The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 14:44:18 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

DEFENCE

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DEFENCE  (Read 799 times)
Lebowski

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« on: August 08, 2010, 07:39:12 am »

It seems we have got all caught up in the pre season results, Why am I not surprised to see us concede 3 goals when it was quite apparent in pre season we was letting to many goals in. Message to sammo get it sorted quick, Stick that waste of space guinan at the back, he cant do any worse!!
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Welly Cobb

View Profile
Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 08:03:53 am »

Someone on the Torquay forum mentioned the fact that the defence wasn't getting organised by the goalkeeper very well - which considering Jannson is been here, according to the the chron, about two days seems unsuprising really.

Was only listening to the radio, so I honestly can't tell too much about what went wrong, but it sounded like Hall & Johnson (and Davis, who had a really shocking game) were the most at fault for two of the goals. Holt is obviously the most out-of-place player, but I didn't hear him do anything exactly wrong, though Radio commentatory doesn't give you great feedback on what they're doing off the ball. Would playing Harris there improve it at all?

After seeing Hall at Birmingham, you'd have thought that he looked an excellent pick for this league, so let's hope it was just an off game. John-John is young and maybe not 100% match fit, but we know how good he is from last year

You'd have though that defence would be the place Sammo would recognise talent the best. The problem is that the defence pretty much picks itself. With Hinton out, we have Rogers and Harris on the bench to come in and improve it, and I don't think either really would.

Hopefully we just need to gel a bit more. Beckwith and Johnson were 50% of the sixth best defence in the league last season (with the other two in it being the solid but uninspiring Gilbert and whoever was rotated in to play the other centre back). Dunn did make a lot of good saves last season (like Torquays keeper did for them), but I don't think Jannson made a single one yesterday, and I'm assuming that's probably the weakest link in that defence ... though Jannson hasn't had time to bed in yet really and wasn't at fault for any of the goals yesterday.
Report Spam   Logged
Ralap

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 10:29:03 am »

Jannson hasn't had time to bed in yet really and wasn't at fault for any of the goals yesterday.

I have just watched the goals and hope he is very dissapointed with himself for not holding the ball for the second goal. (It may have been the third)
Report Spam   Logged
NTFC Nut

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 11:20:42 am »

Personally I'd swap Holt and Hall over. Hall played in the centre on many occasions for Coventry and did a good job there; at 34 it's probably wiser to put him in the middle because playing at centre-half is more about the mental aspect of your game rather than fitness and I don't think we can doubt him there. Holt has played left-back for most of his career and knows that position inside out. It just doesn't make sense to put Hall at LB and Holt at CB when they'd be much better suited to swapping positions.

I also hope Harris gets a chance to show us what he can do in a competitive game against Brighton midweek. He was outstanding against Watford in pre-season, has bided his time (still hasn't started a competitive game for us yet having been here for over a year) and deserves his chance.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hask
Martin Hasker

www.TeynAwayDays.com - Away travel for Cobblers

View Profile WWW
Webmaster Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 12:51:24 pm »

After seeing Hall at Birmingham, you'd have thought that he looked an excellent pick for this league, so let's hope it was just an off game. John-John is young and maybe not 100% match fit, but we know how good he is from last year

Overall I think Hall did well in the majority of the match, as did Johnon and Holt, but at times the unorganised manner was costly.  I was unsure about the loanee goalie and still am, he seemed to come out from goal too often at times when maybe he should stay near the line.   It is such a shame that Middlesboro would not release Steele.
Report Spam   Logged

www.teynawaydays.com Hotel End GTA Champion 2010/11 - Wearing the claret with pride.    X (Twitter) @martinhasker
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 14:15:29 pm »

Although we were bad defensively yesterday, I'm not going to panic just yet.

I'm still pretty happy with three out of four of our back line: Johnson, Beckwith and Hall.  We know Johnson is a good player but he's 'carrying a few extra pounds' according to Sammo and lacking in match practice: he'll come good. Hall will take also take a little bit of time to adjust to league two football and form an understanding with his colleagues. Beckwith proved last season that he's a solid campaigner and I don't think he was too much at fault yesterday. Holt is the major question mark for me, but even he didn't play that badly yesterday.

The goalie situation obviously doesn't help matters, but once Dunn gets back and the defence have had time to gel, I think we'll be ok and certainly a lot more solid than the debacle that was the start to last season.

Report Spam   Logged
dazza

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 15:50:00 pm »

I have just watched the goals and hope he is very dissapointed with himself for not holding the ball for the second goal. (It may have been the third)

He should be more dissapointed with the defence that allowed the shot in the first place.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: