The Hotel End
April 19, 2024, 20:50:09 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

We Love Sammo!

Poll
Question: Your the Chairman....how long do you give Sammo?
Sacked Now - 8 (12.5%)
Wait until after Ipswich - 8 (12.5%)
Wait until after Gillingham - 22 (34.4%)
Give him the next few weeks - 11 (17.2%)
Re-evaluate after Christmas or later than that - 15 (23.4%)
Total Voters: 54

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 75   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: We Love Sammo!  (Read 56771 times)
Marvo

Badges: (View All)
« Reply #100 on: September 20, 2010, 14:13:06 pm »

Well stop picking an unfit Gilligan (and playing him out of position) might help.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.
Report Spam   Logged
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #101 on: September 20, 2010, 16:59:21 pm »

I'm not really sure what some of you expect Sammo to do.

You judge a manager not by the circumstances in which he finds himself but by the decisions he makes in response. Sammo has made poor decisions in areas in which I would expect a good manager to do better, no matter what the circumstances: team selection, tactics and man-management. As Marvo says, can anyone really defend the continued selection of Gilligan at the moment?
Report Spam   Logged
TbananaG

« Reply #102 on: September 20, 2010, 17:08:13 pm »

Taking Harris off was a terrible piece of (mis-)management. He didn't have a great start to the game, but he was starting to settle, and what can it do to anyone's coinfidence to be taken off after half an hour?!

But who picked him to start? This wasn't some unknown loan player who performed less well than we'd hoped - it was Seb Harris, doing exactly what we might have expexcted.

And, all the psychology aside, it was a poor football decision as it turned out. JJ got out-jumped and out-muscled for their second, which I don't think would have happened to Harris, and he stood off the forward and let him shoot for their third - so you could even argue that the decision cost us the game.

And who's the manager who's reached this point of having three midfielders and an out of position attacking right back as his defence, injuries and bad luck aside - Harris shouldn't be made a scapegoat for that.

And what does it say of the manager's relationship with the captain - as the other centre back, did Holt say don't pick him, or did he say take him off...or do the manager and the captain disagree?

Shrewsbury are a very good team - including Harrald who was available to be bought for a long time this summer - big, effective centre forward anyone?! Nah, why would we need one of those. So, it's no surprise we lost, even if we do end up winning more than we lost this season. I also think that's about the last we'll see of Harris and he'll just fade away out of the game because he's probably just not good enough (but who signed him?)....but it was still a very poor bit of management.

Report Spam   Logged
PineWoody

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Level 4
« Reply #103 on: September 20, 2010, 17:14:31 pm »

. I'm not really sure what some of you expect Sammo to do.
My issues have very little to do with the squad, becuase I understand and accept that he has been operating with at least one hand tied behind his back. Infact, the signings of Hall, Johnson and Purcell all looked decent and Purcell's injury is just one of those things. My problem is the decisions that Sampson has made with that squad in terms of selection, tatics and man-management. I do not hate Gilligan, infact I think he is a decent squad player, but how he starts in central midfield infront of either Osmand or Wedderburn, who I think looks a very decent player is beyond me, and how he starts out wide ahead of Thornton or Jacobs is equally bemusing. We have seen that an off form Jacobs causes more problems than most other palyers in our squad.

And I still havent understood why Guinan started the first 5 games of this season, despite looking really s***e last year, and equally s***e in competitive games this year.

I have not given up hope on Sammo doing a good job for this team and our club, far from it, but his some of his decisions have been questionable at best.
Report Spam   Logged

GTA Champion - Season 09/10
guest216

« Reply #104 on: September 23, 2010, 10:34:30 am »

Honestly don't think I could ever criticize Sammo, or even Osman after this. They're all heroes. 
Report Spam   Logged
Marvo

« Reply #105 on: September 23, 2010, 10:55:37 am »

The thing is, although a lot of supporters said this game didn't matter, of course it did for long after the result against Bradford on Saturday, whatever it is, is long forgotten, some of you youngsters will still be boring the pants over the new generations about this night. I can see Karl getting stick for once again mentioning last night some 30 years down the line.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
guest49

« Reply #106 on: September 23, 2010, 11:46:37 am »

For a game that is 'more important' on Saturday, can you see the squad aquaplaning across sixfields after a 95th minute winner? Grin 
Report Spam   Logged
DL2

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 23, 2010, 12:03:33 pm »

Do you know Tel I was only thinking this morning what a Cobblers Legend he is.  On top of that he does genuinely care, he lives and breathes it with us, and to top it all he is a thoroughly decent bloke too. 

I am so pleased and proud for him.

Report Spam   Logged
DustCobb

« Reply #108 on: September 23, 2010, 12:14:46 pm »

Sammos celebrations were awesome!
Report Spam   Logged
The 12th Marquis of Sixfields
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
Search Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #109 on: September 23, 2010, 13:05:39 pm »

The thing is, although a lot of supporters said this game didn't matter, of course it did for long after the result against Bradford on Saturday, whatever it is, is long forgotten, some of you youngsters will still be boring the pants over the new generations about this night. I can see Karl getting stick for once again mentioning last night some 30 years down the line.  Smiley
i'm just gutted they aren't the sky game this weekend because i'd love to be in a pub full of the f***ers right now
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2023
County Cobbler

« Reply #110 on: September 26, 2010, 06:11:57 am »

Sammo said, in his post match interview that, 'getting a striker is on the backburner'.
When Purcell was fit he said the priority was 'getting a striker in', well McKenzie has surely only replaced Purcell. Am I misreading the situation?
DC said this week 'we aim to bring in 1 or 2 players', then surely there is no position a higher priority if we aim to get promotion!
We have needed another striker in the squad for over a month and having the contacts and obtaining players is part of Sammos job.
Good luck.
Report Spam   Logged
brickowski

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 26, 2010, 06:58:35 am »

They just beat Liverpool.

Go away.
Report Spam   Logged

there's only one Robbie Curtis
Marvo

« Reply #112 on: September 26, 2010, 07:16:17 am »

You have Hall, McKenzie and Beckwith not starting at present, all three you would have been expecting to command a place in the starting line-up but who do you drop to accomodate them?

We've lost one league game in the last seven and have beaten Brighton, Reading and Liverpool in the cup, of course signing any more players is now on the backburner, we're not Manchester United!
Report Spam   Logged
wazzacobbler

Warrington Cobblers Supporters

View Profile WWW
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #113 on: September 26, 2010, 08:42:05 am »

When Purcell was fit we were playing with 2 strikers up front. We don't need more than Billy, Leon and Stevie G when you also have Herbert who, although is finding his feet rather well on the wing, can be pushed up front if needed. 4 strikers in a squad is enough for now. It's if another long term injury happens we will need a new one. In my opinion, our strikeforce is in form and I'm happy with that right now
Report Spam   Logged

Host and Producer of the It's All Cobblers To Me podcast
@CobblersToMe @charlescommins
Razor

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #114 on: September 26, 2010, 15:17:22 pm »

We need 4 new strikers, 3 new midfielders and 7 new defenders sort it out Sammo Angry
Report Spam   Logged
dazza

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 26, 2010, 15:19:59 pm »

We need 4 new strikers, 3 new midfielders and 7 new defenders sort it out Sammo Angry

We still wont have any chance at all at Ipswich though.
Report Spam   Logged
NTFC Nut

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #116 on: September 26, 2010, 15:34:19 pm »

We still wont have any chance at all at Ipswich though.

Of course we'll have a chance. A very, very slim chance. Not a "good chance" as some of you are suggesting. The lads will put in a performance to be proud of, of that I'm sure, but if Ipswich play to their full potential it shouldn't matter how well we play, they should have enough about them to get the job done.

Once the (understandable) hysteria around Wednesday dies down you may look back and realise how ridiculous it is to start talking about how we've got a "good chance" up there. Lightning can't keep striking again and again and again; cup games are one-offs, anything can happen on the night and form often goes out the window- but that works both ways. Anfield will have no bearing on the Ipswich game. Wednesday was our night and nights like that come round once in a blue moon. That's why they're so special.
Report Spam   Logged

Dr Feelgood

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #117 on: September 26, 2010, 16:00:51 pm »

here we go again Grin
Report Spam   Logged

For goodness sake Doc we are NOT going down  Grin   you heard it here 1st  Wink

(I damn well hope that does not come back to haunt me)
Grove

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #118 on: September 26, 2010, 17:29:17 pm »

Sammo said, in his post match interview that, 'getting a striker is on the backburner'.
When Purcell was fit he said the priority was 'getting a striker in', well McKenzie has surely only replaced Purcell. Am I misreading the situation?
DC said this week 'we aim to bring in 1 or 2 players', then surely there is no position a higher priority if we aim to get promotion!
We have needed another striker in the squad for over a month and having the contacts and obtaining players is part of Sammos job.
Good luck.

DC has previously backed the club financially but it was the managers that wasted the investment.
Only a stupid business person would continue subsidising the club until the structure is in place to expand the club (and stadium).
Compared to other clubs the club is now on a sound financial footing and like the Liverpool windfall, he is releasing the extra cash for two more players.
Yes we all want millions spent of other peoples money to get the club into the Championship but not at the expense of bankruptcy.

Report Spam   Logged
County Cobbler

« Reply #119 on: September 26, 2010, 19:33:18 pm »

Grove-and your point is?
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 75   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: