The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 21:13:17 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Ivan Toney

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ivan Toney  (Read 3309 times)
Tom

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Mobile User Apple User
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2022, 10:23:13 am »

When Ivan left Newcastle, I thought he'd go a similar way as to how Bunnys big transfer went - but credit to him working his way up (even if it was done partially at the posh! Lips Sealed) , he'll have had to be incredibly strong minded. Well deserved.

I hope he gets some minutes, and manages to shine in them.
Report Spam   Logged

Tabasco Kid

View Profile
5000 Posts Spammer 25 Posts in one day Seventh year Anniversary
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2022, 10:31:50 am »

Ivan has been left out of the squad, to face Italy tonight.
Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
MCHammer

View Profile
Search 1000 Posts Apple User
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2022, 11:04:11 am »

Cracking stuff for Toney to get a call up and credit to him for his self belief and progression that has taken him as far as this.

Is he international standard?  I don't think so personally.  I don't mean that in a bad way I just don't believe he is at that elite level.
Report Spam   Logged
Tom

View Profile
Search Mobile User Apple User
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2022, 11:06:00 am »

Ivan has been left out of the squad, to face Italy tonight.

That's a shame Sad - maybe the next game! It'd be a cool moment to see him on the pitch for England.
Report Spam   Logged

southofthecounty

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2022, 14:26:21 pm »

Ivan was the subject of Thought for the Day on Radio Four this morning. I s*** you not!
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2022, 15:50:03 pm »

Is he international standard?  I don't think so personally.  I don't mean that in a bad way I just don't believe he is at that elite level.

Having watched the last few England games he could hardly have done much worse than the shower of sh1t that have been playing.
If you are looking for a physical centre forward I’m not sure what other options there are! He’s come in for Ollie Watkins and at present is surely a better option.
Report Spam   Logged
southofthecounty

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2022, 16:57:25 pm »

Cracking stuff for Toney to get a call up and credit to him for his self belief and progression that has taken him as far as this.

Two words. Steve Bull.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2022, 10:11:16 am »

He's in today's squad.
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
WadeyCobbler

View Profile
Mobile User Windows User Combination
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2022, 12:05:50 pm »

He's in today's squad.

Let's he gets some minutes. We know what Kane can do. Either play him instead of Kane or with him and see what they can do as a partnership.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2022, 17:56:33 pm »

Not starting...
Report Spam   Logged

bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2022, 18:19:58 pm »

For me, Toney's meteoric rise and Hoskins' meteoric form this season are both salutary reminders that footballers
develop at different times and at different rates.

I rated Toney very highly when he emerged for us and always found it strange that a section of our fanbase didn't rate him and were actively against the idea of him returning on loan despite the fact that his goals were a major reason for our survival in L2 in Wilder's first season. However, did I foresee that he would one day make the England squad? No. I remember writing on here that he was the best header of the ball that I had ever seen at that age but that his finishing with his feet needed work. After some years in the loan wilderness at various L1 clubs, his development from P*sh to now has been nothing sort of phenomenal and is a massive testament to his will to succeed.

Hoskins is another interesting case. A player who appears to be finally fulfilling his potential at the age of 29.
Perhaps it's having a run of games in what I consider to be his best position, as a wide forward in a three; perhaps it's targeted coaching from Brady; perhaps it's becoming a father - whatever it is something has clicked. For me, it boils down to one word: composure. He still has his age-old attributes of pace, close control and phenomenal work rate but they're now allied to a new sense of calmness: a willingness to slow down and pick his spot rather than snatching at a finish, a new tendency to play a simple pass to feet or thread a patient through ball rather than rush to try to play a Hollywood cross-field pass. His decision making has improved immeasurably and we are reaping the rewards.

In fact, that sense of composure and confidence is what both players now appear to have in common and is probably what differentiates a top-level professional from a jobbing lower-league athlete. Both are excellent penalty takers and have started to bring their unerring sense of calm from the spot into the rest of their play.

As a Cobblers fan, I'm enjoying watching both of them and long may it continue. Would love to see Toney come off the bench and play in the World Cup. The lesson for me is: don't write players off or put a ceiling on their potential. Given the right conditions and the right coaching, diamonds can emerge from the rough.
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2022, 19:27:47 pm »

Not starting...

It seems like Harry Kane pretty much has to play every minute of every game under Southgate, what a joke. Would have loved to have seen Toney and Abrahams get a half each.
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2022, 19:34:29 pm »

I rated Toney very highly when he emerged for us and always found it strange that a section of our fanbase didn't rate him and were actively against the idea of him returning on loan

That amazed me too. It feels similar to how some people get really bitter and twisted about an ex.
Report Spam   Logged
the grumpy old man

View Profile
1000 Posts Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2022, 22:56:39 pm »

It seems like Harry Kane pretty much has to play every minute of every game under Southgate, what a joke. Would have loved to have seen Toney and Abrahams get a half each.

It was ridiculous that he didn't give Toney a go, what was the point in him even being in squad if you are not going to give him a chance. When we went 2 - 0 down that was the ideal time to bring him on in what was after all a meaningless fixture.

As for the game, that was just about the worst German side I have ever seen and England were little better. In my view neither side has a hope of winning the World Cup.
Report Spam   Logged
Mysterious Curle

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Third year Anniversary
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2022, 06:32:16 am »

It’s a strange one, we are now going into the WC having only played one CF in the last 3 games. Not a single minute for any of the others. Inevitably we are going to have to change it at some point in the WC, most would have thought one of the games before the tournament would of been a good chance to see what works.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2022, 06:45:45 am »

It’s a strange one, we are now going into the WC having only played one CF in the last 3 games. Not a single minute for any of the others. Inevitably we are going to have to change it at some point in the WC, most would have thought one of the games before the tournament would of been a good chance to see what works.

It is weird, the lack of recent international minutes for an alternate CF.  However Kane gets his goal from a penalty, to add to his record, that Sterling and/or Toney could easily have taken.
The same could be said for the CBs, What other alternate CBs do we have if any of the three are injured or don't get any PL minutes?
Absolutely barking to not give others an opportunity in last nights 'dead rubber'.
Report Spam   Logged

1HorshamCobbler

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Combination
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2022, 07:29:40 am »

It’s why we will never win anything with Southgate in charge, too negative and doesn’t want to take a risk.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2022, 07:50:23 am »

Cheer up Barry Fry.
i imagine IT has to play for England and not just be in the squad for the Fat Borough B****** to get his money .
Report Spam   Logged
Ragdoll Cobbler

View Profile
Linux User Level 5 1000 Posts
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2022, 08:03:33 am »

Cheer up Barry Fry.
i imagine IT has to play for England and not just be in the squad for the Fat Borough B****** to get his money .

According to their chairman, they never included an England appearance clause whatsoever, as they instead opted for another guaranteed 1 million if Brentford stay up for a second season.

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: