The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 11:41:03 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

January 2023 Transfer Window

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... 53   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: January 2023 Transfer Window  (Read 68460 times)
Tabasco Kid

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
5000 Posts Spammer 25 Posts in one day Seventh year Anniversary
« Reply #640 on: January 27, 2023, 08:04:04 am »

So, is he any good?

JB has tried to sign him 3 times so I guess he is!?
As you quoted me, I will reply. I received two text messages, one saying that he was a championship midfielder, and the other naming him. And to be honest I know nothing whatsoever about him. We will just have to wait and see.
I have not received any texts about strikers or defenders though..
Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
lordjord

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #641 on: January 27, 2023, 08:29:25 am »

I always like these sort of signings, high potential upside and due to our strength in that area there isnt a huge amount of pressure to come in and make an instant impact, even though I obviously hope he does.

First thing you notice is he seems to be very well built, I feel like we can be a bit easy to play against at times so another physical presence will definitely help us. Also it seems like one of Fox/Sowerby/McWilliams is always out so its good to have another option.

General consensus from Barnsley fans I have seen is that he is much more suited to playing in a CM role rather than a RWB which seemingly they were trying him in more this season.

Another lengthy contract but if JB has been after him for 3 windows clearly they see the value there. For our club to really move forward we need to keep developing young players and generating decent money for them so hopefully this is one potential player we can do that with.

Welcome aboard Will!
Report Spam   Logged
Clarity

View Profile
1000 Posts Fifth year Anniversary Search
« Reply #642 on: January 27, 2023, 08:33:28 am »

Hondermarck, get set.... Go!
Grin
Report Spam   Logged
west stand oap

View Profile
2500 Posts Apple User Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #643 on: January 27, 2023, 09:27:27 am »

Personally I would have no problem in "signing another child from a Prem U23's"  as with over half of the season gone the 2 we signed in the summer (Leonard & Bowie) have so far produced 100 times more than "the Division 2 signing of the season" who has produced very little and appears to be stealing a living.
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #644 on: January 27, 2023, 10:17:56 am »

Personally I would have no problem in "signing another child from a Prem U23's"  as with over half of the season gone the 2 we signed in the summer (Leonard & Bowie) have so far produced 100 times more than "the Division 2 signing of the season" who has produced very little and appears to be stealing a living.
You seem a bit dull of understanding, it’s quite hard to influence a game when the manager doesn’t pick you and your on the bench, unless you know differently?
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Mysterious Curle

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Third year Anniversary
« Reply #645 on: January 27, 2023, 10:27:51 am »

You seem a bit dull of understanding, it’s quite hard to influence a game when the manager doesn’t pick you and your on the bench, unless you know differently?

Grin
Report Spam   Logged
west stand oap

View Profile
2500 Posts Apple User Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #646 on: January 27, 2023, 10:47:38 am »

Manny, the trouble is when he does come on he does not influence the game. It is accepted that he cannot play 90 minutes so he is either going to start and then get subbed or left on the bench to bring on to make an impact which he has failed to do. When he does come on he needs to concentrate more on contributing to our game than trying to wind up the opposition and yapping at the referee, he probably has the worst rate of yellow cards per minutes played than any of our players. I think so far he has hit the post once and your old favourite BAS had a better record. It becomes difficult to defend the indefensible.
Report Spam   Logged
the grumpy old man

View Profile
1000 Posts Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #647 on: January 27, 2023, 10:51:31 am »

I must admit I have never heard of the lad myself, but he has played a few games for Barnsley in both the Championship and League 1 so they obviously saw something in him, as indeed does JB with a 2 and a half year contract.  We have a good reputation for bringing young players on and I see no reason why this shouldn't be the case here. I shall look forward to seeing him play when he gets his chance.

Welcome to the Cobblers Will.
Report Spam   Logged
Glastonbury Cobbler

View Profile
2500 Posts Windows User Combination
« Reply #648 on: January 27, 2023, 11:26:35 am »

I agree Manny, unless the lad is given a run of 7 or 8 games how can he be expected to do much with 20 mins one week, 5 mins the next. I watched him at Swindon and he changed the game when he came on that day
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #649 on: January 27, 2023, 11:42:51 am »

I agree Manny, unless the lad is given a run of 7 or 8 games how can he be expected to do much with 20 mins one week, 5 mins the next. I watched him at Swindon and he changed the game when he came on that day
I am of much the same opinion on this. If it were me I would give a player of this pedigree a run in the side and play to his strengths. I’m feeling like he’s a real asset wasted, bit of love, bit of time and he could be just what we need after all.
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #650 on: January 27, 2023, 11:47:27 am »

Manny, the trouble is when he does come on he does not influence the game. It is accepted that he cannot play 90 minutes so he is either going to start and then get subbed or left on the bench to bring on to make an impact which he has failed to do. When he does come on he needs to concentrate more on contributing to our game than trying to wind up the opposition and yapping at the referee, he probably has the worst rate of yellow cards per minutes played than any of our players. I think so far he has hit the post once and your old favourite BAS had a better record. It becomes difficult to defend the indefensible.

The problem with Hylton is that he is painfully slow. Some time weeks ago he had the opportunity of a clear run on goal but was easily closed out. He did not seem to be able to coordinate speed of thought with that crucial ingredient....anticipation. Clearly to some of us on here he does
not fit into the current athletic ethos of the management; so why was he signed in the first case. The majority on here appeared to support the arrival of Hylton which now gives way to the hindsight supremists.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 11:54:43 am by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Mysterious Curle

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Third year Anniversary
« Reply #651 on: January 27, 2023, 11:48:44 am »

I am of much the same opinion on this. If it were me I would give a player of this pedigree a run in the side and play to his strengths. I’m feeling like he’s a real asset wasted, bit of love, bit of time and he could be just what we need after all.

Agreed, but I guess we aren't in a league position where we can afford to experiment for a run of games.  
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #652 on: January 27, 2023, 11:52:29 am »

Agreed, but I guess we aren't in a league position where we can afford to experiment for a run of games.  
No one in our squad has the same goal scoring record an Hylton FACT.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Glastonbury Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #653 on: January 27, 2023, 11:52:34 am »

Coming off the back of a run of poor results, you could argue now is exactly the time to give him a run
Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #654 on: January 27, 2023, 12:16:06 pm »

I was really excited when we signed Hylton and I'm not ready to write him off just yet, but I don't think there is anyone who won't admit that he's been a massive disappointment so far, is there?

He looks slow, disinterested, can't force his way into the team and even when he does get on the pitch he lets himself down by getting booked (or worse) within minutes of coming on, usually for ridiculous pieces of gamesmanship or for mouthing off at the officials. He plays on the edge so will pick up bookings, but if he comes on and picks up an entirety unnecessary booking straight away then he can't play his natural game as he then risks a second yellow.

I said a while back that it might be time to give him a start, but to be honest I can see why Brady doesn't want to risk it.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #655 on: January 27, 2023, 12:38:59 pm »

Plus, if we do manage to get this elusive striker before the window closes then Hylton will find himself even further down the pecking order.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #656 on: January 27, 2023, 12:41:40 pm »

Coming off the back of a run of poor results, you could argue now is exactly the time to give him a run

Its all very well suggesting giving an ageing player an extended run in the side. If you or anybody can come up with a clear vision of tactics even strategy on how we can accommodate a player who by common consent appears to be slow in speed and thought. He has to justify his inclusion and at the moment he simply is not doing this. He has been given opportunities; albeit with a maximun of 20min cameos but you might have thought some semblance of form or promise would shine through.

PS Since GPC statistic analysis it appears Hylton has been given a number of starts but inevitably subbed after 60/70 mins. As much as I would love Hylton to score a few it appears unlikely. Perhaps the tide will turn tomorrow and that will please me at least immensely.                   ,
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 22:01:16 pm by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Glastonbury Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #657 on: January 27, 2023, 12:47:16 pm »

Its all very well suggesting giving an ageing player an extended run in the side. If you or anybody can come up with a clear vision of tactics even strategy on how we can accommodate a player who by common consent appears to be slow in speed and thought. He has to justify his inclusion and at the moment he simply is not doing this. He has been given opportunities; albeit with a maximun of 20min cameos but you might have thought some semblance of form or promise would shine through.                      

The same player that has spent much of his career playing at a much higher level than us and as Manny said has a significantly better goals per game ratio than any of our current squad at a far higher level. Think you've answered your own question.

Yes I've been disappointed with what he's produced up to now, but has he been given a fair crack at the whip and run in the team? No imo
Report Spam   Logged
FatPunk

View Profile
Level 3 One year Anniversary 10 Posts
« Reply #658 on: January 27, 2023, 13:17:52 pm »

The same player that has spent much of his career playing at a much higher level than us and as Manny said has a significantly better goals per game ratio than any of our current squad at a far higher level. Think you've answered your own question.

Yes I've been disappointed with what he's produced up to now, but has he been given a fair crack at the whip and run in the team? No imo

Agree with the sentiments, mind you you would think Radio Northampton would ask Brady why he isn't getting the game time to prove himself, at least we would know if there is an underlying problem fitness wise or whether Brady isn't impressed with his work.

Such a shame to have someone on a potentially huge salary languishing on the bench. I do wonder what happened to the meticulous recruitment process in Hylton's case

Report Spam   Logged
West Stand

View Profile
500 Posts Search Combination
« Reply #659 on: January 27, 2023, 13:52:30 pm »

Sam Hoskins has scored more goals above League 2 level than Danny Hylton. FACT.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... 53   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: