The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 23:22:00 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Salford City - 7 January 2023 1230hrs KO

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Salford City - 7 January 2023 1230hrs KO  (Read 9174 times)
lordjord

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #220 on: January 08, 2023, 15:46:44 pm »

Disappointing result of course yesterday. Couple of musings from me.

1: The key decisions went against us, no doubt about that at all. But there are times (not yesterday) that we should be putting the game away and not relying on the ref's decisions. Feels like we rarely win comfortably.

2: The defence is leaky. McGowan is excellent in the air but he seems far slower following his injury. Lintott did nothing wrong at all and to be honest I feel he deserves his chance. Also when Koiki is back Odimayo can then slot in at RB which seems like it will be far more suited to him as he is clearly not a natural LB.

I also think Sherring has been a little disappointing overall this season. He came in highly rated but he lacks the dominance that many of our other CB's of recent years have done. He is still only 22 and can clearly improve, but so far he seems like quite a drop off from Horsfall. I would argue with Fraser still here we would be up there with Orient. That being said, i can see what JB and the gang are doing. Taking highly rated younger players and looking to develop them both for us and potential sales, which is how a club of our level is going to develop. So I fully back what JB is trying there, but i think when Koiki is back a reshuffle is needed.

3: I think the out and out 4-3-3 is most suited to us over a 4-2-3-1. It feels like when we play 2 midfielders and then a fluid front 4 that we struggle to keep as much control of the game. I would rather 3 of Fox, McWilliams, Leonard, Sowerby start and allow one of them to get forward more. If we are going to play with a 10 then I would rather it be Hoskins more so there or start to trial Harrop as I feel they are more naturally suited to that position.

4: Hylton has not worked out as a signing, that much is clear. But bringing him on for 20 minutes when we are starting to lump balls into the box and then criticising him seems a bit harsh. As I say, he has not produced in the odd occasion he has been called upon. But we signed his footballing brain and ability with the ball to feet. He needs bodies around him and ball to feet, i still think he could offer something more so at home when teams are sat deeper. But an upgrade at striker is still something I would love to see.

5: Despite our recent inconsistent results I have full trust in Brady and the gang. He is definitely building something, we are developing a clear style and we have the ability to win several games on the bounce. He speaks well, is passionate about the club, the fans and the area and long may that continue.

Lets hope to get McWilliams and Koiki back soon, hope for 1 or 2 proven quality additions and lets get that auto spot this season!
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #221 on: January 08, 2023, 16:20:58 pm »

1: The key decisions went against us, no doubt about that at all. But there are times (not yesterday) that we should be putting the game away and not relying on the ref's decisions. Feels like we rarely win comfortably.

2: The defence is leaky. McGowan is excellent in the air but he seems far slower following his injury. Lintott did nothing wrong at all and to be honest I feel he deserves his chance. Also when Koiki is back Odimayo can then slot in at RB which seems like it will be far more suited to him as he is clearly not a natural LB.

I also think Sherring has been a little disappointing overall this season. He came in highly rated but he lacks the dominance that many of our other CB's of recent years have done. He is still only 22 and can clearly improve, but so far he seems like quite a drop off from Horsfall. I would argue with Fraser still here we would be up there with Orient. That being said, i can see what JB and the gang are doing. Taking highly rated younger players and looking to develop them both for us and potential sales, which is how a club of our level is going to develop. So I fully back what JB is trying there, but i think when Koiki is back a reshuffle is needed.

3: I think the out and out 4-3-3 is most suited to us over a 4-2-3-1. It feels like when we play 2 midfielders and then a fluid front 4 that we struggle to keep as much control of the game. I would rather 3 of Fox, McWilliams, Leonard, Sowerby start and allow one of them to get forward more. If we are going to play with a 10 then I would rather it be Hoskins more so there or start to trial Harrop as I feel they are more naturally suited to that position.

4: Hylton has not worked out as a signing, that much is clear. But bringing him on for 20 minutes when we are starting to lump balls into the box and then criticising him seems a bit harsh. As I say, he has not produced in the odd occasion he has been called upon. But we signed his footballing brain and ability with the ball to feet. He needs bodies around him and ball to feet, i still think he could offer something more so at home when teams are sat deeper. But an upgrade at striker is still something I would love to see.

5: Despite our recent inconsistent results I have full trust in Brady and the gang. He is definitely building something, we are developing a clear style and we have the ability to win several games on the bounce. He speaks well, is passionate about the club, the fans and the area and long may that continue.

Lets hope to get McWilliams and Koiki back soon, hope for 1 or 2 proven quality additions and lets get that auto spot this season!

Excellent report Lordy after reading some of the doom and gloom messages prior to yours.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #222 on: January 08, 2023, 16:33:58 pm »

This. Yesterday's defeat was primarily due to a lack of central midfield control in the first half. In the absence of a fully fit Sowerby, I would rather that JB had played someone like Dyche as an emergency defensive midfielder rather than persist with Pinnock in the centre where his lack of pressing capacity is always painfully exposed.

If Harrop is getting released on the 31st then I think we need to get another centre mid body in, even if it's on loan. 4 players to cover 3 slots isn't enough cover and McWilliams is likely to be a few more weeks away.

I like Pinnock but he should be competing for a spot as wide forward, not shoehorned in as a number 10. His game is all about his crossing ability and capacity to drift inside and get shots off: capacities which are completely curtailed when he's played in a central role. I'd be playing Hoskins, Appere and Eppiah as the front three on current form and would be challenging Pinnock to match his creative contribution from last season to win back his place.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 16:35:29 pm by bungle » Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 08, 2023, 17:32:43 pm »

Nevers, whilst I love living rent free in your head I’ve highlighted the above so you can give a number of other posters a public dressing down where they’ve highlighted McGowans performance, weight and pace issues.

No doubt they would all love to hear about your conversation with the fitness coach at the prominent Northampton School…

Whilst I’m not a fitness coach from a prominent Northampton School, I think it’s pretty obvious he’s struggling with weight and its impacting ability to perform his job.

Visually there is a stark different between his circumference from this time last year, that cannot be denied.

He's been back playing in the first team for 11 weeks post injury, so you can’t hide behind that as an excuse.

It is relatively well known that you have a real put down on McGowan and continue with it upto to the present day. Most of your examples you give are carefully edited to suit your disgraceful agenda on some Cobblers players and even Management. Nobody at the game through shouted insults at McGowan; in fact behind me several mature supporters vented their frustration at Eppiah when he was on the wing. When he played up front I thought he did ok. As for McGowan as you are aware he had a serious injury yet you dismiss that 'as it happened 11 weeks ago'. Until his injury he was firm favourite with many supporters. For me he is a fine full back who will again find form .A large proportion of your edited list don't actually mention the over weight factor. Once again you subtly ignore the 'treacle'  pitch conditions which affected most of our players 1st half. Even Hoskins lost his zip.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 17:47:25 pm by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 08, 2023, 18:04:05 pm »

Ooooohhhhh, bit of politics from Evers on a football thread.

Can I just ask which bit of messing up the country's economy could be interpreted as a virtuous error? Best put your answer on the Politics thread in General Chat so we don't upset the self appointed unofficial moderators.

I was giving an example of misplaced interpretation albeit a sarcastic one. Can't help it if you decided to take it as a political comment  Roll Eyes
Now look fwd to seeing you at Stockport. Some of your pals were at Salford and I did ask where you were. Tell me you are not a fairweather supporter.
Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: January 08, 2023, 18:28:14 pm »

I’m not sure who you’re talking to but certainly not the nicest way to talk to a fellow supporter.

For the record, Bowie is an ‘attacker’ rather than a ‘centre forward’ hence why more often than not he is played wide in a front 3 - but hey, don’t let facts get in the way of a good story.

The best games Bowie has been involved in recently were at Gillingham and Bradford were he played to all intents and purposes as an old fashioned stand alone marauding 'Centre Forward'. For me an attacker is a very loose term as an explanation for a 'centre forward' of his ability.
You need to get to a few away games and mix with supporters. Won't hurt you!
Report Spam   Logged

west stand oap

View Profile
2500 Posts Apple User Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #226 on: January 08, 2023, 18:58:12 pm »

Mysterious - You seem to need help understanding other posters messages. No I did not say Bowie is not a centre forward I said he played as an out and out striker (centre forward) yesterday and some of his best performances have been when he has played in that role, I see that Everbrite concurs with this opinion. I think he looks more dangerous and likely to score down the middle than playing wide right.
Yes, I also said that yesterday was not one of his better games and that comment could be said about several other players. In my original post I said that I expect Appere to return to the starting 11 next week and that could be at Bowie's expense because Appere's recent form has been good and I would play Hoskins and Pinnock in the wide positions as Pinnock is not as effective when moved inside. Yesterday I would have kept Pinnock wide and played Eppiah centrally behind Bowie.
I don't think the above is open to misinterpretation but give it a go.
Report Spam   Logged
northamptonnewbie

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Level 3 Search
« Reply #227 on: January 08, 2023, 19:36:26 pm »

2: The defence is leaky. McGowan is excellent in the air but he seems far slower following his injury. Lintott did nothing wrong at all and to be honest I feel he deserves his chance.

Yep felt lintott deserved to hold his place
Report Spam   Logged
Bingers

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day 5000 Posts Avatar
« Reply #228 on: January 08, 2023, 21:09:42 pm »

I was giving an example of misplaced interpretation albeit a sarcastic one. Can't help it if you decided to take it as a political comment  Roll Eyes
Now look fwd to seeing you at Stockport. Some of your pals were at Salford and I did ask where you were. Tell me you are not a fairweather supporter.

I am quite fairweather, I was none too impressed when it was hammering it down on t' M62, but the sun came out when we got to Manchester, so we duely attended. Let's hope it shines at Edgeley Park this Saturday. I wonder which pals of mine you found.....
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2015
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 08, 2023, 21:38:44 pm »

I am quite fairweather, I was none too impressed when it was hammering it down on t' M62, but the sun came out when we got to Manchester, so we duely attended. Let's hope it shines at Edgeley Park this Saturday. I wonder which pals of mine you found.....

Macc Cobbler; I sat just in front of him and his wife. He was disappointed with the display 1st half. Asked how Grove was doing and told me he had not seen or heard from him for some time.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 23:18:08 pm by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #230 on: January 08, 2023, 22:16:10 pm »

Macc Cobbler; I sat just in front of him and his wifet. He was disappointed with the display 1st half. Asked how Grove was doing and told me he had not seen or heard from him for some time.
She's not that short!
Report Spam   Logged
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
5000 Posts Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #231 on: January 09, 2023, 17:44:55 pm »

Yeah apparently he ruptured a quarter pounder and extra large fries, although Maxted said he should be back next week after sharing a rack of lamb with him after the match.

😀😀. You be careful Manny. You can be shot at from 30 paces on here for displaying a sense of humour.
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #232 on: January 09, 2023, 18:27:52 pm »

😀😀. You be careful Manny. You can be shot at from 30 paces on here for displaying a sense of humour.
Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Bingers

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 09, 2023, 18:44:23 pm »

Macc Cobbler; I sat just in front of him and his wife. He was disappointed with the display 1st half. Asked how Grove was doing and told me he had not seen or heard from him for some time.

OK, I saw him in passing at Mansfield and have a vague recollection of seeing Groovy Grove not so long ago, but can't think which game that was at. Stood with auntie and his family in the second half but Johnny Come Latelies won't know him, he is one of the originals from the early message board and inspiration of the "what's pumping auntie's stereo" thread in General Chat.

Also saw Semilong Old Boy who is the better half of the Fenners double act. Saw LeighCobb in passing as well.

All Northern Cobblers. Perhaps see some Northampton based Cobblers at Stockport if there is no option of staying at home to watch it on the TV.
Report Spam   Logged

west stand oap

View Profile
2500 Posts Apple User Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #234 on: January 10, 2023, 10:02:55 am »

McGowan says the Salford pitch is the worst EFL pitch he has played on but it was the same for both teams and Salford adapted to them far better than we did in the first half and could have been more than 1 goal ahead at the break. It has been mentioned that McGowan and Sherring were not at their best and I thought that Guthrie was not also, in fact Odimayo playing out of position on the left was our best defender on the day.

In his team selection for the Orient game JB had Magloire at centre back and moved Sherring to right back leaving McGowan on the bench so he appears to recognise that McGowan has not yet his level of performance of last season. Having been out for months with his injury this is not surprising but with Magloire now injured lets hope he can step up.

A lot of criticism on here for the referee and his lino who got some big decisions wrong so we hope for better at Stockport when Rebecca Welch will be officiating. When we had her last season I thought she had a decent game and was better than several male referees we have had.
Report Spam   Logged
Jim Hall Fixit

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary 500 Posts Avatar
« Reply #235 on: January 10, 2023, 16:31:23 pm »

A lot of criticism on here for the referee and his lino who got some big decisions wrong so we hope for better at Stockport when Rebecca Welch will be officiating. When we had her last season I thought she had a decent game and was better than several male referees we have had.

I think you are being very generous to the male s***ty refs we get in this s***ty division.
I remember her from that game and I would say that she was one of the best ones (of any gender!!) we’ve seen at Sixfields in the last couple of years.
Report Spam   Logged

"My three children were born in Northamptonshire so I like to think I'm an adopted Northamptonian and it's the same for Rico and Sammo. It means a lot to us because this is our county.
Jim Hall Fixit

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary 500 Posts Avatar
« Reply #236 on: January 10, 2023, 16:36:21 pm »

This. Yesterday's defeat was primarily due to a lack of central midfield control in the first half. In the absence of a fully fit Sowerby, I would rather that JB had played someone like Dyche as an emergency defensive midfielder rather than persist with Pinnock in the centre where his lack of pressing capacity is always painfully exposed.

If Harrop is getting released on the 31st then I think we need to get another centre mid body in, even if it's on loan. 4 players to cover 3 slots isn't enough cover and McWilliams is likely to be a few more weeks away.

I like Pinnock but he should be competing for a spot as wide forward, not shoehorned in as a number 10. His game is all about his crossing ability and capacity to drift inside and get shots off: capacities which are completely curtailed when he's played in a central role. I'd be playing Hoskins, Appere and Eppiah as the front three on current form and would be challenging Pinnock to match his creative contribution from last season to win back his place.

Spot on Bungle.
Every time Mitch plays in the middle we struggle.
Not sure if it’s correlation or causation?
Do we struggle because he really isn’t a centre mid?
Do we struggle because we miss his crosses from the wings?
Do we struggle because if he’s playing CM it probably means Sean isn’t playing?
Report Spam   Logged

"My three children were born in Northamptonshire so I like to think I'm an adopted Northamptonian and it's the same for Rico and Sammo. It means a lot to us because this is our county.
RowN

View Profile
Level 5 Eighth year Anniversary Combination
« Reply #237 on: January 10, 2023, 18:26:38 pm »

I always thought Pinnock as a midfielder is about as good as a chocolate fire guard!!

We always struggle when he plays, basically because he’s lightweight and doesn’t do any tackling.

How many assists has he this year?? Can’t be that many?? I’m

Report Spam   Logged
Bingers

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 10, 2023, 18:39:41 pm »

How many assists has he this year?? Can’t be that many??

According to the BBC sports website, he has 6, which is the 4th highest in the division.
Report Spam   Logged

Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #239 on: January 10, 2023, 18:56:13 pm »

According to the BBC sports website, he has 6, which is the 4th highest in the division.
Shouldn't you be at Valley Parade...cheering on Dale?
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: