The Hotel End
April 18, 2024, 06:23:25 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Northampton in literature.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Northampton in literature.  (Read 988 times)
JollyCobbler

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« on: September 15, 2011, 23:06:14 pm »

I'm quite a horror buff, and have just finished reading a book called Kaleen Rae by David Brian. Came as quite a surprise to find that one of the stories in the book was based in Northampton! It was a tale called Lonely is the Night, and actually turned out to be a fairly decent read. Although I hadn't realised there were vampires prowling the streets of our town lol!
Anyway, my point is this. I know there have been numerous books about the town, and some about the club, but is anyone aware of any other 'fiction' which uses Northampton as its focal point?
I'd be interested in reading anything that does, so thanks in advance for any info received.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 06:17:26 am »

Voice of the Fire by Alan Moore?
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 06:37:29 am »

That's a suggestion rather than a recommendation, by the way. It's one that's on my "to read" list that I haven't got around to yet so don't blame me if it's crap.  Tongue

If you're interested in non-fiction, Andrew Collins' first two books are good reads about Northampton. They are part of a sort of autobiographical trilogy, one covering his school days, one his days as a student and the third about his working life. The first one, Where Did It All Go Right? is a brilliant read for anyone who grew up in the town in the 70's and 80's and paints a really warm, rose tinted view of the town that I remember from when I was a kid. It's one of those that makes you keep thinking "I remember those!" or "I used to do that!"

His second one, Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now starts about his days at Nene College. Most of the book is set in London after he moves away to university, but he still pops back from time to time and describes how his views on the town have changed. Not as good or evocative in the same way the first one was, but still well worth a read.

Steer clear of the third one, That's Me In The Corner; after enjoying the first two so much that is probably the most disappointed I've ever been by a book. It's a stinker!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 06:39:57 am by BackOfTheNet » Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
wrigleys

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 12:13:18 pm »

I'm quite a horror buff, and have just finished reading a book called Kaleen Rae by David Brian. Came as quite a surprise to find that one of the stories in the book was based in Northampton! It was a tale called Lonely is the Night, and actually turned out to be a fairly decent read. Although I hadn't realised there were vampires prowling the streets of our town lol!
Anyway, my point is this. I know there have been numerous books about the town, and some about the club, but is anyone aware of any other 'fiction' which uses Northampton as its focal point?
I'd be interested in reading anything that does, so thanks in advance for any info received.

Ha I just read the first few paragraphs on the Amazon 'look inside' thingy. Sums up Northampton pretty well!
Report Spam   Logged

Intravenous real ale at Sixfields. Make it happen
EastNpton

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 12:52:50 pm »

Ray Gosling's "Sum Total" is the best i.m.o

http://www.newstatesman.com/200408230035
Report Spam   Logged
JollyCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 14:36:15 pm »

Yeah, I really fancy reading this. Trouble is it's printed in a really small type set. Doubt my eyes could cope with the strain lol!
Report Spam   Logged
JollyCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 14:53:32 pm »

That's a suggestion rather than a recommendation, by the way. It's one that's on my "to read" list that I haven't got around to yet so don't blame me if it's crap.  Tongue

If you're interested in non-fiction, Andrew Collins' first two books are good reads about Northampton. They are part of a sort of autobiographical trilogy, one covering his school days, one his days as a student and the third about his working life. The first one, Where Did It All Go Right? is a brilliant read for anyone who grew up in the town in the 70's and 80's and paints a really warm, rose tinted view of the town that I remember from when I was a kid. It's one of those that makes you keep thinking "I remember those!" or "I used to do that!"

His second one, Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now starts about his days at Nene College. Most of the book is set in London after he moves away to university, but he still pops back from time to time and describes how his views on the town have changed. Not as good or evocative in the same way the first one was, but still well worth a read.

Steer clear of the third one, That's Me In The Corner; after enjoying the first two so much that is probably the most disappointed I've ever been by a book. It's a stinker!

Thanks, will keep an eye out for them.
Report Spam   Logged
JollyCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 14:56:30 pm »

Ha I just read the first few paragraphs on the Amazon 'look inside' thingy. Sums up Northampton pretty well!

Yep, was nice to see the town descibed so aptly. The council would be having kittens lol! Grin
Report Spam   Logged
JollyCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 14:59:35 pm »

Ray Gosling's "Sum Total" is the best i.m.o

http://www.newstatesman.com/200408230035

Have to be honest and say i'd never heard of this, so thanks.
Report Spam   Logged
sbedscobb

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 18:42:17 pm »

Collins book 'where did it all go right' sums up the problem the Cobblers have attracting young support, Collins was never taken to watch football by his father but instead bought a Leeds scarf! He only mentions our fall from grace in the 60's and very little else Cobblers related. Good read other wise.
Report Spam   Logged
EastNpton

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 12:37:10 pm »

Didn't like Collins book at all because coming from the Eastern District, it didn't mirror my upbringing or my peers. The fact that he never went to Cobblers despite living in Abington Vale is another moot point!
Report Spam   Logged
JollyCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2011, 19:32:50 pm »

Didn't like Collins book at all because coming from the Eastern District, it didn't mirror my upbringing or my peers. The fact that he never went to Cobblers despite living in Abington Vale is another moot point!

To be honest I hadn't even realised he was a Northampton lad. I'd heard of the books but didn't know they were about our town.
Report Spam   Logged
guest47

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2011, 20:42:08 pm »

To be fair, very few people went to The Cobblers when he was growing up. I doubt anyone from the Bold Dragoon lot went at all.
Report Spam   Logged
sbedscobb

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2011, 18:42:34 pm »

Read on twitter that Andrew Collins has spent time reading Frank Grandes Book as well as other Cobblers related books. He said he was never brought up on the Cobblers but wished he had, but said he's keen on them now
Report Spam   Logged
JollyCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2011, 20:50:48 pm »

Read on twitter that Andrew Collins has spent time reading Frank Grandes Book as well as other Cobblers related books. He said he was never brought up on the Cobblers but wished he had, but said he's keen on them now

Best if he gets himself along to a few games then Grin
Report Spam   Logged
EastNpton

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2011, 15:40:08 pm »

To be fair, very few people went to The Cobblers when he was growing up. I doubt anyone from the Bold Dragoon lot went at all.

Best bit in Alan Carr's autobiography is him getting terrified by the Bushwackers banging on the window of "the Farm" at Weston Favell Upper.  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Artlenock Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2011, 19:48:44 pm »

There's a crackin read called' That Beatin Rythm' by Paddy Grady which is essentially about the soul scene in Northampton/Northants in the 60's and 70's. Written from a teenager's pov, including the fights in town etc.  Not sure where you could get it from though.
Report Spam   Logged
Tyro
Sex Starved Voyeur

Please Don't Mention The Concrete Cows

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2011, 07:03:49 am »

Here

http://www.amazon.co.uk/That-Beatin-Rhythm-Paddy-Grady/dp/0954083202

Report Spam   Logged

Do you know what "Nemesis" means?

A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent personified in this case by a sex starved voyeur that is Tyro.
Artlenock Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2011, 11:28:47 am »

But for £44!!!! Shocked
Report Spam   Logged
Artlenock Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2011, 11:36:10 am »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kates-Legacy-Heroism-Conspiracy-Murder/dp/0595284647/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1322742658&sr=1-4

Here's another book written by an American but set in Northamptonshire (mainly the Rushden area) If you click on the link you can read some of the pages. I enjoyed the book for the local angle but you can very much tell it's written by an American. It even features a Cobblers supporter at the end!  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: