The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 16:52:10 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Listen to big Dave,

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listen to big Dave,  (Read 7182 times)
Grove

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« on: May 05, 2011, 07:21:21 am »

TCMP wont like this
http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/local/cobblers_chairman_in_shock_political_move_1_2649061
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Monty

View Profile
Windows User Apple User Combination
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 07:53:17 am »

I've a feeling TC will like it more than the LibDems do. It's an unprecedented step (at least for Northampton) for a club owner to do this - it highlights how much DC feels let down by the current administration. But what does he do now if the LibDems get in?
Report Spam   Logged

Hotel End Grand National Sweepstake Winner 2018, Fantasy Premier League Winner 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
syd puddefoot

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 08:02:00 am »

It's a calculated move and a dangerous one, I hope it comes off for him. I see the Saints aren't going to be drawn into doing the same.

In reality I don't see how he could do much else. The Libdems are going to take a thrashing, the Labour pary are in no position (in this town) to take advantage so the Tories are the only option for Dave. What we will do if as most expect they still let us down (again) I don't know. I guess the dream will be well and truly over.
Report Spam   Logged
ntfc_alex

Andy Holt is a god

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Starter
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 08:15:49 am »

Wish I lived in Northampton now rather than me wasting my vote on someone who won't win in Wellingborough
Report Spam   Logged
paul_ntfc

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 08:46:49 am »

I think we as fans can appreciate reality  - in this case the only option open to DC is the Blue one - All he is doing is reinforcing that view and a view he believes in. Sure vote whoever you want nationally but here there is a choice between two options.

In my case this was even more so this morning because there is no Labour candidates (or Independents) standing in Upton!
Report Spam   Logged
Monty

View Profile
Windows User Apple User Combination
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 08:54:56 am »

It's a ridiculous thing to do.. It's more likely to alienate people than encourage them to vote "4 A BIGA FUTBUL GROWND".
At least he stopped short of asking all NTFC fans to vote for the Conservatives - that would have been ridiculous. He only just stopped short, though...
Report Spam   Logged

Hotel End Grand National Sweepstake Winner 2018, Fantasy Premier League Winner 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
Positively Mad Mark

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 09:46:54 am »

Dangerous to talk politics but everyone is entitled to their opinion and DC must be running close on ideas.
Report Spam   Logged
Mark-JB

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 19:03:01 pm »

I don't see what the issue is.

Big Dave thinks the Tories give him his best chance of getting his redevelopment.

Big Dave then says that.

Its up to the voters whether they agree with him or not isn't it? That's the beauty of democracy.  Cool
Report Spam   Logged
ntfcgavin

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Combination
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 19:19:14 pm »

Ive done my bit for big dave! was hardly a tough choice, the options were tories or lib dems where i live  Roll Eyes no brainer really!
Report Spam   Logged
abington_cobbler

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 19:24:56 pm »

Ive done my bit for big dave! was hardly a tough choice, the options were tories or lib dems where i live  Roll Eyes no brainer really!

I also did my bit for Dave.... Where were the independents etc? In Abington we only had 3 main parties. It would have been easy if using the proposed AV, my number 3 would have been Lib Dem
Report Spam   Logged
Gonzales

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 19:40:22 pm »

I don't really see why this is any way a problem or controversial. DC is just as entitled to an opinion as anyone else, and he is obviously going to choose the party who will help his club the most. It just happens that he has a platform to voice his opinion. 'Celebrities' publically support their political parties all the time. Who says it's controversial?

Even if DC had told all Cobblers fans to vote Tory, because of a minor thing called 'free will', people can choose whether to vote for Tory, Labour, Lib Dem or even the Monster Raving Loony Party if you want to. By the same token, DC is entitled to express his opinion. Simple.
Report Spam   Logged
SteveRiches

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 19:55:14 pm »

If the Tories get in (and there's no way they'll have an overall majority) and they then said yes, please do have some big food retail at Sixfields, one of the other political groups will "call it in". They're like a bunch of scrapping kids. The best result will be some sort of finish where they all have to co-operate, do trade-offs and various agreements, and in that situation they all have to agree on a solution for Sixfields, in which case none of them will call it in because they'll have been part of the decision.
I think it is very unwise for a club chairman to enter party politics because the paying public at his turnstiles will be a complete mixture of voters. Having said that it's clear to any unbiased observer that the worst result for our club would be a big Lib Dem success, they've already proved themselves a duplicitious bunch of nerks, but for that very reason I expect them to get a big pasting at the hands of the local voters; without a doubt the fewer of them there are the better will things be for the Saints and Cobblers because their pathetic dissenting voices will be at home watching telly instead of spouting tripe at council meetings.
Hopefully David Cardoza should get some of what he wants but not necessarily in the exact form he'd ideally like. Large food retail is unlikely to get the communal nod, (although I'd be happy if it did happen) but some other sort of retail may well be allowed.
This is not an anti-Cardoza post, by the way, I just felt he should have said it is up to the people who are elected by our supporters to make the right decisions - actually telling people how to vote can easily backfire on the lot of us at a later date.
Or, maybe he knows more than the rest of us and is certain that batting openly for one party in particular will bring definite rewards. None of us knows what goes on in all those off-the-record meetings that people never have.
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 20:05:33 pm »

If the Tories get in (and there's no way they'll have an overall majority) and they then said yes, please do have some big food retail at Sixfields, one of the other political groups will "call it in". They're like a bunch of scrapping kids. The best result will be some sort of finish where they all have to co-operate, do trade-offs and various agreements, and in that situation they all have to agree on a solution for Sixfields, in which case none of them will call it in because they'll have been part of the decision.
I think it is very unwise for a club chairman to enter party politics because the paying public at his turnstiles will be a complete mixture of voters. Having said that it's clear to any unbiased observer that the worst result for our club would be a big Lib Dem success, they've already proved themselves a duplicitious bunch of nerks, but for that very reason I expect them to get a big pasting at the hands of the local voters; without a doubt the fewer of them there are the better will things be for the Saints and Cobblers because their pathetic dissenting voices will be at home watching telly instead of spouting tripe at council meetings.
Hopefully David Cardoza should get some of what he wants but not necessarily in the exact form he'd ideally like. Large food retail is unlikely to get the communal nod, (although I'd be happy if it did happen) but some other sort of retail may well be allowed.
This is not an anti-Cardoza post, by the way, I just felt he should have said it is up to the people who are elected by our supporters to make the right decisions - actually telling people how to vote can easily backfire on the lot of us at a later date.
Or, maybe he knows more than the rest of us and is certain that batting openly for one party in particular will bring definite rewards. None of us knows what goes on in all those off-the-record meetings that people never have.

Well 'Lord Sugar' hasn't done too bad despite his very public political standing. Ditto 'Lord Sainsbury'. Two huge brands. So what exactly is the problem with what DC said reference the Conservatives? Its his opinion and he's stating it.

He's the chairman of a bloody football club, thats all. He can say what he wants. All this talk of backfiring on him etc is rubbish, because lets face it he will influence more to his way of thinking than not. But the numbers wont be great and in the grand scheme of things wont make a difference. He knows he will never get anywhere with the Lib Dems whilst the Labour Party have not committed themselves to the cause which only means one thing.

With a choice of Tory and Labour (that was it!) I voted Tory. But I don't think living in Rushden will influence much!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Enya_NTFC

View Profile
Combination Poll Voter Level 5
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2011, 20:20:21 pm »

Wish I lived in Northampton now rather than me wasting my vote on someone who won't win in Wellingborough

Only had 4 options for welly, 2 Tory, 1 Labour, 1 UKIP.

I also had Parish elections.
Report Spam   Logged

Bog Paper

Lavatory Paper Connoisseur

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2011, 20:31:59 pm »

Try living in Grange Park! 2 Conservatives and 1 Green candidate. Pathetic! OK, so this ward is likely to be Conservative, but at least make a fight of it. It's almost like living in the Middle Ages when Rotten Boroughs were the scandal of the day.

As for Steve's remarks about DC getting involved in politics, sorry but I'm with Drilling on this. He can say what he wants. He can even stand if he feels strongly enough about it. And if you have views, why not try to influence others? Steve obviously thinks the Cobblers fans are brainless dimwits who can't think for themselves and would put their heads in gas ovens if DC urged them to.

Steve: there's a little-known club in Italy called AC Milan whose owner decided to dabble in politics and although he may have been the subject of one or two scandals, has done quite well at it and so has his football club. Or so I hear. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Report Spam   Logged

It has to be "B"
Another big smile on my face. I always get the big decisions right.

Couldn't be happier, you can all blame me if it turns pear shaped. Up next year without a doubt and no need of the play-offs.
SteveRiches

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2011, 20:42:20 pm »

Of course DC can say what he wants, that doesn't make it wise, though. I thought the contrast between our club's statement about the local elections and the Saints' more measured tones showed them to be the wiser of the two in this instance. That's my opinion, it doesn't make me a Cardoza-hater, I'm far from that.
Report Spam   Logged
Bog Paper

Lavatory Paper Connoisseur

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2011, 20:48:10 pm »

Why is it unwise then? What's the problem?

Personally, I welcome people who will speak their mind and say it like they see it, instead of all these prats who have had the media training and say nothing of any interest in interviews. Good for DC. Maybe next week, he will reveal that TC used to bite children's heads off or something and that he was a closet Commie.
Report Spam   Logged

It has to be "B"
Another big smile on my face. I always get the big decisions right.

Couldn't be happier, you can all blame me if it turns pear shaped. Up next year without a doubt and no need of the play-offs.
syd puddefoot

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2011, 21:04:01 pm »

Well I'm going to side with Steve Riches, it was unwise and it was uneccessary, the Saints handled the situation much better, something along the lines that our fans know who to vote for to best help the club, without putting a name to a political party. One day in the future we may need the votes of the Liberals or the Labour party to secure the expansion of the ground. This proclomation puts that help in grave doubt.
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2011, 21:15:41 pm »

Well I'm going to side with Steve Riches, it was unwise and it was uneccessary, the Saints handled the situation much better, something along the lines that our fans know who to vote for to best help the club, without putting a name to a political party. One day in the future we may need the votes of the Liberals or the Labour party to secure the expansion of the ground. This proclomation puts that help in grave doubt.

Thats probably because there isn't a single Labour supporting Saints fan in existence! He therefore doesn't exactly need to tell them who to vote for!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
ntfc_alex

Andy Holt is a god

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Starter
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2011, 21:17:47 pm »

Only had 4 options for welly, 2 Tory, 1 Labour, 1 UKIP.

I also had Parish elections.

My choice was worse, 2 Tory, 1 Labour and a BNP  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: