The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 12:00:36 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Stockport County

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stockport County  (Read 6583 times)
Fred_NTFC

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Level 6 1000 Posts Search
« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2022, 21:26:30 pm »

We seem to just have a lot more versatility this year, that was a pretty ugly win at times but just as Stockport bullied us in the first-half - so we repaid the favour after the break. Hylton & Bowie changed the dynamic completely.

What's really positive I think is we've been able to cope with a lot of injuries in a way we never would have managed last year, the bench looked a lot stronger today & it showed having game-changers to bring on. I think some of the criticism of Brady being a reactive manager was a bit harsh last season as we had very little in reserve. He actually seems to be becoming pretty adept at working out tactical problems as matches are progressing. Switching Pinnock to wide on the left certainly helped as well, he always seems to play his best football there.

The way we're able to ground out points without really hitting top gear suggests to me that we're going to be hard to stop - but the next month will tell us a lot.
Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2022, 22:02:33 pm »

That simply shows why Appere should be nowhere near the starting 11.

Great result in the end.

Have to presume yet again you were not at the game. Due to Stockports robust style of play which left Hoskins limping in the first half it took the side awhile to adapt to a similar style of play. Under the circumstances was relieved come half time that we were still only a goal down but more importantly had no serious injuries. Come half time JB made the right choices bringing on Bowie and Hylton. The game suited Hylton who dished out as good as he got and thereby changed the dynamics of the game. Hoskins goal was sheer class which gave me the impression it was a half volley. Bowie played his part well often out performing young Leonard. There has been games this season where the circumstances have not suited Hylton and today JB identified one. So for me its horses for causes, in my view Appéré was simply fouled by Horsfall and others as soon as he got the ball. Good substsitutions by JB through out second half.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2022, 23:35:48 pm »

Poor second half but after that we steppes it up a gear. Hoskins the man again! Well done lads, another 3 points!

Hope stockport go back down. Would be hilarious
Just go through that again!
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2022, 00:20:55 am »

The ability and resolve shown to turn a game like that around with a few tweeks is the reason why we are much better outfit this season than last .
The lads really stuck together and fought for each other , and the supporters did the same .
Stockport are a decent side and we properly out fought them and out played them in that second half .
The subs changed the game and we looked a strong side this afternoon .
Report Spam   Logged
Risdene

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Level 4
« Reply #64 on: September 25, 2022, 05:20:36 am »

Great to see Bowie and Hylton lead the line but just as important was switching Hoskins and Pinnock to their natural positions to provide EARLY crosses!
Report Spam   Logged
Letchworthcobbler

View Profile
Level 5 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2022, 07:21:35 am »

Had a look on their forum too. Their last posts they made were very funny. Anyone remember chelsea merchandise in our club shop?

Little club? Says a club that has been conference north for ages 🙄
« Last Edit: September 25, 2022, 08:02:47 am by Letchworthcobbler » Report Spam   Logged

I have nothing to declare except my genius
St Edmundsbury Cobbler

View Profile
Level 6 Search Windows User
« Reply #66 on: September 25, 2022, 07:36:36 am »

Back in the days of Cardozy we had Premier League DVDs on sale in the Club Shop.
Report Spam   Logged

2022/23 Prediction League Champion
2022/23 Guess The Attendance Champion

Claret & White - Nothing Else Matters
1971cobbler

View Profile
Level 5 Search Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #67 on: September 25, 2022, 08:49:46 am »

Hoskins goal was sheer class which gave me the impression it was a half volley.

??

You do know the difference between a volley, a half volley, and a strike from a ball that's rolling on the grass?

Watch the highlights back, and then tell me what Sammy's was.  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Tabasco Kid

View Profile
5000 Posts Spammer 25 Posts in one day Seventh year Anniversary
« Reply #68 on: September 25, 2022, 09:07:48 am »

Had a look on their forum too. Their last posts they made were very funny.

Theyre very bitter arent they? Cmon, northern monkeys, just admit it, you would love to have a player like Hylton in your side. Welcome to League two.
Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
west stand oap

View Profile
2500 Posts Apple User Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #69 on: September 25, 2022, 09:19:10 am »

A vastly improved attendance yesterday of 5632 with 5013 home supporters which in both cases was the highest of the season so far and 941 and 518 respectively higher than last week.

On a rather sour note I see that some Stockport fans complained that our stewards confiscated their sweets as they could not take food or drink into the stadium which I find pathetic.
We have taken cold drinks into every game so far and when it turns colder I always take a flask and we make no attempt to hide these and have done this regularly for many seasons, do we have different rules for visiting fans?.
Report Spam   Logged
FezNTFC

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #70 on: September 25, 2022, 09:22:47 am »

I think some of the criticism of Brady being a reactive manager was a bit harsh last season as we had very little in reserve. He actually seems to be becoming pretty adept at working out tactical problems as matches are progressing. Switching Pinnock to wide on the left certainly helped as well, he always seems to play his best football there.
That's a fair point actually. This year, even with the likes of McWilliams and McGowan on the sidelines, we've got genuine options off the bench at the moment which will surely make it a lot easier for them now to make those tactical changes.

I do think they still wait too long sometimes to switch it up tactically (the Doncaster game springs to mind a few weeks back), but it's being pedantic really because it's virtually their only flaw I can think of. Yesterday they made the subs that needed to be made at half-time and reaped the rewards, because the second half performance was excellent.
Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #71 on: September 25, 2022, 09:28:10 am »

Theyre very bitter arent they? Cmon, northern monkeys, just admit it, you would love to have a player like Hylton in your side. Welcome to League two.

I've just had a look a look too, they are commenting on how their match thread is 31 (now 32) pages long while ours is only 4. Yeah, because we had a bad 45 and then put it right whereas they have all this money to spend and are having a lousy season - I think they have a lot more to ponder than we do!
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
CobblerForever

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 25, 2022, 10:21:31 am »

I've just had a look a look too, they are commenting on how their match thread is 31 (now 32) pages long while ours is only 4. Yeah, because we had a bad 45 and then put it right whereas they have all this money to spend and are having a lousy season - I think they have a lot more to ponder than we do!

The Everton of League Two.
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #73 on: September 25, 2022, 10:36:26 am »

Since Chris Wilder left we have pretty much been a one trick pony without a plan B. We’ve certainly nailed that demon havent we.
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
Carton Lid

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #74 on: September 25, 2022, 10:56:38 am »

Since Chris Wilder left we have pretty much been a one trick pony without a plan B. We’ve certainly nailed that demon havent we.
One more Wilder/Knill thing, I wish we would vary our free kicks occasionally, I know we are very good at set pieces, but the opposition should know what to expect as every one's the same. Could someone ask Jon or Colin to have a look at the 2015/16 DVD and see some of those free kicks, particularly the one at Luton, it was brilliant. It would just give the opposition something else to think about.
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2022, 11:06:57 am »

Just had a read of the Stockport forum, they’re in for a hard season. They think this division is all about rolling out the welcome mat, being gentlemen and damn good sports. It stands out a mile they’ve been out of the league for a fair while. They’re talking about giving Hylton a hard time up at their place, he’ll absolutely love it. Not only got an open invitation into the heads of the back 4, he’s wandered into the heads of virtually the entire support base as well, what a player. We have half our squad injured, didn’t get out of first gear in the first half. Despite that they still barely laid a glove on us, and then steamrollered them from there on in. It just shows spending loads of money doesn’t automatically make a competitive side and they’re proof of that. Average side full of idealistic fans with unrealistic expectations. Should stay up but are a long way from promotion candidates if you ask me.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2022, 11:08:36 am by Melbourne Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
west stand oap

View Profile
2500 Posts Apple User Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #76 on: September 25, 2022, 11:37:46 am »

Last season I posted from time to time how many goals we had scored and conceded in each 15 minute period of the games. There is quite a contrast so far this season in some of the stats as you may recall that were particularly vunerable to conceding goals in the 15 minute period after half time and we have not conceded a single goal in this period this season. We have also not conceded any goals after the 75 minute mark which may show that we are better at closing games out.
Last season we conceded few first half goals and hardly ever were behind at half time this season in the first half we have scored 8 and conceded 7 and in the second half we have scored 13 and conceded 4 so we appear to have become a second half team.
Report Spam   Logged
Dan

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #77 on: September 25, 2022, 11:44:05 am »

To the County fans who seemingly are frequenting our board, there were many comments preseason about how the jump from non league is minimal. Ten games in and the 15 point gap to second and 20 to 1st suggests you guys underestimated the leap 😇

We were garbage for 45 minutes. Respect to Challinor, he’d done his homework and we were hopeless.

But much bigger respect to Brady and CC for proactively changing shape at half time. We cruised to victory after the early Sammy goal and were miles better. Two really good goals and if we’d had four or five, even the most biased among their fan base couldn’t have grumbled.

The laughable comments about time wasting - remember your keeper being “elbowed” and down for three mins in the first half. And us being a small club 😂😂 how long were they in the National league north again?

I’ve got a lot of respect for that club but the new crop of fans they’ve picked up from some successes are an embarrassment.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2013
observer1

View Profile
Level 5 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #78 on: September 25, 2022, 13:28:20 pm »

Just had a read of the Stockport forum, they’re in for a hard season. They think this division is all about rolling out the welcome mat, being gentlemen and damn good sports. It stands out a mile they’ve been out of the league for a fair while. They’re talking about giving Hylton a hard time up at their place, he’ll absolutely love it. Not only got an open invitation into the heads of the back 4, he’s wandered into the heads of virtually the entire support base as well, what a player. We have half our squad injured, didn’t get out of first gear in the first half. Despite that they still barely laid a glove on us, and then steamrollered them from there on in. It just shows spending loads of money doesn’t automatically make a competitive side and they’re proof of that. Average side full of idealistic fans with unrealistic expectations. Should stay up but are a long way from promotion candidates if you ask me.

Post of the week.

I'm also confused as to why the treatment of Horsfall was quote "dreadful." He got some half hearted boos and jeers yes, but it was hardly vitriolic. He also celebrated his goal, albeit not overly exuberantly, so it works both ways surely. Eriksen got a worse reception at Brentford despite all he's been through to get back on a football pitch in the first place!

A second half performance to be proud of yesterday. Bowie in particular impressed me but there were positives all over the pitch. Brady has learnt a lot from last year when we didn't seem to know how to react when things weren't going to plan, and was right to be positively gleeful post-match about the number of points we've accrued from losing positions already this season.

Still early days and don't want to get carried away but we've improved a lot since last year, it's clear to see. We have more identity now; more purpose to our play. I got very tired of hearing opposition managers describe us as this overly physical team reliant on set pieces etc. There's a lot more to this side than that and some genuinely exciting young players are coming through. UTC!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2022, 13:33:11 pm by observer1 » Report Spam   Logged
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #79 on: September 25, 2022, 13:38:17 pm »

I’d like to know where Stockport are spending all their money - granted Horsfall, Camps, Sarcevic and Madden are probably on a fair whack but the rest of their squad looks pretty ordinary.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: