The Hotel End
December 09, 2023, 10:36:56 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Burton (h)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Burton (h)  (Read 5847 times)
Risdene

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« on: November 01, 2023, 06:41:39 am »

Half of our starting line up last night should not start in our next league game!

Lack of skill you understand BUT lack of effort never!

In my humble opinion;

Burge

Lintott Sherrng Guthrie Brough

McWilliams Sowerby Hondermarck

Leonard

Hoskins Appere

At least we would have the nearest thing to pace up front  Leonard further forward to create.

The main point is we MUST sign TWO forwards and a winger on January 1st ! No excuses!
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Shoemaker

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2023, 07:12:01 am »

Surely everyone knew we needed two strikers and a winger all summer.
We were left scratching around for yet another loan that fell through and basically had a terrible transfer window.
We need to BUY some players of our own but we have owners pleading poverty and if good players didn’t join in the summer they will be even less keen to join a relegation scrap.

I imagine Brady will be sacked at some point , on all known form it’ll be right before or during the window giving any new manager no chance to assess the squad and get the right recruits in.

I’m afraid Brady is a dead man walking , he isn’t recovering from this , despite not being backed sufficiently for the division we are in the recruitment has been dreadful , other more experienced managers realised you need better proven league one players when you step up but Jon went in a different direction.
One that left us with loads of defenders and no playmakers or strikers.
To be honest it was inept and will ultimately cost him his job.

He can bang on about injuries all he wants but look at the bench last night , not one bit of creativity or spark or attacking threat.

He built this totally unbalanced squad and is now clinging on to the ‘we will have players back soon’ mantra.
We’ve had that for well over a year Jon.
On all known form they’ll soon be injured again and round and round it goes.
Something is wrong to get so many injured players…
Is it signing players with injury records or the training regime
Either way the buck stops with Jon I’m afraid.

We need a new manager in straight away to assess this mess and see what’s needed to turn it around.
The board have a couple of weeks before we have a league game and need to act now or not at all.
If they are not backing a manager in the window then they may as well stick with Jon but if the board have any ambition for the club to stay up then they need to get a new man in , back him in a big way and make sure he is an experienced manager at this level or higher who can attract better players and spend the money wisely on proven, experienced , permanent signings.

In a nutshell sticking with Jon will lead to another defeat against burton as it’s clear the players have lost faith in him and are giving up once they go behind.

It’s a shame for Jon as he’s a decent chap who has been found out by lack of experience at this level.
I hope he finds another job in the game and I think he will still make a very good manager who will learn from these mistakes.
The problem is he’s the wrong man at the wrong time and a big broom is needed…
Report Spam   Logged
Mysterious Curle

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2023, 08:31:17 am »

We knew this last January as well, possibly before.
Report Spam   Logged
west stand oap

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2023, 08:44:39 am »

I would not agree that "the players are giving up once we go behind", we went behind against Orient and turned it round to go in front.

You won't see the suggested team at the beginning of this thread as Guthrie is reported to still be 2 weeks away from returning.
Report Spam   Logged
DavCobb

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2023, 09:02:55 am »

We need a new manager in straight away to assess this mess and see what’s needed to turn it around.
The board have a couple of weeks before we have a league game and need to act now or not at all.
If they are not backing a manager in the window then they may as well stick with Jon but if the board have any ambition for the club to stay up then they need to get a new man in , back him in a big way and make sure he is an experienced manager at this level or higher who can attract better players and spend the money wisely on proven, experienced , permanent signings.

I think it would be foolish and grossly unfair (if...a huge IF as it isn't going to happen) the owners decide to significantly increase the budget to back another manager.
The guy just got over 160 points in two L2 seasons. He has had a good career at NTFC and clearly passionate with an affinity for the club. Whatever his record on duds like Simpson is, I am sure it is driven on slim pickings and minimum wage offerings. The expensive Hylton 'mistake' continues to bite him. His football (on the whole) has been more pleasing to watch than the usual dross we are used to.
The injury situation is weird. I am sure that they are not doing something fundamentally obvious in training or recovery to injure all these players. Could again come down to recruitment and screening, or maybe really bad luck.

I do think he will get sacked though at some point. The owners will have no where to go and the buck has to stop with the manager, they can't sack themselves! If he makes it to January, there'll be a token fund to sign a couple more cheapies and we may/may not avoid the drop. It'll be a real shame as the thought of the next Curle or JFH makes me shudder.

The better alternative is to start getting a few results!!
Report Spam   Logged
TPFKA Marvo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2023, 09:18:38 am »

I think it would be foolish and grossly unfair (if...a huge IF as it isn't going to happen) the owners decide to significantly increase the budget to back another manager.
The guy just got over 160 points in two L2 seasons. He has had a good career at NTFC and clearly passionate with an affinity for the club. Whatever his record on duds like Simpson is, I am sure it is driven on slim pickings and minimum wage offerings. The expensive Hylton 'mistake' continues to bite him. His football (on the whole) has been more pleasing to watch than the usual dross we are used to.
The injury situation is weird. I am sure that they are not doing something fundamentally obvious in training or recovery to injure all these players. Could again come down to recruitment and screening, or maybe really bad luck.

I do think he will get sacked though at some point. The owners will have no where to go and the buck has to stop with the manager, they can't sack themselves! If he makes it to January, there'll be a token fund to sign a couple more cheapies and we may/may not avoid the drop. It'll be a real shame as the thought of the next Curle or JFH makes me shudder.

The better alternative is to start getting a few results!!

I think he has until the end of the year to turn it around. If not, you'll then find out whether the club really do want to stay in League 1. If they do, they'll bring a new man in and back him financially in the January transfer window. If they don't they'll let us stumble on with Brady and our season will probably die with a whimper.

I agree best option, like you said Brady turns it round. I disagree with your comment about his record, those points and results were gleaned at a lower level. Brady's record at this level is (at the moment) piss poor. The gap between Derby (7th in League 1) and Accrington (7th in league 2) is enormous.
Report Spam   Logged

Sometimes I'm right, sometimes I'm wrong. I'm only human.
Risdene

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2023, 10:06:55 am »

We were left scratching around for yet another loan that fell through and basically had a terrible transfer window.
We need to BUY some players of our own but we have owners pleading poverty and if good players didn’t join in the summer they will be even less keen to join a relegation scrap.

I imagine Brady will be sacked at some point , on all known form it’ll be right before or during the window giving any new manager no chance to assess the squad and get the right recruits in.

I’m afraid Brady is a dead man walking , he isn’t recovering from this , despite not being backed sufficiently for the division we are in the recruitment has been dreadful , other more experienced managers realised you need better proven league one players when you step up but Jon went in a different direction.
One that left us with loads of defenders and no playmakers or strikers.
To be honest it was inept and will ultimately cost him his job.

He can bang on about injuries all he wants but look at the bench last night , not one bit of creativity or spark or attacking threat.

He built this totally unbalanced squad and is now clinging on to the ‘we will have players back soon’ mantra.
We’ve had that for well over a year Jon.
On all known form they’ll soon be injured again and round and round it goes.
Something is wrong to get so many injured players…
Is it signing players with injury records or the training regime
Either way the buck stops with Jon I’m afraid.

In a nutshell sticking with Jon will lead to another defeat against burton as it’s clear the players have lost faith in him and are giving up once they go behind.

It’s a shame for Jon as he’s a decent chap who has been found out by lack of experience at this level.
I hope he finds another job in the game and I think he will still make a very good manager who will learn from these mistakes.
The problem is he’s the wrong man at the wrong time and a big broom is needed…

Some of your opinions I agree with but to sack JB in the next 2 months is b*llocks. Why do some people continue to think the only answer is to change the manager, as if that is the only solution!

Personally I think the club has to back him financially to get 2 strikers and a pacy winger in on January 1st. An opinion most expressed in August.
I have enjoyed most of the football but not the total lack of quality at the top end of the pitch!I

Over to KT because he has certainly not given the management a ' competitive' budget this year!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2023, 10:12:23 am by Risdene » Report Spam   Logged
DavCobb

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2023, 10:09:49 am »

I think he has until the end of the year to turn it around. If not, you'll then find out whether the club really do want to stay in League 1. If they do, they'll bring a new man in and back him financially in the January transfer window. If they don't they'll let us stumble on with Brady and our season will probably die with a whimper.

I agree best option, like you said Brady turns it round. I disagree with your comment about his record, those points and results were gleaned at a lower level. Brady's record at this level is (at the moment) piss poor. The gap between Derby (7th in League 1) and Accrington (7th in league 2) is enormous.

On the plus side it will get the inevitable relegation out the way a season early and we can get on with some entertaining, winning football again next season.
There is absolutely zero chance that they are going to pay off JB, attract a better alternative on decent money, plus throw hundreds of thousands of pounds to attract the players we need. If any new manager was really lucky he might have the existing squad with less injuries to choose from. It wouldn't make sense, just give JB some additional backing.

The only way we'll find out if JB is the real underlying problem is that a new manager comes in and gets us into comfortable mid table with this set of players and ongoing injury list. Managers don't always have the luxury of making wholesale changes to try and change fortunes.
Report Spam   Logged
TPFKA Marvo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2023, 10:15:55 am »

On the plus side it will get the inevitable relegation out the way a season early and we can get on with some entertaining, winning football again next season.
There is absolutely zero chance that they are going to pay off JB, attract a better alternative on decent money, plus throw hundreds of thousands of pounds to attract the players we need. If any new manager was really lucky he might have the existing squad with less injuries to choose from. It wouldn't make sense, just give JB some additional backing.

The only way we'll find out if JB is the real underlying problem is that a new manager comes in and gets us into comfortable mid table with this set of players and ongoing injury list. Managers don't always have the luxury of making wholesale changes to try and change fortunes.

I thought we all agreed we don't need wholesale changes to change our fortunes, just a couple of players who know where the net is. The problem is Brady's recruitment in the summer and last January was awful, I'm not sure the Chairman would risk giving him further money to piss down the drain.
Report Spam   Logged

DavCobb

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2023, 10:30:31 am »

I thought we all agreed we don't need wholesale changes to change our fortunes, just a couple of players who know where the net is. The problem is Brady's recruitment in the summer and last January was awful, I'm not sure the Chairman would risk giving him further money to piss down the drain.

We can disagree on that because if it involves paying off JB, paying decent money for a replacement, plus additional funds to plug the gaps, I think he absolutely will…..or he won’t (increase the budget) and take the potential relegation a season early, and/or wait for JB to fall on his sword.
Easy to feel after last night but relegation is hardly nailed on.
Report Spam   Logged
TPFKA Marvo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2023, 10:34:45 am »

We can disagree on that because if it involves paying off JB, paying decent money for a replacement, plus additional funds to plug the gaps, I think he absolutely will…..or he won’t (increase the budget) and take the potential relegation a season early, and/or wait for JB to fall on his sword.
Easy to feel after last night but relegation is hardly nailed on.

No, I still think there maybe 4 clubs worse than us. I don't want us to go down, I hate being wrong. However I don't think fans comprehended what a s*** season it is to endure when you finish 20th.
Report Spam   Logged

606 Parklands_Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2023, 10:40:13 am »

Some of the fan reaction to this has been nothing short of embarrassing.
Report Spam   Logged
Dan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2023, 12:19:06 pm »

Some of the fan reaction to this has been nothing short of embarrassing.

I agree. Some don’t seem willing to acknowledge that there are problems a foot.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2013
Gustavo Palcrice

Everybody seems happy.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2023, 12:24:35 pm »

Let's face it, the owners are now approaching their endgame. Their original intention of a land grab is now in the basket, all they have to do is figure a way out. They aren't going to splash any cash on the team or club as it just reduces their margin. I am not even sure they care what division we are in as it makes little difference to their slim hopes of finding someone to take it on. Brady has to look after number one now and I don't mean Burge.
Report Spam   Logged

Best before Thomas
Coolcat

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2023, 17:07:07 pm »

Half of our starting line up last night should not start in our next league game!

Lack of skill you understand BUT lack of effort never!

In my humble opinion;

Burge

Lintott Sherrng Guthrie Brough

McWilliams Sowerby Hondermarck

Leonard

Hoskins Appere

At least we would have the nearest thing to pace up front  Leonard further forward to create.

The main point is we MUST sign TWO forwards and a winger on January 1st ! No excuses!
So you don't think Barrow in the FAC is worthy of your mention? How about starting a Barrow (FAC) thread!
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2023, 14:16:49 pm »

https://www.ntfc.co.uk/news/2023/november/service_of_remembrance/
It is my intention to be there.  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Coolcat

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2023, 17:37:57 pm »

It's quite certainly a 2-3 defeat, with us going down 1-3 before the Cobblers get a 94th minute consolation goal (which may or probably may not be important at the end of the season) in front of less than half of a 5,210 attendance!
Cobblers count clicks of the turnstile...MK Dons and Oxford Utd most certainly don't, counting tickets sold...or in MK's case, given away!
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2023, 19:17:31 pm »

Brady has a very bad feeling about this game.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
WadeyCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2023, 11:36:15 am »

With a Bowie and Appere back with Hoskins and Pinnock on the pitch we will have some attacking threat again. Maybe Sowerby as CDM to help protect the defence. There is still the goalkeeper concern though. Neither Burge or Thompson look convincing. But if we get back to playing how we were earlier in the season and take our chances we can grab ourselves a very important win.
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2023, 11:39:28 am »

With a Bowie and Appere back with Hoskins and Pinnock on the pitch we will have some attacking threat again. Maybe Sowerby as CDM to help protect the defence. There is still the goalkeeper concern though. Neither Burge or Thompson look convincing. But if we get back to playing how we were earlier in the season and take our chances we can grab ourselves a very important win.
It’s fast becoming a must win, lose it and Cambridge and I think it will force KTs hand.
Personally I’d give JOn the window, it causes too much disruption otherwise.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: