The Hotel End
April 19, 2024, 04:10:12 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Gillingham (a)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gillingham (a)  (Read 5819 times)
Merry Comrade

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Level 3 Topic Starter One year Anniversary
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2022, 17:57:44 pm »

Does anyone know the best place for parking near Priestfield?

I'll be on my mountain bike.
[/You must be crazy Coolio. There is absolutely no doubt that it will be stolen. quote]
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2022, 18:04:15 pm »

I normally park in Railway Street, in the Gillingham Car Park. I intend to do that on Saturday. 5-10 minute walk from the ground. Wink
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Tabasco Kid

View Profile
5000 Posts Spammer 25 Posts in one day Seventh year Anniversary
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2022, 18:48:18 pm »

I find the thought of you in Lycra slightly disturbing. Shocked
Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
guest3548

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2022, 19:41:16 pm »

Surely one of those Moulton folding thingies would be more apt for Oxford? And easier on the train  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2022, 21:19:47 pm »

Surely one of those Moulton folding thingies would be more apt for Oxford? And easier on the train  Wink
What has Oxford got to do with anything?
Report Spam   Logged
guest3548

« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2022, 11:16:56 am »

Nothing really
Report Spam   Logged
CobblerForever

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2022, 12:07:21 pm »

Best left to your vivid imagination.
Report Spam   Logged
west stand oap

View Profile
Level 5 Fifth year Anniversary 2500 Posts
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2022, 13:15:54 pm »

With Koiki out who do we play at left back?. A couple of games ago JB played right back Lintott on the left and then at Chesterfield he went back to square pegs in square holes by playing Haynes who got absolutely roasted, particularly in the first half, when they attacked down their right wing at will and he hardly got a challenge in.
The choice as I see it is that he keeps Haynes in but maybe plays 3 centre backs so the left sided one can offer more protection down that side. Or play with a back 4 and play either right sided Lintott or Odimayo on the left or play Dyche at left back.
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2022, 15:26:46 pm »

With Koiki out who do we play at left back?. A couple of games ago JB played right back Lintott on the left and then at Chesterfield he went back to square pegs in square holes by playing Haynes who got absolutely roasted, particularly in the first half, when they attacked down their right wing at will and he hardly got a challenge in.
The choice as I see it is that he keeps Haynes in but maybe plays 3 centre backs so the left sided one can offer more protection down that side. Or play with a back 4 and play either right sided Lintott or Odimayo on the left or play Dyche at left back.
Think Lintott and Odimayo especially have both been pretty poor in recent games. Odimayo against Newport did absolutely zilch (dying minute aside) but pass back to Leee Buurge or another defender. Agree with Dyche though.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2022, 15:33:58 pm »

The way Dyche puts himself about when playing upfront, there may be an argument with starting him there to 'bash' the opposition back four a bit, before putting someone a bit more subtle on, to take advantage.
Report Spam   Logged

west stand oap

View Profile
Level 5 Fifth year Anniversary 2500 Posts
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2022, 17:57:24 pm »

I think it might be worth playing Dyche at left back, whenever called upon he hasn't let us down and could be better than the alternatives.
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2022, 18:41:16 pm »

A couple of posters have already done their bit with stats so i'll keep my preview on the brief side.....

Top scorers in the division visit the lowest scorers in the division..... Gills currently sitting in 22nd place in the table, just two wins from their 16 league games so far, and just six goals scored. Defensively though they have conceded 17 which is two fewer than us!
Gillingham are back playing in League Two after nine seasons in the next division up, and they've found it a struggle this season. Those two wins have both come at home, both by a scoreline of 1-0, Rochdale the victims in the Gills first game of the season, Sutton were the last to taste defeat at Priestfield on 1st October. Has to be said though that Gillingham are unbeaten in their last five at home in all competitions, that Sutton game was followed up with a win over Brighton's U21's in the Papa Johns and then a draw against Colchester in the same competition with then two league draws against Stevenage and Barrow.
They didn't progress in the Papa Johns despite picking up five points in the group stage, they drew at AFC Fylde in the FA Cup with a replay to follow next week, and of course they are into the last 16 of the Carabao Cup following a penalty shootout win at Premier League Brentford on Tuesday night. Prior to this they won at AFC Wimbledon and then beat Exeter, also on penalties.

Neil Harris is the current Gills manager, he took over from Steve Evans (after a short stint by caretaker Steve Lovell) in January and was unable to stop the slide into League 2.....he has recorded just nine wins in his 41 games in charge.

Goals in the squad have been hard to come by as already indicated, top scorers Elkan Baggott and Scott Kashket have two goals apiece. Lewis Walker has scored three in the EFL Trophy but is yet to find the net in the League.

No Cobblers connections in their squad, although they do have a midfielder by the name of Shaun Williams......! Their top scorer of the past two seasons, former Cobbler Vadaine Oliver is now plying his trade at Bradford.

An extensive head to head record between the two clubs, we lead with 53 wins to their 41. We have won in five of our last ten visits to the Priestfield, the last of those wins came in 2017 when Matt Grimes and Daniel Powell goals helped us to a 2-1 win. Our last visit ended in a draw, Oliver unsurprisingly on the scoresheet for the Gills with a second scored by Olly Lee, but two goals in the last 11 minutes from Ryan Edmondson (his second and last Cobblers goal) and Fraser Horsfall gave us a point in a game played behind closed doors in April 2021.

Third season EFL ref Declan Bourne is down to be the man in the middle....he likes his cards.... 36 yellow and three reds in just eight games this season, take note Guthrie and Hoskins who are still walking the disciplinary tightrope! We last saw Mr Bourne in our 1-0 home defeat to Crawley back in January and before that he was in charge of our 4-0 drubbing at Oxford in December 2020. This would appear to be the first time he has taken charge of a game involving Gillingham.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/07, 2007/08, 2011/12, 2012/13, 2018/19 and 2023/24
Coolcat

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2022, 18:49:46 pm »

After their smash and grab win at Brentford, actually that is incorrect - simply a grab, think parity should be restored! Burger eating Mockney (they really are, some of them!) Gills fans will be cocky...3-1 win for the Cobblers!

Please, please, no more ridiculous online inane posts about the Brian Moore Stand sold out, do we purchase Gordon Road Stand? Is it covered? Blah blah...
Just purchase away section tickets ffs!
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2022, 20:33:19 pm »

A couple of posters have already done their bit with stats so i'll keep my preview on the brief side.....

Brief report he said................... Grin

Very readable report all the same.

Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2022, 20:39:31 pm »

Brief report he said................... Grin

Very readable report all the same.

Once I started……!
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/07, 2007/08, 2011/12, 2012/13, 2018/19 and 2023/24
Mysterious Curle

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Third year Anniversary
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2022, 11:04:26 am »

A few injury concerns for the Gills I hear:

Williams.
Reeves.
Olly Lee.

We might need to revert to the illness excuse if both sides have injuries.
Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2022, 11:33:22 am »

Left back is a problem with Koiki out. Haynes looks OK going forward but is very lightweight defensively and seems to get targeted as a weak link when he plays. Dyche might not be a bad shout - let him shore up that side of defense and give Pinnock free reign to get forward in front of him.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2022, 11:48:06 am »

Left back is a problem with Koiki out. Haynes looks OK going forward but is very lightweight defensively and seems to get targeted as a weak link when he plays. Dyche might not be a bad shout - let him shore up that side of defense and give Pinnock free reign to get forward in front of him.

True, but teams were also targeting Koiki when he was playing.
Report Spam   Logged

BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2022, 12:00:04 pm »

True, but teams were also targeting Koiki when he was playing.

Oh, his defensive positioning is awful, the difference is he can (usually) get back to recover!
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2022, 17:28:36 pm »

Are we venturing into must win territory or is it too early for that? I have noticed that our slightly dodgy run has coincided with a lack of effectiveness from Leonard - whether the opposition have targeted him, it is just a natural loss of form from a very young player or he is being played too deep who knows, possibly a combination of all 3?
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: