The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 13:46:10 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Teyn Away Days

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Teyn Away Days  (Read 9369 times)
guest3063

Badges: (View All)
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2022, 20:55:54 pm »

You are quite a newcomer then😎

Not everyone is a super supporter like you evers.
Report Spam   Logged
Shoemender

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Second year Anniversary
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2022, 20:56:47 pm »

Well in all my years of supporting the Cobblers, spanning nearly 70 years... this chant comes. from a random view on the Supporters Coach ....."of looking out the bus windows and seeing a guy stabling his horse ".... as simple as that. In those days the chants were more improvised & spontaneous !!

Must admit, that's a new one on me. " Don't you remember the "76 chant? That's the first time I remember hearing it.
Report Spam   Logged
TPFKA Marvo

View Profile
1000 Posts Spammer 25 Posts in one day 500 Posts
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2022, 22:11:35 pm »

I remember clearly that Marvo started organising coaches having broken away from travelling with the Mounties in early 1988...in fact me and a mate were on our way to the Mounts to catch a Mounties coach, to Bury I think it was, when we were approached by other Cobblers fans saying "come on our coach"...... that was the Marvo organised one and we then went on that coach for all the remaining games of the 1987-88 season. John White and Les Arnold were already running the Mounties coaches at this time and had been for a couple of seasons.

You're wrong and with all due respect, I should know.  Wink

At one point in the Cobblers History, there was no official supporters bus. There used to be one you could book on to in the offices at Abington Road opposite the County Ground but more often than not this was cancelled as they would only run it if enough people were on board to make a profit.  I met Ian Naylor who was the son of a train guard and we went to Walsall near the end of the 1978/9 season on the train (we lost 1-5). That gave us the prompt to start travelling regularly and we started going in a couple of cars, me and Ian, Lee Geary, John Lucas, Tim French, Chris Bull, "Squaddie", "Caddie" etc,  then a mini-bus, then two mini-buses until we booked our first coach. It was so nearly a disaster, at the time we were supposed to leave there was only about 20 on it (a 53-seater) and with no finance behind us it was going to be too expensive. However a quick call out on Radio Northampton telling people about the bus and low and behold half a dozen more turned up and then a Post Office guy Pete Folwell arrived with a dozen more in tow. They were going to the game in an old van but heard the announcement and instead joined us. I think that was the only time we came close to cancelling a bus. Things went from strength to strength and it wasn't long before we had more coaches running. When that happened we needed more people to manage each coach and that's when John White, Les Arnold & Jim Tomlin became involved, although they were already regular travellers. Derek Banks became chairman of the club and one of his directors Mark Deane invited us to a meeting and asked us to become the official supporters club transport. Once that happened numbers grew including Alec and Eyelyn who used to run the supporters club. Jeema was a regular, as was Alan Jones. I ran the coaches for several years until I was made redundant as a train driver at Northampton and moved to work at Bedford. From that point on I no longer had the time to carry on so passed over the reigns to John, Les & Jim. I pretty much stopped going to away games after that. I have travelled on some other coaches from time to time and was once asked as a one-off to run one of the coaches when the Cobblers had a big game away from home with several coaches going. The only other coach I organised myself was actually for this forum, I recall Linda (Dragon Lady) had us all wearing name badges as most of us didn't know one another. That was a one-off. I'd stopped going away matches by the 1989/90 season, I know this for a fact as the Cobblers played at Birmingham and Aylesbury that season and annoyingly I have never seen the Cobblers at either. I go rarely now, just Harrogate & Barrow with Ginger and Alan Trudgill this season to cover the grounds. Wimbledon & with any luck, Solihull Moors next. Didn't go to Sixfields once but did watch every game on Ifollow. I've lost interest, no doubt about that. I keep hoping a new Richard Hill, Trevor Morley and Ian Benjamin will materialise to relight the fire but I've come to the conclusion Carr's was a once in a lifetime team, though in fairness Wilder came close.
Report Spam   Logged

It's all about balance.
Tabasco Kid

View Profile
5000 Posts Spammer 25 Posts in one day Seventh year Anniversary
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2022, 22:22:17 pm »

At one point in the Cobblers History, there was no official supporters bus. There used to be one you could book on to in the offices at Abington Road opposite the County Ground but more often than not this was cancelled as they would only run it if enough people were on board to make a profit.  I met Ian Naylor who was the son of a train guard and we went to Walsall near the end of the 1978/9 season on the train (we lost 1-5). That gave us the prompt to start travelling regularly and we started going in a couple of cars, me and Ian, Lee Geary, John Lucas, Tim French, Chris Bull, "Squaddie", "Caddie" etc,  then a mini-bus, then two mini-buses until we booked our first coach. It was so nearly a disaster, at the time we were supposed to leave there was only about 20 on it (a 53-seater) and with no finance behind us it was going to be too expensive. However a quick call out on Radio Northampton telling people about the bus and low and behold half a dozen more turned up and then a Post Office guy Pete Folwell arrived with a dozen more in tow. They were going to the game in an old van but heard the announcement and instead joined us. I think that was the only time we came close to cancelling a bus. Things went from strength to strength and it wasn't long before we had more coaches running. When that happened we needed more people to manage each coach and that's when John White, Les Arnold & Jim Tomlin became involved, although they were already regular travellers. Derek Banks became chairman of the club and one of his directors Mark Deane invited us to a meeting and asked us to become the official supporters club transport. Once that happened numbers grew including Alec and Eyelyn who used to run the supporters club. Jeema was a regular, as was Alan Jones. I ran the coaches for several years until I was made redundant as a train driver at Northampton and moved to work at Bedford. From that point on I no longer had the time to carry on so passed over the reigns to John, Les & Jim. I pretty much stopped going to away games after that. I have travelled on some other coaches from time to time and was once asked as a one-off to run one of the coaches when the Cobblers had a big game away from home with several coaches going. The only other coach I organised myself was actually for this forum, I recall Linda (Dragon Lady) had us all wearing name badges as most of us didn't know one another. That was a one-off. I'd stopped going away matches by the 1989/90 season, I know this for a fact as the Cobblers played at Birmingham and Aylesbury that season and annoyingly I have never seen the Cobblers at either. I go rarely now, just Harrogate & Barrow with Ginger and Alan Trudgill this season to cover the grounds. Wimbledon & with any luck, Solihull Moors next. Didn't go to Sixfields once but did watch every game on Ifollow. I've lost interest, no doubt about that. I keep hoping a new Richard Hill, Trevor Morley and Ian Benjamin will materialise to relight the fire but I've come to the conclusion Carr's was a once in a lifetime team, though in fairness Wilder came close.
You just cannot resist mentioning trains, can you?
Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
Shoemender

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2022, 22:40:05 pm »

I'm sure you've been going at least as long as I have, so surely remember the Town Hall coaches in the mid seventies, run by Pete Barry at one stage and then at least to around '79, including the famous York City trip and the Leeds United encounter. After that we used to have fairly regular trips from the White Elephant for a few years.
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2022, 23:48:07 pm »

Right, what’s going on here? I distinctly remember the back end of the 87-88 season, Bury away was on my birthday and the first time I travelled on the non-Mounties coach, of which you were on too! Muddy, Glenn’y as well as Caddy were on the bus….you used to start the singing, song called ‘Allouette’ or something. I remember Brighton away…we stopped at the services, all piled out for food and then got rushed back onto the coach with plates of food, plastic trays, cuttlery the lot….and everything ended up going out of the coach skylights!! These coaches only ran till the end of that season……

Tell me I’m not going mad here!!
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
TPFKA Marvo

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2022, 06:26:21 am »

Right, what’s going on here? I distinctly remember the back end of the 87-88 season, Bury away was on my birthday and the first time I travelled on the non-Mounties coach, of which you were on too! Muddy, Glenn’y as well as Caddy were on the bus….you used to start the singing, song called ‘Allouette’ or something. I remember Brighton away…we stopped at the services, all piled out for food and then got rushed back onto the coach with plates of food, plastic trays, cuttlery the lot….and everything ended up going out of the coach skylights!! These coaches only ran till the end of that season……

Tell me I’m not going mad here!!

I was just making the point, I started the Mounties, I didn't follow on from them.

The thing that killed them off was other coaches starting to run, mainly on the close journeys where they could charge less, particularly the Jimmy's End bus which could seat 80+ I believe. The Mounties had eventually tried to make every trip cost the same, so cheaper going to Hartlepool but more expensive Peterborough and that decision proved fatal in the end.

Anyway, we're talking decades ago, I just wanted to set the record straight.
Report Spam   Logged

It's all about balance.
TPFKA Marvo

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2022, 06:31:18 am »

I'm sure you've been going at least as long as I have, so surely remember the Town Hall coaches in the mid seventies, run by Pete Barry at one stage and then at least to around '79, including the famous York City trip and the Leeds United encounter. After that we used to have fairly regular trips from the White Elephant for a few years.

Sorry no but that's because after starting work at 16 in retail and working every Saturday I stopped going between 1972 to 1978. I do recall the notorious White Elephant coaches using Flanagan's buses, they were still around from time to time but usually for the bigger away games.
Report Spam   Logged

It's all about balance.
Shoemender

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2022, 07:09:10 am »

Sorry no but that's because after starting work at 16 in retail and working every Saturday I stopped going between 1972 to 1978. I do recall the notorious White Elephant coaches using Flanagan's buses, they were still around from time to time but usually for the bigger away games.

Ah, Flanagans. I was struggling to remember the name, from Corby I think. There were certainly some "characters" on those coaches!!
Report Spam   Logged
TPFKA Marvo

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2022, 08:35:09 am »

Ah, Flanagans. I was struggling to remember the name, from Corby I think. There were certainly some "characters" on those coaches!!

Indeed.  Grin

I think I told the story before but on one occasion we played at Oxford at their old Manor ground. There was quite a bit of trouble at the game and afterwards the supporters coaches, of which there were several were moved one by one from the ground to a nearby housing estate from where the plan was to be conveyed out away from Oxford. I was on the first coach to arrive at the assembly point which was full of the older generation, women and even a disabled supporter. We were met by a large crowd of Oxford supporters who had obviously known of the arrangement, probably from a previous game. Anyway they surrounded the coach, were banging on the windows, trying to entice us out which due to the clientele on the bus was never going to happen. When the second coach arrived they turned there attention to that. It was the White Elephant coach! Well, I don't know whether the evacuation from the bus was a world record but you'd have thought by witnessing it that the coach was on fire, such was the stampede off it. All hell broke loose and although outnumbered it was an even match until the next coach arrived (and the next) and the Oxford fans were overwhelmed. A large contingent of Police came to their rescue and they left with their tails between their legs. Everybody was put back on their buses and we were led on our way with a police escort front and back. We'd been going about 20 minutes when we were all pulled into a lay-by. The Police got on our bus, searched it, then moved on to the next. We were told they were looking for a Police dog that had gone missing in the melee and I don't know if this bit is true or not but legend has it they found it, sitting on the back seat of the White Elephant bus with a Cobblers scarf wrapped around its neck.  Grin Grin Grin
Report Spam   Logged

It's all about balance.
Bingers

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day 5000 Posts Avatar
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2022, 08:39:52 am »

I've lost interest, no doubt about that.

Very disappointing Marvo, but could you do us a little favour and keep up your log in on here with some top statistics and regular piss take of those who are taking life too seriously, just like the good old days.

Take care, miss you.  Kiss
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2015
Shoemender

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2022, 08:43:34 am »

Indeed.  Grin

I think I told the story before but on one occasion we played at Oxford at their old Manor ground. There was quite a bit of trouble at the game and afterwards the supporters coaches, of which there were several were moved one by one from the ground to a nearby housing estate from where the plan was to be conveyed out away from Oxford. I was on the first coach to arrive at the assembly point which was full of the older generation, women and even a disabled supporter. We were met by a large crowd of Oxford supporters who had obviously known of the arrangement, probably from a previous game. Anyway they surrounded the coach, were banging on the windows, trying to entice us out which due to the clientele on the bus was never going to happen. When the second coach arrived they turned there attention to that. It was the White Elephant coach! Well, I don't know whether the evacuation from the bus was a world record but you'd have thought by witnessing it that the coach was on fire, such was the stampede off it. All hell broke loose and although outnumbered it was an even match until the next coach arrived (and the next) and the Oxford fans were overwhelmed. A large contingent of Police came to their rescue and they left with their tails between their legs. Everybody was put back on their buses and we were led on our way with a police escort front and back. We'd been going about 20 minutes when we were all pulled into a lay-by. The Police got on our bus, searched it, then moved on to the next. We were told they were looking for a Police dog that had gone missing in the melee and I don't know if this bit is true or not but legend has it they found it, sitting on the back seat of the White Elephant bus with a Cobblers scarf wrapped around its neck.  Grin Grin Grin

Oh the innocent days of our youth. The good old days. Grin Grin
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2022, 09:34:27 am »

Not everyone is a super supporter like you evers.

Not correct as some I know have been going to away games since 1956/57. My first away game was Brighton which we won 4-1 with one R Mills having a belter. Must have been about 1959/60. The game I really remember was at Orient about 1963/4 when we graced the 2nd Division. Finished 0-0 in a sea of mud! Branston, Kurila were fantastic that day. Can remember the long line of coaches leaving the ground that day! Counted up to 11 but there were more!

Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Dan

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2022, 09:51:43 am »

What happens with the bank balance of the Cobblers Travel Club ( Trust Travel). Surely this doesn’t get taken across to the new venture.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2013
Carton Lid

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2022, 10:01:43 am »

What happens with the bank balance of the Cobblers Travel Club ( Trust Travel). Surely this doesn’t get taken across to the new venture.
Certain people think it should !!!
         A bit like someone runs a pub then someone else starts another pub next door and asks the original pub for last years profits, because their new customers used to drink in the original pub. Some of the "Breakaway group" really think this should happen  Shocked Huh? Sad
Report Spam   Logged
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
Search 5000 Posts Level 6
« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2022, 10:13:02 am »

Ooops. Get that washing off the line, it’s still dirty.
Report Spam   Logged
Dan

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2022, 10:17:50 am »

I thought this had a good chance of getting messy as soon as I saw the first post.

Certain people think it should !!!
         A bit like someone runs a pub then someone else starts another pub next door and asks the original pub for last years profits, because their new customers used to drink in the original pub. Some of the "Breakaway group" really think this should happen  Shocked Huh? Sad

Think this’ll be bedlam. I know all people involved as I used to use the Trust in my early away days. Sorry gents though, if you’ve chosen to move away and start your new group, you’ll need your own funding.
Report Spam   Logged

Carton Lid

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2022, 10:23:35 am »

I thought this had a good chance of getting messy as soon as I saw the first post.

Think this’ll be bedlam. I know all people involved as I used to use the Trust in my early away days. Sorry gents though, if you’ve chosen to move away and start your new group, you’ll need your own funding.
The webpage makes a big play that they are in no way connected to the Trust,                                                             apart from wanting to use the "Cobblers Travel" name and expecting the money that Trust Cobblers Travel made to go to them, but apart from that there is no connection !!!!!
Report Spam   Logged
St Edmundsbury Cobbler

View Profile
Level 6 Search Windows User
« Reply #58 on: June 05, 2022, 10:27:39 am »

Is Barry Collins that's part of the new travel club that's formed because they don't like the direction the Trust is going the same Barry Collins on the Trust Board that has taken the Trust in that direction?
Report Spam   Logged

2022/23 Prediction League Champion
2022/23 Guess The Attendance Champion

Claret & White - Nothing Else Matters
Dan

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 05, 2022, 10:32:00 am »

This really has not been well thought out 😂 kudos for wanting to keep cobblers fans travelling to games. But I think if they want to split from the trust, not involving their money or a board member is the better direction to take.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: