The Hotel End
April 20, 2024, 04:38:14 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Starting line-up August 6th.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Starting line-up August 6th.  (Read 7205 times)
SATURDAY BANANA

Badges: (View All)
« Reply #120 on: August 01, 2011, 22:04:36 pm »

Harrad's been given a chance already, now its Jake Robinson's turn.

Nice selection problem to have though isn't it? Strength in depth at the front is surely better than we've had for donkies years?
Harrad
Bayo
Robinson
Jacobs
Mckoy
Davies even....

We are spoiled this season and still we seem to find negatives....not you directly just a general observation.
Report Spam   Logged
TheBigPicture

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #121 on: August 01, 2011, 23:15:38 pm »

Nice selection problem to have though isn't it? Strength in depth at the front is surely better than we've had for donkies years?
Harrad
Bayo
Robinson
Jacobs
Mckoy
Davies even....

We are spoiled this season and still we seem to find negatives....not you directly just a general observation.

Yeah it's always a nice problem to have, with Purcell, the austrain lad to come into the group aswell, plenty of options going forward. Bayo is a no brainer and it appears Robinson is his strike partner as preferred choice to Harrad at the moment.

Ive got nothing against Harrad, however so far for me he hasnt particularly shown or justified the fee we've payed for him. You may argue he hasnt been getting the service but it isnt always about relying on others, you've got to try to make things happen for yourself - for me he hasnt quite been hitting the mark yet, maybe GJ has been thinking along the same lines. My gut feeling is he isnt the type to stick around too long playing second fiddle to Jake Robinson that is all i'm saying.
Report Spam   Logged
DanWazz

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 01, 2011, 23:28:43 pm »

It's unfair to compare Robinson and Harrad, they are totally different players. GJ likes Bayo at top with 3 players buzzing around him, that's not Harrad's style. He sits on the last defender and makes runs in behind. Robinson comes deep, run's all over the place from left mid to right.

The system that GJ is playing doesn't suit Harrad but does suit Robinson, so that's why Robinson is in the team and playing well because the formation is playing to his strengths. I'm sure if we were playing a 4-4-2 formation, we would see why Torquay and Shrewsbury played Robinson on the right rather than up top.

When we play 4-4-2 this season, Harrad will start and Purcell (If he's back from his loan or full fitness etc) will be the striker coming on for one of either Bayo or Harrad with Robinson playing on the right. That's just my theory.
Report Spam   Logged
TheBigPicture

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 01, 2011, 23:33:03 pm »

Nahh give him some respect he'll make Jan transfer window atleast Wink

Evil
Report Spam   Logged
TheBigPicture

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 01, 2011, 23:43:26 pm »

It's unfair to compare Robinson and Harrad, they are totally different players. GJ likes Bayo at top with 3 players buzzing around him, that's not Harrad's style. He sits on the last defender and makes runs in behind. Robinson comes deep, run's all over the place from left mid to right.

The system that GJ is playing doesn't suit Harrad but does suit Robinson, so that's why Robinson is in the team and playing well because the formation is playing to his strengths. I'm sure if we were playing a 4-4-2 formation, we would see why Torquay and Shrewsbury played Robinson on the right rather than up top.

When we play 4-4-2 this season, Harrad will start and Purcell (If he's back from his loan or full fitness etc) will be the striker coming on for one of either Bayo or Harrad with Robinson playing on the right. That's just my theory.

I'm certainly not comparing them like for like, i'm just merely going by what the friendly line-ups suggest, I agree with your theory though the side could well be switched up depending on the formation and shape and Harrad could be up top alongside the big man, something I think would benefit him no-end, a la Mckay.
Report Spam   Logged
threeinabed

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #125 on: August 02, 2011, 06:43:48 am »

if pre season is anything to go buy we arent going to be playing 4-4-2 this season
Report Spam   Logged
guest49

« Reply #126 on: August 02, 2011, 07:19:12 am »

Ive got nothing against Harrad, however so far for me he hasnt particularly shown or justified the fee we've payed for him.

What?! I read that you can only get a boring Audi for £30k these days. I'd much rather have a boring striker. If Harrad can't score regularly off the hold up play and service from Bayo, then it'll be another decent goal scorer ruined. By the looks of things we may not see them much together though. 
Report Spam   Logged
Montgomery Eypoke III

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 02, 2011, 10:36:52 am »

People have all the right to discuss about how **** we've been playing.
Johnson has had enough to time to work with us and yet we're still playing ****.
Lewis Young has been given the number 2 shirt, christ sake when he came to the club.. Johnson said hes an out and out winger, something the cobblers haven't had in a long time and hes playing him right back.
As much as people love Bayo hes past it now IMO, might score 10+ this year but i cant see him doing much else for the team.
Id love to see Purcell and harrad get a chance together. maybe Robinson right wing and Jacobs left wing.
oh and also.... im sorry but playing 2 holding midfielders centre mid.. will.not.work (especially when ones a centre back)

Dross
Report Spam   Logged
Flyonthewall

« Reply #128 on: August 02, 2011, 10:42:58 am »

Dross

Agreed.

Pretty much everything Pepes has said is bollocks, whether it is his opinion or not, it is bollocks.
Report Spam   Logged
Montgomery Eypoke III

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 02, 2011, 10:48:03 am »

Harrad gone by christmas. Toys out of the pram.

Harrad doesn't look particularly happy about being out of the side already and GJ seems to like a player who will come back fighting for their place. He doesn't seem to have a lot of time for massaging the ego of sulking big timers.

I can very much see The Big Picture's prediction coming to fruition.

Report Spam   Logged
Flyonthewall

« Reply #130 on: August 02, 2011, 11:39:36 am »

I can't because Harrad will get plenty of game time.
Report Spam   Logged
Mark-JB

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 02, 2011, 12:03:33 pm »

To be prepared to fight for your place in a team surely you have to be pretty unhappy about the fact you're being left out of the side?
Report Spam   Logged
SATURDAY BANANA

« Reply #132 on: August 02, 2011, 15:19:34 pm »

Yeah it's always a nice problem to have, with Purcell, the austrain lad to come into the group aswell, plenty of options going forward. Bayo is a no brainer and it appears Robinson is his strike partner as preferred choice to Harrad at the moment.

Ive got nothing against Harrad, however so far for me he hasnt particularly shown or justified the fee we've payed for him. You may argue he hasnt been getting the service but it isnt always about relying on others, you've got to try to make things happen for yourself - for me he hasnt quite been hitting the mark yet, maybe GJ has been thinking along the same lines. My gut feeling is he isnt the type to stick around too long playing second fiddle to Jake Robinson that is all i'm saying.

I don't disagree .....I have wasted loads of money betting on him for first goal.
He will come good I'm sure, it's just when (and for which club) lol....
Report Spam   Logged
dave

View Profile
Apple User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #133 on: August 02, 2011, 15:20:44 pm »

Agreed.

Pretty much everything Pepes has said is bollocks, whether it is his opinion or not, it is bollocks.

I know Pepes in the "outside world" and your right... he talks bollocks  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Flyonthewall

« Reply #134 on: August 02, 2011, 16:10:34 pm »

I know Pepes in the "outside world" and your right... he talks bollocks  Grin

It is his opinion, which is fair enough, there is no right or wront. But he is wrong.
Report Spam   Logged
Grove

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 02, 2011, 19:40:12 pm »

People used to slag Kirk off the same way, in fact are they the same person? Kirk in particular has a very good goalscoring record at nearly every club he has played for. Just an observation, i think you need a Harrad around because with confidence he is our most natural goalscorer, like Kirk was.

So glad youre back lee a bit of sense, Krk was a good striker as is Harrad, cos they dont run around like headless chickens they are described as lazy. Kirk was here at the wrong time and not an ideal partner for McGleish, Harrad may not be the ideal partner for Bayo, only Johnson knows that .
Report Spam   Logged
guest47

« Reply #136 on: August 02, 2011, 19:46:07 pm »

So glad youre back lee a bit of sense, Krk was a good striker as is Harrad, cos they dont run around like headless chickens they are described as lazy. Kirk was here at the wrong time and not an ideal partner for McGleish, Harrad may not be the ideal partner for Bayo, only Johnson knows that .
Completely agree, once he got labelled lazy by the McGleish camp the knives were out. Mind you, he simply didn't score enough goals when he was here, perhaps being shoved out on the wing more than once didn't help.
Report Spam   Logged
Cockney Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 03, 2011, 11:49:45 am »

Problem is lee (and welcome back by the way, and I completely agree with what you're saying) is that I think Johnson has already made his mind up on Harrad and we're not going to see much of him even though he is our most natural striker.  To me this is, apart from last years disgrace, GJ biggest problem in that he has his favourites and is slinging out players who aren't "his" on nothing but personal preference rather than what someone is capable of providing.  And that criticism follows him whereever he has been, hence why we're signing all his previous club cast-offs

Maybe Harrad doesn't warrant having a team built around him just yet, but both him and Kirk are players that at our level you should be considering that.  Get the delivery and service right up front and they'll bang them in fun and if our midfield is a brilliant as half of you would have use to believe we can create that service.  Kirk never had that (our service up front was shite) and had to battle against McGleish being here-there-every-effing-where-except-for-where-he-was-supposed-to-be hoovering up what little service did come their way (McGleish worked because he sniffed out the ball all over the park, Kirk was in the right place but our build-up play could never get the thing to him). 

Different players, different tactics, but if we're as strong up front as believed (and I have my doubts) that Harrad should really be first name on the teamsheet if you want to guarantee goals
Report Spam   Logged
County Cobbler

« Reply #138 on: August 03, 2011, 12:43:36 pm »

Surely the whole point of management is that you do what you believe on each selection and formation of play! What you do not do is read fans forums and sway with the ever changing opinion.
GJ is better than the last half dozen 'coaches' DC employed and we should back him and the team from 3pm, 6th August.
Report Spam   Logged
threeinabed

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 03, 2011, 12:56:39 pm »

Problem is lee (and welcome back by the way, and I completely agree with what you're saying) is that I think Johnson has already made his mind up on Harrad and we're not going to see much of him even though he is our most natural striker.  To me this is, apart from last years disgrace, GJ biggest problem in that he has his favourites and is slinging out players who aren't "his" on nothing but personal preference rather than what someone is capable of providing.  And that criticism follows him whereever he has been, hence why we're signing all his previous club cast-offs

ian atkins had the same tried and trusted method................getting in players who you know can do a job for you, and that will work hard for you, and respect you rather than people who think they have a given right to be in the team whether they perform or not.

i think GJ has the plan that bayo is his first choice up front, and he needs someone to do his running - which is robinson, as harrad wont provide that.

harrad does give different options to the 2 mentioned above, but as a partnership GJ clearly thinks that bayo and robinson will work better in the long run that harrad with either of the 2.

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: