The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 09:13:09 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

January 2023 Transfer Window

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... 53   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: January 2023 Transfer Window  (Read 68285 times)
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #460 on: January 23, 2023, 09:24:37 am »

I love a stat more than most. But do you really believe that we would be performing better without the top scorer in the EFL? He is also currently pretty much our only goal threat. You would rather see a front 3 of Appere, Bowie and Pinnock?
Cool

Yes he does!
As Marcus Aurelius said ‘Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth’  - AD 180. Top Roman Emperor and a stoic. Fact Cool
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: January 23, 2023, 09:30:43 am »

Orient have x2 centre halves out for a good period and sign x2 very good replacements .
We could barely field a centre half on saturday due to injuries and cannot get a replacement in .
It questions the ambition of this club in my view .
Plenty of media bluff but where’s the evidence .

Can you explain how they managed to lose 3-0 on Saturday with at least one defender all over the place?
Report Spam   Logged

guest2995

« Reply #462 on: January 23, 2023, 09:36:30 am »

Can you explain how they managed to lose 3-0 on Saturday with at least one defender all over the place?
No clue whatsoever - what’s it got to do with me or NTFC ?
I suggest the Orient site may be of more use to you
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: January 23, 2023, 09:45:23 am »

So KT says there are funds available, JB says he won't panic and bring in players just for the sake of it, we have a structure etc etc......

Is this all just hot air? We (the club) are seen to be extending contracts of both players and management.

Either we are looking for players and there is no money available to bring anyone in....or we are not even looking for more players. Which do we think it is?

I get the impression there is money but we have competition. From what I have seen so far is that in the main a lot of League 2 Clubs are investing in mediocre talent. I try to remember my Fathers advice ‘A fool and their Money are soon parted’. Harsh but true!
Report Spam   Logged

Worthless Recluse

Keep it up, keep it up.

View Profile
One year Anniversary Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #464 on: January 23, 2023, 09:56:18 am »

Cool

Yes he does!
As Marcus Aurelius said ‘Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth’  - AD 180. Top Roman Emperor and a stoic. Fact Cool
You didn't see what you just did there, did you?
Report Spam   Logged

HanleyplayedFender.
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: January 23, 2023, 10:04:57 am »

No clue whatsoever - what’s it got to do with me or NTFC ?
I suggest the Orient site may be of more use to you

You have missed the point/question I made! Either you are bluffing; you made the statement and now refuse to own up to it?
Report Spam   Logged

guest2995

« Reply #466 on: January 23, 2023, 10:16:49 am »

You have missed the point/question I made! Either you are bluffing; you made the statement and now refuse to own up to it?

What the hell are you on about ?
I refuse to own up to what and am bluffing about what ?
Orient signed two centre halves this window - one of which we tried to sign in the summer from Rotherham.
We are desperate and cannot compete / have proper funds available .
Orient losing 3.0 has got nothing to do with me .
Report Spam   Logged
TPFKA Marvo

View Profile
1000 Posts Spammer 25 Posts in one day 500 Posts
« Reply #467 on: January 23, 2023, 10:29:22 am »

I love a stat more than most. But do you really believe that we would be performing better without the top scorer in the EFL? He is also currently pretty much our only goal threat. You would rather see a front 3 of Appere, Bowie and Pinnock?

The facts are this season in the league:

With Hoskins playing. W10 D6 L5 GF32. That's an average of 1.7pts per games and 1.5 goals per game.

Without Hoskins: W3 D1 L1 GF8. That's an average of 2pts per game and 1.6 goals per game.

Now you can opine as much as you like but those are the facts and they are indisputable.

So to answer your question, do I really believe we would be performing better without Hoskins, my response would be based on the facts, so yes, because that's exactly what we have done.

Note: What those stats don't show is that those games without Hoskins were all away from home and we were up against sides in 1st, 2nd, 6th, 7th & 11th. Remarkable performances.

Report Spam   Logged

It's all about balance.
Risdene

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Level 4
« Reply #468 on: January 23, 2023, 10:40:17 am »

One of the main plus points about the club currently is their ability to keep transfer speculation in house! Whilst frustrating for a fans forum 'rumour's thread, it is professional.

The only time we can judge any business is February 1st, which obviously is too late to rectify any shortcomings!

Over to JB.
Report Spam   Logged
DavCobb

View Profile
Search One year Anniversary 1000 Posts
« Reply #469 on: January 23, 2023, 10:44:54 am »

City do OK without Haaland. We may as well swap him with Hoskins.
Report Spam   Logged
lordjord

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #470 on: January 23, 2023, 10:58:47 am »

With Hoskins playing. W10 D6 L5 GF32. That's an average of 1.7pts per games and 1.5 goals per game.

Without Hoskins: W3 D1 L1 GF8. That's an average of 2pts per game and 1.6 goals per game.

Now you can opine as much as you like but those are the facts and they are indisputable.

So to answer your question, do I really believe we would be performing better without Hoskins, my response would be based on the facts, so yes, because that's exactly what we have done.

Note: What those stats don't show is that those games without Hoskins were all away from home and we were up against sides in 1st, 2nd, 6th, 7th & 11th. Remarkable performances.

Fair enough, we are all entitled to our opinions after all. I dont want to derail this threat too much (not that there are any rumours for us to discuss anyway!), but Hoskins currently has 6 more league goals than Hylton, Bowie, Pinnock, Appere and Eppiah combined. I appreciate we did play very well in those games without Sam, but currently no one else is stepping us with the goals regularly to keep us in the top 3. Hopefully we see a new central striker in the next week come in either way.
Report Spam   Logged
MCHammer

View Profile
Search 1000 Posts Apple User
« Reply #471 on: January 23, 2023, 11:03:42 am »

Either we are looking for players and there is no money available to bring anyone in....or we are not even looking for more players. Which do we think it is?

Probably neither looking at what we know so far.  There are more than two options don't you think?

Are the players we want currently available?  Have we so far been beaten to the signings we would have liked through either financial muscle, location, what division we play in etc.

Seems quite a simplistic binary choice you are making?

Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #472 on: January 23, 2023, 11:17:55 am »

https://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/sport/football/the-current-contract-situation-of-every-cobblers-player-3997244

Who will we need to replace and when?
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
MCHammer

View Profile
Search 1000 Posts Apple User
« Reply #473 on: January 23, 2023, 11:24:12 am »

Absolutely right .
If that game had been played on Saturday , you would have seen how desperate we are .
It wasn’t and we got away with it for a week .
The team needs strengthening and everyone around us is doing so .
If funds were available , we would have signed a few by now .
There is no investment going into this club at all on the playing side and it needs challenging .

I just don't agree with the last two sentences of this.  I've no inside knowledge of any great level on the playing side but the facts in the public domain just don't back up "no investment at all" in the playing side.

We've paid fees for players where needed.  There are some players in the squad who will clearly be on decent money.  We've signed nearly all of the important members of the current squad to longer contracts.  The current squad is stronger and has more depth than last season.  We've locked up the whole management team on longer contracts.  We've invested decent money, for us, on the training facilities and the pitch at Sixfields.  I also have no doubt we will bring in a couple of players before the window closes but I'd much rather they were the right ones than just anyone.

Isn't it possible we have funds available but just haven't been able to get our targets so far?

For the first time in probably most of my nearly 40 years of supporting the club there seems to be a cohesive plan and structure on the playing side of the club.  I'm sure it's not perfect and will improve further.  I'm sure EVERYONE would love MORE funding.  There are plenty of things to be critical about and need challenging but I think believe it's a far more nuanced situation than you are presenting.
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #474 on: January 23, 2023, 11:38:55 am »

There are lies, damn lies...then there is Marvo!

R.Nixon or Marcus Aurelius...I forget now!  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
DavCobb

View Profile
Search One year Anniversary 1000 Posts
« Reply #475 on: January 23, 2023, 11:44:59 am »

I just don't agree with the last two sentences of this.  I've no inside knowledge of any great level on the playing side but the facts in the public domain just don't back up "no investment at all" in the playing side.

We've paid fees for players where needed.  There are some players in the squad who will clearly be on decent money.  We've signed nearly all of the important members of the current squad to longer contracts.  The current squad is stronger and has more depth than last season.  We've locked up the whole management team on longer contracts.  We've invested decent money, for us, on the training facilities and the pitch at Sixfields.  I also have no doubt we will bring in a couple of players before the window closes but I'd much rather they were the right ones than just anyone.

Isn't it possible we have funds available but just haven't been able to get our targets so far?

For the first time in probably most of my nearly 40 years of supporting the club there seems to be a cohesive plan and structure on the playing side of the club.  I'm sure it's not perfect and will improve further.  I'm sure EVERYONE would love MORE funding.  There are plenty of things to be critical about and need challenging but I think believe it's a far more nuanced situation than you are presenting.

Good post.
We can’t be expected to sign countless players due to injuries.
The biggest OG was clearly Hylton, who probably nicks the wages of two decent players.
There is all sorts KT can be accused of but we definitely have a competitive playing budget.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3548

« Reply #476 on: January 23, 2023, 11:46:32 am »

It's not about "not being able to get people in" it's about getting the right people in, it's too simple to lambast the club and the owners every time something doesn't quite fit your agenda or mindset. If funds are available, what is wrong with waiting a little longer for a signing? There's another week of January left
Report Spam   Logged
606 Parklands_Cobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Mobile User
« Reply #477 on: January 23, 2023, 11:51:07 am »

sounds like sowerby has signed a new contract.
Report Spam   Logged
ntfclad

View Profile
Windows User Search Combination
« Reply #478 on: January 23, 2023, 11:57:14 am »

Nothing on incomings currently but Sowerby has signed a new deal and will be announced this week
Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #479 on: January 23, 2023, 11:59:28 am »

There's a brilliant temporary exhibition at Bletchley Park all about data at the moment. I'd thoroughly recommended a visit if you haven't been, but in one of the displays they use these graphs as an example:

One is a bad news story, the other is a good news story. The truth is though, the underlying data is identical. As are the graphs, actually - they are just flipped over, given a different colour and a different title.

Data is data. It can be 100% accurate but it's the interpretation of the data that gives it meaning.

Edit: in case anyone is interested: https://bletchleypark.org.uk/event/the-art-of-data/
« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 12:04:50 pm by BackOfTheNet » Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... 53   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: