The Hotel End
March 04, 2024, 10:36:17 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

End of season predictions.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: End of season predictions.  (Read 1548 times)
DavCobb

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2024, 14:02:31 pm »

Okay Dav, we'll discuss the topic again next season, hopefully you'll be able to tell me "I told you so".

There'll be no "I told you so" Marvo as I'm not telling us anything.  Smiley

It was a view on a set of teams that we don't even know will be in the division yet. We don't know who will leave, who we will sign and who our manager will be.
I was pointing out that we should definitely be able to compete with the likes of Barrow, Oxford, Mansfield and co, no different to this season. I guess Wrexham may be an unknown but their rise up the leagues will come under challenge at some point, especially if they persist with the likes of Tozer.

If you want some actual 'predictions' this far out then I'll have a stab that Man City will be challenging for the Prem again.
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2024, 14:21:13 pm »

You have to try (not easy) to look at things as a general football fan not a Cobblers supporter. We ALL want us to do well.

So Dav, just try divorcing yourself for one moment for being  a Cobblers fan and imagine the season ended NOW and the team in the first play-off place was promoted. This would be the line-up in League 1 next season.

BARNSLEY, BARROW, BLACKPOOL, BRISTOL ROVERS, BURTON ALBION, CAMBRIDGE UNITED, CHARLTON ATHLETIC, EXETER CITY, LEYTON ORIENT, LINCOLN CITY, MANSFIELD TOWN, NORTHAMPTON TOWN, OXFORD UNITED, ROTHERHAM UNITED, PETERBOROUGH UNITED, QPR, READING, SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY, SHREWSBURY TOWN, STEVENAGE BOROUGH, STOCKPORT COUNTY, WIGAN ATHLETIC, WREXHAM & WYCOMBE WANDERERS.

Taking into account financial clout, history, ambition, support, etc, where would you place Northampton in that list of clubs?

The best way to do this is put the other 23 in a list as how you think they'll finish, then put the Cobblers into that table. Like Nigel, its just a bit of fun.
1. QPR
2. Sheffield W
3. Barnsley
4. Rotherham
5. Peterborough
6. Blackpool
7. Oxford
8. Charlton
9. Reading
10. Wrexham
11. Bristol R
12. Wigan
13. Stockport
14. Stevenage
15. Wycombe
16. Orient
17. Lincoln
18. Shrewsbury
19. Northampton
20. Burton
21. Mansfield
22. Cambridge
23. Exeter
24. Barrow
Right now you can pretty much pick the bottom half teams out of a hat, the summer window will be key.
Report Spam   Logged
Tabasco Kid

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2024, 15:15:58 pm »

Spending the day with my wife, watching the rugby at 3pm, Aston Villa v Manchester United at 16:30.
Thats a great day for her. Does she know your intentions yet?  Grin

Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
TPFKA Marvo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2024, 15:42:55 pm »

Thats a great day for her. Does she know your intentions yet?  Grin

She's not a TV watcher, prefers her mobile, mainly utube. I've told her she can watch the videos on the TV screen but she's not interested. Handy for me I guess though, no disputes in regard what's on the TV.
Report Spam   Logged

Sometimes I'm right, sometimes I'm wrong. I'm only human.
Manwork04

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2024, 08:22:03 am »

She's not a TV watcher, prefers her mobile, mainly utube. I've told her she can watch the videos on the TV screen but she's not interested. Handy for me I guess though, no disputes in regard what's on the TV.
I like that Marvo, king in your own castle, I hope she keeps you supplied with cool beers and sandwiches.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2024, 08:24:06 am »

Congratulations, Iím 5th in line for the remote.
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
Worthless Recluse

Keep it up, keep it up.

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2024, 08:27:01 am »

Mine goes in the spare room when I ask her to.
Report Spam   Logged

HanleyplayedFender.
Manwork04

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2024, 08:37:36 am »

Thatís the spirit.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
TPFKA Marvo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2024, 09:34:56 am »

We have a TV in the conservatory, the wife is in their most of the time except winter. Still mostly on her phone though.

We've also got a cabin at the bottom of the garden which is hers, settee, couple of chairs, quite nice but no TV and our Wi-Fi doesn't stretch that far so she doesn't use it much.
Report Spam   Logged

DavCobb

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2024, 09:55:08 am »

"Now it places the lotion in the basket"
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2024, 10:00:36 am »

I like that Marvo, king in your own castle, I hope she keeps you supplied with cool beers and sandwiches.

And types his posts on this website, whilst he sits there supping away and dictates.
Report Spam   Logged
Worthless Recluse

Keep it up, keep it up.

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2024, 11:07:23 am »

We have a TV in the conservatory, the wife is in their most of the time except winter. Still mostly on her phone though.

We've also got a cabin at the bottom of the garden which is hers, settee, couple of chairs, quite nice but no TV and our Wi-Fi doesn't stretch that far so she doesn't use it much.
We've just moved and also now have a summerhouse/cabin with light and power at the bottom of the garden, I shall plant the seed.
My missus was a season ticket holder for circa 15 years and must have visited 50+ grounds with me (she even managed to get herself to Maine Rd, a game i couldnt get to) but these days as soon as I put any kind of football on she legs it to another room, often without even being asked.
Quite right really.

To her credit, without ever playing the game or indeed any sport, she used to fully understand the offside rule and often interpreted it better than most of those around her when at Sixfields. Now neither of us have a scooby on that acount.
Report Spam   Logged

HanleyplayedFender.
AYelvertoftCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2024, 11:18:23 am »

Back on topic, how many points are we going to have come the end of season?

I just looked on https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/league-one/league-table/predicted
While this is probably not going to be a good predictor of the actual final table it gives 45 points as the
number of the club in 20th position - safety. So 2 more wins this season probably means safety.
Peterborough go into the last playoff place with 85 points.

We are unlikely to get less than a minumum of a point a game, so 57 points come the end of season.
Pretty much everything going right tmaximum is 2 points a game average, so 74 points end of the season.
Current points per game is just under 1.7 points per game, so 68 points come the end of season.

Last 2 years I seem to think we have had pretty bad (comparatively) spells from Feb to April. So I tend to agree with the 62 points that the website above gives us.
In any case we are *almost* safe and pretty much mathematically certain to not get in the playoffs.

My prediction is 65 points - probably about 12th - be nice to say we finished top half.
Report Spam   Logged
Monkey

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2024, 11:41:10 am »

It could go any which way so I'll take the mathematical approach and base it on our average points to date... that puts us at 63 points, which should get us to around 14th.
Report Spam   Logged
Worthless Recluse

Keep it up, keep it up.

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2024, 12:23:57 pm »

16th place and 55 points.
Report Spam   Logged

HanleyplayedFender.
Larry

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 10, 2024, 06:04:23 am »

Spending the day with my wife, watching the rugby at 3pm, Aston Villa v Manchester United at 16:30.

Start golf again end of this month. Why I'm trying to get the records finished, with have little time after that.

By the way, you started it (as usual). If you can't take it, don't give it out.

Aston Villa v Man U is on Sunday
Report Spam   Logged
TPFKA Marvo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: February 10, 2024, 07:17:49 am »

Sunday, will be making my second visit to the World's oldest club, Sheffield FC to cheer on NTFC Ladies.
What the fcuk will you be doing? Don't answer...it's rhetorical!

Aston Villa v Man U is on Sunday

Your point?

So eager is your need, some might even call it an obsession, to get one over on me you can't even be bothered to read what I was replying to.
Report Spam   Logged

Tabasco Kid

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 10, 2024, 07:49:07 am »

Your point?

So eager is your need, some might even call it an obsession, to get one over on me you can't even be bothered to read what I was replying to.
  Grin Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
Manwork04

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 10, 2024, 08:35:01 am »

Back on topic, how many points are we going to have come the end of season?

I just looked on https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/league-one/league-table/predicted
While this is probably not going to be a good predictor of the actual final table it gives 45 points as the
number of the club in 20th position - safety. So 2 more wins this season probably means safety.
Peterborough go into the last playoff place with 85 points.

We are unlikely to get less than a minumum of a point a game, so 57 points come the end of season.
Pretty much everything going right tmaximum is 2 points a game average, so 74 points end of the season.
Current points per game is just under 1.7 points per game, so 68 points come the end of season.

Last 2 years I seem to think we have had pretty bad (comparatively) spells from Feb to April. So I tend to agree with the 62 points that the website above gives us.
In any case we are *almost* safe and pretty much mathematically certain to not get in the playoffs.

My prediction is 65 points - probably about 12th - be nice to say we finished top half.

I donít know where to start, so I will just state this if we finish the season with 45 points we will be relegated, you canít predict the end of season points tally on whatís gone before because there are so many variables, e.g. injuries, injuries to the team we are playing, current form, teams fighting relegation try harder etc etc.
50 points is usually enough, 52 to be sure.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Larry

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 10, 2024, 09:21:03 am »

Your point?

Sorry, I thought I was helping you.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: