The Hotel End
April 19, 2024, 12:58:50 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

January 2023 Transfer Window

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 53   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: January 2023 Transfer Window  (Read 69363 times)
guest3063

Badges: (View All)
« Reply #140 on: December 31, 2022, 10:23:29 am »

I predict McGowan, Dyche, Sowerby will sign, Koiki will be off.

McGowan didn't look happy after being substituted on Thursday. I may be wrong but I think he went straight down the tunnel. He could be struggling to keep hold of his place in the team, I thought Magloire looked very good, he was much stronger and quicker.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3063

« Reply #141 on: December 31, 2022, 10:37:23 am »

I think Harvey Lintott is also out of contract but with an option for a further year. I am sure this will be triggered.

On another note, what is the point of signing Josh Harrop? If when losing a game he doesn't come on, when will he? Put him on and see how good he is, otherwise what's the point in signing him in the first place.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3551

« Reply #142 on: December 31, 2022, 11:30:11 am »

He ain't fit.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3063

« Reply #143 on: December 31, 2022, 11:33:49 am »

He ain't fit.

Not fit enough for 10 or 15 minutes? What was the point in having him on the bench at all then?
Report Spam   Logged
Tabasco Kid

View Profile
5000 Posts Spammer 25 Posts in one day Seventh year Anniversary
« Reply #144 on: December 31, 2022, 11:43:48 am »

He ain't fit.
Bollox. He trained with us for a couple of weeks, before signing a contract. His fitness levels would have been evaluated.
You do not offer a short term contract, to somebody who "aint fit". I raised this point a few days ago.
Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
guest3548

« Reply #145 on: December 31, 2022, 11:58:07 am »

There was a similar situation with the fella last season, the one that ended up in Scotland, signed on a short term contract
Report Spam   Logged
guest3063

« Reply #146 on: December 31, 2022, 12:24:18 pm »

There was a similar situation with the fella last season, the one that ended up in Scotland, signed on a short term contract

Ryan Nolan?
Report Spam   Logged
Mysterious Curle

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Third year Anniversary
« Reply #147 on: December 31, 2022, 12:52:51 pm »

McGowan didn't look happy after being substituted on Thursday. I may be wrong but I think he went straight down the tunnel. He could be struggling to keep hold of his place in the team, I thought Magloire looked very good, he was much stronger and quicker.

He’s a run of the mill league 2 right back, very easy to replace.

Lintott and Magloire are more than adequate.

I’m not sure what JBs fascination is with focusing on extending the contracts of standard league 2 players that have contributed to us remaining in the division for the last 2/3 years. If we don’t look to better ourselves we will never go anywhere.

I think the last contract extension was Pinnock. We’ve just extended his contract for 2.5 years. He’s struggling to get in the side now with a kid on loan from Fulham seen at the better option. What happens if we go up? We’re left with a squad of players not up-to the standard of the league we’re playing in.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3548

« Reply #148 on: December 31, 2022, 15:17:11 pm »

Teachers Pet, that's the gent in question
Report Spam   Logged
Arminder Shwami

View Profile
100 Posts One year Anniversary 50 Posts
« Reply #149 on: December 31, 2022, 16:52:25 pm »

He’s a run of the mill league 2 right back

Blimey, think we might agree on something!
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #150 on: December 31, 2022, 16:59:34 pm »

I’m not sure what JBs fascination is with focusing on extending the contracts of standard league 2 players that have contributed to us remaining in the division for the last 2/3 years. If we don’t look to better ourselves we will never go anywhere.

I think the last contract extension was Pinnock. We’ve just extended his contract for 2.5 years. He’s struggling to get in the side now with a kid on loan from Fulham seen at the better option. What happens if we go up? We’re left with a squad of players not up-to the standard of the league we’re playing in, or be stuck with players preventing us signing the appropriate level of player.

I have similar thoughts.
We need a team to get us out of this division.
Then we need a team to maintain us in the third division.
A lot of the current players are not the latter therefore committing them to long term contracts isn't as beneficial as others may think.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2022, 17:03:41 pm by Deepcut Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
CobblerForever

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 31, 2022, 17:21:02 pm »

The stadium isn't big enough (or in a decent enough state) to sustain League One football. The relevant people will know this and have put together their calculations to justify their approach as it is. Doing the best with the current squad, improving it where possible within a tight budget.

Except when there was Chinese money to invest when have our current owners ploughed big money into making us a League One proposition? The Goode money was not reinvested. Neither was the Carney money (as far as I can gather).

We currently sell virtually all the best viewing seats at Sixfields so other than raising prices at a time of a cost of living crisis how do we propose generating the income for sustaining League One football?

PS I had one of the best seats in the East Stand last season (saw all 23 home games) - end of aisle, near the centre. Very good view, got absolutely soaked at least 5 times.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2022, 17:25:02 pm by CobblerForever » Report Spam   Logged
Carton Lid

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #152 on: December 31, 2022, 19:48:31 pm »

The stadium isn't big enough (or in a decent enough state) to sustain League One football. The relevant people will know this and have put together their calculations to justify their approach as it is. Doing the best with the current squad, improving it where possible within a tight budget.

Except when there was Chinese money to invest when have our current owners ploughed big money into making us a League One proposition? The Goode money was not reinvested. Neither was the Carney money (as far as I can gather).

We currently sell virtually all the best viewing seats at Sixfields so other than raising prices at a time of a cost of living crisis how do we propose generating the income for sustaining League One football?

PS I had one of the best seats in the East Stand last season (saw all 23 home games) - end of aisle, near the centre. Very good view, got absolutely soaked at least 5 times.

We don't want people coming on here pointing out facts, it will upset all the people with their heads buried in the sand  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: December 31, 2022, 23:22:48 pm by Carton Lid » Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #153 on: December 31, 2022, 20:44:37 pm »

I think the last contract extension was Pinnock. We’ve just extended his contract for 2.5 years. He’s struggling to get in the side now with a kid on loan from Fulham seen at the better option. What happens if we go up? We’re left with a squad of players not up-to the standard of the league we’re playing in.

I am just trying to get a grip on your opinion, particularly on McGowan and also Pinnock. I agree that McGowan is not as yet up to the standard of season ‘21 & ‘22 but of course he has been off for some time with a serious injury. However McGowan in season 21/22 silenced his critics with a series of consistent displays.
My opinion is that JB probably knows what he is doing, he is the expert whilst we are not. We are of course all entitled to our opinions/replies
Now on Pinnock, he has certainly hit a run of indifferent form but has long been considered, at least on here an essential part of the team! Most players suffer a loss of form so Pinnock could still regain/achieve League 1 form. Perhaps your real target JB?
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 31, 2022, 21:49:40 pm »

The Stadium needs a clean up. …..Yes
Stadium not big enough …….  and neither are the crowds at least 10% down on last season
Prefer not to comment on the Chinese Money
….   Would say at guess that running this Club is not cheap with the new signings plus bigger salaries!
If people want a special seat just book a few weeks in advance. I used to, not a special fan just a supporter!
Report Spam   Logged

Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #155 on: January 01, 2023, 00:26:33 am »

Can you lot who want to talk redev, go back to the appropriate redev thread?  Cool
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Youarenicetome

View Profile
Level 2 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #156 on: January 01, 2023, 07:55:21 am »

There's a few very simplistic, reactionary comments on here regarding player contracts.
First off there standard between league one and two isn't as black and white some people are suggesting. Particularly considering our budget won't change massively (possibly 20 percent). People talk about it like we get promoted and suddenly we can attract a whole different level of player. There's some really big clubs in league 1, who we will clearly never compete with financially. There's another 8-10 clubs who we aren't far away from in terms of size and budget. We're never going to get promoted and suddenly start competing with the likes of Ipswich for players. To simply label players league 1 or league 2 players isn't very clever. There's obviously plenty of players on good money in league 2 who could play for league 1 teams.
Based on last years form, and considering our realistic budget should we go up, I'd happily have McGowan and Pinnock in the team/squad. The same applies if we don't get promoted.
We are primarily trying to get out of league two - even with a good season, this is never guaranteed. We have to sign players to do this first. When we do sign players who perform well at this level and appear to be good characters, it's obvious to try and extend their contracts. People are very keen to over simplify these things. Brady and the team will obviously be considering which league we're likely to end up in when deciding on contract extensions. They would also get criticised if the majority or our players were out of contract in the summer (whichever league we are in).
The last 18 months of recruitment has been fantastic. People have short memories. There's a logic around so much of what Brady is doing which I can't remember seeing in other managers for ages.
Report Spam   Logged
TPFKA Marvo

View Profile
1000 Posts Spammer 25 Posts in one day 500 Posts
« Reply #157 on: January 01, 2023, 08:32:15 am »

and neither are the crowds at least 10% down on last season

Average league attendance 2021-22 = 5366
Average League attendance 2022-23 = 5326

Where do you get the 10% from?Huh?Huh?

NOTE: Once added, the attendance at tomorrows game will mean the average for this season will be higher than last.
Report Spam   Logged

It's all about balance.
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 01, 2023, 08:41:50 am »

There's a few very simplistic, reactionary comments on here regarding player contracts.
First off there standard between league one and two isn't as black and white some people are suggesting. Particularly considering our budget won't change massively (possibly 20 percent). People talk about it like we get promoted and suddenly we can attract a whole different level of player. There's some really big clubs in league 1, who we will clearly never compete with financially. There's another 8-10 clubs who we aren't far away from in terms of size and budget. We're never going to get promoted and suddenly start competing with the likes of Ipswich for players. To simply label players league 1 or league 2 players isn't very clever. There's obviously plenty of players on good money in league 2 who could play for league 1 teams.
Based on last years form, and considering our realistic budget should we go up, I'd happily have McGowan and Pinnock in the team/squad. The same applies if we don't get promoted.
We are primarily trying to get out of league two - even with a good season, this is never guaranteed. We have to sign players to do this first. When we do sign players who perform well at this level and appear to be good characters, it's obvious to try and extend their contracts. People are very keen to over simplify these things. Brady and the team will obviously be considering which league we're likely to end up in when deciding on contract extensions. They would also get criticised if the majority or our players were out of contract in the summer (whichever league we are in).
The last 18 months of recruitment has been fantastic. People have short memories. There's a logic around so much of what Brady is doing which I can't remember seeing in other managers for ages.

I hope those who are quite happy to criticise players, management and even on the playing budget take this well presented opinion into account when coming up with their own unrealistic comments. Big ask I know particularly for those with short memories and nothing ‘upstairs’ Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 01, 2023, 08:48:02 am »

Average league attendance 2021-22 = 5366
Average League attendance 2022-23 = 5326

Where do you get the 10% from?Huh?Huh?

NOTE: Once added, the attendance at tomorrows game will mean the average for this season will be higher than last.

Fair point; meant to say away support has declined. Yes/No?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 53   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: