The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 18:56:37 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Squad - 2022-23 Season

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Squad - 2022-23 Season  (Read 5122 times)
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2022, 12:58:12 pm »

Fcuk football I’m talking about the might of the British Empire, in 1900 25% of the world’s population were British. 🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧

The British empire was a disgusting stain on history and up there with nazi Germany in terms of its atrocities.
Report Spam   Logged
606 Parklands_Cobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Mobile User
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2022, 13:03:03 pm »

The British empire was a disgusting stain on history and up there with nazi Germany in terms of its atrocities.

He calls himself a patriot though.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 13:16:28 pm by 606 Parklands_Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2022, 13:08:55 pm »

Attention Seeker Grin

Terrible judgement to use this argument on this particular thread! Be off with you!
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Tabasco Kid

View Profile
5000 Posts Spammer 25 Posts in one day Seventh year Anniversary
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2022, 13:46:03 pm »

none in Japan!
Land locked countries, rarely have an effective navy. And their ponies could not swim that far.
Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
Tabasco Kid

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2022, 13:54:51 pm »

So, you would abolish the monarchy, and the British Empire disgusts you. You must be great fun in the pub. Super glued your hand to the road, or toppled any statues lately?  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2022, 16:16:23 pm »

Land locked countries, rarely have an effective navy. And their ponies could not swim that far.

Historically, the Mongolian Navy was one of the largest in the world, during the time of Kublai Khan (Grandson of GK). However, most of the fleet sank in a Typhoon during the Mongol invasions of Japan. Which may explain your theory on the inability of ponies to swim Cool. Austria had a Med Fleet 1st WW. In fact interestingly Azerbaijan operates a Fleet on the Caspian Sea,
Report Spam   Logged

Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2022, 16:43:00 pm »

Historically, the Mongolian Navy was one of the largest in the world, during the time of Kublai Khan (Grandson of GK). However, most of the fleet sank in a Typhoon during the Mongol invasions of Japan. Which may explain your theory on the inability of ponies to swim Cool. Austria had a Med Fleet 1st WW. In fact interestingly Azerbaijan operates a Fleet on the Caspian Sea,
Good knowledge Evers old chum.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Manwork04

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2022, 16:45:02 pm »

So, you would abolish the monarchy, and the British Empire disgusts you. You must be great fun in the pub. Super glued your hand to the road, or toppled any statues lately?  Grin
I think he’d go down a storm in the Louden Tavern.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
the grumpy old man

View Profile
1000 Posts Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2022, 16:45:55 pm »

When was the Mongolian navy part of our squad ?
Report Spam   Logged
Tabasco Kid

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2022, 17:37:58 pm »

Word for word, taken from Wikipedia. Not quite what I expected from you. And Azerbaijan is not land locked. And no further comment from me on the matter.
Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2022, 18:00:52 pm »

The recruitment has been very promising so far. Given the pivotal arrival of Hylton, I think Brady
might be tempted more of a 4-3-3 than the 4-2-3-1 we played for the majority of the first half of last season. I can see it looking a bit like this: 

Burge

New RB (Macgowan when fit) Guthrie   New CB   Koiki

McWilliams     Fox       Sowerby

Hoskins/Appere   Hylton      Pinnock

The big remaining questions for me are:

1. What does the arrival of Hylton mean for Appere? Will he play alongside him in a two, will he compete with him for the no.9 role or will he battle Hoskins and Pinnock for a role as a wide forward?
Appere was starting to look like a very creative and dangerous L2 centre forward at the end-of-last season and I definitely think he should continue to play a major role in our attack. We were very static and predictable when we played 4-4-2 last season and I can't see any of McWilliams, Sowerby or Fox being here to sit on the bench so I think 4-3-3 is more likely. (Hoskins and Pinnock aren't really orthodox wingers anyway.)

2. Will Fox provide the creativity from central areas which was lacking last season (and arguably proved our biggest weakness)? Will he better Lewis' tally of two assists? Or, will Brady sign another creative midfielder who will finally give us that elusive 'playmaker' no.10 option (even if just off the bench)?

3. Will Brady sign another wide forward with pace (Eppiah or similar) to provide competition for Hoskins and Pinnock and to give us some crucial pace as a game-changing bench option? Our bench last season was extremely weak (Rose, Seal etc) and was arguably another major factor in our lack of goals.

4. The most pressing priority is obviously to replace Horsfall and Macgowan (temporarily) and to also sign some decent centre back cover (possibly on loan).

« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 18:03:59 pm by bungle » Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2022, 18:24:30 pm »

The recruitment has been very promising so far. Given the pivotal arrival of Hylton, I think Brady
might be tempted more of a 4-3-3 than the 4-2-3-1 we played for the majority of the first half of last season. I can see it looking a bit like this: 

Burge

1. What does the arrival of Hylton mean for Appere? Will he play alongside him in a two, will he compete with him for the no.9 role or will he battle Hoskins and Pinnock for a role as a wide forward?
Appere was starting to look like a very creative and dangerous L2 centre forward at the end-of-last season and I definitely think he should continue to play a major role in our attack. We were very static and predictable when we played 4-4-2 last season and I can't see any of McWilliams, Sowerby or Fox being here to sit on the bench so I think 4-3-3 is more likely. (Hoskins and Pinnock aren't really orthodox wingers anyway.)

2. Will Fox provide the creativity from central areas which was lacking last season (and arguably proved our biggest weakness)? Will he better Lewis' tally of two assists? Or, will Brady sign another creative midfielder who will finally give us that elusive 'playmaker' no.10 option (even if just off the bench)?

3. Will Brady sign another wide forward with pace (Eppiah or similar) to provide competition for Hoskins and Pinnock and to give us some crucial pace as a game-changing bench option? Our bench last season was extremely weak (Rose, Seal etc) and was arguably another major factor in our lack of goals.

4. The most pressing priority is obviously to replace Horsfall and Macgowan (temporarily) and to also sign some decent centre back cover (possibly on loan).

Great post as usual, the main observations I make looking at the team is the lack of a target man, someone to hold the ball up and bring others into play and pace, we desperately need some pace, look at the difference Eppiah made towards the end of the season.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2022, 18:48:10 pm »

Good knowledge Evers old chum.

Google !!! although I knew ow Austria had a small navy in the Med  1914-18
Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2022, 19:08:26 pm »

Word for word, taken from Wikipedia. Not quite what I expected from you. And Azerbaijan is not land locked. And no further comment from me on the matter.

Of course it was - have no previous knowledge of the Mongolian Navy ! Not many do!
As for Azerbaijan it is Geographically land locked and the Caspian Sea or Lake has no tides! That is what I learnt at school! Things have changed so you maybe right Wink
Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2022, 19:16:46 pm »

Great post as usual, the main observations I make looking at the team is the lack of a target man, someone to hold the ball up and bring others into play and pace, we desperately need some pace, look at the difference Eppiah made towards the end of the season.

I thought that Jack Diamond (retained by Sunderland) looked useful and is a right winger! Definitely need a replacement for Horsfall. Also bring in Eppiah if we can. Would have kept Harriman on !
Report Spam   Logged

Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2022, 16:56:59 pm »

If we go with 3 centre backs (presumably Odimayo, Sherring and Guthrie) with Kioki at left wing back, who plays right wing back - do we shoehorn Hoskins in there or is it AN Other? Also who plays in midfield if we go with a front 2 of Appere and Hylton?
Report Spam   Logged
Youarenicetome

View Profile
Level 2 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2022, 20:36:16 pm »

First post....

I think we'll interchange between a back 4 and back 5 depending upon the opposition, as Brady did last year. I see Appere playing just off Hilton. Sowerby, fox and McWilliams all competing for 2 central midfield positions with pinnock and hoskins first choice wide players. Loan signings will come in to provide competition.
It's easy to forget about suspensions/ injuries/ illness when struggling to choose the starting 11 before the season starts.
Generally very impressed with the signings to date. Seem to be a definite step up in quality from this time last year.
All the released players and incomings seem logical and well thought through- can't argue with any decisions Brady has made recruitment wise... Looking forward to another season of progression.
Report Spam   Logged
Tabasco Kid

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2022, 21:07:56 pm »

First post....

I think we'll interchange between a back 4 and back 5 depending upon the opposition, as Brady did last year. I see Appere playing just off Hilton. Sowerby, fox and McWilliams all competing for 2 central midfield positions with pinnock and hoskins first choice wide players. Loan signings will come in to provide competition.
It's easy to forget about suspensions/ injuries/ illness when struggling to choose the starting 11 before the season starts.
Generally very impressed with the signings to date. Seem to be a definite step up in quality from this time last year.
All the released players and incomings seem logical and well thought through- can't argue with any decisions Brady has made recruitment wise... Looking forward to another season of progression.
Welcome aboard.
Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2022, 16:59:19 pm »

Burge

Not entirely sure what points 1 & 3 have to do with the Mongolian Navy, nor Azerbaijan for that matter.
May have missed something though.
Report Spam   Logged
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2022, 12:35:33 pm »

I have a few concerns, despite the recruitment looking excellent on paper. On one hand, I completely understand why Brady is drawn to a switch to 3-5-2/3-4-1-2. Both these formations would allow us to play two strikers in Hylton and Appere together up front which would appear to be a sensible move for a team whose main weakness was scoring goals from open play in one-striker systems last year. However, these are my questions:

1. Our back four had one of the best defensive records in the country last season. A big part of me thinks ‘if it ain’t broke why fix it’. You need a lot of squad depth at centre back to play 3 at the back - will we have enough? Will we will we be as solid as last year or will teams exploit the space behind the wing backs?

2. Can Koiki be converted into a wing back or is he best as an attacking full back? On paper he has all the attributes (pace, control, strength) to be a superb wing back but I’d say his best performances came at full back. Also, for all his excellent forward rampages he didn’t get that many assists it goals last year. Will the wing-backs match Hoskins’ impressive total of assists and goals from last year (assuming he is the one to make way for this new formation? He divides the fan base but the fact is that Sammy had a very productive season last year.

3. Can Pinnock thrive as a number 10 or us he more effective out wide? Pinnock was by far and away our best attacking player last year. However, most of his best performances came as an inverted winged in a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 where he could get out wide and put crosses in.

4. No idea if the rumours are true, but we simply must keep Guthrie. His value to us transcends a crude measure of his raw ability as a centre back because he gives us a crucial sense of continuity with the successful back line of last season. The understanding he has with Koiki, McWilliams, Sowerby and Macgowan and Pinnock (at set pieces) would take ages for a replacement to replicate.

5. I am very wary of the implication that Brady wants to ‘play out from the back’. I’m very sceptical about the capacity of l2 teams to do this on a consistent basis due to the technical limitations if the defenders and have seen it undone very quickly by opposition who press high up the pitch. I’d like to see us play a bit more football through the thirds but also think we should mix it up a bit and avoid sacrificing pragmatism for idealism.

The big questions for me boil down to this: can we create more chances this season whilst preserving our defensive solidity? The answer I think is ‘yes but it will take a lot of coaching and we will probably need to be patient in the first 10 games while the teething problems are ironed out’. In the long run, if sustainable L1 football is the aim then a switch to a more progressive possession based style is probably the correct strategy.

We still need a pacy forward as an option off the bench along with at least one other centre back.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: