The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 16:44:06 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

January 2023 Transfer Window

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... 53   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: January 2023 Transfer Window  (Read 68318 times)
guest2995

Badges: (View All)
« Reply #480 on: January 23, 2023, 12:06:27 pm »

As i said at the beginning of the window - let’s see exactly what funds are available and the quality of player  that we get in .
Bearing in mind , there is a real need right now for a fit centre half and nothing is on the horizon .
It’s also clear certain players do not fit the manager’s plans and so are out the frame .

Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #481 on: January 23, 2023, 12:07:04 pm »

https://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/sport/football/brady-will-not-panic-buy-as-cobblers-go-through-their-toughest-period-of-the-season-3994608

JB will not panic buy to replace those who are injured.
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
MCHammer

View Profile
Search 1000 Posts Apple User
« Reply #482 on: January 23, 2023, 12:09:33 pm »

The facts are this season in the league:

With Hoskins playing. W10 D6 L5 GF32. That's an average of 1.7pts per games and 1.5 goals per game.

Without Hoskins: W3 D1 L1 GF8. That's an average of 2pts per game and 1.6 goals per game.

Now you can opine as much as you like but those are the facts and they are indisputable.

So to answer your question, do I really believe we would be performing better without Hoskins, my response would be based on the facts, so yes, because that's exactly what we have done.

Note: What those stats don't show is that those games without Hoskins were all away from home and we were up against sides in 1st, 2nd, 6th, 7th & 11th. Remarkable performances.

I like stats and I like the detail you provide.  It's some argument to make that we would be better off not playing our top golascorer.  Who is statistically top scorer by miles, which is also a fact.

What I would question is a couple of things.  Is five games missing out of 26 a big enough sample size to come to any definitive conclusion?  In a team sport like football there are way too many other variables that will affect the ultimate result to make a conclusion based on any single individual factor.  
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #483 on: January 23, 2023, 12:40:46 pm »

What the hell are you on about ?
I refuse to own up to what and am bluffing about what ?
Orient signed two centre halves this window - one of which we tried to sign in the summer from Rotherham.
We are desperate and cannot compete / have proper funds available .
Orient losing 3.0 has got nothing to do with me .

You are still missing the point which some posters have now clearly pointed out to you. Of course LO losing 3-0 is nothing to do with you; it is their defensive performance in sufferring a heavy defeat.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Worthless Recluse

Keep it up, keep it up.

View Profile
One year Anniversary Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #484 on: January 23, 2023, 12:44:43 pm »

I like stats and I like the detail you provide.  It's some argument to make that we would be better off not playing our top golascorer.  Who is statistically top scorer by miles, which is also a fact.

What I would question is a couple of things.  Is five games missing out of 26 a big enough sample size to come to any definitive conclusion?  In a team sport like football there are way too many other variables that will affect the ultimate result to make a conclusion based on any single individual factor.  
Eureka!
Report Spam   Logged

HanleyplayedFender.
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #485 on: January 23, 2023, 12:51:01 pm »

Eureka!

Agreed! Damn good post wasn't it?
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
west stand oap

View Profile
2500 Posts Apple User Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #486 on: January 23, 2023, 13:03:46 pm »

Agreed that Hoskins missing 5 games is not a big enough sample size and I also think without his goals we would not be in 3rd place. It does show that we are not a one man team and are capable of winning games when he is missing.
Report Spam   Logged
TPFKA Marvo

View Profile
1000 Posts Spammer 25 Posts in one day 500 Posts
« Reply #487 on: January 23, 2023, 13:35:09 pm »

The point I take from it is that it wouldn't be the end of the world if we lose him, the team have "coped" perfectly well when he hasn't been in the side. It's also quite startling that the "EFL top scorer" hasn't attracted any suitors. Make of that what you will.

I also take your point about variables but you can only take stock of the things you know, not guess at what you don't. I remember after the performance of the season (so far) at Bradford when somebody posted "imagine how many we'd have won by if Hoskins had played" which of course was nonsense. In that game McWilliams played an advanced role and was a revelation, scoring and being a real handful. Had Hoskins played McWilliams would not have been asked to "fill-in" so we'd have lost that contribution. We may well have still won with Hoskins in the side but we play in an different way to accommodate him and are much more pleasing to the eye when he hasn't played, more fluid, more entertaining. It still riles that after Bradford he was brought straight back into the starting line-up at home to Tranmere, only for the team to malfunction and no goals being scored. Brady sent out all the wrong messages in that game, it was a big mistake.

As for 5 games being long enough to form an opinion on a player or team or formation? I think it's a fair amount of time. Had the Cobblers lost the first 5 games this season I think they'd have been people calling for changes at the top.
Report Spam   Logged

It's all about balance.
Mysterious Curle

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Third year Anniversary
« Reply #488 on: January 23, 2023, 13:50:52 pm »

Plenty of movement on here today, have we signed anyone with genuine L1 potential to help our promotion push yet?

Or are we focusing on extending the deals of L2 players to help keep us competitive in L2 until 2025/2026 season? 
Report Spam   Logged
Another Pedj

View Profile
Search Apple User Windows User
« Reply #489 on: January 23, 2023, 14:09:02 pm »

Orient have x2 centre halves out for a good period and sign x2 very good replacements .
We could barely field a centre half on saturday due to injuries and cannot get a replacement in .
It questions the ambition of this club in my view .
Plenty of media bluff but where’s the evidence .

We currently have 5 Centre Backs in the first team squad. Unless at least 2 of these are crocked for the dseason I cannot see us signing another one.
Report Spam   Logged
Tabasco Kid

View Profile
5000 Posts Spammer 25 Posts in one day Seventh year Anniversary
« Reply #490 on: January 23, 2023, 16:16:41 pm »

Looks like Charlie Goode is on his way to Blackpool.
Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
guest2995

« Reply #491 on: January 23, 2023, 16:34:43 pm »

We currently have 5 Centre Backs in the first team squad. Unless at least 2 of these are crocked for the dseason I cannot see us signing another one.
We tried last week
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #492 on: January 23, 2023, 18:25:02 pm »

We tried last week
😂😂😂
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #493 on: January 23, 2023, 18:25:27 pm »

Do you really believe that utter BS?
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
the grumpy old man

View Profile
1000 Posts Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #494 on: January 23, 2023, 18:51:12 pm »

Do you really believe that utter BS?

Not really, it's just a slight variation on the same old words and phrases that keep getting taken off the shelf every transfer window.

I'm waiting for that moment at 1 minute past midnight on Feb 1st when we are told we just missed out on this or that target.

Hopefully I am proved wrong as the squad definitely needs a boost.
Report Spam   Logged
west stand oap

View Profile
2500 Posts Apple User Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #495 on: January 23, 2023, 18:57:42 pm »

Revisiting the point that Hoskins missing 5 games is not a big enough sample size let's say he misses another game and we lose that game our points per game with him missing becomes 1.66 and the FACT would be that we are better with him in the team due to our better points per game of 1.71.
Report Spam   Logged
TPFKA Marvo

View Profile
1000 Posts Spammer 25 Posts in one day 500 Posts
« Reply #496 on: January 23, 2023, 19:34:58 pm »

Revisiting the point that Hoskins missing 5 games is not a big enough sample size let's say he misses another game and we lose that game our points per game with him missing becomes 1.66 and the FACT would be that we are better with him in the team due to our better points per game of 1.71.

Or we could win and that gap grow even wider. I suggest we wait and see if it happens rather than speculate. Deal with what we know.
Report Spam   Logged

It's all about balance.
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #497 on: January 23, 2023, 20:10:00 pm »

They’ve always said they would only sign someone who improved upon what we currently have. I’ve not seen that many players traded at our level that fit that bill so far? Signing players for the sake of it in the past has turned out to be counter productive. So it’s worth pointing out that nothing would have often been better than something.
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
Larry

View Profile
Search Fourth year Anniversary Mobile User
« Reply #498 on: January 23, 2023, 20:23:11 pm »

That’s right the sample size is too small to make it nothing more than trivia. For example had we drawn just one of the games we won without Hoskins then the average points would be 1.6 making them worse performances than with Hoskins.

It’s rather like claiming Alladyce to be the greatest ever England manager.
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #499 on: January 23, 2023, 20:37:33 pm »

Well that proves it, signing a 20 goal a season striker is pointless. Because on this seasons form we’ve got one and it doesn’t matter if he plays or not. Bunch of money wasting amateurs the lot of you.
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... 53   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: