The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 19:38:30 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Alistair Slowe

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 36   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alistair Slowe  (Read 61563 times)
MikeNTFC

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2010, 22:40:53 pm »

Im guess he hasnt got international clearance yet
Report Spam   Logged
Father Hiroshima Twinkie

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 11, 2010, 10:23:11 am »

I'd love to know the full story on this one. What took him to Ghana and play for a third division club there? Have you seen the photo of him? He looks like he would get sunburnt standing too close to a 60 watt light bulb. Heaveans knows how he survived in Cyprus and Ghana. On the plus side, I imagine the Ghanaian third division is pretty physical so League 2 will seem like a stroll in the park in that respect.

This thread does raise a more interesting point. Sammo must have a distinct lack of contacts and is somewhat reliant on Crosby to bring players in. He was essentially a one club player, learnt his management trade at the same club and has now become a manager there. Having not spread his wings means he has a passion for the club, but also he won't have made the friends that other managers who have been journeyman footballers. Time will tell on whether this will limit his ability as a manager.
Report Spam   Logged
Power Football

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2010, 14:08:41 pm »

Surprised we didn't see any of him yesterday, perhaps he is carrying a knock or something.
Report Spam   Logged
cricketside

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2010, 17:00:47 pm »

I'd love to know the full story on this one.

I'd sooner know the Euro Lottery winning numbers.
Report Spam   Logged

"Andrew Ellis was very much against what was going on. The Cardozas were strictly about business and development so that was him out the door. Andrew Ellis was only ever a football man."

*****And he appointed Terry Fenwick*****
nathan r

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2010, 11:19:48 am »

I'd love to know the full story on this one. What took him to Ghana and play for a third division club there? Have you seen the photo of him? He looks like he would get sunburnt standing too close to a 60 watt light bulb. Heaveans knows how he survived in Cyprus and Ghana. On the plus side, I imagine the Ghanaian third division is pretty physical so League 2 will seem like a stroll in the park in that respect.

This thread does raise a more interesting point. Sammo must have a distinct lack of contacts and is somewhat reliant on Crosby to bring players in. He was essentially a one club player, learnt his management trade at the same club and has now become a manager there. Having not spread his wings means he has a passion for the club, but also he won't have made the friends that other managers who have been journeyman footballers. Time will tell on whether this will limit his ability as a manager.

cloughie had peter taylor do pic out decent players, he just managed them and what a manager he was!
Report Spam   Logged
MikeNTFC

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2010, 11:33:26 am »

This is very unfair indeed.

Where Sammo may not have the greatest of contacts in the game he did have Crosby as a contact. Just so happens Crosby now works under Sammo and has the connections. You'll bet your life no manger works alone in finding players, scouts and coaches, even players, help. Recommending former team mates ect. Only thing I care about is his ability to make a team play and get results, who or how these players are signed I don't care.

No manger lives and dies by their contacts.
Report Spam   Logged
Mark-JB

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 12, 2010, 15:58:26 pm »

This is very unfair indeed.

Where Sammo may not have the greatest of contacts in the game he did have Crosby as a contact. Just so happens Crosby now works under Sammo and has the connections. You'll bet your life no manger works alone in finding players, scouts and coaches, even players, help. Recommending former team mates ect. Only thing I care about is his ability to make a team play and get results, who or how these players are signed I don't care.

No manger lives and dies by their contacts.

I agree with this.

It seems the suggestion is that because Sammo has only played for Sunderland and Northampton professionally (and Spurs kind of) that he has:

- Never met a footballer from another club
- Never worked out how a phone works to call managers of other clubs (and if he has worked that part out, doesn't apparently have the balls to give Sir Alex a cheeky call and ask if he's got any available players for loan or any advice)
- Doesn't have any friends
- Doesn't know how to make contacts
- Doesn't have any scouting network
- Hasn't given out his phone number to agents

Poor bugger has no chance does he?  Wink

Report Spam   Logged
The 12th Marquis of Sixfields
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
Search Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #67 on: July 12, 2010, 17:08:58 pm »

I bet he's friends with loads of footballers on Facebook
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2023
DustCobb

« Reply #68 on: July 12, 2010, 19:40:28 pm »

I reckon Sammo lives in a room, alone, throwing a ball against the wall in his spare time  Wink Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Mark-JB

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2010, 20:56:49 pm »

I reckon Sammo lives in a room, alone, throwing a ball against the wall in his spare time  Wink Grin

Well pretending to be Steve McQueen can be quite time consuming...
Report Spam   Logged
Father Hiroshima Twinkie

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 12, 2010, 22:13:33 pm »

The Euro numbers were

09 24 37 39 49 03 09

I still think that stories about playing for Ghanaian 3rd Division club would be more interesting.

The Cloughie analogy  is useful, because without Taylor at Leeds he just signed his former players. Although saying that it wouldn't have mattered who he signed at Leeds he still would have failed.

I don't think I'm being unfair on Sammo, a lack of contacts is inevitable, that is one of the reasons Croby was brought in. It is also borne out by his signings which have been either through Crosby or players he has seen last season. Anyway, each manager has their own strengths and weaknesses, particularly young managers. Like I say, time will tell whether this a major limitation or not. I'm on the fence.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #71 on: July 13, 2010, 04:33:37 am »

Well pretending to be Steve McQueen can be quite time consuming...

Who didn't think of Steve McQueen?  Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
New Dawn Fades

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 13, 2010, 09:42:20 am »

Are we still waiting for international clearence? seems a bit odd considering the guy is English?
Report Spam   Logged

Can of Strongbow, Im a mess
Son Of Geoff

Old T*ts

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 13, 2010, 10:29:09 am »

his signings....have been either through Crosby or players he has seen last season.

You seem to have changed your angle slightly here. Are you now suggesting that not only does Sammo have no contacts, but he cannot have watched a player unless they featured in a match against the Cobblers last season?
Report Spam   Logged

Don't. Talk. Sh*te. Twice.
NTFC Nut

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 13, 2010, 12:01:46 pm »

I think Sammo watches a lot more football than you give him credit for. He has certainly seen at least one Stoke City reserves game as that's where he firsat spotted Wedderburn.
Report Spam   Logged

MikeNTFC

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 13, 2010, 13:47:23 pm »

Wonder if he's learnt from Atkins. Being at some shoddy reserve game on a tuseday night that no one cares about  Grin

Off the top of my head he has contacts such as Atkins, Wilkinson, Ian Taylor, Gray and Calderwood, at the very least?

Report Spam   Logged
Power Football

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 13, 2010, 13:58:21 pm »

Wonder if he's learnt from Atkins. Being at some shoddy reserve game on a tuseday night that no one cares about  Grin

Off the top of my head he has contacts such as Atkins, Wilkinson, Ian Taylor, Gray and Calderwood, at the very least?

Exactly, and you can add Slade, Gorman and Trollope to that.

I would imagine Tim Flowers would know one or two people too.
Report Spam   Logged
Alfred

View Profile
Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #77 on: July 13, 2010, 15:46:57 pm »

Exactly, and you can add Slade, Gorman and Trollope to that.

I would imagine Tim Flowers would know one or two people too.
Not forgetting,  his good mate Dean Windass, Sean Dyche, Dave Watson, Jim Barron, Jim Blyth, Eion Jess, Paul Crichton, David Kerslake, John Deehan  and unfortuantly Kevin Wilson
Report Spam   Logged
cobblersareus

« Reply #78 on: July 13, 2010, 16:30:35 pm »

Slowe was having a trial at Newcastle, which is where our former manager, Colin Calderwood, is now assistant manager. Could that be Sammos contact for this signing?
 Slowe has been added to the squad list today, so I assume his clearance is through. Squad numbers aren't submitted for a few weeks, which is why some don't have one yet.
Report Spam   Logged
NTFC Nut

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 13, 2010, 17:23:13 pm »

Slowe was having a trial at Newcastle, which is where our former manager, Colin Calderwood, is now assistant manager. Could that be Sammos contact for this signing?
 Slowe has been added to the squad list today, so I assume his clearance is through. Squad numbers aren't submitted for a few weeks, which is why some don't have one yet.

I think we've already established who the contact was andd how we knew about him, the first two and a half pages of this thread were just one long whinge about how supposedly dodgy it all was...
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 36   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: