The Hotel End
April 16, 2024, 06:41:39 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Womens football

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Womens football  (Read 530 times)
TPFKA Marvo

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« on: May 21, 2023, 20:44:28 pm »

I'm getting a bit fed up with the media continual plugging and hype of women's football. I'm not against them playing, just it shouldn't be mixed in with the men's game and why oh why is it given prominence on the TV? The "Super League"? What a joke that is. Today there was 3,456 spectators at the Chelsea v Arsenal match. 4,023 at the Leicester v West Ham, 7,517 Aston Villa v Liverpool and 7,864 at Manchester for the derby. It's about as popular at the National League. Meanwhile in the Trophy final today between Halifax and Gateshead there was 27,374 in attendance, more than all the woman's "Super league" added together. Like I said I'm not against it, if you like that sort of thing, go watch it but for crying out loud let the coverage reflect the actual interest which is minimal to say the least.
Report Spam   Logged

It's all about balance.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

BackOfTheNet

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2023, 07:17:40 am »

I disagree with pretty much all of that. Yes, the numbers are low but they are growing. They will only keep growing if the coverage is there to maintain the interest of those who already follow a women's team and to pique the curiosity of those who haven't yet watched any.

Unless the women's game continues to grow then only a tiny amount of women will ever be able to make a living from playing the game, and why shouldn't they be given that chance? Absolutely, the women's game needs to be able to financially wash its proverbial face before that happens but it's a bit chicken and egg; without an increased interest it will never happen and you only increase interest by promoting it.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
therealpattcobb

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2023, 08:25:17 am »

I'm getting a bit fed up with the media continual plugging and hype of women's football. I'm not against them playing, just it shouldn't be mixed in with the men's game and why oh why is it given prominence on the TV? The "Super League"? What a joke that is. Today there was 3,456 spectators at the Chelsea v Arsenal match. 4,023 at the Leicester v West Ham, 7,517 Aston Villa v Liverpool and 7,864 at Manchester for the derby. It's about as popular at the National League. Meanwhile in the Trophy final today between Halifax and Gateshead there was 27,374 in attendance, more than all the woman's "Super league" added together. Like I said I'm not against it, if you like that sort of thing, go watch it but for crying out loud let the coverage reflect the actual interest which is minimal to say the least.

But football for women/girls is a no brainer, of course they should play football. In my day at Campion school the girls played netball and hockey the boys football and rugby. I used to think it was pathetic watching the girls trying to hit a tiny ball with essentially a golf club on uneven ground with puddles in the goalmouths. Enough to put anyone off sport!
I also remember the girls school hockey team challenged the boys football team to a game of hockey, to prove how good they were at such a difficult sport. Remember most of the boys hadn't picked up a hockey stick in their lives before this. The female games teacher finally abandoned the game when the boys' score hit double figures if I remember.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2023, 09:13:00 am by therealpattcobb » Report Spam   Logged

Only Gay in the Village??
DavCobb

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2023, 08:43:34 am »

I also disagree, maybe because I have daughters.
I have experienced the growth of womenís football first hand from an early stage. My daughter is on first name terms with lots of the England team past and present. She gets birthday cards from a couple. Has shirts, goalie gloves and hundreds of photoís with players, as well as being mascot at a couple of internationals.
The only downside of the growth of the game as it understandably becomes a little less accessible in terms of player engagement.
The Euro win was massive and watched by 17 million here and 365 million worldwide.
Like I said, I have daughters so maybe just how significant the impact has been on females is lost on some. Especially anyone who is a misogynist. Not suggesting the case here!

Crowds of 300 are now 3,000 and some of the players are becoming household names. The standard has also massively improved (inc goalkeepers who are never going to be 6í4) and the top teams play some great football. Certainly compared to some of the lower league menís dross it is at a totally different level.*

If anyone wants to complain about coverage, I think Wrexham are a good start.

*Iím not debating the argument of any menís team beating any womenís team as itís irrelevant. A bit like saying that any competitive menís 100m runner has beaten the womenís WR.
Report Spam   Logged
goodluck2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2023, 10:52:46 am »

Stop dissing women football of like that. Attendances have grown for women football by over 100%, and in many cases 1000% did you know that. Before talking through your backside.

And in many many cases being played at a lower league ground. So in turns of attendance. Wouldnít be as high as a game being shown at Wembley.

In womenís football, women donít tend to roll around so much pretending to be injured. Itís ridiculous in menís football how many men do it. Pathetic from them.

With team, any team (women or men) if you play at the lower league ground of course your attendance isnít going to be higher than a team playing at Wembley.

And often often women arenít given the chance to play at higher league grounds, and if/when showed that they can fill it out. (Like any case, if properly advertised out)

The only joke, is your comment
Report Spam   Logged
Tabasco Kid

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2023, 11:15:14 am »

Stop dissing women football of like that. Attendances have grown for women football by over 100%, and in many cases 1000% did you know that. Before talking through your backside.

And in many many cases being played at a lower league ground. So in turns of attendance. Wouldnít be as high as a game being shown at Wembley.

In womenís football, women donít tend to roll around so much pretending to be injured. Itís ridiculous in menís football how many men do it. Pathetic from them.

With team, any team (women or men) if you play at the lower league ground of course your attendance isnít going to be higher than a team playing at Wembley.

And often often women arenít given the chance to play at higher league grounds, and if/when showed that they can fill it out. (Like any case, if properly advertised out)

The only joke, is your comment
Have you ever worked in an overseas call centre?  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
therealpattcobb

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2023, 11:36:30 am »

But football for women/girls is a no brainer, of course they should play football. In my day at Campion school the girls played netball and hockey the boys football and rugby. I used to think it was pathetic watching the girls trying to hit a tiny ball with essentially a golf club on uneven ground with puddles in the goalmouths. Enough to put anyone off sport!
I also remember the girls school hockey team challenged the boys football team to a game of hockey, to prove how good they were at such a difficult sport. Remember most of the boys hadn't picked up a hockey stick in their lives before this. The female games teacher finally abandoned the game when the boys' score hit double figures if I remember.

By The Way that is supposed to highlight the merits of girls football as opposed to the impossible sport of hockey.

The Cobblers Women's team seem to progressing steadily well. Crowds when games take place at Sixfields now 1,000 plus.

Unlike The Saints who seem to have "adopted" a women's rugby team from Leicestershire - a very strange move all round
« Last Edit: May 23, 2023, 11:52:49 am by therealpattcobb » Report Spam   Logged

Only Gay in the Village??
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2023, 11:54:46 am »

I doubt it will be long before every football league club has to field a professional women's team as well. Some form of central funding will appear, probably from the top of the game. Time will tell on that.

I really enjoy watching the lionesses but have no interest in the Women's super league. Maybe I will in the future, but for me I get my football fix on a Saturday (usually) and only tend to watch the really big games (or Leicester ones!) aside from the Cobblers.

Personally I do not think attendances will ever become that big, simply because men's football is so popular and people have other commitment's so going to a match both days on a weekend is not possible for many people. Its certainly not the £, because women's football is soooo cheap to watch.

Where things are in 2 years time will show whether or not it will grow into a super sport when it comes to £. Its the world cup this year, strangely that is barely mentioned but I'm sure it will be nearer the time. Its a real shame that many of the kick off times will be early in the day etc when people are at work. I will make the effort to watch all the England games for sure though!

Report Spam   Logged
goodluck2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2023, 12:01:43 pm »

Itís weird in how you picked up my comment (when we all prettier much said the same thing)

To say something nasty, that shows you what kind of a person you are. Not very nice.

To state to someone have they ever worked in an overseas call centre, means youíve worked in one. Idiot.
Report Spam   Logged
singcobb

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2023, 12:39:43 pm »

I like the women's game and watch it sometimes. However I can't see the crowds getting very large. Because of several factors. People only have so much spare cash. I can't see wives or partners taking kindly to being deserted every weekend and sometimes twice in a weekend. The standard of play is good only at the top level.
Good performance may increase the crowds for the lower level sides in the short term, but I just can't see it being sustainable.
Report Spam   Logged
DavCobb

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2023, 13:57:01 pm »

I like the women's game and watch it sometimes. However I can't see the crowds getting very large. Because of several factors. People only have so much spare cash. I can't see wives or partners taking kindly to being deserted every weekend and sometimes twice in a weekend. The standard of play is good only at the top level.
Good performance may increase the crowds for the lower level sides in the short term, but I just can't see it being sustainable.

If you look at the average crowds the ARE the wives and girlfriends. I went to a lot of the Euros in Holland and it was heavily biased towards female attendees, plus kids of course. Itís perfect for loveless marriages if you think about it. Blokes disappear on Saturday, the women go off Sunday!
Iíd hazard a guess that there are more women than men attending the average gate.
Report Spam   Logged
singcobb

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2023, 15:03:53 pm »

If you look at the average crowds the ARE the wives and girlfriends. I went to a lot of the Euros in Holland and it was heavily biased towards female attendees, plus kids of course. It’s perfect for loveless marriages if you think about it. Blokes disappear on Saturday, the women go off Sunday!
I’d hazard a guess that there are more women than men attending the average gate.

Maybe the women's football should be sponsored by a divorce lawyer.
Report Spam   Logged
Tony Mahoney

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2023, 15:27:03 pm »

Any sport made an agenda by the BBC will undoubtedly flourish for a while, curlers amongst us will agree. I just find it ironic that that not only does it instantly seem to modelled on all that's wrong with football i.e. Premier greed, super this blah, blah, almost ignoring grass roots. its the language mimicking the mens game too. It appears the girls just do want to be boys after all.

For me, the women's (professional) football league should start as soon as the men's league finishes and fill the stadiums in the summer, similarly to rugby league. Missing a trick really to really grow the sport but I'm sure frozen pitches covered in dog shit on a freezing Sunday morning in January will soon be full of young girls anyway.
Report Spam   Logged
Tony Mahoney

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2023, 15:48:06 pm »

Lets be honest here, similarly to politicians all admitting to "trying cannabis just once but didn't like it."

Who here has chanted from the Hotel End," Get your tits out for the lads...?   I do remember a WPC getting such disgusting comments insensitively hurled at him. As he identifies as today.

I saw an article in the Guardian after a world cup game I think, of a player doing just this, pulling off her shirt after scoring  Wink The Guardian referred to it as "liberation," Hotel Enders have been encouraging the liberation of women for decades.
Report Spam   Logged
CobblerForever

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2023, 18:04:30 pm »

I prefer watching women's football on the Beeb to that American sports crap we are currently being encouraged to embrace (American Football, Basketball etc).

I also wish they'd abandon the 100 and cover the 20/20 instead - that really would be beneficial to the grassroots of the county game.

Women's cricket is worth a watch. Competitive at test level and you can see the red ball from a side on view (which is not the case with fast bowlers in the men's game).
Report Spam   Logged
singcobb

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2023, 18:42:06 pm »

I prefer watching women's football on the Beeb to that American sports crap we are currently being encouraged to embrace (American Football, Basketball etc).

I also wish they'd abandon the 100 and cover the 20/20 instead - that really would be beneficial to the grassroots of the county game.

Women's cricket is worth a watch. Competitive at test level and you can see the red ball from a side on view (which is not the case with fast bowlers in the men's game).

Big fan of the women's cricket, the Women's IPL was excellent this year with a lot of the England players doing well and getting lots of match practice.

Not a big fan of the 100, just seems like a way to get more money from the fans.

As to American sports I am a big fan of baseball, especially now with the regulations in place to make the game quicker.
Report Spam   Logged
TPFKA Marvo

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2023, 17:55:22 pm »

My point was we are being force fed women's football. If it's good enough, it should stand on its own merits and the amount of it on TV should reflect the public interest. Why is a game watched by 3,000 given prominence while another with nearly 30,000 is not thought worth a mention? It's brainwashing. It shouldn't be mixed in with the mans game.
Report Spam   Logged

It's all about balance.
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2023, 19:41:52 pm »

Dare say there will be a few critical remarks on Marvoís post. Marvo you could have at least advised the result of the Trophy game!
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
DavCobb

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2024, 12:33:25 pm »

Could be a costly kiss.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-68091321
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: