The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 13:14:17 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Ticket And Tannoy Issues

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ticket And Tannoy Issues  (Read 11036 times)
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #180 on: August 15, 2022, 13:49:39 pm »

Wrong, if it’s a 1D scanner it can’t read QR codes.

From what I saw it's a camera based system rather than a traditional barcode scanner, so it's entirely down to the image recognition software sitting behind it rather than the hardware. The guy in front of me had a printed out ticket with a QR code on it, my card had the long barcode. Both were read by the same device the steward was holding.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 15, 2022, 13:52:46 pm »

Yes, older scanners wont have 2D capability. I work for a major retail IT supplier and we have upgraded 10s thousands over the last few years. Also even if it is capable of 2D scanning it may still be configured for 1D scanning.

We often upgrade the hardware then send out the 2D configuration barcodes afterwards to enable them.

I used to love those config barcodes back in the day when I was a programmer working on POS systems - they invariably made very satisfying warbling sounds as you scanned them in.  Grin
« Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 13:54:28 pm by BackOfTheNet » Report Spam   Logged

Gen.Disorda

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #182 on: August 15, 2022, 13:55:15 pm »

From what I saw it's a camera based system rather than a traditional barcode scanner, so it's entirely down to the image recognition software sitting behind it rather than the hardware. The guy in front of me had a printed out ticket with a QR code on it, my card had the long barcode. Both were read by the same device the steward was holding.

If they are using a smart phone which is often cheaper than a dedicated HHT like a Zebra/Symbol TC52 or MC55 (like they use to count stock in factories or shops) then it will 100% using the camera.

A barcode scanner would be cheaper than using a phone though in most cases.
Report Spam   Logged

BackOfTheNet

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 15, 2022, 14:03:24 pm »

If they are using a smart phone which is often cheaper than a dedicated HHT like a Zebra/Symbol TC52 or MC55 (like they use to count stock in factories or shops) then it will 100% using the camera.

A barcode scanner would be cheaper than using a phone though in most cases.

Maybe they are saving a few quid by telling the ticket operatives to BYOD Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

Gen.Disorda

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 15, 2022, 14:10:49 pm »

Maybe they are saving a few quid by telling the ticket operatives to BYOD Tongue

It wouldn't be that bad of an idea to just have them download the an app tbh.

In Serbia they have made it illegal to expect staff to use their own Phones or devices or work purpose, which I think is actually fair. I have to use my own phone and have previously answered the phone in the pub assuming it was a friend who's phone just died calling back. The customers servive manager was less than impressed  Grin Grin Grin
Report Spam   Logged

BackOfTheNet

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 15, 2022, 14:28:04 pm »

It wouldn't be that bad of an idea to just have them download the an app tbh.

In Serbia they have made it illegal to expect staff to use their own Phones or devices or work purpose, which I think is actually fair. I have to use my own phone and have previously answered the phone in the pub assuming it was a friend who's phone just died calling back. The customers servive manager was less than impressed  Grin Grin Grin

I hate carrying my work mobile so have given a handful of colleagues my personal number in case they need to contact me while I'm off. Some git has clearly given this out to someone as I keep getting cold calls from various software and services vendors trying to sell me stuff. Most recently I got a call while pìssed up on a pier with my mates last weekend. It came from a Northampton number so I thought I'd better answer it and then spent 10 minutes trying to a) figure out who the hell it was above a howling wind b) explaining that we already had a customer experience platform and c) no, I wasn't prepared to tell them what it was!

On the BYOD front, we're currently having similar issues from a minority of users when rolling out an app based 2FA VPN solution. We haven't got a company mobile so why should we install stuff on our own phones?
Report Spam   Logged

Gen.Disorda

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 15, 2022, 14:57:01 pm »

I hate carrying my work mobile so have given a handful of colleagues my personal number in case they need to contact me while I'm off. Some git has clearly given this out to someone as I keep getting cold calls from various software and services vendors trying to sell me stuff. Most recently I got a call while pìssed up on a pier with my mates last weekend. It came from a Northampton number so I thought I'd better answer it and then spent 10 minutes trying to a) figure out who the hell it was above a howling wind b) explaining that we already had a customer experience platform and c) no, I wasn't prepared to tell them what it was!

On the BYOD front, we're currently having similar issues from a minority of users when rolling out an app based 2FA VPN solution. We haven't got a company mobile so why should we install stuff on our own phones?

It's probably Linked in mate, I am bored of telling random companies that I am not the budget holder Grin Grin

I broke my phone phone once and thought I would wait the 3 weeks for the latest Samsung release so I could pick up the model I wanted cheaper. Which is my prerogative, it is my personal phone. 

Work "How will we get hold of you?"
Me "Cisco jabber soft phone" (They told me this is why I don't need a work phone)
Work  "What if you are away from your laptop?"
Me "I don't know, I was assuming you had thought that far ahead"  Grin Grin

Report Spam   Logged

BackOfTheNet

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 15, 2022, 15:24:10 pm »

It's probably Linked in mate, I am bored of telling random companies that I am not the budget holder Grin Grin

I broke my phone phone once and thought I would wait the 3 weeks for the latest Samsung release so I could pick up the model I wanted cheaper. Which is my prerogative, it is my personal phone. 

Work "How will we get hold of you?"
Me "Cisco jabber soft phone" (They told me this is why I don't need a work phone)
Work  "What if you are away from your laptop?"
Me "I don't know, I was assuming you had thought that far ahead"  Grin Grin

Evil Grin
Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #188 on: August 15, 2022, 15:54:04 pm »

Two faced supporter  Grin

I asked you had you seen the tutorial. It clearly shows ALL codes being accepted, QR and bar codes. So, did you see the tutorial? If you have, you should pay more attention.

I didn't read the whole Tutorial stopped after QR codes. If the Tutorial is correct that both codes can be read  then that does not explain the Steward requiring Bar code holders to go to the TO. Have an open mind at the moment as it does not explain the confusion on Saturday. I know you are desperate for an amicable resolution so give the Club time to respond.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Ragdoll Cobbler

View Profile
Linux User Level 5 1000 Posts
« Reply #189 on: August 15, 2022, 16:24:47 pm »

So, both work, even though the stewards on Saturday were telling some people they had to change to QR code season tickets Roll Eyes

Northampton Town would like to issue a ticketing update ahead of the visit of Doncaster Rovers on Saturday August 27th.

Firstly, we hope supporters find the ability to have a ticket sent by text to their mobile device a benefit of the new ticketing system to avoid having to collect tickets.

To help us make the entry in to the stadium as efficient and as smooth as possible on matchdays, we would like to advise supporters of the following.

If you are a season ticket holder with a barcode (as opposed to a QR code) on your season ticket, you do not need to return your season ticket to be updated. Entry can be secured via your barcode.

On matchdays, when approaching the turnstile, please have your ticket ready and place your mobile device or ticket flat down on the turnstile where indicated with the barcode facing up ready to be scanned. Please do not hold your device or ticket slightly off the surface, please place it down flat where indicated.

In addition, please do arrive as early as you can to help minimise queues just before kick off. We appreciate not all supporters can arrive early, but the more who can then the smoother the entry in to the stadium will be for all supporters.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to seeing you all at the Doncaster Rovers game on Saturday August 27th.

FAQ:

WHY HAS A NEW TICKETING PLATFORM BEEN INTRODUCED?
The club have invested in and upgraded the ticketing system over the summer to take advantage of advances in technology to improve the experience for supporters and speed up ticket office serving times. Some initial benefits of the new ticketing system include electronic tickets now being emailed or sent as a text directly to the mobile device of the purchaser. These tickets can be scanned at the point of entry from a mobile device to save supporters time and the journey of having to collect tickets. Other improvements include the option to load cup game tickets on to season ticket cards and there are other benefits that will be introduced in due course.

MY SEASON TICKET HAS A BARCODE RATHER THAN A QR CODE. CAN I GAIN ENTRY VIA THE BARCODE? WHY DO SOME SEASON TICKETS HAVE BARCODES AND SOME HAVE A QR CODE?
Yes you can gain entry via a barcode season ticket, there is no need to return your season ticket to be changed for a QR code. Barcodes were issued for all season tickets sold on the previous ticketing system, so that season ticket holders could take their card away with them at the time of purchase, ie they did not have to make a return journey after the new system had been installed to collect a season ticket. The new system has been programmed to recognise the barcodes from the previous system. You do not need to change to a QR code.

WHAT DO I DO WITH MY TICKET/DEVICE WHEN APPROACHING THE TURNSTILE?
Please have your ticket ready and open at the correct page/screen. Please place your device or ticket flat down where indicated with the barcode or QR code facing up (please do not hold the ticket or device in mid-air.)

SHOULD I MAKE MY BARCODE BIGGER ON MY PHONE?
No, the scanner will read the barcode at the size it is. Please do not zoom in.

HOW DO I AVOID QUEUES AT TURNSTILES?
We encourage supporters to arrive as early as possible to avoid peak times. Turnstiles open 90 minutes prior to kick off and supporters are welcome to enter the stadium at any point from that time.

WHAT DO I DO IF I NEED HELP OR AM NOT SURE?
If you need assistance, please email tickets@ntfc.co.uk or call 01604 683777 between 10am and 5pm weekdays while there will be stewards and turnstile operators to assist on matchdays.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 16:26:36 pm by Ragdoll Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged
guest3063

« Reply #190 on: August 15, 2022, 16:28:24 pm »

I didn't read the whole Tutorial stopped after QR codes. If the Tutorial is correct that both codes can be read  then that does not explain the Steward requiring Bar code holders to go to the TO. Have an open mind at the moment as it does not explain the confusion on Saturday. I know you are desperate for an amicable resolution so give the Club time to respond.

I look forward to that pint you promised me. It will have to be a different game though because I can't make tomorrow - I know I'm not a true supporter like you.

The tutorial wasn't to read, it was filmed showing supporters entering the stadium with different types of codes on phones, tickets, season tickets etc. You didn't watch it did you Evers?   
Report Spam   Logged
singcobb

View Profile
Level 6 Avatar Linux User
« Reply #191 on: August 15, 2022, 16:42:27 pm »

We use scanners that read both. The main unit clips to your belt and you have a bluetooth scanner that attaches to your finger. It's all connected to the WLAN and will even tell you if a bar/QR code has been scanned already. Accurate attendance figures and stops people coming in on fake tickets(for those big games when we are sold out).
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #192 on: August 15, 2022, 16:42:36 pm »

Come in please Melly and give yr opinion, surely the tutorial scanner cannot read both systems. If so the Steward  pre scanning cards prior to entry outside West Stand and telling barcoders to visit the TO to get an QR card  was wrong Shocked
Generally speaking, modern barcode scanners use image technology and can read all types of barcodes. Older scanners use lasers and read linear barcodes only. Again, the most likely scenario here is that the affected codes are of insufficient quality. This doesn’t mean they will all fail, just a percentage of them. For those interested the most high profile case regarding this issue was Sainsburys who lost £150 million as a result, so nothing new. Good news for me though, We built an entire business around it, necessity being the mother of invention and all that.

https://www.ratcliff.it/news/5-famous-it-project-failures-and-how-you-can-avoid-their-pitfalls
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
Search 5000 Posts Level 6
« Reply #193 on: August 15, 2022, 16:43:54 pm »

You could have written what you did. Or better still, you could have apologised.

I’m all for digging your heels in when your 100% sure your right. But you didn’t even bother to read the whole bloody thing before insulting someone.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 15, 2022, 16:51:52 pm »

I look forward to that pint you promised me. It will have to be a different game though because I can't make tomorrow - I know I'm not a true supporter like you.

The tutorial wasn't to read, it was filmed showing supporters entering the stadium with different types of codes on phones, tickets, season tickets etc. You didn't watch it did you Evers?   

Am afraid I did - can remember the video showing a person with arrow like emblems on a t shirt.
Under the present circumstances and due to the confusion on Saturday & until the Club clarify the issues will wait. In the meantime still believe you were issued/waved thru’ to avoid a prolonged conversation.
Report Spam   Logged

Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #195 on: August 15, 2022, 17:04:23 pm »

As a general rule if the barcode is linear the maximum number of characters you can get in a barcode and maintain the highest quality standard is 9 at around 70mm wide. If there are more characters at a smaller width then this may cause an issue and is one of the drivers for switching from linear to 2D/QR etc where more characters can be embedded whilst maintaining quality. Some older operations in the supply chain still use historical devices which prevents the use of QR/2D as standard. The IT system itself has no concept of what a barcode is or what type is being used, it is merely a vehicle for communicating  the data, the device reads the data via the barcode and delivers it to the IT system. Hope this helps.
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 15, 2022, 17:27:33 pm »

You could have written what you did. Or better still, you could have apologised.

I’m all for digging your heels in when your 100% sure your right. But you didn’t even bother to read the whole bloody thing before insulting someone.

The latest info posted by Ragdoll via the Club suggests that the system set up via the tutorial was sufficient to cope with QR and Barcodes. Am surprised at this as there was ongoing confusing situation on the day!
Please inform me who I have insulted so I can apologise. It now sounds the Steward pre checking the ST codes at the entry point and redirecting fans to the TO was wrong!
Report Spam   Logged

Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #197 on: August 15, 2022, 17:31:23 pm »

Someones pants are on fire?  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
Search 5000 Posts Level 6
« Reply #198 on: August 15, 2022, 17:36:31 pm »

The latest info posted by Ragdoll via the Club suggests that the system set up via the tutorial was sufficient to cope with QR and Barcodes. Am surprised at this as there was ongoing confusing situation on the day!
Please inform me who I have insulted so I can apologise. It now sounds the Steward pre checking the ST codes at the entry point and redirecting fans to the TO was wrong!

You called Teachers pet two faced
Report Spam   Logged
guest3063

« Reply #199 on: August 15, 2022, 17:44:22 pm »

You called Teachers pet two faced

Good old Evers, always gets himself into hot water  Roll Eyes  He did promise me a pint if he was wrong though  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: