The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 09:19:35 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Carabao Cup 1st Round v Wycombe 09/08/22

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Carabao Cup 1st Round v Wycombe 09/08/22  (Read 3795 times)
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Windows User Level 6
« on: August 07, 2022, 16:06:06 pm »

Wycombe make the shortish trip up from South Buckinghamshire to Sixfields for this first round fizzy drink cup tie.
The Chairboys have made a mixed start to life in League 1 following their playoff campaign last time out, an opening day 3-0 win over Burton was followed up at the weekend with defeat at Bolton by the same scoreline.

Gareth Ainsworth is coming up on 10 years in charge of Wanderers, he has 203 wins from 515 games in charge. He took over a team in League 2, led them to the Championship in 2020 but relegation back to the third tier followed after just one season.

Wycombes League Cup history is mixed, they only became a league club in 1993, only three times have they made it to the third round of the competition, although on one of those occasions they went all the way to the semi-final as a fourth tier club, losing to Chelsea over two legs in 2007. Last season penalty shoot out wins at Exeter and Stevenage saw them rewarded with a tie at The Etihad where they were soundly beaten 6-1 by Manchester City.

Back to this season, they blitzed Burton with three goals in the opening half hour to secure the three points on opening day. A quiet transfer window it seems, D'Mani Mellor has come in from Manchester United and has come off the bench in both games so far, but its pretty much the same squad as last season minus defender Anthony Stewart who headed north to Aberdeen after seven seasons, and of course Adebayo Akinfenwa who retired at the end of last season after six years with Wanderers.

The head-to-head between the two sides stretches to 32 games with 15 draws amongst them, one of those being our only previous meeting in this competition, a 1-1 draw at Adams Park in August 2018, the home side going on to win a penalty shootout by seven goals to six. Wycombe have won on both their last two visits to Sixfields, though both of those were in the Football League Trophy, a 1-0 win in 2018 and a 3-0 win in 2016, they have won five of their 14 visits to Sixfields, including a 5-0 win in January 2003 and a 4-1 victory in 2013.

Tom Nield will be the man in charge of proceedings, an experienced ref whose appointments were spread between League 1 and League 2 last season as he handed down 112 yellow cards and three red ones in his 28 games in charge. He was our ref for the home victory over Salford in January and also oversaw our victory at Tranmere earlier in the season. It would appear to be his first Wycombe game since their win over Bristol Rovers in February 2020.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

west stand oap

View Profile
2500 Posts Apple User Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2022, 11:02:53 am »

Unfortunately this competition has long lost its appeal which is why we have to reduce admission prices to even attract a lower attendance than a Div.2 game. Getting through to the later rounds in the hope of getting one of the big Premiership sides now mostly means playing against a bunch of kids. All teams now make changes and I expect us to make several.
I expect Maxted to start in goal but as the defence still needs time to gel I would again play Magloire (maybe tough on Lintott), also giving Sherring and Guthrie another game to work on their partnership. The only defensive change I would make is to give Haynes a game in his favoured left back position.
Hylton will probably be rested so Appere to start to give him another game to get up to speed and Bowie to play on the right. Fox also to come in and give Leonard a chance to see what he can do.
2 of us will be there but I will be surprised if we make it through to round 2 although we have a history of beating teams from a higher division in this competition.
Report Spam   Logged
therealpattcobb

View Profile
Level 4 100 Posts One year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2022, 11:28:27 am »

Unfortunately this competition has long lost its appeal which is why we have to reduce admission prices to even attract a lower attendance than a Div.2 game. Getting through to the later rounds in the hope of getting one of the big Premiership sides now mostly means playing against a bunch of kids. All teams now make changes and I expect us to make several.
I expect Maxted to start in goal but as the defence still needs time to gel I would again play Magloire (maybe tough on Lintott), also giving Sherring and Guthrie another game to work on their partnership. The only defensive change I would make is to give Haynes a game in his favoured left back position.
Hylton will probably be rested so Appere to start to give him another game to get up to speed and Bowie to play on the right. Fox also to come in and give Leonard a chance to see what he can do.
2 of us will be there but I will be surprised if we make it through to round 2 although we have a history of beating teams from a higher division in this competition.
Much easier for me to get to evening games, and the reduced admission carrot may be grabbed. However I agree with the comments about the competition as a whole.
 My new drinking buddy (my nephew)is not allowed to come with me though as his parents don't want him out too late, and extra time and penalties etc...
Mind you he is only 9.  Funny thing is I have better Cobblers conversations with him than many people I've seen at Sixfields over the years!
Report Spam   Logged

Only Gay in the Village??
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2022, 12:37:26 pm »

Much easier for me to get to evening games, and the reduced admission carrot may be grabbed. However I agree with the comments about the competition as a whole.
 My new drinking buddy (my nephew)is not allowed to come with me though as his parents don't want him out too late, and extra time and penalties etc...
Mind you he is only 9.  Funny thing is I have better Cobblers conversations with him than many people I've seen at Sixfields over the years!

Drinking partner of 9yr old Grin
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
therealpattcobb

View Profile
Level 4 100 Posts One year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2022, 14:44:05 pm »

Drinking partner of 9yr old Grin

My steadily decreasing circle of friends that go to The Cobblers is nothing at all to do with me and everything to do with the
 "price is too much"
 "it's cr*p football"
 "it's a cr*p stadium" etc etc.

My little nephew doesn't seem that bothered about all of the above. It may change when he has to pay for himself to get in...
Report Spam   Logged

Only Gay in the Village??
west stand oap

View Profile
2500 Posts Apple User Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2022, 14:52:30 pm »

Not much interest in this game then.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3529

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2022, 15:41:18 pm »

What pies will they have on?
I might go.
Report Spam   Logged
Tabasco Kid

View Profile
5000 Posts Spammer 25 Posts in one day Seventh year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2022, 16:51:09 pm »

What pies will they have on?
I might go.
Whatever was left after the Col U game, reheated.
Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
lordjord

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2022, 17:15:32 pm »

I will be there. Will be interesting to see other members of the squad get minutes, that being said I am fully expecting us to lose.

I am just hoping we can create some chances from open play and continue to develop some patterns of play.
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2022, 17:57:47 pm »

Maxted
Magloire, Guthrie, Lintott, Koiki
Haynes, Cross, Fox, Leonard
Appere, Bowie

Or some combination/formation of those!!

Subs: Burge, Sowerby, Hoskins, Hylton, Pinnock, McWilliams, Abimbola, Dyche
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
CobblerForever

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2022, 18:08:55 pm »

Six of our first team on the bench. I'll never understand sides like the Cobblers (run on a shoe string) not pulling out the stops to go as far as possible in this sort of competition. Every seat sold is additional income and there are incentives on top.
Report Spam   Logged
606 Parklands_Cobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Mobile User
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2022, 18:27:31 pm »

could be something around the 343 tonight:

Maxted
        Magloire Guthrie Haynes
       Lintott  Fox  Leonard  Koiki
            Bowie Appere Cross
Report Spam   Logged
Baldy

View Profile
Search 5000 Posts Combination
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2022, 18:49:01 pm »

We've got this cup in the bag!!!
Report Spam   Logged
Bingers

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day 5000 Posts Avatar
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2022, 18:52:52 pm »

We've got this cup in the bag!!!

FACT
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2015
Dr Feelgood

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2022, 18:54:54 pm »

Im getting a horrible feeling about this game..
Report Spam   Logged

For goodness sake Doc we are NOT going down  Grin   you heard it here 1st  Wink

(I damn well hope that does not come back to haunt me)
Baldy

View Profile
Search 5000 Posts Combination
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2022, 18:56:16 pm »

I'm not
Report Spam   Logged
Mysterious Curle

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Third year Anniversary
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2022, 19:06:45 pm »

Appere leading the line tonight.

Let it rain goals. 
Report Spam   Logged
CobblerForever

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2022, 19:10:58 pm »

Are you able to watch it in the USA or is it just audio coverage ?
Report Spam   Logged
Dr Feelgood

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2022, 19:14:01 pm »

Brady out!!
Report Spam   Logged

Dr Feelgood

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2022, 19:14:38 pm »

Are you able to watch it in the USA or is it just audio coverage ?
Audio but it sounds dire. Use Cobbs World for regular games.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: