out not to get beat, which is what Brady should have done.

I'm not the biggest fan of Mills anyway, but I did think he was one of our biggest problems last night. He doesn't look comfortable on the right and every time he came forward he had to check infield to bring the ball onto his left foot, which meant he didn't really provide any support to whichever of the more attacking players were in front of him at the time. When he came off and Sammy dropped in to that slot we looked more threatening down the right as he provided an overlap, but that was too little too late.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
606 Parklands_Cobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Mobile User
« Reply #207 on: May 19, 2022, 09:11:48 am »

I think yesterday was different because we had to win, but yes.
Report Spam   Logged
BrixworthCobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Starter
« Reply #208 on: May 19, 2022, 09:40:32 am »

Shame that all of the sports headlines this morning include the "Northampton fans" who decided to invade the field of play, deploy smoke and assault Mansfield players... Angry

I’m confused by this, was it not clearly Mansfield fans? The one that went on and threw the flare was at the top of the hill post game and he was 100% a Mansfield fan.

Are people dumb enough to not think an away fan managed to get in the home end?  Huh?
Report Spam   Logged
Monty

View Profile
Windows User Apple User Combination
« Reply #209 on: May 19, 2022, 09:43:01 am »

We didn't have the ability to come from behind and win all season, and I can't remember many, if any, occasions where we even looked like we might do it. I find that an incredible stat.
Report Spam   Logged

Hotel End Grand National Sweepstake Winner 2018, Fantasy Premier League Winner 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
The 12th Marquis of Sixfields
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
Search Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #210 on: May 19, 2022, 09:54:08 am »

I’m confused by this, was it not clearly Mansfield fans? The one that went on and threw the flare was at the top of the hill post game and he was 100% a Mansfield fan.

Are people dumb enough to not think an away fan managed to get in the home end?  Huh?
we shall find out when he's charged and his address is revealed but I would have thought away fan as the smoke was their colours and he was an absolute tramp. I know we have some scruffy fans but this one was something else.
My thoughts would be he left the away end and walked in through the North West gate which was open at the time
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 09:56:08 am by The 12th Marquis of Sixfields » Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2023
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #211 on: May 19, 2022, 10:00:03 am »

My biggest worry now is what sort of team we will have next season- people talk about the importance and building on the spine of the team but it’s almost certain we will lose 3 of the most influential here leaving us with a bare bones very mediocre squad and of course no proven striker - recruitment this summer is going to be critical.

I actually have some optimism about next seasons squad. We only have 3 first team players out of contract from a side that only missed on automatic promotion on goals scored. We will be able to release a lot of dead wood some probably signed on league 1 wages, which even if we have the same budget as this season will give us a decent amount of room to bring in new players and if we can move on Kabamba all the better. While I agree that recruitment as always is critical I think we are actually starting from a decent base.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #212 on: May 19, 2022, 10:29:27 am »

we are getting tarnished with the idiots that ran on last night . Talksport couldn’t wait to do a feature on it this morning .
If he was Mansfield , why did he push one of their players ? He must have been one of theirs because it was a yellow flare he set off . Also , no one knows him .
The problem is , we are getting the blame .
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 19, 2022, 10:37:39 am »

One was walking from the technical area towards the North Stand along the touchline before he ran on, another came from the North West stand, jumping over the 'barrier'.
I didn't recognise either of them.

As has been said, it's being reported as 'Northampton fans' when it sounds like it wasn't..
If they weren't, I'm not sure of their motives?

Did one of them get a kicking when passing the South West stand 'under arrest'?
Report Spam   Logged

west stand oap

View Profile
2500 Posts Apple User Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #214 on: May 19, 2022, 10:47:14 am »

Well we certainly have not had the rub of the green over the past 12 days, firstly the fiasco at Bristol then the 2 decisions that went against us at Mansfield. If their first goal was disallowed for offside, as it should have been, and we were given the penalty late in the game when Horsfall was wrestled to the ground instead of going into last nights game 1-2 down we could have been 2-1 up.
From past experience I was disappointed to see that Madley had been replaced as referee by Toner and he got so many big decisions wrong. Having watched my Sky recording they are also convinced we had 2 legitimate penalty appeals and Mansfield should have received 2 red cards, although Pinnock was also lucky with his tackle. It was a game when we needed a Kettle or a Breakspeare as they would have had no hesitation giving a red for the crude tackle on Eppiah and Quinn should also have got one for needlessly slapping McWilliams off the ball. Toner also got the decision wrong when he gave a free kick against Mills which should have been against Akins and it was following their free kick that when we cleared the ball out of our penalty area that Eppiah was scythed down thus curtailing his evening after bright display.
However, on the night we were not good enough although you could not fault us for lack of effort and when we got the ball down and played it on the deck we looked more likely to create something. But there was too many long balls from Roberts and high balls into their box which players like Appere and Eppiah stood little chance of winning and once again we was found out by not having the ability to break down a well organised side sitting deep who headed away or blocked everthing that came into their box.
Report Spam   Logged
CobblerForever

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 19, 2022, 10:56:21 am »

On the Pinnock tackle that got him a yellow - it looked like he thanked the Ref afterwards for his leniency.

On their goal - Thanks DC - It's getting like golf (need to keep a rule book in your back pocket to check).
Report Spam   Logged
guest49

« Reply #216 on: May 19, 2022, 10:58:34 am »

Mansfield fans generally saying it was the strongest and best ref they've had all season, funny that, football fans eh?!  Grin

Let's be honest, after the final day of the season our name was never on that last promotion place.

Report Spam   Logged
super-si

View Profile
500 Posts Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #217 on: May 19, 2022, 11:11:29 am »

I'm very much of the opoinion that they were imposters - probably from Bristol!!! They weren't recognoisable Cobblersfans to me. Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
observer1

View Profile
Level 5 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #218 on: May 19, 2022, 11:18:57 am »

We didn't have the ability to come from behind and win all season, and I can't remember many, if any, occasions where we even looked like we might do it. I find that an incredible stat.

Mansfield not winning away vs a top 9 side all season, was the other incredible stat. Keith Curle called it perfectly on the Sky coverage when he said whoever scored the first goal will go through. Result felt inevitable after that.

Hope Mansfield go all the way now, I have massive respect for Clough as a manager and the job he's done there.
Report Spam   Logged
CobblerForever

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 19, 2022, 11:19:55 am »

I slept fine last night and I'm genuinely not that bothered this morning, whereas after the Barrow game I had a sleepless night and at this point the following day was writing an email to the EFL in protest....

I dreamed that the Football League had decided to combine League One and League Two with every club playing each other once. That way we'd get some more attractive fixtures to look forward to (which had been on my mind thinking about the likelihood of still being in L2 next season) and a greater variety of opposition - the early rounds of the FA Cup, League Cup and Football League Trophy do tend to mean playing the same teams over and over.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 11:22:33 am by CobblerForever » Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: