The Hotel End
May 25, 2024, 18:03:43 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Play-off watch

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Play-off watch  (Read 15812 times)
Tabasco Kid

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« Reply #420 on: April 03, 2024, 22:05:21 pm »

Jeez Bingers, wishing your life away. Some poor sods will have seen their final promotion.
You’re right though, our grandkids have plenty of L2 promotions to look forward to. If they are really lucky they might get a non-league bounce back thrown in.  Grin
Dont joke about things like that. Very rarely does a relegated team see a rapid return. Its just taken Chesterfield seven years. And they have better facilities than we have.
Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
DavCobb

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: April 03, 2024, 22:07:11 pm »

Dont joke about things like that. Very rarely does a relegated team see a rapid return. Its just taken Chesterfield seven years. And they have better facilities than we have.

The grandkids have time, they might even see us in the Prem.
Report Spam   Logged
WasRambo

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: April 03, 2024, 22:38:37 pm »

If you take all the concrete factual evidence around you, primarily that it takes significant investment to get out of this division, then the reality is that becoming a solid, middle of the road L1 side is the best we can achieve. We are not, never have been and sadly never may be as big as Portsmouth, Derby and Bolton. And whilst it may hurt,based on historical average league position (Marvo, correct me if I'm wrong) we're not as successful as The Pish either, certainly not in recent history anyway.

That's not to say we can't have that one season... Burton did it and there's doubtless other examples too.

But for that to happen, one of two things, or both, need to happen. We either need a sugar daddy to pump millions into the club or a manager needs to get "lucky" and build that inexplicable, perfect machine that magically gels and defies the odds.

The chances of either of these things happening are less likely than the reality that this summer Brady will be doing his best to fills the holes left by some decent loanees and build a squad that keeps us exactly where we are now.... 10th, 11th or thereabouts.

Saying all this doesn't make me unambitious, miserable, grumpy or defeatist. If we go the next 5 seasons middle of L1 that for us is a relative success. And every year we stay in this division means another summer where we can dream of it being "that one season".

I would take that over being a yo-yo club between L2 and L1 every day of the week and twice on a Sunday. Yes, promotions are great, but relegations aren't. Losing is horrible and I'd rather be average in L1 than rubbish, then maybe great in L2.
Report Spam   Logged
west stand oap

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: April 04, 2024, 07:43:23 am »

I totally agree with the above post and would rather see us established as a mid table division 1 side (if that is our current limitations) to going up and down from division 2. The other plus point of being in division 1 is the much better away support whereas in division 2 quite a few sides bring very few supporters.
Report Spam   Logged
Ragdoll Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #424 on: April 04, 2024, 08:09:10 am »

If you take all the concrete factual evidence around you, primarily that it takes significant investment to get out of this division, then the reality is that becoming a solid, middle of the road L1 side is the best we can achieve. We are not, never have been and sadly never may be as big as Portsmouth, Derby and Bolton. And whilst it may hurt,based on historical average league position (Marvo, correct me if I'm wrong) we're not as successful as The Pish either, certainly not in recent history anyway.

That's not to say we can't have that one season... Burton did it and there's doubtless other examples too.

But for that to happen, one of two things, or both, need to happen. We either need a sugar daddy to pump millions into the club or a manager needs to get "lucky" and build that inexplicable, perfect machine that magically gels and defies the odds.

The chances of either of these things happening are less likely than the reality that this summer Brady will be doing his best to fills the holes left by some decent loanees and build a squad that keeps us exactly where we are now.... 10th, 11th or thereabouts.

Saying all this doesn't make me unambitious, miserable, grumpy or defeatist. If we go the next 5 seasons middle of L1 that for us is a relative success. And every year we stay in this division means another summer where we can dream of it being "that one season".

I would take that over being a yo-yo club between L2 and L1 every day of the week and twice on a Sunday. Yes, promotions are great, but relegations aren't. Losing is horrible and I'd rather be average in L1 than rubbish, then maybe great in L2.

Exactly this!
Report Spam   Logged
TPFKA Marvo

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: April 04, 2024, 09:05:27 am »

Well I'll be glad when it's over. It's just a borefest now. How anybody can get exited about the next four totally meaningless games is beyond me. We could win them all, we could lose them all, what does it matter? We're just treading water. I guess the next thing of any importance will be the retained list, then its 4 months of waiting and wondering who the new additions will be. I've got to say I'm looking forward to the break. It's job done, has been for weeks.
Report Spam   Logged

It's all about balance.
DavCobb

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: April 04, 2024, 09:11:02 am »

Well I'll be glad when it's over. It's just a borefest now. How anybody can get exited about the next four totally meaningless games is beyond me. We could win them all, we could lose them all, what does it matter? We're just treading water. I guess the next thing of any importance will be the retained list, then its 4 months of waiting and wondering who the new additions will be. I've got to say I'm looking forward to the break. It's job done, has been for weeks.

Imagine how boring it must be to support Everton.
Report Spam   Logged
Tabasco Kid

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: April 04, 2024, 09:13:48 am »

I want to stay in League one, because  I dont like League Two. Simple.
Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
DavCobb

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: April 04, 2024, 09:17:30 am »

Football has never been just about winning the title/promotion, or fighting relegation. Otherwise many teams wouldn't be worth following.
You can apply that to rugby. There'd be pretty much no point supporting a team until the final play off game.

I think we are just so used to having something at stake with a few games to go but interesting the crowds have held up very well. I reckon we'll do some good business on ST sales for next season too.

Hopefully we can win most of the remaining games, it may be a close season reset but winning is a habit.
Report Spam   Logged
Pablo69

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: April 04, 2024, 09:29:03 am »

Is it true that the money the club receives is not dependent on your end of season position unlike the premiership?
Report Spam   Logged

"The voice of reason"
TPFKA Marvo

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: April 04, 2024, 10:28:55 am »

Football has never been just about winning the title/promotion, or fighting relegation. Otherwise many teams wouldn't be worth following.
You can apply that to rugby. There'd be pretty much no point supporting a team until the final play off game.

I think we are just so used to having something at stake with a few games to go but interesting the crowds have held up very well. I reckon we'll do some good business on ST sales for next season too.

Hopefully we can win most of the remaining games, it may be a close season reset but winning is a habit.

There's not a lot of evidence to go on but I think we can be pretty sure our crowds next season wont match this, unless of course capacity is increased by the long awaited completion of the East Stand.

In Carr's second season in the third tier average attendance went down by 1,595. Atkins decreased 325, Wilson 401. Bowen's went up by 2,529 but of course we had the capacity then AND we won the league. If we can keep the average attendance to within 300-400 of this season I think we will have done well, though you have to keep in mind this year has been exceptional.
Report Spam   Logged

It's all about balance.
DavCobb

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: April 04, 2024, 10:41:25 am »

There isn't much wiggle room on the attendances and overall numbers are very much driven by away fans. We don't seem to have been put off with mid-table obscurity anyway. There is something to be said about being able to relax watching a game.
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: April 04, 2024, 11:28:27 am »

If we can keep the average attendance to within 300-400 of this season I think we will have done well, though you have to keep in mind this year has been exceptional.

This is really important in my opinion. Even if you believe the current owners have no intention of investment in the ground beyond the competition of the East stand. Then keeping attendances at the current level is vital in convincing the next owner in the viability of increasing capacity. If they start dropping to the 5,000-5,500 level then I struggle to see anyone rationalising spending a big lump of cash to make the ground bigger.
Report Spam   Logged
AYelvertoftCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: April 04, 2024, 13:33:59 pm »

I can't find it, but I recall someone talking about the Sky TV deal and there being a pretty big difference in TV revenue between L2 and L1 starting next year. This alone is a good reason to be pleased about being in L1. Its not JUST about home attendances.
Report Spam   Logged
Bingers

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: April 04, 2024, 18:37:32 pm »

Jeez Bingers, wishing your life away. Some poor sods will have seen their final promotion.

It's a circle, the circle of life.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2015
WasRambo

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: April 05, 2024, 23:19:38 pm »

I'd be amazed if we can't maintain current attendance levels. And far more chance of doing that with even only a moderately successful L1 side than anything in league 2

I don't think the likes of Harrogate, Barrow, etc. Do much to swell the coffers
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: April 13, 2024, 18:57:47 pm »

Well it looks like Lincoln should have kept their money in their pockets for the summer!  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: April 13, 2024, 19:12:00 pm »

Well it looks like Lincoln should have kept their money in their pockets for the summer!  Wink

Grin Grin

A first defeat in 17 which leaves them five points behind Oxford, each with three games to play. Tuesday night....Oxford v Lincoln! 

Oxford have themselves  "done a Lincoln" in winning their last three scoring 4, 4, and 5 in the process, conceding none.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/07, 2007/08, 2011/12, 2012/13, 2018/19 and 2023/24
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: April 13, 2024, 19:16:30 pm »

Grin Grin

A first defeat in 17 which leaves them five points behind Oxford, each with three games to play. Tuesday night....Oxford v Lincoln! 

Oxford have themselves  "done a Lincoln" in winning their last three scoring 4, 4, and 5 in the process, conceding none.

Classic case of 'getting there' with the chase, and then fcuking it up as soon as they arrive!

Donny in league2 - 8 wins on the trot. Now that is an incredible run. They are now one win away from the play offs having been about 19th/20th a few weeks ago. Football eh!
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: April 13, 2024, 19:26:43 pm »

Classic case of 'getting there' with the chase, and then fcuking it up as soon as they arrive!

Donny in league2 - 8 wins on the trot. Now that is an incredible run. They are now one win away from the play offs having been about 19th/20th a few weeks ago. Football eh!

1st February they were 22nd with 28 points, sixteen points away from seventh. Now after one defeat in 16 they are just a point behind Crawley in that last spot and three behind Barrow. Big game next Saturday as Donny host Barrow!
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/07, 2007/08, 2011/12, 2012/13, 2018/19 and 2023/24
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: