The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 15:02:40 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Teyn Away Days

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Teyn Away Days  (Read 9337 times)
West Stand

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
500 Posts Search Combination
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2022, 10:11:40 am »

I would be annoyed if I was the organiser of Trust Travel, but people are free to travel whoever they like.
Report Spam   Logged
guest168

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2022, 11:49:03 am »

People will travel to away games by whatever method, and with who, they want. The suggestion that everyone should travel with the same travel club is laughable. That suggestion didn't go down well many years ago.

I know what you mean but as we all share a common goal, you would have thought 2 travel clubs would be plenty

Just thought a clear the air meeting should have been the 1st call.

Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2022, 11:56:20 am »

After all that Roger and the Trust have done for you and the club over the many years, you can't have a meeting to air your concerns and get more information before jumping ship, or is it amount control and money?Huh?

I'd say it's about consequences.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
Zen Master

Taxi to Kings Heath mate?

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2022, 12:43:36 pm »

Follow the Mounties.
Report Spam   Logged

I think someone should just take this city of Peterborough and just... just flush it down the f***in' toilet

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2022
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2022, 12:52:33 pm »

Follow the Mounties.

And then Marvo’s breakaway bus!!
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
Tabasco Kid

View Profile
5000 Posts Spammer 25 Posts in one day Seventh year Anniversary
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2022, 13:17:13 pm »

On Jimbo's coach you can even listen to the European Song Contest which for me went down well after the Barrow game!
As if the day could not get any worse..
Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
TPFKA Marvo

View Profile
1000 Posts Spammer 25 Posts in one day 500 Posts
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2022, 13:25:27 pm »

And then Marvo’s breakaway bus!!

Just to set the record straight, "Marvo's bus" WERE the coaches going under the name "Mounties" named after the place they picked up. The breakaway coach was actually from Jimmy's end, a double decker. The very first coach,an Alec Heads bus from the Mounts was to Aldershot I believe in 1979 though I couldn't swear to that. After Marvo packed up the running of the coaches passed to John White and Les Arnold. At first the coaches were run independently but Marvo was approached by the club to become the official supporters club bus in the era when Derek Banks was chairman. I've no idea why or when they stopped running or whether they amalgamated into another "Brand".

As far as the debate is concerned, I think you need different operators because of different needs. Some people like to have a drink on the way to a game, others are not bothered and like to leave later, possibly because of their own situation, maybe working. Some coaches suit the youngsters that like a noisy singalong, some suit the older more quieter clientele. I think there has always been room for more than one, however it would make sense for them to work together in cases where there is either overspill or not enough fans travelling. Maybe this already happens, I don't know.
Report Spam   Logged

It's all about balance.
Tabasco Kid

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2022, 13:25:58 pm »

My first away days were with Bill Cowies Jimmies end buses, since then it was with Normans Indies.
Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2022, 14:16:39 pm »

My first away days were with Bill Cowies Jimmies end buses, since then it was with Normans Indies.

Went to Swindon via the Mounts Pick up point about 79/81
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Carton Lid

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2022, 14:37:40 pm »

The fact that it doesn't makes sense to you may be half the problem though.
Sorry Martin but I think this is a snide comment. I stood up at the front of the coach coming back from Barrow and asked if anyone had problems with the Trust, the stooge 2 rows in front of you stood up and I asked him what the problem was , his answer was "I don't trust them" and he then turned to the rest of the coach like he'd cracked the best joke ever !! So I asked he what didn't he trust and his answer was "I just don't trust them" so there wasn't a lot of point pursuing that conversation. I asked Jim and Barry where would any profits go but didn't receive an answer. I also pointed out the Trust travel hadn't donated any money to the Trust and that was an option that could continue until things became clearer, if that's what the majority wanted
         At the end of the Mansfield game it was left that we would all attend a meeting to try to sort everything out then a week or so later we see Teyn Travel announced saying they have no connection with the Trust but I notice that you are using "Cobblers Travel" on your webpage which is the name that Trust Cobblers Travel use, I think you should remove that ASAP other wise people might get confused. But, best of all your treasurer is a Trust board member and the treasurer of Trust Cobblers Travel !!!!!! He is still the signatory on the cheque books and should have been banking the cash from the Mansfield trip, conflict of interests ??
        I don't have a problem with another breakaway group but I do have a problem with the underhanded way you've gone about it. Like I said in my previous post, a lot of two faced people involved and I'm very disappointed with some people who I thought were honourable and I trusted in the past.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2022, 14:41:42 pm by Carton Lid » Report Spam   Logged
guest3063

« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2022, 16:24:24 pm »

I have to say, I've never got the "teyn" spelling. Despite having lived my whole life in Northampton, having a bit of a local accent myself and having parents that come from generations of Northamptonians (whose accents my wife regularly remarks on the broadness of) I've never picked up on an "ey" sound in the middle of the word town. A slightly cropped "ow" maybe or even an "ew" at a push, but not an "ey".

Same here. I'm a Northamptonian and don't get it either. A bit like that song "to his horse" or whatever it is. I never get that either and I've been supporting the club for over 40 years. Maybe someone could explain its relevance to NTFC?
Report Spam   Logged
Tabasco Kid

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2022, 16:52:49 pm »

Same here. I'm a Northamptonian and don't get it either. A bit like that song "to his horse" or whatever it is. I never get that either and I've been supporting the club for over 40 years. Maybe someone could explain its relevance to NTFC?
Item number 17 on the list.
https://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/heritage-and-retro/heritage/youre-not-really-from-northampton-if-you-havent-done-these-19-things-3281458?page=5
Google is your friend. Use it wisely and it will reveal. As for "to his horse" or "knock kneed chicken" or "sweet molly malone" or "hawaii 50" to Woody, who cares? just join in and support your team.
Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
guest3063

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2022, 17:34:24 pm »

Item number 17 on the list.
https://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/heritage-and-retro/heritage/youre-not-really-from-northampton-if-you-havent-done-these-19-things-3281458?page=5
Google is your friend. Use it wisely and it will reveal. As for "to his horse" or "knock kneed chicken" or "sweet molly malone" or "hawaii 50" to Woody, who cares? just join in and support your team.

No. I don't sing along if I don't like the lyrics or it's not relevant, support comes in many guises my friend. I've done more than my fair share of supporting in the last 44 years.

As for the TEYN thing, still none the wiser but thanks for trying.
Report Spam   Logged
Shoemender

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Second year Anniversary
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2022, 18:45:23 pm »

Must admit not keen on the "horse" song although in the '76 Dodgin promotion year we sang it with the words "Saying goodbye to the fourth." Maybe it stems from that and it sounded better. As for not getting the teyn thing, surely you've heard the phrase; "Gooing deyn teyn in me breyn treysers."  Seynds very Northamptonian me old duck.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3086

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2022, 18:59:52 pm »

No. I don't sing along if I don't like the lyrics or it's not relevant, support comes in many guises my friend. I've done more than my fair share of supporting in the last 44 years.

Apparently if you are unaware of the 'teyn' bollocks then you ain't a true Northamptonian I have been told by the Husk. I can go back at least 4 generations of my family living in Northampton and although I have managed to escape I have absolutely no recollection of the term.
Report Spam   Logged
sxcobbler

Proudtobe.

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2022, 19:29:23 pm »

Must admit not keen on the "horse" song although in the '76 Dodgin promotion year we sang it with the words "Saying goodbye to the fourth." Maybe it stems from that and it sounded better. As for not getting the teyn thing, surely you've heard the phrase; "Gooing deyn teyn in me breyn treysers."  Seynds very Northamptonian me old duck.

Well in all my years of supporting the Cobblers, spanning nearly 70 years... this chant comes. from a random view on the Supporters Coach ....."of looking out the bus windows and seeing a guy stabling his horse ".... as simple as that. In those days the chants were more improvised & spontaneous !!
Report Spam   Logged

Let's show some Ambition !
guest3063

« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2022, 19:52:38 pm »

As for not getting the teyn thing, surely you've heard the phrase; "Gooing deyn teyn in me breyn treysers."  Seynds very Northamptonian me old duck.

I've heard it now  Grin Only taken 54 years. Everyday's a school day.
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2022, 20:12:17 pm »

Just to set the record straight, "Marvo's bus" WERE the coaches going under the name "Mounties" named after the place they picked up. The breakaway coach was actually from Jimmy's end, a double decker. The very first coach,an Alec Heads bus from the Mounts was to Aldershot I believe in 1979 though I couldn't swear to that. After Marvo packed up the running of the coaches passed to John White and Les Arnold. At first the coaches were run independently but Marvo was approached by the club to become the official supporters club bus in the era when Derek Banks was chairman. I've no idea why or when they stopped running or whether they amalgamated into another "Brand".

As far as the debate is concerned, I think you need different operators because of different needs. Some people like to have a drink on the way to a game, others are not bothered and like to leave later, possibly because of their own situation, maybe working. Some coaches suit the youngsters that like a noisy singalong, some suit the older more quieter clientele. I think there has always been room for more than one, however it would make sense for them to work together in cases where there is either overspill or not enough fans travelling. Maybe this already happens, I don't know.

I remember clearly that Marvo started organising coaches having broken away from travelling with the Mounties in early 1988...in fact me and a mate were on our way to the Mounts to catch a Mounties coach, to Bury I think it was, when we were approached by other Cobblers fans saying "come on our coach"...... that was the Marvo organised one and we then went on that coach for all the remaining games of the 1987-88 season. John White and Les Arnold were already running the Mounties coaches at this time and had been for a couple of seasons.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2022, 20:21:43 pm »

You are quite a newcomer then😎
Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2022, 20:44:34 pm »

Well in all my years of supporting the Cobblers, spanning nearly 70 years... this chant comes. from a random view on the Supporters Coach ....."of looking out the bus windows and seeing a guy stabling his horse ".... as simple as that. In those days the chants were more improvised & spontaneous !!

The best chant was the ‘undefeated’  simple to sing which got better as the winning just kept going. Did well to keep going after Holmes left! Personally I thought he made a big mistake in leaving.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: