The Hotel End
March 04, 2024, 11:15:15 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

End of season predictions.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: End of season predictions.  (Read 1548 times)
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2024, 10:15:16 am »

This board has to be the greatest cures for optimism that there is. Thanks to the hard work of JB, his squad, and the staff at NTFC. it looks like we will most likely stay in league 1 this season. Not content with that, Misery United have moved on to next season, to seal the fate of a time that hasn't even happened. The title on this thread is END OF SEASON PREDICTIONS, Not end of life predictions.

Let's enjoy the moment. It is supposed to be a bit of fun, some escapism. Some of you make it sound like a stint on death row, once you've exhausted all clemency.
Report Spam   Logged
lordjord

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2024, 10:21:43 am »

I think we will end up finishing around 16th. I think Brady has done a fantastic job getting such a points haul already and the team is very much greater than the sum of its parts.

I think the teams coming up are far stronger and with bigger backers than last year. Rotherham are a yoyo club between L1 and the championship and Sheffield Wednesday you would expect to still have a huge budget despite their ownership issues.

With that in mind and the fact that clubs tend to struggle more in the second season of their promotions in general I think it goes without saying we want to avoid the season simply petering out despite the injury woes. Being able to sell ourselves to potential new recruits as a side that finished comfortably mid table and now want to push on is going to be far more appealing than we fell off the second half of the season and avoided relegation by a few places.
Report Spam   Logged
TPFKA Marvo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2024, 10:37:06 am »

Almost but not always. A bit unknown until we assemble our new squad but confident with the management team. Probably our best chance of becoming a stable L1 feature but we know how quickly things can change. We’re no nearer to competing at the top end granted.

You have to try (not easy) to look at things as a general football fan not a Cobblers supporter. We ALL want us to do well.

So Dav, just try divorcing yourself for one moment for being  a Cobblers fan and imagine the season ended NOW and the team in the first play-off place was promoted. This would be the line-up in League 1 next season.

BARNSLEY, BARROW, BLACKPOOL, BRISTOL ROVERS, BURTON ALBION, CAMBRIDGE UNITED, CHARLTON ATHLETIC, EXETER CITY, LEYTON ORIENT, LINCOLN CITY, MANSFIELD TOWN, NORTHAMPTON TOWN, OXFORD UNITED, ROTHERHAM UNITED, PETERBOROUGH UNITED, QPR, READING, SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY, SHREWSBURY TOWN, STEVENAGE BOROUGH, STOCKPORT COUNTY, WIGAN ATHLETIC, WREXHAM & WYCOMBE WANDERERS.

Taking into account financial clout, history, ambition, support, etc, where would you place Northampton in that list of clubs?

The best way to do this is put the other 23 in a list as how you think they'll finish, then put the Cobblers into that table. Like Nigel, its just a bit of fun.
Report Spam   Logged

Sometimes I'm right, sometimes I'm wrong. I'm only human.
TVOR

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2024, 10:41:50 am »

You have to try (not easy) to look at things as a general football fan not a Cobblers supporter. We ALL want us to do well.

So Dav, just try divorcing yourself for one moment for being  a Cobblers fan and imagine the season ended NOW and the team in the first play-off place was promoted. This would be the line-up in League 1 next season.

BARNSLEY, BARROW, BLACKPOOL, BRISTOL ROVERS, BURTON ALBION, CAMBRIDGE UNITED, CHARLTON ATHLETIC, EXETER CITY, LEYTON ORIENT, LINCOLN CITY, MANSFIELD TOWN, NORTHAMPTON TOWN, OXFORD UNITED, ROTHERHAM UNITED, PETERBOROUGH UNITED, QPR, READING, SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY, SHREWSBURY TOWN, STEVENAGE BOROUGH, STOCKPORT COUNTY, WIGAN ATHLETIC, WREXHAM & WYCOMBE WANDERERS.

Taking into account financial clout, history, ambition, support, etc, where would you place Northampton in that list of clubs?

The best way to do this is put the other 23 in a list as how you think they'll finish, then put the Cobblers into that table. Like Nigel, its just a bit of fun.
I had a go. Somewhere between 11th and 15th.
Report Spam   Logged
Bingers

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2024, 10:48:31 am »

The title on this thread is END OF SEASON PREDICTIONS, Not end of life predictions.

I have got an end of life prediction - I will be dead.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2015
TPFKA Marvo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2024, 10:52:06 am »

The problem is Bingers, we're going to have a midtable finish, we're not used to that. If you are not going to be promoted and you are not going to be relegated, where you finish is really pretty irrelevant.
Report Spam   Logged

Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2024, 10:53:53 am »

So Dav, just try divorcing yourself for one moment for being  a Cobblers fan

I like the stats. I like the predictions. But how can anyone divorce themselves from the reason we do what we do. For supporters like us, our decision defy not only common sense, but economical sense as well. But there is absolutely no solace or sense to be gained from stacking up what is a passion, against pure statistics. I love riding motorcycles. I like all sorts. I've had slow ones. And I have had ones that would give nearly everything a run for its money. But it's makes no sense economically, or statistically, if I look at the odds of a serious accident. But the sheer thrill of the machine is beyond comparison. I look forward to the Cobblers every week. I look forward to the journey's, the people, the hope and anticipation. That is what gives us this feeling of life.

When you play golf Marvo, you know you will only ever compete at a certain level. Albeit good, it is probably quite a way off of ever doing it for a living. Or competing regularly  at a professional level. But you do it because it gives you that buzz. That sense of "what if". Society spend all too much time these days asking us to compare our success to those at the top, in every aspect. I have no intentions of doing that. I love the Cobblers warts an all. I appreciate the potential. I appreciate the other infinite possibilities around that. But most of all I love them at this moment in time.

I will deal with relegation/promotion when it comes. And I'd imagine I will be fine with both.
Report Spam   Logged
lordjord

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2024, 11:22:46 am »

The problem is Bingers, we're going to have a midtable finish, we're not used to that. If you are not going to be promoted and you are not going to be relegated, where you finish is really pretty irrelevant.

I know in the premier league there is different prize money for each league position, do you know if its the same in League 1? Not sure how it all works further down the pyramid.
Report Spam   Logged
TPFKA Marvo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2024, 11:31:45 am »

Golf is a bad comparison. Due to the handicap system, I could on a good day beat any other handicapper. Sometimes I do.

No such thing in football. The richer you are, the higher up you'll go. We are currently probably higher than we could reasonably expect but there is still some way to go and as I "predicted" in this very thread I reckon we'll finish around 18th which is where I expected us to at the start of the season. So all the ups and downs, the injury list, the signings, luck (both good and bad), the surprising victories, the shocking defeats, after all that, we'll be where we would expect to be. If you fell in a coma today and was brought back 20, 30, 50 years from now, I reckon you'd hardly notice any difference in the teams at the top and the bottom of the football ladder. The only thing that can change that status is the highly sought after mythical billionaire choosing the Cobblers as his play thing. Hope for the best, expect the worse and know your place in the great scheme of things and you wont go far wrong.
Report Spam   Logged

TPFKA Marvo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2024, 11:35:03 am »

I know in the premier league there is different prize money for each league position, do you know if its the same in League 1? Not sure how it all works further down the pyramid.

It does indeed.

The breakdown of Sky Bet League 1 prize money distribution follows a general structure where the highest amount is awarded to the league winner, followed by decreasing amounts for the subsequent positions in the league table.
Report Spam   Logged

TPFKA Marvo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2024, 11:53:03 am »

I've just done a bit of delving. The average prize money in League 1 is £230,000. So if you times that by 24 clubs you are looking at roughly 5.5 million in total. It would be reasonable to expect that the average payment would be for teams 12th/13th however the team finishing first gets £600,000 and the team second £500,000 so that's over a million gone of prize money for the first two teams.

I've no idea but my guess would be there would be about £10,000 difference between each place which is chicken feed really. Imagine as somebody said earlier that we had an away capacity of 5,000 and Bolton filled it this Saturday? That would likely earn us more than the difference of finishing 11th to 21st. Sort of puts it into perspective.
Report Spam   Logged

DavCobb

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2024, 11:59:44 am »

Not in the bottom 4 that’s for sure.
The beauty of football is that it not solely based on history, budget and knowing what we think we know. Otherwise Chelsea wouldn’t have stuffed Villa last night and none of this ‘big’ teams would drop out of the football league.
Not too long ago a young Luton fan may have considered their life following a non-league team.
We had a brief nose bleed in the 60’s and whilst it is hard for anyone under the age of 70 to be too optimistic, we have to hope that we could be in for greater things at some point….i.e. The Championship in our case.
Otherwise we should quit moaning, park any hopes of anything other than the league 1/2 cycle and carry on. I remember my significant early supporting career. Always wondering if we’d stay in the league and not even dreaming about the Graham Carr season.
We’ll get our ‘moment’ again, it just depends how many of us are here to see it! It’s why I’d love to play in a decent stadium like the Saints. We’re at least a generation away from anything happening at Sixfields.
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2024, 12:22:41 pm »

Why laptop? I watch on my TV.

Sorry, I'm a numbers man. You should recall when everyone was shitting themselves about being in a relegation dog fight this season, I was the one assuring everybody we'd be fine. That's what history tells us. I didn't hear you complaining then.  
Now history indicating something else. Like Davcob says, that doesn't mean it will happen, it's just very likely. Not to worry though, if we were to finish where we are now, there's plenty of scope between 11th & 20th.

I'm not sure though why you concern yourself, the Cobblers always come second to you, pubs being your priority and whatever happens on the field I'm sure the pubs will remain open. I'm actually quite jealous, must be nice not caring about the result.
Talking s***e again. Maybe you'd like to go through my last few posts and see where a pub has been mentioned? Quite a while prior to Pompey.
Don't gaslight my commitment...I'm there, home and away, getting the singing going and yes, and enjoying the decent pubs, as well as the Victory and Mary Rose Museum in last weekend's case!
Sunday, will be making my second visit to the World's oldest club, Sheffield FC to cheer on NTFC Ladies.
What the fcuk will you be doing? Don't answer...it's rhetorical!
Report Spam   Logged
CobblerForever

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2024, 12:24:37 pm »

In League One, clubs do not receive any prize money for getting promoted or winning the play-off final. However, each League One club receives a base payment of £677,000 per season, regardless of their league position. Additionally, they receive a solidarity payment of £645,000 from the Premier League1.

The prize money structure for the League One play-offs is as follows:

Winners of the play-offs: £1.4 million (consisting of basic awards and solidarity payments)2.
Other than that, there are no additional prize money rewards for clubs in League One.
So, while the financial rewards for winning the play-offs are substantial, the regular season does not offer specific prize money beyond the fixed payments to each club.

Report Spam   Logged
DavCobb

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2024, 12:41:57 pm »

Can definitely compete against these:

BARROW, BLACKPOOL, BRISTOL ROVERS, BURTON ALBION, CAMBRIDGE UNITED, EXETER CITY, LEYTON ORIENT, OXFORD UNITED, SHREWSBURY TOWN, STEVENAGE BOROUGH, STOCKPORT COUNTY, WIGAN ATHLETIC, WREXHAM & WYCOMBE WANDERERS, LINCOLN CITY, MANSFIELD TOWN, ROTHERHAM UNITED

Expected to struggle to get much out of these:

BARNSLEY, CHARLTON ATHLETIC, PETERBOROUGH UNITED, QPR, READING, SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY

Not based on finances (which can change like the wind) but as 'names' as I perceive them.

Bottom 4....Barrow, Burton, Mansfield, Stevenage.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2024, 12:44:11 pm by DavCobb » Report Spam   Logged
TPFKA Marvo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2024, 12:50:59 pm »

Talking s***e again. Maybe you'd like to go through my last few posts and see where a pub has been mentioned? Quite a while prior to Pompey.
Don't gaslight my commitment...I'm there, home and away, getting the singing going and yes, and enjoying the decent pubs, as well as the Victory and Mary Rose Museum in last weekend's case!
Sunday, will be making my second visit to the World's oldest club, Sheffield FC to cheer on NTFC Ladies.
What the fcuk will you be doing? Don't answer...it's rhetorical!

Spending the day with my wife, watching the rugby at 3pm, Aston Villa v Manchester United at 16:30.

Start golf again end of this month. Why I'm trying to get the records finished, with have little time after that.

By the way, you started it (as usual). If you can't take it, don't give it out.
Report Spam   Logged

TPFKA Marvo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2024, 12:52:49 pm »

In League One, clubs do not receive any prize money for getting promoted or winning the play-off final. However, each League One club receives a base payment of £677,000 per season, regardless of their league position. Additionally, they receive a solidarity payment of £645,000 from the Premier League1.

The prize money structure for the League One play-offs is as follows:

Winners of the play-offs: £1.4 million (consisting of basic awards and solidarity payments)2.
Other than that, there are no additional prize money rewards for clubs in League One.
So, while the financial rewards for winning the play-offs are substantial, the regular season does not offer specific prize money beyond the fixed payments to each club.

That's not what this site says.

https://soccerhint.com/sky-bet-league-1-prize-money-the-analysis/
Report Spam   Logged

TPFKA Marvo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2024, 12:54:58 pm »

Can definitely compete against these:

BARROW, BLACKPOOL, BRISTOL ROVERS, BURTON ALBION, CAMBRIDGE UNITED, EXETER CITY, LEYTON ORIENT, OXFORD UNITED, SHREWSBURY TOWN, STEVENAGE BOROUGH, STOCKPORT COUNTY, WIGAN ATHLETIC, WREXHAM & WYCOMBE WANDERERS, LINCOLN CITY, MANSFIELD TOWN, ROTHERHAM UNITED

Expected to struggle to get much out of these:

BARNSLEY, CHARLTON ATHLETIC, PETERBOROUGH UNITED, QPR, READING, SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY

Not based on finances (which can change like the wind) but as 'names' as I perceive them.

Bottom 4....Barrow, Burton, Mansfield, Stevenage.

Okay Dav, we'll discuss the topic again next season, hopefully you'll be able to tell me "I told you so".
Report Spam   Logged

CobblerForever

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2024, 13:00:29 pm »

God knows what's right;

https://soccerhint.com/efl-championship-vs-league-one-the-comparison/#:~:text=The%20EFL%20League%20One%20Prize%20Money%20Clubs%20do,and%20%C2%A3645%2C000%20solidarity%20payment%20from%20the%20Premier%20League.
Report Spam   Logged
Gustavo Palcrice

In past I vote Spinoza now it is Tory.

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2024, 13:04:58 pm »

It will be summer.
Report Spam   Logged

There was a broken part now it fixed.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: