The Hotel End
April 16, 2024, 08:11:05 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Carabao Cup 1st Round v Wycombe 09/08/22

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Carabao Cup 1st Round v Wycombe 09/08/22  (Read 3835 times)
Bingers

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Spammer 25 Posts in one day 5000 Posts Avatar
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2022, 20:23:03 pm »

Baldy is always right, 3-2 and Wembley here we come!
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2015
Bingers

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2022, 20:40:53 pm »

Baldy is always right, 3-2 and Wembley here we come!

I feel so let down by Baldy. I think he should do the honourable thing.
Report Spam   Logged

Jonesy9

View Profile
Level 4 Second year Anniversary Topic Starter
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2022, 20:42:03 pm »

I guess Wycombe were 1 step away from the Championship, and we did play a reasonably rotated team.
Still, 20 shots at home and the only goal was from a penalty still points to us needing someone clinical up top.
Report Spam   Logged
Clint

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2022, 20:51:38 pm »

Well done lads, well done Louis
Report Spam   Logged
1HorshamCobbler

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Combination
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2022, 21:10:19 pm »

Pretty poor first half, lose passes and no real attacking threat. Maxted just doesn’t inspire confidence either. Bowie had some good involvement but aside from one good pass to Kolki his passes were often astray. Apere had a good game but no real support. We improved after the substitutions but Wycombe deserved the win.
Report Spam   Logged
Welly Cobb

View Profile
Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2022, 21:10:56 pm »

Completely changed game when the subs game on. McWilliams and Pinnock I think are a shade above anyone else at the club. Leonard doesn't seem like he enjoys the sitting role, his tackles a little suspect, but looked much better towards the end with Fox and McWilliams doing the dirty work instead.

Probably not going to face the quality of Jacobson's free kick every week in the league, but still some suspect defending at times. Maglorie had a confusing game at Centre-back, if he could concentrate for a full 90 he really would be an excellent centre back.

Report Spam   Logged
west stand oap

View Profile
2500 Posts Apple User Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2022, 22:01:58 pm »

At 25 minutes neither 'keeper had really been worked but it was a fine free kick to give them the lead. Bowie's ball across the half way line straight to a Wycombe player and they cut us open for the second. Once again we gave the ball away too easily with misdirected passes.
After the 3 subs came on we threatened more in the next 5 minutes than we had in the previous 60 minutes with a string of attacks but we were guilty of too ambitious shooting from distance and our final ball letting us down. We did not come close to an equaliser and almost gifted Wycombe a third goal when a poor back pass caused Maxted to hurry his clearance and they hit the post. Surprised to see we had 20 shots.
Good to see Appere have a better game and get his goal and I thought Haynes done well and young Cross had some good moments. Our only yellow card went to JB.
Report Spam   Logged
Wandering Seaagull

View Profile
Windows User
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2022, 22:32:10 pm »

Good evening. Brighton fan here in peace - just joined to keep tabs on the progress of our youngster on loan to you, and maybe get a progress report or two! The lad's first taste of 'grown up' football tonight - good to see that he got the full 90.
Good luck to him, and to you for the season.
Report Spam   Logged
lordjord

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2022, 22:40:20 pm »

Disappointed to lose a winnable game, although i did go anticipating we would get knocked out. Echo the previous message I thought Haynes played well. That allowed Koiki to play as a LW which was an interesting experiment. He got plenty of shots away but he seems to come infield more often that not despite being physically gifted enough to beat his man (as he did second half that got them a booking) and going away from his left foot.

Magloire continues to concern me in a back 4. I never rated him as highly as many others and I still worry that he benefited massively from being in such a strong back 3 before. He used his pace to cover off danger at times really well, but then lapsed in concentration at least 3 times with not being aware who was around him and a really poor back pass. Think he is definitely best suited to a back 3. Guthrie really is going to be key to us this season, an injury to him would really give us issues as the other CB's just offer us different things to him.

I liked Fox and Leonard. Leonard in particular made a lot of bursts / picked up lots of positions to receive the ball but especially first half was not given it. In our best period after the subs it was him getting on the ball and giving one touch passes etc that got us looking much better, with his lovely through ball with the outside of his boot setting up Pinnock for a chance. Also liked what Fox had to offer, combative and decent on the ball also. To me I would like to see them both start with McWilliams and Sowerby start on the bench.

Bowie did the hard work often and then gave it away, including leading up to the second goal. There is promise there but today wasnt his day. Appere worked hard and glad he got his goal, still dont think he is the man to lead the line though.

All in all it was a very meh game, felt like a preseason friendly in many ways. Still, things to take away from the game at least.

We looked so much better when we actually went through the midfield as we did in the second half, i hope that can continue more so moving forward. Hope we start 433 or 4231 on Saturday.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2022, 23:17:00 pm »

Good evening. Brighton fan here in peace - just joined to keep tabs on the progress of our youngster on loan to you, and maybe get a progress report or two! The lad's first taste of 'grown up' football tonight - good to see that he got the full 90.
Good luck to him, and to you for the season.

Generally a big difference between our reserves and theirs. Apart from Haynes, the others did not look like potential first team players. Until we complete the squad to an acceptable standard we may fail to impress!
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Baldy

View Profile
Search 5000 Posts Combination
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2022, 07:29:18 am »

I feel so let down by Baldy. I think he should do the honourable thing.
I take full responsibility
Report Spam   Logged
Bingers

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2022, 07:48:45 am »

But.....

Oh dear, Baldy has turned into Johnson. "Full responsibility", but no apology, no offers to resign, he just wants to move on as if nothing has happened. I can see a vote of no confidence coming.
Report Spam   Logged

GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2022, 08:20:44 am »

…….but we go again…..!
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
FezNTFC

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2022, 08:21:58 am »

Disappointed to lose a winnable game, although i did go anticipating we would get knocked out. Echo the previous message I thought Haynes played well. That allowed Koiki to play as a LW which was an interesting experiment. He got plenty of shots away but he seems to come infield more often that not despite being physically gifted enough to beat his man (as he did second half that got them a booking) and going away from his left foot.

Magloire continues to concern me in a back 4. I never rated him as highly as many others and I still worry that he benefited massively from being in such a strong back 3 before. He used his pace to cover off danger at times really well, but then lapsed in concentration at least 3 times with not being aware who was around him and a really poor back pass. Think he is definitely best suited to a back 3. Guthrie really is going to be key to us this season, an injury to him would really give us issues as the other CB's just offer us different things to him.

I liked Fox and Leonard. Leonard in particular made a lot of bursts / picked up lots of positions to receive the ball but especially first half was not given it. In our best period after the subs it was him getting on the ball and giving one touch passes etc that got us looking much better, with his lovely through ball with the outside of his boot setting up Pinnock for a chance. Also liked what Fox had to offer, combative and decent on the ball also. To me I would like to see them both start with McWilliams and Sowerby start on the bench.

Bowie did the hard work often and then gave it away, including leading up to the second goal. There is promise there but today wasnt his day. Appere worked hard and glad he got his goal, still dont think he is the man to lead the line though.

All in all it was a very meh game, felt like a preseason friendly in many ways. Still, things to take away from the game at least.

We looked so much better when we actually went through the midfield as we did in the second half, i hope that can continue more so moving forward. Hope we start 433 or 4231 on Saturday.
Would echo pretty much everything said in this post to be honest.

A bit like last year, I just think 4-2-3-1 suits the better players we have and the sooner we change to it the better I think.

Promising start from Fox, and I think Sowerby could be sweating on his place potentially. Leonard looked a different player when he had the first team players around him and showed some of the creativity that we've been lacking in recent years from the middle of the park.

I've been impressed with what I've seen of Lintott actually, and similar to you lordjord I'm not sure I'm convinced with Magloire in a back four either. He constantly looks on the cusp of either doing something terrible or something brilliant, but he does look more susceptible to an error than our other CBs.

There's a really exciting player in Bowie too, but he needs to quickly improve his passing.
Report Spam   Logged
Gen.Disorda

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2022, 08:50:35 am »

But.....

Oh dear, Baldy has turned into Johnson. "Full responsibility"

It's time to sign 4 s*** strikers and throw in a hand grenade Baldy.
Report Spam   Logged

Tabasco Kid

View Profile
5000 Posts Spammer 25 Posts in one day Seventh year Anniversary
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2022, 11:25:32 am »

Highlights.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1557154762872631296
Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
west stand oap

View Profile
2500 Posts Apple User Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2022, 19:07:06 pm »

2 comments having watched the ITV highlights programme:-
I think Roberts should have done better with the goal that won the game for Barnsley, the shot was straight at him and he parried it to one of their players. Several posters on Middlesborough forum thought he was at fault.
Danny Rose missed an absolute sitter from a few yards right in front of goal although he did get a tap in late in the game. Noticed he was only on the bench last Saturday.
Report Spam   Logged
TownOwl

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2022, 19:14:30 pm »

1 comment having watched the Shef Wed Sunderland game.
Diamond was their best player - well above L2 standard.
Report Spam   Logged

Roll Eyes           Roll Eyes           Roll Eyes
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: